Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Btw, aks mazda bro dude what happens if one of the Mexican made mazda3 sedans breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 2011-2015 Mazda2 was too beautiful for this (American) world.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

The 2011-2015 Mazda2 was too beautiful for this (American) world.

Americans like angry cars.

Every 10th car in Vienna seemed to be a mazda2. Clearly they're just more cultured than us.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Car and driver seems to worship the scion, and consumer reports doesn't have much. What are some other good sites for car reviews? Are motortrend and automobile good sites?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Whether you like the car or not is basically the biggest determinant of whether you should buy it. Who cares what a 50 year old crochety white guy thinks about a car that he drove for 24h?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Whether you like the car or not is basically the biggest determinant of whether you should buy it. Who cares what a 50 year old crochety white guy thinks about a car that he drove for 24h?

Yeah, I see reviews as an indicator of what to look at and what not to look at, but not to determine if I like a car I drove.
I might use it for a car I was going to track or AX to get some idea of what it would be like in conditions I can't get on a test drive, but barring that I wouldn't.
I do put some stock in long term reviews when they complain about poo poo breaking and I do think that CR's reliability ratings are useful, but the new scion is too new to have reliability data on it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Proposed Budget: Flexible, $15-30k
New or Used: Whatever, I intend to drive it for 125k miles.
Body Style: 4dr, not compact, sedan/stationwagon/crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter, 60 miles / 1-2 hours a day round trip carpooling.
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership, bluetooth phone+music.

I am 6'4", no sun roofs need apply. Need a car for The Future(tm) where there could be a stroller in the trunk. I own a fun car, 4cylinder slushboxes are what I'm looking to buy!

Looked at a Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi (plugin) but they consume the whole trunk with the Hybrid Energi part of it, and the Hybrid isn't much better.

Looking on the website, I see some killer deals on the regular Fusion ($22k-25k, $0 down 0% APR.) Is there anything I should be aware of there? There is a 2.5L and a 1.5L "Ecoboost" - Any mechanical issues with one over the other? The other car I'm looking at is a used Toyota Camry LE @ ~$17k.

Cars I don't like: Mazda3, Mazda6 (crummy interior), Corolla (size), Venza (strange seat+stearing wheel angles).

What say you internet? Anything I'm not thinking of?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Accord. Various Hyundais.

edit: prius/prius V

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I really like the Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata in this class and the Honda Accord is always a favorite.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had a '14 Accord with the EarthDreams 4cyl and a CVT as a rental for a week - honestly it was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. They've also done a hell of a job with the CVT. The power/weight on it is very similar to my '13 CR-V (older K24 and 5-speed Hondamatic) but the CVT kicks down so quickly that it makes the car feel much quicker.

I think the newest Accords support Android Auto and Apple Carplay, too. No idea how well they handle regular bluetooth, but the bluetooth in my CR-V is useless for anything other than audio streaming because there's a massive delay in it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had a '14 Accord with the EarthDreams 4cyl and a CVT as a rental for a week - honestly it was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. They've also done a hell of a job with the CVT. The power/weight on it is very similar to my '13 CR-V (older K24 and 5-speed Hondamatic) but the CVT kicks down so quickly that it makes the car feel much quicker.

I think the newest Accords support Android Auto and Apple Carplay, too. No idea how well they handle regular bluetooth, but the bluetooth in my CR-V is useless for anything other than audio streaming because there's a massive delay in it.

I haven't tried an Accord. I will give it a go, thanks. No worries on the CVT lifespan these days?

Our 2013 Civic is fine as far as bluetooth streaming and phone. Big delay in the streaming but whatever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I haven't tried an Accord. I will give it a go, thanks. No worries on the CVT lifespan these days?

I think Honda's CVT is too new to say for sure, honestly. I'm quite certain the K24/5-speed I have will last forever, but the EarthDreams/CVT is so much nicer to drive it actually made me consider trading my '13 for a '15.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm six feet tall and had headroom and legroom issues in the drivers' seat of the new 2016 Accord. Great otherwise, though. The new Sonata is big and has a huge trunk, Android Auto and Apple Carplay and the panoramic moonroof is rad.

H110Hawk, you could also look at the Impreza/Crosstrek hatches, both are good dad cars and cheap. Or the Forester/Outback for even more "utility".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

H110Hawk posted:

How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter, 60 miles / 1-2 hours a day round trip carpooling.
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership, bluetooth phone+music.

I am 6'4", no sun roofs need apply. Need a car for The Future(tm) where there could be a stroller in the trunk. I own a fun car, 4cylinder slushboxes are what I'm looking to buy!

Looked at a Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi (plugin) but they consume the whole trunk with the Hybrid Energi part of it, and the Hybrid isn't much better.

