Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Sounds like divine retribution for using presets imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
You are perhaps correct, Mr RangerScum. But the sorry state of Lightroom right now means I would not even be able to delete them and start a new life without crashing the program. I am therefore trapped in an everlasting loop of crashing, frustration and disgust.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Xabi posted:

You are perhaps correct, Mr RangerScum. But the sorry state of Lightroom right now means I would not even be able to delete them and start a new life without crashing the program. I am therefore trapped in an everlasting loop of crashing, frustration and disgust.
I uninstalled Lightroom, reinstalled 6.0, and downloaded a patch to get it to 6.1.1. Phone posting so I won't post a link but there are instructions and a link to the patch all over the Internet since yesterday.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I can't update any of my adobe products because the creative cloud app errors out every time. the only way i can upgrade is if i completely wipe my computer of everything adobe using adobe's own cleaner tool, and then reinstalling it from scratch hoping that I get the latest version. updates never work for me, and never have

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Xabi posted:

Might have something to do with your GPU acceleration settings, if you have it enabled and your card/driver is unsupported it will crash endlessly. There's an ini file you can edit to disable to GPU acceleration without opening lightroom if you google around you might find it?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks for the input, this seems to fix the problem:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

BANME.sh posted:

I can't update any of my adobe products because the creative cloud app errors out every time. the only way i can upgrade is if i completely wipe my computer of everything adobe using adobe's own cleaner tool, and then reinstalling it from scratch hoping that I get the latest version. updates never work for me, and never have

I've never used the adobe CC app to update everything because it refuses to work on my PC, however!! you can get all the direct install and update links from http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-direct-download-links.html

never have to use the stupid app again! it's pretty up to date from what I can see and if not they'll be up soon.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So apparently because I am a school teacher in Australia I can get Creative Cloud for $12 per year.

This makes me very pleased.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Are you sure it's not per month? I work in education and I can get the full suite for $14 monthly.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Checked it out - definitely $12 for the year.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

elgarbo posted:

Checked it out - definitely $12 for the year.

Hot diggity daffodil!

edit: well, I tried getting in touch with Adobe because I'm a pre-service teacher at an Australian uni, so was unsure if I'd qualify or what I'd need to prove it. In true Adobe style, there's no way to contact them via live chat, it appears that's only for paying CC subscribers. I've already got full LR and CS5 license on my account, but I guess I'm not giving them enough money to warrant support on how to give them more money :confused:

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

From what I can tell, it's a deal for NSW DEC teachers. I'll see if I can dig up more details about eligibility.

Edit: yep - looks as though the offer is for staff members at the DEC NSW. No idea if other states have similar offers.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 8, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Morning Lorikeet.
Is there any way to reduce that haloing around some of the branches in post? Might be a bit easier to see if you look at it full size (click it), but its very noticeable on a horizontal twig in the center of the image, vertically inline with his beak.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 11, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

elgarbo posted:

From what I can tell, it's a deal for NSW DEC teachers. I'll see if I can dig up more details about eligibility.

Edit: yep - looks as though the offer is for staff members at the DEC NSW. No idea if other states have similar offers.

Womp womp. Will check with the union anyhow!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because I'm finding that I'm bracketing like a motherfucker right now, just wondering :

If I have, say, 6 photos in Lightroom is there a way of making a selection and telling it to stack them AND make a specific photo on top? Just because it auto collapses it just means having to open it, click the photo I actually want on top (the HDR processed one), then collapse it again. It's a case of a few seconds if you only do it once but it's one of those boring tasks to do if you've got 50+ stacks to do at once.

Hell, I wish there was an action to tell it to HDR process all the selected photos and stack them with the HDR one on top in one button.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Because I'm finding that I'm bracketing like a motherfucker right now, just wondering :

If I have, say, 6 photos in Lightroom is there a way of making a selection and telling it to stack them AND make a specific photo on top? Just because it auto collapses it just means having to open it, click the photo I actually want on top (the HDR processed one), then collapse it again. It's a case of a few seconds if you only do it once but it's one of those boring tasks to do if you've got 50+ stacks to do at once.

