Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

The unique Elective Monarchy that Poland has now works like this: other nations can send diplomats to support their candidate to the elective throne of Poland-Lithuania. Their score ticks up monthly based on dip rep and their relations with you. You can spend Legitimacy to support your own local Polish candidate who will have slightly better stats. These scores can change by event too.

Home-grown candidates will have low Legitimacy, so it's probably only worth spending Legitimacy to elect a local candidate if they are really good and young. Foreign kings will have high Legitimacy but you'll lose one diplomat (oh well). Sometimes you can luck out on PUs since you're cycling through kings of various dynasties.

When a new King comes to power you'll get an event where the Sejm decides to play nice or say gently caress YOU DAD. The main advantage to Elective monarchy is no regencies and the potential for lucky PUs. After 1600 you'll get an uprising and can choose to end the Elective monarchy and go Absolute.

There are some other nuances that are worth reading through the wiki a bit, like getting an event that increases war exhaustion reduction and inflation cost by +50% if you elect a leader with less than 2 in any skill, and you need that event to eventually declare an absolute monarchy, so I usually just try and hold off as long as possible. Home-grown candidates typically have pretty decent stats, but you can get lucky with foreign ones for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That's cool, I've played a ton of EU3 and some EU4 so having a little twist on the usual is nice. Should I start in 1444 before the PU or a few years later after the Lithuanian PU kicks in just to give myself a bit of a buffer?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It's trivial to get the PU in the regular start, you have a decision for it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
To the Paradoxers who read this thread:

Really small issue, but there's a "bug" with the HRE screen if you're the emperor, which is that the scores displayed show whether or not they'd vote for the current emperor as next emperor (which they can't because he'll be dead) rather than their heir.

This is only an issue if you have a female heir and the Pragmatic Sanction hasn't fired, but yeah I just had a game where my Imperial ambitions fell apart because of bad luck and assuming that the vote scores were for my heir and not me.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Can you still do the Prussian culture switch and HRE join with Poland? Keeping the PU with Lithuania seems hard with all that negative prestige from selling your provinces.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

Can you still do the Prussian culture switch and HRE join with Poland? Keeping the PU with Lithuania seems hard with all that negative prestige from selling your provinces.

Probably but I don't really see why you would want to. You'd have to sell more than half your development to vassals. Seems to me a lot less attractive opening now that you get a free Westernization at ADM tech 10.

Prussian ideas are also not that much better than Poland's and assuming you take Humanist (you should!) the culture acceptance is something I think you'd want to hang onto.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Prussian ideas are also not that much better than

What.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Polish vs. Prussian
25% manpower for both
10% infantry combat ability and 33% cavalry combat ability vs. 20% infantry combat ability
15% morale vs. 20% morale
5% discipline vs. 7.5% discipline

Then Poland gets -20% cav cost and -10% regiment cost, heretic tolerance and cultural acceptance vs. army tradition and decay, aggressive expansion for Prussia.

Yeah clearly Prussia has stronger military bonuses but Poland gets all the same stuff and I don't think it's worth giving up Poland's cultural and heretic tolerance.

Also, it occurs to me a larger drawback to joining the HRE is you're reduced to Duke rank, meaning you lose a diplomat which is gonna suck as Poland (who will lose another diplomat with foreign heirs).

Edit: like I think it's best to have a well-rounded set of morale, discipline/combat ability, manpower, etc. bonuses and both Poland and Prussia get that. For me it's a marginal upgrade rather than something game-changing like going from most of the other German ideas to Prussian, as they don't already have a well-rounded set of military bonuses.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 17, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pellisworth posted:

Also, it occurs to me a larger drawback to joining the HRE is you're reduced to Duke rank, meaning you lose a diplomat which is gonna suck as Poland (who will lose another diplomat with foreign heirs).

I think you also need to be a kingdom to get that free westernization from Gdansk.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Disco Infiva posted:

I think you also need to be a kingdom to get that free westernization from Gdansk.

