Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can you do the upgrade deal for MS5 to CSP EX, or is that just wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

windex posted:

You can get the same deal on Clip Studio, http://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase .. which is the same software, from the original authors, and has more frequent updates. This is especially important if you use Cintiq, as they wind out pushing an TabletPC support update out almost every time Wacom updates Cintiq drivers.
If a prospective buyer lacks a Cintiq are there any other pros and cons between the two?

I've just been slumming it up with openCanvas and Gimp with the GAnimationPackage plug-ins.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Smith micro doesn't have the license to distribute Manga studio digitally, so non-physical versions are Clip Studio even if you buy from the Manga Studio website.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can you do the upgrade deal for MS5 to CSP EX, or is that just wishful thinking?
Looks like you can.

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to EX? The added features seem a little lacking.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I have MS5 standard and it's stuttering and freezing a lot for me on Windows 10. This happens even when I'm working on a horizontal four-panel comic strip with a single layer. :confused:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

I have MS5 standard and it's stuttering and freezing a lot for me on Windows 10. This happens even when I'm working on a horizontal four-panel comic strip with a single layer. :confused:

This seems to be a common problem; I had to go back to 8.1 because I couldn't solve the issue, but if you google something like "Manga Studio 5 Windows 10 problem" you can find a bunch of different places with similar issues and various problem solving suggestions that may work for you.

The main thing seems to be making sure to update the program and your tablet drivers.

Good luck!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is the response I got when I had an issue with Windows 10:

quote:

Thank you for contacting Support. It sounds like your installation is corrupted. You will want to do a clean reinstall.

Updated Installers are available from the Manga Studio Updates Page
http://manga.smithmicro.com/updates.html

Download the Installer and the Materials. Extract the Materials to your Desktop

Use Control Panel to uninstall the Application

You need to remove the following folders manually

C:\ProgramData\CELSYS
ProgramData may be hidden. Go your Control Panel, (Change from Categories to an Icon view on the right) select Folder Options and under the View Tab, select Show Hidden Files and Folders to allow you to view the ProgramData

C:\ProgramData\CELSYS_EN
C:\ProgramData\Smith Micro\Manga Studio
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\CELSYS
AppData may be hidden. Go your Control Panel, (Change from Categories to an Icon view on the right) select Folder Options and under the View Tab, select Show Hidden Files and Folders to allow you to view the AppData folder.

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\CELSYS_EN

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Smith Micro\Manga Studio

Reboot using MSCONFIG to boot into Diagnostic Mode. Run the installer. Launch the application. Once running, go to the File Menu and select Material Installation, selecting the Folder on your Desktop. When the Program launches again, it will need to initialize those materials.

Reboot into Normal Mode. You are ready to use the software.

I'd also scrub the system clean with CCleaner afterwards, as the first time I did this it didn't fix my issues. Also make sure you reinstall using 5.0.6, if you happen to be on an earlier version.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've treated myself to CSP Pro; £10 seems pretty reasonable for more updates and not needing a disc, considering MS5 was a present I never paid for in the first place.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Reminder that there's an IRC channel for comic makers! #makingcomics on irc.synirc.org!!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It seems like whenever I have little free time is when I most want to draw. Though I'm sure it's just a wanting-what-you-can't-have type of thing. Or maybe it's because drawing helps me manage stress/wind down, so when I have lots of free time i don't feel a mental/emotional need to do it, but when I'm busy with work/school I start imagining how soothing and wonderful it would be to just sit and work on a page.

My sketching has improved a lot IMO in terms of speed, accuracy (getting what's in my head down on the page as near as possible), and still having some flow to it, but I really need to work on inking because I keep making dumb mistakes because I'm not watching what I'm doing, sucking the life out of the sketch to some extent, and struggling with creating depth. It sucks though because it's really one of those things you only get better at with practice and I just haven't had the time.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh and I bought CSP Pro on sale and loaded it up with Frenden's brushes for MS5 that I'd gotten a while ago for god knows what reason and I'm very satisfied with the result. I especially like the stroke correction, it's a lot less overwhelming than in previous versions of CSPP/MS and thus actually helpful (I have tremor, so it helps a lot when I'm sketching zoomed out).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Anyone have any experience ordering custom plushies? Any idea where to even start with that? My work is curious about ordering plushies of a small animal character.

This weekend was also a momentous weekend for us, in that we finally broke even on our first book! We've spent $4,509.91 and earned $4,769.54. We're saving up the profits to do reprints later in the year, especially if we win the Gene Day award.

Book 2 is on it's way, but isn't there yet - we've spent $16,599.75 and made $15,987.18. Like, my mind can't quite wrap itself around that money, but the numbers don't lie. We spent 2 and a half grand on conventions alone.

