Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's scary how many people don't understand that hating a character is part of the joy of partaking in media. The phrase "love to hate" has a long history, and penises have nothing to do with it. Narcissists, weasels and people that casually disregard others are easy to hate. Look at the reaction to Lester last season.

It has nothing to do with penises, please keep that poo poo out of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure misogyny has a lot to do with it but ok

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ICHIBAHN posted:

Do you see the boogeymen boogeyperson everywhere you go?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

"Hello, thread police? Yeah, we've got a Code Red."

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Curse of the Good Show's Thread strikes again

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
:yikes:
Time to take this thread off the favorites list.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MullardEL34 posted:

:yikes:
Time to take this thread off the favorites list.

shoot, now we dont get to read all your hot takes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i'm not sure we need to open all of these :can::can: but i hope its kind of uncontroversial that female characters in english-language tv shows are still often given much narrower roles than males, despite the progress of women's movements and all that. and the goon hate for skyler was very funny and bad

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

pile of brown posted:

How are people not getting that dunst's split screens show a)what she said and b)what she was actually doing? It was super significant and super obvious?

Nope, it sure wasn't! To be clear, I'm all for the use of voice-over contradicting the action on screen. But not the split screen.

They filmed 32 seconds of footage, cut it up and split-screened it into a 16 second segment for no reason. The left screen starts with her putting the magazines down on the mantelpiece, and cuts to her in front of her vanity, noticing a stain on her collar. The right screen shows her entering the room carrying the magazines, walking towards the mantelpiece, then cuts to her frantically scrubbing blood from her collar. So they are not two contrasting narratives, they are parts of a single narrative.

If you re-cut it into a single screen by taking the first part of right screen, then entire left screen, then second part of right, it would make complete sense chronologically and dramatically, and still show that she was lying.

There was no need for this at all. The editor probably heard someone mention "non-linear editing" and thought to himself "hey, that sounds cool, I'm gonna try that out at some random point whenever I get the opportunity!"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The meaningless split screen. Usually, split screens are employed when you want to show several simultaneous actions in different locations that are somehow linked, for instance in a heist movie (protagonist X is taking out the guards while Y is scaling the wall and Z is hacking the mainframe). Fargo showed the same actors on both screens, with the two different viewpoints just feet away from each other.

Kampfbereit posted:

Yes, but this would all have been better without the split screen. McCulkin's split screen was more or less OK I guess. Dunst's was plain terrible, as both screens showed her doing the same thing, but a few seconds apart.

Kampfbereit posted:

Maybe we are talking about different things here? I'm not saying that they shouldn't have shown her previous actions contradicting her statements. That was absolutely necessary, and juxtaposing the voice over with footage showing what actually happened is a common technique. I'm saying that there was absolutely no need to do that in a split screen.

Kampfbereit posted:

I'm all for the use of voice-over contradicting the action on screen. But not the split screen.

They filmed 32 seconds of footage, cut it up and split-screened it into a 16 second segment for no reason. The left screen starts with her putting the magazines down on the mantelpiece, and cuts to her in front of her vanity, noticing a stain on her collar. The right screen shows her entering the room carrying the magazines, walking towards the mantelpiece, then cuts to her frantically scrubbing blood from her collar. So they are not two contrasting narratives, they are parts of a single narrative.

If you re-cut it into a single screen by taking the first part of right screen, then entire left screen, then second part of right, it would make complete sense chronologically and dramatically, and still show that she was lying.

There was no need for this at all.

yes, you studied film for a semester, we get it

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Yes! Let's talk about Breaking Bad in every thread!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to look at Kirsten Dunst being a dick some more.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

What an odd way to phrase that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Moltke posted:

Yes! Let's talk about Breaking Bad in every thread!

this train will not stop

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure we need to open all of these :can::can: but i hope its kind of uncontroversial that female characters in english-language tv shows are still often given much narrower roles than males, despite the progress of women's movements and all that.

The first season of Fargo did a good job with Molly's character, in much the same way that the film did with Marge Gunderson. And the judge from the premiere of season 2 was definitely a strong female presence while she was alive.