You're correct.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I figured out why my glorious economy had crashed seemingly overnight. I was 35 units over the force limit. I thought force limit was some sort of combat related term like shock or fire. I scaled back on my army and my income went from +7 to +22. :downs:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm doing a run for "Sweden is not overpowered!" where you need to capture the whole Baltic coast. It's 1484 now, I've eaten most of Scandinavia and have the best navy in the Baltic:

That's Pommerania on Jutland, taking my rightful Danish provinces. The Germans are one problem: it's been really hard to take coastal HRE provinces because emperor Bohemia and a bunch of minors throw huge stacks at me. I'm BFF with Poland but they've been declaring unwinnable wars and losing territory. The other problem is that Muscovy is steamrolling big time and will probably head to the Baltic pretty soon, and I'm not sure how to deal with the doomstacks they can manage. I took Innovative as first idea group, maybe military something would have been better. So the question is how do I expand into the HRE, and how do I deal with Russia's rise? I wanted to use what remains of Novgorod as a buffer state but they hate me too...

This is the nth game where I've seen Burgundy and England taking over France, too. Weird.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm doing a run for "Sweden is not overpowered!" where you need to capture the whole Baltic coast. It's 1484 now, I've eaten most of Scandinavia and have the best navy in the Baltic:

That's Pommerania on Jutland, taking my rightful Danish provinces. The Germans are one problem: it's been really hard to take coastal HRE provinces because emperor Bohemia and a bunch of minors throw huge stacks at me. I'm BFF with Poland but they've been declaring unwinnable wars and losing territory. The other problem is that Muscovy is steamrolling big time and will probably head to the Baltic pretty soon, and I'm not sure how to deal with the doomstacks they can manage. I took Innovative as first idea group, maybe military something would have been better. So the question is how do I expand into the HRE, and how do I deal with Russia's rise? I wanted to use what remains of Novgorod as a buffer state but they hate me too...

This is the nth game where I've seen Burgundy and England taking over France, too. Weird.

The easiest way to deal with the HRE would have been to snag Blekinge in your independence war (while improving relations with Austria) then release Finland and join the HRE yourself. Finland is only like four provinces now and I think more useful as a vassal for a while anyway.

That's a big Muscovy but I'd bet they're a paper tiger. Likely they are a mil tech or two behind and they haven't converted all those Sunni provinces so their religious unity is poo poo. Lean heavily on mercs to soak the attrition and with BFF Poland you really shouldn't have much trouble clowning Muscovy. Do it soon though you don't want to wait until they fill out some Religious ideas and get stable and caught up on tech.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Polish vs. Prussian
25% manpower for both
10% infantry combat ability and 33% cavalry combat ability vs. 20% infantry combat ability
15% morale vs. 20% morale
5% discipline vs. 7.5% discipline

Then Poland gets -20% cav cost and -10% regiment cost, heretic tolerance and cultural acceptance vs. army tradition and decay, aggressive expansion for Prussia.

Yeah clearly Prussia has stronger military bonuses but Poland gets all the same stuff and I don't think it's worth giving up Poland's cultural and heretic tolerance.

Edit: like I think it's best to have a well-rounded set of morale, discipline/combat ability, manpower, etc. bonuses and both Poland and Prussia get that. For me it's a marginal upgrade rather than something game-changing like going from most of the other German ideas to Prussian, as they don't already have a well-rounded set of military bonuses.

You're neglecting the best part of Prussia's ideas; their +army tradition and -tradition decay. It lets them have God generals continuously once they get Defensive and Quality going. Or Aristocratic. You poop out 5/6 pip generals and your armies will continually stack wipe the opposition while taking insignificant losses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

You're neglecting the best part of Prussia's ideas; their +army tradition and -tradition decay. It lets them have God generals continuously once they get Defensive and Quality going. Or Aristocratic. You poop out 5/6 pip generals and your armies will continually stack wipe the opposition while taking insignificant losses.

That's the main difference, yeah. Poland gets cheaper cav and regiments in general plus heretic/cultural tolerance, Prussia gets AT and AE reduction.

If there's one single thing that makes Prussians stack wipe like mofos I'd say it's actually the +20% Morale (though you're getting even more morale from AT too).

In practical terms how would you even do that with Poland anyway? I think you need to keep the Poland tag to remove Elective Monarchy past 1600, and the tolerance bonuses are going to be really nice once you integrate Lithuania. Would you wait until after 1600 and switching to Absolute Monarchy?

Edit: you'd also have to do it before integrating Mazovia as that gives you too many Polish provinces. So I suppose you'd hoover up the TO, culture swap, then actually form Prussia once you're rid of Elective or just keep that. German culture means you can more easily join the HRE but the issue there is dropping to Duke rank, I think.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 17, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fister Roboto posted:

Also before going after Novgorod, I'd suggest forging claims on Tver and Ryazan and attacking them both. Vassalize Ryazan and give Tver to your other vassal Yaroslavl. The former is really important because the Golden Horde to the south usually goes after them early on.