Hell, I wish there was an action to tell it to HDR process all the selected photos and stack them with the HDR one on top in one button.

Why not just do it in Photoshop?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even though I have and pay for Photoshop, I just don't like it (this has been the way since the 2000s where I'd even use goddamned Fireworks over it). I love Lightroom and will do everything I can to keep my workflow inside it unless I really need not. It's no big deal, it's just one of those boring tasks that nobody can really enjoy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PS is just so much easier for fine tuning images. I find lightroom very blunt in comparison.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

bobmarleysghost posted:

PS is just so much easier for fine tuning images. I find lightroom very blunt in comparison.

yup. I use lightroom as a baseball bat for global changes. PS for everything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's not far off how I work... take 100-700 photos, catalog in LR then flag/rate/colourcode the ones I want to keep and edit, do all the necessary stuff like profile adjustments/cropping and colour fine tuning then export to Facebook/Flickr etc. If there's a pic or two I really like but is beyond the abilities of LR then I'll take it to PS and work on it some more there. I'm not particularly great at post work at the moment so I'm just happy with the amount of clear change you can make in LR, and I'll try get better bit by bit in PS, but I do prefer LR as an approach to software. I can fly through it pretty drat fast now (although whether I can do it 'well' is up to others... ;) )

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there an alternative to windows default picture viewer that works almost exactly the same BUT doesn't lag like poo poo with raws? I like to review my stuff before I import them and delete all the poo poo raws to save space, and its such a pain to do it in lightroom, its 3x as many clicks and only 1 at a time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Could you increase the size of the thumbnails in the LR import window then only check the photos you want to import?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Saint Fu posted:

Could you increase the size of the thumbnails in the LR import window then only check the photos you want to import?

I like to see them full size to judge whether or not I hit focus.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Faststone is faster than windows image preview, although it's not like it's a direct replacement. Pretty good for this use though.

If you shoot Canon, DPP is actually great for this (the quick check function) even if you don't like the UI for actual work

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I like to see them full size to judge whether or not I hit focus.

Adobe's Bridge does it well enough for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there an alternative to windows default picture viewer that works almost exactly the same BUT doesn't lag like poo poo with raws? I like to review my stuff before I import them and delete all the poo poo raws to save space, and its such a pain to do it in lightroom, its 3x as many clicks and only 1 at a time.

Import all your photos into Lightroom, use the reject button (x key) to flag pictures you want to delete. Once you're done go to the Photos menu and selected "delete rejected photos". It gives an option to purge the file from disk.

You can breeze through a couple thousand pictures really fast this way.

Also apply star ratings as you do this to mark photos you want to give more attention to when you get to the development stage.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm trying to push more of my post-processing into lightroom instead of photoshop so I'm just learning what's available.

I'm using a few graduated filters in this shot to drop the background and really put the focus on the bird, but I don't want the filter to touch the branch. Is there a way to achieve this?

Original:

After filters (bottom left part of the branch is the problem):

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

InternetJunky posted:

I'm trying to push more of my post-processing into lightroom instead of photoshop so I'm just learning what's available.

I'm using a few graduated filters in this shot to drop the background and really put the focus on the bird, but I don't want the filter to touch the branch. Is there a way to achieve this?

Original:

Can you use the adjustment brush with a big feather? Might have to do it in stages though

E: I originally meant do the effect you want with the brush but it might be quicker and easier to leave the filter and go backwards over it with the brush?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 17, 2015

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

InternetJunky posted:

Original:

I don't know, but the original photo looks much better than the edited one. The darkened corners are very distracting because they make my brain go "there's something supposed to be there, where is it?!". The background is already so much out of focus that it draws all the attention to the bird anyway.

Apologies for the derail.

