Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the name of the (side) dish of hot Mexican pickled vegetables (carrots, jalapeņos, etc)? Is it just escabeche, or does that refer to fish specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Escabeche is the method so it would just be _____ en escabeche if you want to be specific, but just escabeche is fine if not.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My favorite thing to eat when I'm sick is vadhu. Sprouted moong beans and dark chickpeas boiled in water with salt. Eaten like soup with lime and chopped chilies on top. Gimme dem nutrients.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Who's got the eggnog recipes that are meant to sit in the fridge for months to get real good?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

M42 posted:

Who's got the eggnog recipes that are meant to sit in the fridge for months to get real good?

Gravity had one but no clue where it's posted now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How does polenta refrigerate? I'm thinking about making polenta and meatballs. I figure with a pound of meat, I could probably make enough for two or three days for the two of us. But when I made grits and cheese casserole, it got all clumpy and gross when reheated. Grits are corn too, so I want to make sure I'm not going to regret making enough for multiple days.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How does polenta refrigerate? I'm thinking about making polenta and meatballs. I figure with a pound of meat, I could probably make enough for two or three days for the two of us. But when I made grits and cheese casserole, it got all clumpy and gross when reheated. Grits are corn too, so I want to make sure I'm not going to regret making enough for multiple days.

I like to refrigerate polenta in a flat layer or a roll, then slice off pieces and fry them in butter. I don't know how well it'll go back to a slurry, though - never tried it.

With grits, a good stir while hot will take out the clumps.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

M42 posted:

I've had a couple of bottles in the fridge since last year. Am looking forward to seeing how it is this year.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Reheat polenta in a pan with water or milk, and whisk.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I want to try making a soup dumpling style pot sticker/ wonton. I have the aspic/pork chicken broth already but I want to see if I can avoid making my own wrappers. I have a pack of wonton wrappers, will these work if I am meticulous with sealing the edges and VERY gentle while cooking them?

Edit: tried to make 3 sample ones. Wonton wrappers are too fragile, will tear and is not quite designed to hold a seal like that I supposed.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 19, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

While this is true, you should also try what symmetry said once -- back at the restaurant our veggie dish was baked polenta -- basically we would cook polenta thick, pour into a lined sheet tray to set up, then cut into cubes and into a baking dish (boat thingee or whatever) with veggies and topped with cheese and it would come out hot and bubbly (but the polenta still firm cubes) like a pasta bake.

Also, you could cut the set polenta into shapes, dredge in flour (or cornstarch, because corn) and pan fry them. Crispy outside and warm soft insides, good stuff.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Turkeybone posted:

While this is true, you should also try what symmetry said once -- back at the restaurant our veggie dish was baked polenta -- basically we would cook polenta thick, pour into a lined sheet tray to set up, then cut into cubes and into a baking dish (boat thingee or whatever) with veggies and topped with cheese and it would come out hot and bubbly (but the polenta still firm cubes) like a pasta bake.

Also, you could cut the set polenta into shapes, dredge in flour (or cornstarch, because corn) and pan fry them. Crispy outside and warm soft insides, good stuff.

Skip the dredge. Cut into fat chips and deep fry them. Finish with black pepper and parmesan.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quick question. A friend is in the states and offered to bring back some andouille sausages.

These: http://www.aidells.com/product/5

They say they are fully cooked, but my guess is they won't survive a 12-15 hour plane journey in a suitcase, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uh, you may want to check with customs whether or not you can bring them on a plane. I don't know how it is for other countries but whenever I travel to or from spain the only thing customs agents ask me about is pork products.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If I worried about stuff like that I wouldn't have had nearly as many nice things at my home as I have had.

But no, the sausages won't last. Only salami or something else shelf stable would. These need to be refrigerated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Uh, you may want to check with customs whether or not you can bring them on a plane. I don't know how it is for other countries but whenever I travel to or from spain the only thing customs agents ask me about is pork products.

I flew from Alicante to Amsterdam a while back and I had both my suitcase and carry on and they were both stuffed with chorizo, salami and iberico ham and I had zero issues. When my bag was xrayed they wanted to check it and when they found it was sausage they said something to the effect of "oh it's just sausage" and on I went.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

spankmeister posted:

I flew from Alicante to Amsterdam a while back and I had both my suitcase and carry on and they were both stuffed with chorizo, salami and iberico ham and I had zero issues. When my bag was xrayed they wanted to check it and when they found it was sausage they said something to the effect of "oh it's just sausage" and on I went.

One of the customs agents in miami asked me specifically whether or not I had them and I joked "Yeah, I had this bag of jamon flavored potato chips," and pulled out half a bag of jamon ruffles. He laughed and then went "Ok seriously, do you actually have them?"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess it's because of Schengen you can take p much anything between eu countries.

BTW strangely enough it seems that jerky and other dried meats are specifically banned from import from the US to at least Holland. Didn't stop me but yknow.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Hopper posted:

Quick question. A friend is in the states and offered to bring back some andouille sausages.