Just as a note, you can start forging a claim on Ryazan and (im not sure why Tver here, it's one province that you can pick up anytime especially if you're the only one bordering them) Golden Horde, while taking the "Conquer Novgorod" mission to get claims on all of Novgorod. Then you can do a day 1 war vs Novgorod so that it's almost wrapped up when Golden Horde declares on Ryazan roughly 1.5 years in.

If you have rivaled Golden Horde along with Novgorod (the third should be up to you) you can get a Humiliate in on GH and along with Novgorod's provinces / humiliate you should be near 100 PP, which helps since you're only two years in and your king is pretty crappy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
PP is delicious

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ven->Byz is a fun game but I got bored around 1700 as usual.

Wallachia, Armenia, and Chernigov are my vassals. I just integrated an Eretna that I had blocking the eastern edge of Anatolia to let me core all those provinces for cheap and I'm currently integrating Armenia.

I'm allied to HRE Bohemia and have been for a long time so I never bothered taking the last two provinces from Austria that would let me complete Italy and connect the two halves of my empire. Hungary has been allied to France for literally the entire game and for most of it they were also allied to Austria as well so it's always been a pain to take land from them, so I spent most of my time on Italy and Africa/Asia instead.

I'm sure I could spend another hundred years conquering Spain, France, the rest of North Africa, East Africa, and Persia, but it just seems like so much effort when I'm already the most powerful country and it's a big pain moving armies around by boat to get them from war to war. I tend to be a pretty relaxed player and I'm happier fighting a limited war against Persia with just a few local armies than I am taking everybody to northern Italy and getting into a huge war with France, so most of my European conflicts have been pretty localized, mostly waiting for smaller powers to be left vulnerable or joining Bohemia's wars.

I do recommend it for anybody looking for a fun game though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

Ugh silly DoF question, Austria is defender of the Catholic faith, I am going to war with Orthodox Lüneburg. I can make Catholic The Hansa a co-belligerent, will Austria as DoF get called in?

Kinda want to finish eating up all of the Lübeck Trade node but Austria being DoF fucks with that a lot, so far I've just been force converting every HRE minor I can to Orthodox.

Right so I found the answer to this, DoF behave like the Emperor, they are only called by the primary target of a war.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vyelkin posted:

Ven->Byz is a fun game but I got bored around 1700 as usual.

I'm sure I could spend another hundred years conquering Spain, France, the rest of North Africa, East Africa, and Persia, but it just seems like so much effort

This is how a lot of my games end where there's no achievments left or goals to pursue.

There should be a "Simulate to 1821" option where you just let the AI do the cleanup for you and look at the pretty maps at the end :3:

Or hell an absentee ruler mode where the AI will run your country and you can leave it on speed 5 while you watch a movie idk.

As silly as those sound I'd find it fun if those runs could be finished without doing the work to get them there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Note that if Austria loses the crown to Bohemia in the first few months (which is pretty damned common), you can join the HRE with all of the provinces you start with.

Disco Infiva posted:

You do. What I did was join the Empire in the first few months of the game, play normally until 1600 and the defeat of the Sejm, and then get myself elected as Emperor (it's tough to do before that due to your chronic legitimacy issues). All the while I'm feeding Lithuania like crazy. After getting elected Emperor, take the decision to form the Commonwealth, which will push you back up to Kingdom rank but out of the Empire. Same day, take the Western Focus decision. Then readd yourself to Empire if you want. Here's where that wound up:

Empire is ~60% Protestant, with the rest being Orthodox provinces I never bothered to convert. I also rule France in a personal union. Provence and Croatia are vassals I forgot to add to the HRE before releasing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'm trying a Meissner Porcelain game. It's around 1500 and things are going pretty well - I should be the emperor soon, for whatever that's worth... but I just realized I have absolutely no plan for how to get to Asia. Through Poland/Lithuania and Russia? Through Austria and the Middle East? All the way around the northern coast of Europe? None of those sound particularly easy...

