Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Senjuro posted:

Also just want to say bravo for the tax collector bit. Not often a game causes me to actually laugh out loud.

It's Geralt's bewilderment about the whole thing that gets me. I like that his reactions of "Me?? Never!" could be taken as earnest confusion if you're telling the truth or sarcastic ribbing if you're lying. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Expansion spoiler, but I loved the conversation in the painted world up until the conversation with ghost lady's ghost when Geralt is trying to get the rose from her, and he plays it like a loving pro rather than get emotionally involved in the conversation. He just seems to draw up a "Ok, you're this kind of wraith. That must mean blah blah blah, and banishing would require blah blah blah.". Its very methodical and professional, and seems 100% befitting of a Witcher given what we know about them. He doesnt just kill 'em, he diagnoses em in a way.

Witchers being able to deduce the overall "type" of a creature is awesome, as well as how they can pretty much just mentally reference the nature of their origin and any non-silver-swordy methods of banishment, if the Witcher feels so inclined. There are still a few abominations and entities that dont fit the descriptions, and Geralt will throw out a few guesses now and then to spitball it before the final decision. That part of the expansion stood out to me as very well written.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

The boss fights so far in NG+ Death March Hearts of Stone are ridiculously hard compared to the ones in the main game. I'm a few levels over the suggested level, and I've got fully mastercrafted gear, and on the first two (the monster in the sewer and the mage on the beach) I must've reloaded a dozen times or more before I finally nailed it.

The sewer monster wasn't too bad, just tricky, but the mage was entirely bullshit - immune to crossbow, bombs and igni and when engaged in melee immediately teleports several metres away or turns into a vortex of sand that immediately breaks Quen AND takes off half my health on the first hit. Then, if I don't have the skill that reduces damage when dodging/rolling or you don't roll away, then it takes off the second half of my health. In less than a second. And this is after taking down the half a dozen or so regular guys that are protecting him. If you do manage to engage in melee, you'll get one, maybe two hits in max before he Aards you away and resumes his teleporty poo poo. Seems the only way to win this fight is to Upgrade heavy attack as much as you can, keep Quen on all the time, and spam Axii at him until you're close enough to hit. Whack with one strong attack then back off. Repeat until dead. Not a fun way to win a fight. Thankfully the fight at the burning manor was a lot more entertaining, lots of dodging, rolling, different signs and mixing up attacks. Still very tough, but at least it was fun.

Just finished the wedding before going to bed last night and that made up for all the pain I endured getting to that point.

The Mage is vulnerable as hell to axii stun

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
So I'm trying to sperg a bit and figure out what causes stamina regen to be glitched and increased in NG+.

So far, I've determined that if your save has griffon school arts equiped and are wearing medium gear you gain an additional 10/s stamina regen in NG+, during the fight with the ghouls. I think this is because in the Kaer Morhen scene your stats are imported, and you are forced to wear 2 pieces of medium gear, but your stamina is not-recalculated. When the game restores the rest of your gear, you now are wearing two more pieces of medium armor, and thus your stats increase by 10/s.

However, I have a save game where I actually get 15 extra stamina. I have no clue what is causing this extra stamina, but I'd like to figure out how else to glitch extra stats. (perhaps cat school for extra damage?)

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Quote-Unquote posted:

The boss fights so far in NG+ Death March Hearts of Stone are ridiculously hard compared to the ones in the main game. I'm a few levels over the suggested level, and I've got fully mastercrafted gear, and on the first two

The sewer monster wasn't too bad, just tricky, but the mage was entirely bullshit - immune to crossbow, bombs and igni and when engaged in melee immediately teleports several metres away or turns into a vortex of sand that immediately breaks Quen AND takes off half my health on the first hit. Then, if I don't have the skill that reduces damage when dodging/rolling or you don't roll away, then it takes off the second half of my health. In less than a second. And this is after taking down the half a dozen or so regular guys that are protecting him. If you do manage to engage in melee, you'll get one, maybe two hits in max before he Aards you away and resumes his teleporty poo poo. Seems the only way to win this fight is to Upgrade heavy attack as much as you can, keep Quen on all the time, and spam Axii at him until you're close enough to hit. Whack with one strong attack then back off. Repeat until dead. Not a fun way to win a fight. Thankfully the fight at the burning manor was a lot more entertaining, lots of dodging, rolling, different signs and mixing up attacks. Still very tough, but at least it was fun.

Just finished the wedding before going to bed last night and that made up for all the pain I endured getting to that point.

What you choose to spoil or not is very interesting. Thanks.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just got to the painted world last night and stopped. I absolutely love this DLC. I don't know if the wedding quest tops the Bloody Baron quest, but it comes drat close.

