Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Jury rules Apple owes $234 million for University of Wisconsin patents

quote:

A U.S. jury on Friday ordered Apple Inc (AAPL.O) to pay the University of Wisconsin-Madison's patent licensing arm more than $234 million in damages for incorporating its microchip technology into some of the company's iPhones and iPads without permission.

The amount was less than the $400 million the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) was claiming in damages after the jury on Tuesday said Apple (AAPL.O) infringed its patent for improving the performance of computer processors.

Apple said it would appeal the verdict, but declined to comment further.

WARF praised the verdict and said it was important to protect the university's inventions from unauthorized use. "This decision is great news," said WARF Managing Director Carl Gulbrandsen in a statement.

Jurors deliberated for about 3-1/2 hours before returning the verdict in the closely watched case in federal court in Madison, Wisconsin. It was the second phase of a trial that began on Oct. 5.

The jury was considering whether Apple's A7, A8 and A8X processors, found in the iPhone 5s, 6 and 6 Plus, as well as several versions of the iPad, violated the patent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure Apple will be crying about that as they pull it out of the couch cushions.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thank you timb for filling in for the 300 million scott walker cut from the university of wisconsin system

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's an interesting case because the same people went after Intel years ago and settled out of court, Intel was making arguments that they had given money to the researchers and it was funded by US grants which made the whole thing a little weird. im not really down with patenting work you do on the gov't dime unless the parents can be licensed at a reduced rate or are open in some way

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the article I read called WARF a patent troll group lol

e: ^ eliminate all software patents information wants to be free

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

processor technology doesnt sound like a typical software patent. not gonna read the article right now, and it could be some microcode optimization stuff that would essentially be software, but if its like some die tech stuff thats a totally valid patent.

also gonna agree that patenting research funded by grants is kinda bullshit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

get this: the vast majority of publicly-funded research is behind an infinite series of very expensive paywalls so people can only get scientific information from lovely angelfire websites about morgellon's

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

get this: the vast majority of publicly-funded research is behind an infinite series of very expensive paywalls so people can only get scientific information from lovely angelfire websites about morgellon's

im aware, yes. i think there are plenty of legitimate reasons that the system works as it does, but I don't have to be happy about all of the repercussions of it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

processor technology doesnt sound like a typical software patent. not gonna read the article right now, and it could be some microcode optimization stuff that would essentially be software, but if its like some die tech stuff thats a totally valid patent.

also gonna agree that patenting research funded by grants is kinda bullshit.

Table based data speculation circuit for parallel processing computer  

A predictor circuit permits advanced execution of instructions depending for their data on previous instructions by predicting such dependencies based on previous mis-speculations detected at the final stages of processing. Synchronization of dependent instructions is provided by a table creating entries for each instance of potential dependency. Table entries are created and deleted dynamically to limit total memory requirements.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well that seems alright for a patent as such. its not "a method for viewing motion pictures via the internet"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea :agreed:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dodoman posted:

this is pathetic and you're a loving idiot

fake fishmech wsa right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

mouse chat:

apple has always built their mice to be better for you based on science. the idea is you should not have to bend your wrist while using it, as that can strain the wrist. so the mice are quite flat compared to PC mice, who seem to unanimously not care if you get Carpal Tunnel syndrome. its pretty weird to me that companies would continue to sell mice that they know are bad for you. i guess it's because they can only sell things on that basis of familiarity.

if you remember the original design for the PS3 "boomerang" controller, it was the same idea. it was designed so you could use it without bending your wrists.

i believe this is the same reason the mouse acceleration on OS X is so low. Carpal Tunnel is caused by micro movements, not wide, sweeping movements. so if the OS makes you cover a wider area with your mouse to move the cursor, it's actually better for you.

also here's a profile view of the mouse. because of the arc design, there's nowhere to put the lightning port except the underside. jony et al could redesign the whole thing, but why radically redesign a mouse in 2015 when it's popularity is rapidly declining in favour of touch? this will probably be the last ever update to this product so why dedicate the effort when they just redesigned the keyboard and trackpad and are presently designing the iPhone 7 and next Macbook Pros?

redesigning this would be like voting for Obama for a 3rd term. a nice compliment, but a waste.

lmao.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple mice are the worst in the world with absolutely no ergonomic design.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

it's really good actually

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

shaggar is right tbh, and ive been an apple user since the 1980s.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

shaggar is right tbh, and ive been an apple user since the 1980s.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

if they take in to account occupational health and safety, it's ergonomic.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple mice have always been terrible

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Kevin, this is not the hill you want to die on

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
got a 6s plus and it's quite needs suiting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hes right. the magic mouse is great and feels good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Management posted:

Kevin, this is not the hill you want to die on

the only good apple mouse was the classic-era mouse that was hella square and had one button and was beige as gently caress. Clicking that felt really good and effective.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
wireless mice in general are bad

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I had a wireless intellimouse that was ok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my wireless mouse suits my needs

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

apple trackpads are very needs suiting

logitech mx master is a great mouse tho

people who use trackballs are weird

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wanna try out the trackpad, it looks sweet and sometimes i wanna make gestures but i got a middling tier logitech wheel+2 buttons pos

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I have a magic trackpad I dragged with me to the us for some reason even though I ditched the imac back in london. if someone thinks they'll use it pm me and I'll send it. it owns bones but I'm on a rmbp now and either use the inbuilt trackpad or my mx

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
magic trackpad: for when you want the experience of controlling your computer by tickling a robot's taint

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this is fake right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWLoY6qbiY

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

lmfao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the iPhone 5s

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
just a lovely camera. maybe webcam. i guess it could be a phone or budget dslr tho

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I like my Magic Mouse

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

logitech mx master supremacy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

logitech mx master supremacy

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I like my Magic Mouse

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
shoudl i get a 6s or a 6? is teh battery life worse on the 6s? does it matter? whats the yospinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the plus is too big

• Locked thread