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
I simply waited until my colonial range was ~500, which is enough to directly jump from lübeck to cap verde to the cape and then across the indian ocean island to east asia. I didn't want to deal with a snake all the way to asia.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Finished up my silly 1776-1821 USA game. You can only really win the war with a lot of mercenaries, and all the land in North America is total poo poo (3 development everywhere) but it's pretty much your continent once you win. It's easy to overrun all the natives to get the center of the continent, and then i was able to colonize all the way to Oregon pretty easily. imperialist wars versus neighbors took care of the rest, and I grabbed a bunch of African provinces (even though I'd banned slavery) and some of the Caribbean. I did manage to hit my goal of becoming an official Empire by the end, with total development over 1000. The little dots inside america are Cree, Cherokee, and Spanish Louisiana (couldn't get enough warscore vs Spain.)

Also amusing: the Thirteen Colonies formed in British Florida and got free. After I jumped them they fled to a couple random provinces in La Plata, still the Thirteen Colonies forevermore.

I played USA back before El Dorado before the achievement. You got like 20 generals and are forced to pick and choose your favorite American generals (dismissed George Washington). I don't know if it has been improved but back then the AI was seemingly worse than it is now and I won without a single battle with the British.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm trying a Meissner Porcelain game. It's around 1500 and things are going pretty well - I should be the emperor soon, for whatever that's worth... but I just realized I have absolutely no plan for how to get to Asia. Through Poland/Lithuania and Russia? Through Austria and the Middle East? All the way around the northern coast of Europe? None of those sound particularly easy...

If you have Mediterranean access, jumping to Egypt to India to China would be the fastest route unless there's something making other routes specifically easier for you to follow. Maybe the Americas if you pick up exploration? 1500 is probably still to early to get reach from Germany but you should be getting near that point.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I can't find my screenshot anymore but I did a Saxony snake, trough Poland/Lith/Crimea then trough some hordes and then south at the first porcelain province. Make sure to keep newly conquered provinces blocked by a vassal so you get the colony coring discount, then integrate them step by step.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Pellisworth posted:

PP is delicious

Who doesn't enjoy a good shower of PP. It's golden.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Any fun things to do for a colonizing Netherlands in Europe? I5 After I get all the Low Countries, including Calais and Picardie I get Normandy as a vassal for the sweet North Sea trade power, eat east Frisia to piss in the Hansa's cornflakes (and improve trade power with some market action). Once that's done I tend to struggle to find things to do that don't include colonizing all their historical spots, every island I can get my hands on and monopolizing trade nodes

Usual idea progression is exploration > expansion > quantity > trade > plutocracy > econ > mystery choices because I usually don't play this far. (probably admin ideas, or maritime for confirm thalassocracy and an extra merchant)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hambilderberglar posted:

Any fun things to do for a colonizing Netherlands in Europe? I5 After I get all the Low Countries, including Calais and Picardie I get Normandy as a vassal for the sweet North Sea trade power, eat east Frisia to piss in the Hansa's cornflakes (and improve trade power with some market action). Once that's done I tend to struggle to find things to do that don't include colonizing all their historical spots, every island I can get my hands on and monopolizing trade nodes

Usual idea progression is exploration > expansion > quantity > trade > plutocracy > econ > mystery choices because I usually don't play this far. (probably admin ideas, or maritime for confirm thalassocracy and an extra merchant)

Grab all the trade centers and estuaries feeding into the channel, just to make your trade income even more obscene is my go to for messing about in the channel.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Doing a Knights run for the King of Jerusalem achievement, taking my sweet time dismantling the Ottos. Little did I know the decision disappears after 1650 :smithicide:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Hit 1mil manpower in 1698 and decided it's time to give up on that Russia game, I completly dominated the Lübeck Constantinople trade nodes getting silly trade money while also having insane production income. Even if my 700k troops are weak they're so many they still beat the poo poo out of anyone.

Guess it's time for the next achievement, anyone got ideas for Norwegian Wood?

Maybe try to restart until England allies Denmark and France rivals both England and Denmark, then ask France for help in the war and claim a lot of English provinces in the peace?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now that I've had a chance to play around with development a lot, I feel like the whole system is really bland and boring. It's basically only something you do when you have nothing else to spend monarch points on (which is better than letting them go to waste, don't get me wrong). It's a great idea, but in execution it just falls flat.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks to your wonderful advice I managed to get the ball rolling on my muscovy game. And it's a wrecking ball: by 1515 I'm allied with poland (which still has Lithuania under PU) and have absorbed all my starting vassals, novgorod and kazan, plus got ryazan, golden horde and sibir as vassals. With religious ideas I can take sunni land easily, defensive keeps my stacks fed and attackers should think twice about invading. Soon I will start colonizing siberia, and probably take a bite out of livonian order before poland does.