Anyway, as mentioned above, either use an adjustment brush to darken the background or darken all and use an adjustment brush to bring the bird and branch back.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

InternetJunky posted:

Original:

Seems like a task that would be best accomplished using masks. LR only has auto mask, which can't be used for the gradient tool. PS has real masks, you're best off using PS for this sort of job.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Can you use the adjustment brush with a big feather? Might have to do it in stages though

E: I originally meant do the effect you want with the brush but it might be quicker and easier to leave the filter and go backwards over it with the brush?

quote:

Anyway, as mentioned above, either use an adjustment brush to darken the background or darken all and use an adjustment brush to bring the bird and branch back.

I tried to undo the gradient with an adjustment brush, but it's really hard to match the gradient. I was kind of hoping that I was missing a masking-type of feature, but I guess not.

Dren posted:

Seems like a task that would be best accomplished using masks. LR only has auto mask, which can't be used for the gradient tool. PS has real masks, you're best off using PS for this sort of job.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Caryna posted:

I don't know, but the original photo looks much better than the edited one. The darkened corners are very distracting because they make my brain go "there's something supposed to be there, where is it?!". The background is already so much out of focus that it draws all the attention to the bird anyway.

Apologies for the derail.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with what you're saying and already decided to ditch the edit, but figured I'd ask if what I was trying to achieve was possible. I really like the gradient tool so I'm guessing this won't be the last time I have this issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Using the adjustment brush to counter it is the old method and it always sucked. If you have the new LR you should see there's a brush within the grad filter itself to specifically mask out areas you don't want it to affect. Definitely works better. If you look for list of new features in LR6/CC it's one of the main things so there'll be guides showing where it is and how it works.

Wouldn't a touch of vignette be easier for this one? I usually put a varying amount on most of my pictures (never a massive amount, just a touch to emphasise the middle a bit more).

Ps love the toucan. Been trying to find someone who has one for our wedding!

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I'm a beginner to Lightroom, and I'm trying to figure out how to handle Raw + JPEG. This is what I'm trying to do.

1. Import everything into a Lightroom library
2. Get rid of the pictures that I don't want at all.
3. Keep the remaining JPEGS, then figure out which Raw photos I actually want to try and post-process. Remaining Raws get deleted.

Is this possible in Lightroom? Or is this a ridiculous workflow?

Also, how should I handle catalogs? Everyone seems to say to keep things on your local drive, but I have a MacBook Air and space is at a bit of a premium on the local drive. Is it ok to store catalogs on an external drive?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Stop taking jpegs, that will cut your workflow in half. Deal with the RAWs and flag-delete whatever you don't like.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Also, how should I handle catalogs? Everyone seems to say to keep things on your local drive, but I have a MacBook Air and space is at a bit of a premium on the local drive. Is it ok to store catalogs on an external drive?

You can do whatever you want, as long as you keep a backup of the catalog. Otherwise you're gonna cry painfully when that hard drive dies.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I hate to keep coming to this thread every time I have a lightroom question, but I can't find anything about this problem online. Hopefully someone here knows what I'm screwing up.

After I do my development on the picture in lightroom, this is what the image looks like when viewing it in "library" mode:

If I click on "develop", I can see that the sharpness is actually there.

Why does the version shown in the library view have all the sharpness gone?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Why does the version shown in the library view have all the sharpness gone?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

It has to do with the quality setting of the "standard" previews generated for your images, it seems

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 21, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

NeuralSpark posted:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

It has to do with the quality setting of the "standard" previews generated for your images, it seems
Awesome, thanks so much! It was driving me mad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grid view doesn't show you the actual image (or it'd be slow as balls). If this annoys you, generate 1:1 previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I need to reconfigure my Lightroom workflow. I currently have an iMac which was my sole computer for editing and archiving. Today I just bought a Macbook, which I would like to use to edit photos on the road and eventually move to my iMac when I return home.

In other words, I'd like to dump my SD card on my Macbook, edit them on the Macbook, then permanently move them over to my iMac where I can archive them (or do further editing). What's a good way to do this?

• Locked thread