Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
There's a mod out there that replaces all the dead trees in Fo3 with gigantic living ones, it's actually pretty neat. When used with the mods that remove the green tinge in makes the Wasteland look like like the Earth is more or less plodding along alright, but people are still loving each other over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Baron Bifford posted:

Did the games ever explain why America is still a wasteland after so much time? You'd think the biosphere would have regenerated after 200 years.

It did make a bit more sense in NV since it was in the Mojave. The state of the fauna looked at about the right level of recovery. FO1 and FO2 happened in a time frame it would make sense for the biosphere to be completely wrecked. I don't know what the deal with FO3 was.

Edit: I guess the idea was that since everything was powered by nuclear fission (think the Corvegas) it wasn't fallout from the bombs per say that left everything irradiated beyond recovery.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 18, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Baron Bifford posted:

Did the games ever explain why America is still a wasteland after so much time? You'd think the biosphere would have regenerated after 200 years.

They just looked at modern America and copied it. :smug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There are people that would like to see mutant flora and new fauna take over biospheres and then there are "Purists" who will cry to high heaven about ruined atmosphere and missing essential fallout style if it isn't the same bombed out nothing from FO3. Both can be cool and both have people that will argue about it till the game's released and this thread is dead because we're playing 4.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

why not both at the same time

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

frajaq posted:

why not both at the same time

They actually seem to have taken this approach with Fo4. I remember listening to one of the talks they gave and they mentioned that different parts of the world have different atmospheres. A lot of it is clean air blue sky and all that jazz, but apparently there's also a ground zero area that's more like Fo3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It did make a bit more sense in NV since it was in the Mojave. The state of the fauna looked at about the right level of recovery. FO1 and FO2 happened in a time frame it would make sense for the biosphere to be completely wrecked. I don't know what the deal with FO3 was.

Edit: I guess the idea was that since everything was powered by Nuclear Fission it wasn't fallout from the bombs per say that left everything irradiated beyond recovery.

That's a neat way to think of it. I can't imagine the leaking nuclear radiation from all those loving cars.

I will also say that the area you play in in DC was mostly suburbs and buildings before the war, so it can take longer to regrow there. Which adds the weird question of why are only one building per square mile standing. Or why there's no building rubble.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Nasgate posted:

Which adds the weird question of why are only one building per square mile standing. Or why there's no building rubble.

because it's a video game

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Where did the Tunnel Snakes find those greaser jackets?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a pop culture fantasy version of radiation not a realistic portrayal.
Is a little handwaving explanation too much to ask for?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I don't know what the deal with FO3 was.
I wondered how exactly the people of the Capitol Wasteland were feeding themselves. I don't remember coming across a single farm.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

delicious Mirelurk/Molerat meat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I really liked FO3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Edit: I guess the idea was that since everything was powered by nuclear fission (think the Corvegas) it wasn't fallout from the bombs per say that left everything irradiated beyond recovery.

I assumed it was like that because it was DC and it was probably hit by a ton of bombs targeted at DC.

sector_corrector posted:

It's hard to catch unless you're paying attention, but Caesar knows this and is doing it on purpose. He's obsessed with the Hegelian dialectic, and thinks of the NCR as the thesis and purposefully models his proto-fascist legion as the antithesis with the idea that as they enter their final conflict they will eventually produce a synthesis that will be greater than any pre-war society. It comes from him being a sociolinguist for the Followers and being disgusted with their soft left humanism, as well as the bureaucratic rot of the NCR which he saw as a replication of old world moral decadence.

So, by design the Legion is unstable without him, because he wants it to collapse after his death and reform into something else (much like how the historical Roman empire paved the way for the modern nation-state). He chose to model on Rome because of its historical distance, and also because it's an ideology that's pure enough to withstand corruption while still meeting the brutality of the wasteland.

This is definitely the plan of a crazy person, and what will likely happen is that he will arm a bunch of proto-fascist thugs and then rip away the stability holding them in check after his death, but it's part of his plan.
That makes sense in a way. so he is basically hoping that one of his underlings ends up being the next Augustus, reforms his empire and takes over the ncr, but he will probably just be left with a bunch of commodus and Caligulas.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 18, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I really liked FO3.
New Vegas was better in every way.

frajaq posted:

delicious Mirelurk/Molerat meat
What do the molerats eat?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Radioactive junk, probably.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Baron Bifford posted:

Todd Howard's Fallout Bible should say "photosynthesis or some poo poo"

iGestalt posted:

Radioactive junk, probably.
e: but bio-accumulation and stuff

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

Is a little handwaving explanation too much to ask for?

There's a shitton of radiation. That's the handwaving explanation.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

I wondered how exactly the people of the Capitol Wasteland were feeding themselves. I don't remember coming across a single farm.
Arefu has a farm, and outside the Regulator HQ is another one. (Which always ends up with all the cattle dead as soon as you fast travel there from whatever poo poo spawns at the same time.) There's another farm north of Canterbury Commons and south of the Republic of Dave, though that one was overrun by raiders. But all you see is cattle ranching and not agriculture. My guess is that it was cut back due to time/cost/hardware limits, since it's it's referred to as early as Shady Sands in Fallout 1. But references to it (and sidequests involving it) did come back in New Vegas, and it's going to be something you'll be able to take part in depth in 4.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd assume they're scavengers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I really liked FO3.