Not bad at all :smug:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 18, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fister Roboto posted:

Now that I've had a chance to play around with development a lot, I feel like the whole system is really bland and boring. It's basically only something you do when you have nothing else to spend monarch points on (which is better than letting them go to waste, don't get me wrong). It's a great idea, but in execution it just falls flat.

Coming back to the game after a long hiatus, I think it's alright. It's not exactly engaging or interesting or anything, but like you said it's something to spend points on.

In general now that I'm back at the game, it feels like its less obtuse about its mechanics than before and I have a better idea of how everything works. I came back to CK2 after a year long hiatus and I was surprised by how they've revamped the user experience there too.

I'm been dicking around with Poland and turned it into the Commonwealth ASAP (in the screenshot it's been that way for a while):

I'm creating vassals and growing them and then annexing them when the time is right, that's fun, but I think something like Novgorod's gonna be a long-term or permanent vassal that I keep feeding eastern provinces to. Livonia will get a few more provinces and then get integrated, and then I'll conquer and release Finland and start feed Sweden to it. :getin:

Also, Silesia there has the same dynasty as my current monarch and they're old buddies so they became vassals voluntarily. I was astonished because that kind of thing basically never happened outside of historical situations in the previous games. They also have a good shot at getting their old core Ratibor back under the Commonwealth wing so it makes perfect sense. Austria and Hungary are joined at the hip so it's not like Austria would ever have it returned. Maybe with Silesia I can worm my way into the HRE without getting unlawful territory poo poo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How long are the "Sow discontent" penalties supposed to last? Because all my provinces seem to have a permanent +3 revolt risk thanks to Lan Na taking espionage and rivaling me.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fister Roboto posted:

What were you expecting from the development system?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shayu posted:

I played USA back before El Dorado before the achievement. You got like 20 generals and are forced to pick and choose your favorite American generals (dismissed George Washington). I don't know if it has been improved but back then the AI was seemingly worse than it is now and I won without a single battle with the British.

I went with Benedict Arnold as my only general, he did a great job for a couple decades. :v: Overall the game does a terrible job with the revolutionary war – British don't occupy your cities, the naval front doesn't exist because of British doomfleets, and you can't really "lose" the war at all, though I found it fun to occupy enough of Canada to make the British release Scotland. Fun rampaging all over the continent though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's no replacement for wartime gameplay, but it adds another dimension to the game so long as you are doing a multicultural empire, by allowing you to develop different culture provinces to the point where they become accepted and maintain them as such as you expand further. Otherwise, rather bland, but it is more than nice to have.

TorakFade posted:

Thanks to your wonderful advice I managed to get the ball rolling on my muscovy game. And it's a wrecking ball: by 1515 I'm allied with poland (which still has Lithuania under PU) and have absorbed all my starting vassals, novgorod and kazan, plus got ryazan, golden horde and sibir as vassals. With religious ideas I can take sunni land easily, defensive keeps my stacks fed and attackers should think twice about invading. Soon I will start colonizing siberia, and probably take a bite out of livonian order before poland does.

Not bad at all :smug:

You should be looking into replacing Poland as an ally and getting in a fight with them. There's a good chance they'll rival you once their rival options are narrowed down, but even if they don't, you'll want to expand into Lithuania; I think Smolensk is one of the required provinces to form Russia, but even if it isn't obligatory you'll still want to go for it, for Ukraine, and so on and so forth.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

MrBling posted:

How long are the "Sow discontent" penalties supposed to last? Because all my provinces seem to have a permanent +3 revolt risk thanks to Lan Na taking espionage and rivaling me.

They last until your spies detect their spies, which might never happen. I found this out when Dai Viet sunk my legitimacy to like 30...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jean Pony posted:

Doing a Knights run for the King of Jerusalem achievement, taking my sweet time dismantling the Ottos. Little did I know the decision disappears after 1650 :smithicide:

That's kinda bullshit. Yeah it coincides with the "The Crusades ended after 1650" but geez, if the Knights Templar are still around in 1650, they should be able to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

• Locked thread