Looking on the website, I see some killer deals on the regular Fusion ($22k-25k, $0 down 0% APR.) Is there anything I should be aware of there? There is a 2.5L and a 1.5L "Ecoboost" - Any mechanical issues with one over the other? The other car I'm looking at is a used Toyota Camry LE @ ~$17k.

Cars I don't like: Mazda3, Mazda6 (crummy interior), Corolla (size), Venza (strange seat+stearing wheel angles).

The Fusion lags behind the competition in build quality and fuel economy, the interior and rear seat room is definitely not better than the Mazda, but you will probably be able to get them cheap.

Try a Passat or Golf wagon, they should be just as cheap as the Ford especially with dieselgate, I like the interior of the VW better than Fords and you will have more room since the passat doesnt have the ridiculous fastback roofline and the wagon is a wagon.

New Impala is very nice too, and GM dealers always be dealin

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The Fusion lags behind the competition in build quality and fuel economy, the interior and rear seat room is definitely not better than the Mazda, but you will probably be able to get them cheap.

Try a Passat or Golf wagon, they should be just as cheap as the Ford especially with dieselgate, I like the interior of the VW better than Fords and you will have more room since the passat doesnt have the ridiculous fastback roofline and the wagon is a wagon.

New Impala is very nice too, and GM dealers always be dealin

Interesting. I used to have a VW Jetta (2000, mk4). It was expensive to fix, but I was young and stupid and took it to the dealer please forgive me. I had largely written them off due to the defeat device and principles, but who knows.

A GM car hadn't even crossed my mind.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: prius/prius V

My neckbeard will not let me forgive the obnoxiously loud beep when it goes into reverse. Unless they can turn that off before I sign any paperwork it's a non-starter for me. I would want to push the car off a cliff every time I went to back up, and that's just not a healthy way to start the morning.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

H110Hawk posted:

Interesting. I used to have a VW Jetta (2000, mk4). It was expensive to fix, but I was young and stupid and took it to the dealer please forgive me. I had largely written them off due to the defeat device and principles, but who knows.

Well, I woudn't recommend you buy afive year old one, but a new one under warranty, with free maintainance for 36k miles, is not so bad. Certainly the current gas passat or sportwagen is no worse if not better than the fusion according to the reliability surveys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A new VW is miles ahead of an early MkIV golf-platform, which was a low point even by VW's standards. Still not up to Japanese automakers, but a lot better than they were.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

My neckbeard will not let me forgive the obnoxiously loud beep when it goes into reverse. Unless they can turn that off before I sign any paperwork it's a non-starter for me. I would want to push the car off a cliff every time I went to back up, and that's just not a healthy way to start the morning.

You can definitely disable that poo poo but please do not because people outside the car can't hear that the car is running.

As someone who has driven vehicles with a reverse chime, it will cease to bother you within four days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can definitely disable that poo poo but please do not because people outside the car can't hear that the car is running.

As someone who has driven vehicles with a reverse chime, it will cease to bother you within four days.

It beeps loudly (not 'chimes') inside the vehicle, not outside. What I've read online says you cannot disable it on later model years. Is this not true?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

It beeps loudly (not 'chimes') inside the vehicle, not outside. What I've read online says you cannot disable it on later model years. Is this not true?

It's calleda reverse chime and I guarantee you the aftermarket one that is installed on a construction vehicle is way more annoying and is also forgettable.

All things are disable-able somehow, I don't think those people are trying hard enough.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only way it would be not-disableable (at least without heroic hacking) would be if it shares the actual noisemaker with other vehicle functions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AriTheDog posted:

I'm six feet tall and had headroom and legroom issues in the drivers' seat of the new 2016 Accord.

I don't know how much the interior changed between the '14 and '16, but at 6'4 I was just fine in the '14. Only Honda I've ever had trouble with (which would be putting it mildly) is the S2000.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's called a reverse chime and I guarantee you the aftermarket one that is installed on a construction vehicle is way more annoying and is also forgettable.

All things are disable-able somehow, I don't think those people are trying hard enough.

And if I am driving construction equipment then I will live with the beeper. It's just not for me. I'll just buy a different base-ish model econobox.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how much the interior changed between the '14 and '16, but at 6'4 I was just fine in the '14. Only Honda I've ever had trouble with (which would be putting it mildly) is the S2000.

I've found this depends on leg:torso ratio. I fit comfortably enough in a Honda Civic LX, but I don't fit at all in the EX due to the sunroof for the same model year. S2000's are comedic even as a passenger, and I can't even get my knees past the dash in a Miata (not the MX-5, the older body style.)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

H110Hawk posted:

a Miata (not the MX-5, the older body style.)

