Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Asuron posted:

There's nothing to really say about Super. It's a pile of dogshit that's making GT look good.

They put Dragonball back on tv with a new series and aren't putting the effort into actually making it even slightly decent other than a few isolated moments of comedy with Vegeta. I imagine most viewers have just dropped the show by now, I know I certainly did when I saw the direction it was going.

in kanto region (tokyo + a bunch of other places) it was the 8th most watched anime last week (behind mainstays like sazae-san, shin-chan, conan, and one piece), and the second most dvr'd anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Todays episode of Super was really good and next weeks is Vegeta slice of life.

Dragon Ball Super :allears:

Thank you Toei and Toriyama for making a Dragon Ball series especially for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For better or for worse, Super is almost exactly like DB/Z. Episodes that are nothing but drawn out fights, the occasional weird/bad art, rehashes of things done before.

The negative backlash is from people who either a) have forgotten what it was like back then (or never watched the original) or b) are more accustomed to/prefer more limited run type stuff.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If Heroes doesn't use SSJ Satan and God of Destruction Beebus, they're missing a huge opportunity.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

New Leaf posted:

If Heroes doesn't use SSJ Satan and God of Destruction Beebus, they're missing a huge opportunity.

Are you kidding, they're probably drawing up designs for Super Satan 4 and Super Satan God, along with Majin Beebus.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I realise the preview has already spoiled the end of the joke, but I do like the idea of Goku trying to train with Krillin next episode. Anything that touches on the blind hope he'll somehow be relevant again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

holy poo poo, vegeta bribes whis with food to get training to become a god

also this episode was amazing. next episode we get more krillin so i'm super hype about next week

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
When Super's reshowing the movies then it's bad because it manages to miss the actual cool bits (Goku passing out because he's nowhere near as strong as Beerus yet and there's a shitload of stronger people. Or Bulma slapping him) and it obviously doesn't look as good.

But then. When it stops doing that. Then we truly get art, such as this week with Goku being kicked out of his house. That's the real stuff and if it's two episodes of that after every twelve weeks then so be it, whatever means are needed for God Satan to show his power.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

Yes, clearly Super is worse than GT

That will never mean GT will look good though

Caros
May 14, 2008

jivjov posted:

For better or for worse, Super is almost exactly like DB/Z. Episodes that are nothing but drawn out fights, the occasional weird/bad art, rehashes of things done before.

The negative backlash is from people who either a) have forgotten what it was like back then (or never watched the original) or b) are more accustomed to/prefer more limited run type stuff.

There is a slight difference in that Dragonball was animating something that was previously only available in manga form. Even though the dragonball anime absolutely had flaws in its pacing and animation budget, it still had the virtue of being an animated version which comes with its own advantages over still pictures. For a lot of people the anime is an improvement over the manga because audio/motion/color add a lot to the experience.

The problem Super has in that regards with the rehash stuff is that it doesn't have that upgrade from the manga to help float it along. I'd have watched DBZ even if I'd read the manga because it adds something. Going from the uber-high quality, relatively tight pacing theatrical releases to the anime feels like a measurable drop in quality. You've seen this before, exactly like this, except it looked better and took half as long.

That isn't to say Super is without its advantages. Their new material is pretty much all fantastic, and once they get out of the remake stuff they'll lose their single largest flaw as a result. Even in the rehash stuff you still have fun little tidbits like Goku being a dick to Beerus in replicating the neck chop and the like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why did DBM retell Cooler's Revenge with slight differences? Seems like a pointless diversion.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Covok posted:

Why did DBM retell Cooler's Revenge with slight differences? Seems like a pointless diversion.

Filler for the main Artist. Cell better not lose, I'm tired of Tapion.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We also though that raichi would lose because he already used up all his gimmicks in his fight with vegeta. I wouldn't keep your hopes up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Super is a superior anime because it featured Goku getting kicked out of his house, Vegeta moonlighting as a chef, and Super Satan saving the universe.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Carlosologist posted:

Super is a superior anime because it featured Goku getting kicked out of his house, Vegeta moonlighting as a chef, and Super Satan saving the universe.

plus super has made noticeable improvements to the battle of gods content (goku actually seems to turn into a god, the fight between beers and goku was a lot better, etc.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm glad poor ol' Kibitio Kai has been defused. Next up: Wishing back King Kai.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was King Kai still dead in GT?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

uub has 18 votes thats how bad gt did

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was King Kai still dead in GT?

Did King Kai even appear in GT? Like, I don't think he did.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Covok posted:

Did King Kai even appear in GT? Like, I don't think he did. Ever.

hes literally in the first episode

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's been a long time. If so, then he was definitely still dead.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

theres like 2 first episodes nobody knows how gt starts

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

how did we get to the grand tour? idk but the sky is red and everyone is wearing leather

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Super manga is rushing through things so fast that it gives me whiplash when I stop reading it. Whoever is writting it wants to just be done with the movie stuff as quickly as possible.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

uub has 18 votes thats how bad gt did

You should have put pan (gohans daughter) in the poll

Covok
May 27, 2013

Namtab posted:

You should have put pan (gohans daughter) in the poll

This is one of the places where you would never need this clarification.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I didn't know Resurrection of F comes out on Tuesday on bluray.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

snore

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

more like ressurection of disappointment

Covok
May 27, 2013

Resurrection D

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I don't understand how anyone doesn't like Dragon Ball Super.

(please do not explain to me why you don't like dragon ball super)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hjalmar posted:

I don't understand how anyone doesn't like Dragon Ball Super.

(please do not explain to me why you don't like dragon ball super)

Everything is dragged out way for too long and the animation is subpar.

And before you say that that was how it was in the DBZ anime too, yes, I know it was. I don't think the DBZ anime is worth watching either.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing is worth watching, everything is forbidden

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It'll probably end up as a series with a watching list, just skipping all the serious fighting episodes, watching amazing stuff like the first two and this week's, and maybe someone will make a video of all the good bits from the boring episodes, such as Vegeta's cooking or Oolong's Rock Paper Scissor.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

just skipping all the serious fighting episodes

lol

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Covok posted:

The Super manga is rushing through things so fast that it gives me whiplash when I stop reading it. Whoever is writting it wants to just be done with the movie stuff as quickly as possible.

that's just dragon ball manga pacing though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It'll probably end up as a series with a watching list, just skipping all the serious fighting episodes, watching amazing stuff like the first two and this week's, and maybe someone will make a video of all the good bits from the boring episodes, such as Vegeta's cooking or Oolong's Rock Paper Scissor.

"the vast majority of it is a waste of time" what a ringing endorsement

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's fights we've already seen and they're not all that well animated, so why watch? the good stuff's in Goku getting kicked out of the house.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you do realize they're not solely remaking the two movies and then ending it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Everything is dragged out way for too long and the animation is subpar.

And before you say that that was how it was in the DBZ anime too, yes, I know it was. I don't think the DBZ anime is worth watching either.

I don't think your posts are worth reading

• Locked thread