And I love that the Caretaker is so screwed up, even Geralt of Rivia is like "the gently caress was that?"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
No spoilers please - What does the expansion do? Are you supposed to get it after finishing the game (I'm halfway through)? Does it change anything about the original game?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

PirateBob posted:

No spoilers please - What does the expansion do? Are you supposed to get it after finishing the game (I'm halfway through)? Does it change anything about the original game?

Adds a large new quest line and a number of sidequests in the Oxenfurt region. Some of these quests have some minor changes to dialogs in some areas of the main game, and they added some dialogues here and there in the last few patches too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PirateBob posted:

I played it from a save I made after finishing the main game. You can technically start the DLC quest anytime after leaving the prologue area, but I've heard that it remains scaled for a level 32 character, and you might have a tough time reaching that level without completing the main game in the process.

Regarding how it affects the rest of the game; It seems that there's multiple points in the DLC where your options are affected by what point you are at in the main game's questline, and potentially offer information that is helpful to making the right choices in the main game, but it doesn't really change how the story of finding Ciri plays out. It is essentially a large, high-quality and very elaborate side-quest.

Gameplay-wise, it does add in some new and unique options for enhancing your weapons and gear instead of the normal runes and glyphs from the main game, but it feels more like an afterthought to the actual DLC content.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Is it possible to actually buy something from Master Topical? I've rescued his rear end, and he shows up as a herbalist but he will never talk to me.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheTrend posted:

What you choose to spoil or not is very interesting. Thanks.

Come on now, don't be a baby; I said there was a monster in a location that anyone that has ever played any RPG ever would automatically expect to find monsters (and it appears on the first notice you find that begins the whole expansion) and that at some point you fight a wizard in a completely nondescript location, plus you see a building on fire at some point. That's hardly plot-spoiling. I put the dumb strategy in spoilers just in case there are people that like to figure out such puzzles by themselves.

And if you hadn't noticed, there are dozens of posts directly above mine that give away the ending and a romance plot, so it's really weird that you single out my deliberately plot spoiler-free post.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 18, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

PirateBob posted:

You could do it before beating the game but you need to be lvl30 so that's quite a challenge.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Yoshimo posted:

Any indication who the best merchant is to flog all my looted swords/armour to in 1.10/HoS? Everyone seems to give either duff prices or have gently caress all gold.

Went to Crow's Perch during Hearts of Stone and Yolanda(?) had 18,000 crowns on her.
Nilfgaardian business is going well, it seems.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Playing on PS4 and have run into an issue in the painted world. I'm being told to kill the wraiths (large smoker spider with many small ones. No matter how many times I do I cannot proceed. They'll keep respawning and I'll keep killing, but cannot progress the quest any further. Anyone run into this?

Also, I've twice added the pyerog and tvarog runestones to swords, and noticed that both of the runes completely disappear at some random point. At first I thought I may have accidentally sold off my sword with them slotted, but confirmed I did not. Anyone know what these to runes do when combined with each other (other than disappear)?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Playing on PS4 and have run into an issue in the painted world. I'm being told to kill the wraiths (large smoker spider with many small ones. No matter how many times I do I cannot proceed. They'll keep respawning and I'll keep killing, but cannot progress the quest any further. Anyone run into this?

I had to kill the big spider to progress, otherwise the little ones kept respawning. Took me a while to realise as the big one had moved round a corner and I didn't think to go after him. Is what what you meant or is the big one coming back too?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Adds a large new quest line and a number of sidequests in the Oxenfurt region. Some of these quests have some minor changes to dialogs in some areas of the main game, and they added some dialogues here and there in the last few patches too.

Slashrat posted:

I played it from a save I made after finishing the main game. You can technically start the DLC quest anytime after leaving the prologue area, but I've heard that it remains scaled for a level 32 character, and you might have a tough time reaching that level without completing the main game in the process.

Regarding how it affects the rest of the game; It seems that there's multiple points in the DLC where your options are affected by what point you are at in the main game's questline, and potentially offer information that is helpful to making the right choices in the main game, but it doesn't really change how the story of finding Ciri plays out. It is essentially a large, high-quality and very elaborate side-quest.

Gameplay-wise, it does add in some new and unique options for enhancing your weapons and gear instead of the normal runes and glyphs from the main game, but it feels more like an afterthought to the actual DLC content.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I wanted to know. :)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I had to kill the big spider to progress, otherwise the little ones kept respawning. Took me a while to realise as the big one had moved round a corner and I didn't think to go after him. Is what what you meant or is the big one coming back too?

The big one was the first one I killed. It doesn't keep respawning, but the little ones do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is the DLC worth buying/worth playing on a level 34 end-game character wandering around Kaer Morhoon?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

Is the DLC worth buying/worth playing on a level 34 end-game character wandering around Kaer Morhoon?

That's about the perfect time to play it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WOW! What in the name of gently caress?? If you guys played Witcher 1, go to the bookseller near Hierarch square in novigrad, I won't spoil it but its loving incredible.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I beat the game and these dudes were hanging out in my yard. Can't kill or interact with them at all.