They're all MX-5s. NA, NB, NC, and soon ND.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

They're all MX-5s. NA, NB, NC, and soon ND.

While technically true, the NC was the only one marketed under the MX-5 name and not Miata. The NA, NB, and ND have all been marketed as Miata (or sometimes MX-5 Miata).

At least in the US.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm 6'3" and I really want to buy a Mazda 3 and not a Prius. Will I fit comfortably in the Mazda?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

khysanth posted:

I'm 6'3" and I really want to buy a Mazda 3 and not a Prius. Will I fit comfortably in the Mazda?

I dunno, go sit in it.
I'm taller than you and fit in a mazda2, but not in prius (comfortably).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cars are funny. Everyone says Volvos are good for tall folks but I can't get my knees under their massive steering columns easily. I was both disappointed (V60 is a gorgeous car) and relieved (it's pretty spendy especially in the top end trim I'd want (polestar)).

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

H110Hawk posted:

All reliability issues aside (and there are certainly reliability issues - I just had to lemon law my Fusion, car from hell for sure) headroom in them sucks. I'm 6'4" myself and I always felt a bit cramped in the Fusion when it came to headroom.

I know it's not AI recommended, but take a look at Ford Taurus in your area. They're not incredibly modern but they're fairly reliable, have a massive trunk, they're cheap as hell to fix, and you can get used ones for a song. Seriously, around here you can get a near loaded Limited model with under 20k miles for the $20-23k range. They depreciate loving quick over the first couple years so they're a fantastic bargain for used car shoppers. No way in hell are they worth $37k, but they're a steal at $20 and some change.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the entire population of 6'4" people in the world are posting in this thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm 5'10" and I'm completely baffled by you tall jerks' aversion to sunroofs, do they make the car shorter or something? Also please stop standing in front at concerts, it's rude.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

IRQ posted:

I'm 5'10" and I'm completely baffled by you tall jerks' aversion to sunroofs, do they make the car shorter or something? Also please stop standing in front at concerts, it's rude.

They cut room inside. Some can cut 2-3" from interior headroom. That sunroof has to have a place to go when it lowers down and folds in.

Open the sliding door on a sunroof and look at the bottom of the glass - that's where a non-sunroof model's roofline would be.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IRQ posted:

Yes and buy some stilts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find the panoramic type where the glass goes up and slides back is great although still cuts a little bit for the tracks where the interior fabric cover goes. I'm very tall and always avoided moon roofs in the past but next car will definitely have a panoramic roof.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do sunroof equipped cars have better or worse rollover protection, in general?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Do sunroof equipped cars have better or worse rollover protection, in general?

Compared to cars that don't have a sunroof as an option, no idea. Compared to non-sunroof trims of the same car, no difference - if the car can be had with a sunroof, they're not likely going to put anything structural where the sunroof would go. The important poo poo is usually near the corners anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do not understand all of the people asking if they can fit in certain cars. We have no idea, and they have these facilities throughout the globe where you can sit in a car and even drive it around without buying it! Go to one of them.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

EssOEss posted:

My current car is dying of rust and lung cancer, so perhaps it is time for a new one. I want to buy a car that can take me and my friends hiking to the middle of bum gently caress nowhere on "roads".

Proposed Budget: 5000€
New or Used: used
Body Style: don't care
How will you be using the car?: I will use it to go hiking in remote places, where the "road" might just be a vague hole-filled muddy path that sees 5 cars a year; also, there may be a foot of snow on top of this path. No fording rivers or crazy climbs, though.
What aspects are most important to you? Fits a lot of people and cargo (at least 5 people; 7 is ideal but all 7+ seaters I have seen have poo poo cargo space, so 5 might have to be enough); has good AWD system that does not get stuck in snow; does not rust like a motherfucker

I live in Estonia, so there might not be too much in common with the car models available in USA. Auto24 is our biggest car sales portal, so the dropdown on the left there might give some idea of what sort of cars are even available here.

Not too afraid of maintenance & repairs, as long as the parts are not crazy expensive. Most cars in my price range here are rustbuckets, so if you can recommend me something that is known not to have too major rust issues by design, it might be a bonus.

I have heard good things about Mitsubishi Pajero but have no real idea of what might satisfy my needs. Any advice is very welcome!

I have found a reasonably-priced Nissan Patrol Y61, 3.0L 116 kW, 2001 but I am having difficulty finding reliable information about it online. Is this a car that might suit my needs?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is it a good idea to buy a car on an online service through truecar or Consumer Reports, or is emailing dealers and asking for price quotes just as good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Generally one can negotiate better than the car buying services and sites on their own, but if you don't enjoy or understand the car haggling process there are worse ways to buy a car