These: http://www.aidells.com/product/5

They say they are fully cooked, but my guess is they won't survive a 12-15 hour plane journey in a suitcase, right?

Like someone said they won't travel but I'm very sorry about that because those things are delicious.

I made the carnitas linked earlier and they were awesome. I froze half before broiling so I'll post how that worked out in a few weeks. I do have a question for those who made it, though. How much vegetable oil did you add? Like, just enough to give a good sheen or enough to fill it up to the highest piece? Reading the more in-depth article it seems like the latter but in the process of doing that I had second thoughts.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If it's any condolence, the Aidells sausages aren't that great.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, it's pretty cold in the hold of the plane, so if you ziplock them, freeze them hard as a rock, wrap them in a towel or two, and then tie the whole thing up in a garbage bag (to contain condensation), I think you'd be OK with 12-15 hours. Still a risk, though.

You'd be surprised how much time a little insulation buys you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

detectivemonkey posted:

Like someone said they won't travel but I'm very sorry about that because those things are delicious.

I made the carnitas linked earlier and they were awesome. I froze half before broiling so I'll post how that worked out in a few weeks. I do have a question for those who made it, though. How much vegetable oil did you add? Like, just enough to give a good sheen or enough to fill it up to the highest piece? Reading the more in-depth article it seems like the latter but in the process of doing that I had second thoughts.

you want to add just enough to cover the meat

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, it's pretty cold in the hold of the plane, so if you ziplock them, freeze them hard as a rock, wrap them in a towel or two, and then tie the whole thing up in a garbage bag (to contain condensation), I think you'd be OK with 12-15 hours. Still a risk, though.

You'd be surprised how much time a little insulation buys you.

Couldn't hurt to surround the frozen sausages with some of those ice pack things they sell for coolers/lunchbags. Do that, and they should be fine.

Not really worth it just for Aidell's, though, as I agree with Cloks. Their andouille is decidedly "meh".

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Are self challenge threads encouraged at all because I have an idea of something I want to try but it's difficult without help. Help at least for keeping new and fresh cooking ideas.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
We haven't seen much of that in gws but I think it would be welcome to have a different sort of cooking thread. Do it, I would follow!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

mich posted:

We haven't seen much of that in gws but I think it would be welcome to have a different sort of cooking thread. Do it, I would follow!

gently caress yeah mich you'll get it immediately.

I want to pull a PK Subban because he's my hero. Just not in the timeframe he did it in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Meh, well no Anduille for me then.
Problem is I wanted to taste them pure, which I never have, to see what German/European sausage is the best substitute for Andouille in gumbo etc.

Last time I used Hungarian Kolbasz, which worked but they are really fatty and I wonder how fatty Andouille i sin contrast...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hopper posted:

Meh, well no Anduille for me then.
Problem is I wanted to taste them pure, which I never have, to see what German/European sausage is the best substitute for Andouille in gumbo etc.

Last time I used Hungarian Kolbasz, which worked but they are really fatty and I wonder how fatty Andouille i sin contrast...

I havent had Kolbasz but I have had lots of andouille.

Andouille is most similar to kielbasa or linguicia more or less and either of those substitute fairly well for it and I use them in cajun food quite often living in the northern part of the USA.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, you could use Portuguese linguica and it would be a good substitute.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Today I prepped some pizza dough according to this recipe and came home eight hours later to find a gloppy unrisen mess sitting in my bowl. I assume that my yeast was dead. I had been storing my active dry yeast in the original packet, held closed with a chip clip. How does everyone else store their yeast to keep it alive?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's how I store mine so I don't know but I made that recipe and it turned out pretty great and was super easy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, followup question: if I add additional yeast from a fresh packet to this unrisen dough, will it rise as normal?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bloom it in water first and knead it in.

Blooming will make sure it's not dead too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

pile of brown posted:

Bloom it in water first and knead it in.

Blooming will make sure it's not dead too.

Dammit, that's the way I did it last time and it worked perfectly. I'll do it that way tomorrow.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

poop dood posted:

Today I prepped some pizza dough according to this recipe and came home eight hours later to find a gloppy unrisen mess sitting in my bowl. I assume that my yeast was dead. I had been storing my active dry yeast in the original packet, held closed with a chip clip. How does everyone else store their yeast to keep it alive?

I don't know what everyone else does but if my yeast came out of a packet I assume any I don't use will not be usable; I don't think I would expect to be able to use yeast from an open packet, and I definitely wouldn't store it at room temp. If you want to have an ongoing container of yeast I would suggest buying a jar of it. Personally I have a jar of Fleischmann's bread machine yeast, which is just instant yeast, and I keep it in the fridge. You can expect it to be good for at least six months that way.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Instant yeast will keep for years in your freezer, I've had the same 5lb of Fleischman's for like, 3 years.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Instant yeast will keep for years in your freezer, I've had the same 5lb of Fleischman's for like, 3 years.

I bought a three pound bag of loose, non-instant yeast from CostCo two years ago. I keep it in the freezer, and it still works just as good as when I bought it.

I've got maybe a half pound left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I bought a papaya and I have no idea why. What can I do with this thing?