Book 3? Book 3's gonna be pricey.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Hrm. Would there be any interest in another attempt at having a dedicated thread for character design? It's something I struggle with a lot and it'd be nice if I had a specific place to post looking for crit.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't see why you couldn't just post it here, really.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Squidster posted:

Anyone have any experience ordering custom plushies? Any idea where to even start with that? My work is curious about ordering plushies of a small animal character.

This weekend was also a momentous weekend for us, in that we finally broke even on our first book! We've spent $4,509.91 and earned $4,769.54. We're saving up the profits to do reprints later in the year, especially if we win the Gene Day award.

Book 2 is on it's way, but isn't there yet - we've spent $16,599.75 and made $15,987.18. Like, my mind can't quite wrap itself around that money, but the numbers don't lie. We spent 2 and a half grand on conventions alone.

Book 3? Book 3's gonna be pricey.

I'll ask my mother in the morning. She is a fashion designer and I recall a set of four small stuffed animals that she designed. I can ask her about the business side of that process. Her involvement was designing the animals and making the patterns for the fabric, which along with one-off completed samples, were sent ~somewhere~ to be mass-produced. They took a bit of work, so I think depending on what you're looking for, it could be a bit of money. One significant factor is whether you want them stuffed taut or loose like beanbags. If they're more of a bag-style, the cost will probably be lower than what my mother made, which were basically perfectly-tailored 3D forms that sat or stood on their own.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks! Ideally they'd be stuffed figures between 4" and 6" tall. We don't have any pattern designers, but we can provide turnarounds for the characters and suchlike. I found http://www.auroracustomplush.com/cus/?mid=cus_step_cus , but their order size seems... infinitely larger than we can support. We'd be looking for between 100-250 of the dang things, not 5,000+.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some companies have default animal designs and will accommodate custom colors or embossing, one of my friends did that for one of her original character things. It depends what your critter is.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

He's a fairly stock mouse with a scarf thing going on. ( I would love to do a plushie of the robot, but he's not as popular! )

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That's a cute mouse.

I have mixed news.

The fortunate news is I've been staying with my parents for about a month, to take a break from school and go back to work for a bit. I was tired of being a broke-rear end student and I want to build up a bankroll before finishing out two more years.

My mother was awake. She has the concept drawing and a retail copy of a beanbag-style animal she designed. This was sold at Toys R Us.

The demotivational news is she was very confused why someone would endeavor to produce something like this in a quantity fewer than 1,000. She said if you want to make a profit on any quantity, you have to produce it in China.

She also had some suggestions that are basically thinking outside the box. She suggests if you're trying to provide something to remind your customers of your product, you might want to consider accessory-type things that have some type of function. It could have a calendar on it, or a voice memo recorder inside it. Not necessarily a stuffed animal.

That was before seeing the images of the character you posted, which I showed her in the middle of writing this post. She said she'd buy whatever you make just to have it, of a character that is so cute. She says the scarf is cute too.

Materials-wise, she suggests something in rubber. "That's something you want to produce in rubber. The ears and the mouth, how would you make that in fabric. You want the ears open like that on the final product."

Other things she suggested were hair pins with the mouse's head on them, Jack-In-The-Box style antenna balls (or something like it), pencil toppers a la pencil trolls, iPhone covers with him on the back (cheap to produce/ have printed), stress balls.

...Clothing, or a hat with big floppy ears (she loved the ears).

She also pointed at the second image and asked, "does he live?"

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 29, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks to you and your mom for the detailed reply! That Leo creature looks super-cute.

We could potentially do 1,000 units if we stocked up for a few years, depending on what the per-unit cost is. When you say do it in rubber, is there a keyword term for that? What should I google to find companies who offer that?

iPhone covers is a great idea, especially because we have a mobile app featuring that mouse!

Delta Echo posted:

She also pointed at the second image and asked, "does he live?"
I can assure her that he steals my valuable digital cheese to this day, and ever do I upgrade my trap in hopes of catching him once and for all.

Our company has been painting adorable mice for 8 years now, and our art team is very, very good at it. 659 mice in total.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Alibaba.com

You can write up a description of the thing you want produced, and include a render with dimensions. Companies will contact you with a bid for the production. I had some electronics made this way, and the quote they provide includes the cost of molds or tooling that have to be made first. I'm sure the people who contact you (manufacturer representatives) will have suggestions and questions regarding the specific materials.

I could see them wanting a physical original before starting.

Your quote will probably be split between a deposit and the remaining balance due on job completion. They'll send you pictures and proof that everything works as desired. Turnaround will be unexpectedly fast, price will probably be cheap.

They might ask you to wire the payments to odd bank accounts, but that's just due to taxes and value limits they have for wire transfers in China. What I'm saying is it will feel sketch as hell, so be brave and trust their alibaba rating.