:confused:

Edit:

I picked up the ear ring that fell out with the pile of bed stuff in the corner and 2 of the 3 disappeared. I made my way out to the main entrance/courtyard and found 2 more standing in the bushes.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 18, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Is there no way to get the viper steel sword diagram after I missed it in the vault in Hearts of Stone?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Is there no way to get the viper steel sword diagram after I missed it in the vault in Hearts of Stone?

I havent tried myself, but does the secret tunnel exit not stay open?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Han Nehi posted:

I havent tried myself, but does the secret tunnel exit not stay open?

I went to the building that I think it's in and it was locked, but I'm not %100 which building it was honestly.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This may be a weird question but does anyone have a save before the Olgierd Von Everec nightmare fight if you do could you PM it to me or send me a link to one? I want to do that fight again to go for an achievement. I just don't really feel like going through a bunch of stuff again to get to it. I have the Steam version if it matters.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Speaking of the DLC, there's been some great humor so far. Like in the vault heist quest, I got a good laugh out of Geralt being annoyed at the drat candles in the way when he's trying to loot some treasure. Or the gwent-crazy merchant. Or the soldier and his commander bickering. Or ... the whole wedding. It's all just lovely. :allears:

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The big one was the first one I killed. It doesn't keep respawning, but the little ones do.

I know it sucks because it feels like you're being punished for being on the ball and proactive, but wait a wave or two before killing the big one.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Han Nehi posted:

Speaking of the DLC, there's been some great humor so far. Like in the vault heist quest, I got a good laugh out of Geralt being annoyed at the drat candles in the way when he's trying to loot some treasure. Or the gwent-crazy merchant. Or the soldier and his commander bickering. Or ... the whole wedding. It's all just lovely. :allears:

I chuckled when you finish the runechanting vendor questline, and after you drop all those crowns, the vendor goes "now I just need some rare-" to which geralt cuts him off and says "no way, outta the question, not gonna happen, you're gonna have to make do" and the vendor is all like "fair enough"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Think you are screwed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sekenr posted:

WOW! What in the name of gently caress?? If you guys played Witcher 1, go to the bookseller near Hierarch square in novigrad, I won't spoil it but its loving incredible.

I played Witcher 1 and just sold a ton of books to the bookseller in Hierarch square and have no idea what you're talking about.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yeesh, awkward...

Sorry Triss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

I played Witcher 1 and just sold a ton of books to the bookseller in Hierarch square and have no idea what you're talking about.
Pretty sure he's talking about Alvin leaving you notes.

e: vvv Nah, always been there.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 18, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Gort posted:

I mean the one who is inside his shop at the north of the square, when you talk to him he says someone left a book for Geralt, maybe they added it in the DLC? Its a small thing but pretty awesome "Letter from an old friend" indeed.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
What the hell, Rufus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cavity Search, ser

Had to see where he was hidin the Fisstech, gotta find it...

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm less than five hours in, but since I have a long and shady history of doing stupid things with my witcher builds, where should I be focusing my skill points? Right now I'm just pumping fast attack bonuses, because nothing seems that great and fast attacks are 90% of what I do.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm less than five hours in, but since I have a long and shady history of doing stupid things with my witcher builds, where should I be focusing my skill points? Right now I'm just pumping fast attack bonuses, because nothing seems that great and fast attacks are 90% of what I do.

If you're playing on medium or less, yeah, fast attacks and whatever you find fun in terms of signs is fine. On BBB or DM, you're going to need to plan a bit more. You're almost certainly going to want the alchemy skill that increases maximum toxicity so that you can combine decoctions and chug potions, plus alt Quen is amazing to heal yourself up.

If you like signs, then Igni with increased burn chance is mega useful against groups of downers and nekkers, plus it'll make short work of a lot of contract monsters. Wraiths, golems, elementals and a few other things really suffer against yrden and strong attacks, too.

I just finished ng+ (including dlc) on death march in griffin gear, going igni, quen and yrden with fast attacks for most of the game, switching out yrden and igni for strong attacks against bosses that resist signs. Always had max toxicity increased plus the alchemy skill that heals for every potion drunk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Think you are screwed.

I think I missed that too (I did get the notes that reveal fun things like Olgierd's love letters taken by the auction house and put up for a single gold piece - no takers - or the casual reveal that Van Rogh was actually Iris under an assumed name) - happily the reward I got at the end of the game for saving Olgierd from O'Dimm seems like it was probably as good if not better than that other item would have been anyway, even if it means I don't get to complete the set.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are they ever going to fix the Poor loving Infantry cards not stacking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would they bother? You'd have to have four in your hand to make each worth 4... in a game where 5 is the absolute minimum for inclusion in a decent deck. You're literally better off with Sheldon Skaggs.