Brave

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Baron Bifford posted:

It's okay for you to think that. I disagree but that's okay.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Because Fallout 1 and 2 did not have a contiguous world, you could always say the farms were "outside the map". There was also Modoc, an actual farming community. But Fallout 3 was an open world game, so the absence of farms felt a bit glaring.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah radiation in Fallout works like radiation in cheesy 50s scifi. This is done deliberately as part of the setting so it's pretty silly to act like it's a mistake or oversight.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I really liked FO3.

Report and move on

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

New Vegas was great at faking the post apocalypse. It looked like a wasteland because... it naturally was a wasteland. poo poo was pretty verdant all things considered!

Everything was run down and ruined not because they were still reeling from the bombs. I was because they were frontier people living in refugee camps.

Elsewhere it's implied to be pretty different. Zion is alive, the NCR is implied to have its poo poo together. California probably looks like 19th century America, and they've probably got people keeping the streets clean, and new concrete structures without any clutter... we just happen to see the peripheral wasteland that happens to look exactly like Fallout 3. But with way more reason to look that way than DC had.

It was a neat trick that honestly worked really well for me. It actually asked the question, "Why would poo poo still look this way two hundred years after the bombs?" and answered it without sacrificing the expected aesthetic.

(Military bases and the strip were still a bit more cluttered than you'd expect, but it wasn't too jarring for me, all things considered.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Generation Internet posted:

They actually seem to have taken this approach with Fo4. I remember listening to one of the talks they gave and they mentioned that different parts of the world have different atmospheres. A lot of it is clean air blue sky and all that jazz, but apparently there's also a ground zero area that's more like Fo3.

I'm pretty sure they also said there are radioactive storms that can come and go even in the more 'clean' areas, so yeah I like what they are saying about weather and environment.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It'll be a little disappointing if there isn't glowy radioactive storms or snow in the ground zero areas.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't think there will be any snow (no glowing green snow like in the Zion diaries anyway) but the Rad Storms are complete with radioactive lightning. I can't find the video where Todd was talking about them but I do distinctly remember him describing them to the interviewer. Apparently if you get caught in one and stand too close to an area that gets struck you get a nice jolt of rads.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That makes sense in a way. so he is basically hoping that one of his underlings ends up being the next Augustus, reforms his empire and takes over the ncr, but he will probably just be left with a bunch of commodus and Caligulas.

Yep. I think that's also the intended historical referent that the player is meant to latch on to as well. It's also worth noting that Caesar is perfectly fine with the brutality of the Legion, since he's intimately familiar with the brutality of the Wasteland (he was captured and tortured by tribals), and that guides how ineffectual he sees humanism and democracy as being able to meet that brutality. Therefore, for Caesar, the NCR embodies the worst aspects of the old world, is unable to adequately protect civilization after its inevitable fall, and the lip service it pays towards democracy (even if it is legitimate) is worthless. Caesar's synthesis probably still has a lot of that brutality still in effect, but with slightly more freedoms.

Caesar actually reminds me a lot of the dork enlightenment idiots you see all over the Internet, except he's violent enough to actually bring his ideas into the world and not just post uselessly on a RobCo BBS relay or w/e.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Baron Bifford posted:

But Fallout 3 was an open world game, so the absence of farms felt a bit glaring.

The farms are on the other side of all those giant concrete trash heaps that block your progress. It keeps them secure from raiders. After harvest season they just huck the food over for folks to gather.

I can't believe you never picked up on that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

The farms are on the other side of all those giant concrete trash heaps that block your progress. It keeps them secure from raiders. After harvest season they just huck the food over for folks to gather.

I can't believe you never picked up on that.

I thought people just farmed all of the pre-war food just sitting in vending machines :confused:

I don't really remember having a huge problem with the Capital Wasteland until I read The Road.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Boogaleeboo posted:

It keeps them secure from raiders.
Speaking of raiders, there are an awful lot of them, but only a handful of settlements on which to prey on.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Pwnstar posted:

Caesar: Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.

John Fallout: HATE NEWSPAPERS

Maybe the HATE NEWSPAPERS prompt leads to something like "Sorry, but newspapers are yet another morally bankrupt attack vector used by the liberal elite to needlessly slander the good will and accomplishments of honest, hard-working Americans and job-creators."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

And then the doors of Diamond City are closed to the player forever

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No, John Fallout just shouts HATE NEWSPAPERS at the top of his lungs like the Incredible Hulk. It's the new low INT run, he just shouts whatever words are in the part of the dialog wheel you selected.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

No, John Fallout just shouts HATE NEWSPAPERS at the top of his lungs like the Incredible Hulk. It's the new low INT run, he just shouts whatever words are in the part of dialog wheel you selected.

I would unironicly love this.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

No, John Fallout just shouts HATE NEWSPAPERS at the top of his lungs like the Incredible Hulk. It's the new low INT run, he just shouts whatever words are in the part of the dialog wheel you selected.

That sounds hilarious.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

God, I hope this is a mod eventually

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I would unironicly love this.

Maybe he's some kind of pundit and the renegade option is just always a conservative non-sequitur.

"Will you help us, John Fallout?"

A - Sure B - No C - I'll help you, if you know what I mean D - Public schools should teach abstinence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

day one

• Locked thread