I received samples, too, before wiring the outstanding balance on the quotes. Two orders for different items, different companies, and they handled it the same way. Deposit > sample arrived > I approved > they started the order > sent me pictures of the finished quantity > I wired the remaining balance > received everything in custom plastic packaging trays.

Alibaba.com can help you make every one of these happen. It's the gateway site to the place where everything is made, and you don't have to be some huge company to do business. I'll bet you could even find a manufacturer that could put these inside snowglobes.

About the hats, have you seen this style hat? The ends of the ears have paws underneath, and you can put your hands in and go 'rawr.' Or 'meow' or whatever sound mice make. Doesn't have to be fur all the way down, it could be arms with mouse hands.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-New-Cool-Style-Faux-Fur-Cute-Animal-Ears-Hat-Gloves-Mittens-Scarf-Hood-Paws-Husky/1158234724.html

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 29, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks dude! That's a huge help, and I'll get some turnarounds and art built for the figure. We'll see how this thing goes!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Glad to help! If it's iPhone covers, that's probably one of the easiest things to make right now. Whether it's a print on the back, or a custom mold with a mouse outline of some sort.

HPLovecraft
Sep 6, 2011

this is one of the most adorable character designs ive ever seen and i want it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Anyone know enough about Wordpress to know of a way to keep someone from being able to lock me out of my website by attempting to log in to it too many times? I'm guessing I've made someone mad and I'm currently locked out for five hours. Which means today's update is delayed ...

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
There is a plugin that changes the address of the login page. Not sure the name, I opted not to use it for the time being.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Geekboy posted:

Anyone know enough about Wordpress to know of a way to keep someone from being able to lock me out of my website by attempting to log in to it too many times? I'm guessing I've made someone mad and I'm currently locked out for five hours. Which means today's update is delayed ...

They must know your email address or username in order for Wordpress to know which account to lock out, so change it to something you don't use anywhere else.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They must know your email address or username in order for Wordpress to know which account to lock out, so change it to something other than "administrator."

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I came in here to learn about webcomics but drat this thread has taken some wacky turns.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gonna get me fifteen chickens
some cows
and a horse to ride

some cows
and a horse to ride

ooh livin' in the country
sure do make you high

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Avshalom posted:

some cows
and a horse to ride

some cows
and a horse to ride

ooh livin' in the country
sure do make you high

I thought I knew every John Denver song, but man, this is the living end.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Maybe a little late here Re:Plush type toys.

I highly suggest Gann Memorials. They're pretty reasonable and a lot of people on kickstarter are successful with their designs as well.

I work in the promo industry, and we're not generally a fan of Alibaba and you really can get what you pay for if you cheap out with some of those suppliers, which can be difficult to work with. I asked several about custom boards years ago (stand up paddle boards for a gym client of ours) and I got a reply back this past spring. 2 years later. And they were one of two who ever contacted me back even with pushing and checking in for that project.

As far as anything like a resin mold, those tend to have higher minimums than plush, I've found. But things like Happy Worker is a nice start.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks, I'll look into both of those folks!

Can I take a moment to say that I really appreciate this thread? Without everyone's feedback and advice, constructive criticism and Avshlom's shitposting, I'd have struggled a lot more trying to make comics. Y'all are great.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, it may not be the most trafficked thread, but I think it's helped get me motivated :).

In related news, I'm halfway through another story and I'm about to start roughing out another western. I think I'll alternate the two comics for the near future.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It looks like there's a general attack going on with Wordpress sites. I upped my security and changed some settings and that seemed to fix the problem. I mean, someone's still constantly trying to log in, but I've never had an account called "admin" and they're completely failing to get in. They just attempt a few times, get their IP address banned, and we move on.

Most recent attempts appear to be from Sweden, of all places.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Spent my day today at the Massachusetts independent comics expo and it made me very nostalgic for my days in the indie comics community. If you're disillusioned with big cons, try to go to your local indie scene and support them. Honestly one of the best con days I've been to in years.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I went to that yesterday, and I have to second that; it was a lot of fun. Got a nice signed Octopus Pie collection out of it, too.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

idonotlikepeas posted:

I went to that yesterday, and I have to second that; it was a lot of fun. Got a nice signed Octopus Pie collection out of it, too.
All of the above including signed Octopus Pie. I tabled there a few years ago and will table there next year when my year 1 collection is done...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

neonnoodle posted:

All of the above including signed Octopus Pie. I tabled there a few years ago and will table there next year when my year 1 collection is done...

I'll look forward to getting a signed collection from you as well, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Rad, I'll have to make sure to say hi to you next year neonnoodle. Maybe next year if I get my act together I can have a book ready too.

I didn't bring any business cards because I didn't expect to do any networking, and I wound up having five people asking me for cards for lettering and coloring. Note to self: always bring cards to cons.