But yes, overall Western media does not do a good job with female characters. Bechdel test, et cetera.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Okay. Let's never talk about this again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

women, am I right?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh hey look you guys the new episode's on

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

i am both disgusted and excited at the prospect of whatever this entails

:goonsay:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh hey look you guys the new episode's on

Why would we talk about Fargo in the Fargo thread?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LostRook posted:

Why would we talk about Fargo in the Fargo thread?

Because the show isn't set in Fargo. :newlol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

precision posted:

Because the show isn't set in Fargo. :newlol:

the geography of the movie and show is actually pretty interesting if you're from here. i live in minneapolis now but i grew up in west-central and northwestern minnesota, and i feel like the coens and hawley have done a good job at portraying some of the subtle nuances of place. i will try and remember to do a post with some actual effort on this later

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Woodbine is enjoying the hell out of this role.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Hawley must've been disappointed he couldn't fit a woodchipper into season one.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
It's the Martians!

e: :rock:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I kind of want this season to actually just have aliens now.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jack Skeleton posted:

Dunst hate flows strong. I thought her character worked great and the split screen did exactly what it needed to do.

Not seeing any particular Dunst hate. Lots of split screens hate for some reason though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

now thats some split screen baby :fap:

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Great first two episodes! Personally I'm down with the split screens and don't think they detract from the show. I'm really digging the Kansas City crew and am excited to see where the syndicate off goes. What a cast, what a soundtrack!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Episode 2 seemed rather expository. There were lots of interesting smaller things, but no huge holyshits in terms of major plot points, so it's hard to comment on things overall.

Mike Milligan is creepy, but the intensity of his creepiness is kind of indeterminate. So far he's vaguely Malvo-esque in terms of tactical weirdo menacing, but with the twist that his lines were fed through the second prize winner of the Tarantino Dialogue Generator Contest. I did really enjoy his bit about the coffee maker, though. Also notable is that the stretch of land from Fargo to Luverne would have approximately, oh, 0.00 black or Jewish people in the year 1980, and I'm curious if this will be expanded upon in any way besides the throwaway comment or two made by the Fargo family sons. And finally, I'm curious where the Kansas City boss went off to between the crab pincer conversation and them getting stopped by ol' Teddy Danson.

The other thing I have to comment on is, well, Meat Damon. so gross lol. and as we fade out from that mess, the voice-over at the end of the episode is from none other than War of the Worlds :iiam:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBJXbRQ_r9Q

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that Mike Milligan has that kind of Elmore Leonard "bad guy who maybe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is but isn't as dumb as others think either" thing going. The way he completely controlled the car stop scene was fantastic, especially considering the fact it's a black guy in the 70s being pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a white Sheriff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Mike Milligan has that kind of Elmore Leonard "bad guy who maybe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is but isn't as dumb as others think either" thing going. The way he completely controlled the car stop scene was fantastic, especially considering the fact it's a black guy in the 70s being pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a white Sheriff.

Mike reminded me a lot of random bad guys from Justified. That is a good way to sum him up.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Toplowtech posted:

She is a “a small town beautician with big city dreams who is trying to figure out who she really is and what she really wants as she struggles with traditional societal expectations." I somehow hope her character arc is joining the local Fargo mafia as a hit woman.

I'm only 10 minutes into the second episode so I'm gonna wait a minute before reading the last couple dozen replies but my completely out there prediction is she's the mother of someone important in the season 1.

e: This guy is channeling Obama.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 20, 2015

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The Chinaman is not the issue here, Mrs. Gerhardt

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, my first thought was also Character From A Leonard Book instead of Malvo: 70s Edition, which is a good thing imo.

Peggy's secret lesbian boss is so dead.

Also Fat Damon is fat and sad.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Specifically the prog version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPYJgjRV0XQ

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm glad Jake Armitage is posting again this season, too: in S1 everyone thought he was insane because he was pulling out all these allegories to ancient Jewish mystical figures but then a couple episodes later everything he predicted made perfect sense :pwn:

I'm definitely hoping for another puzzle to solve this season. TVIV is hilariously poor at interpretive analysis (or any analysis, really) of what they watch, but I'll probably post my thoughts anyway :spergin: At least this thread is a little better than the Walking Dead thread.

I actually already kind of have a theory brewing, but this season so far has been really slow paced and deliberate, which I kind of like, even if it makes it even harder to figure out what the show is getting at and what lore he's working from.

The funniest part about last season was that all that demon stuff was pretty heavily telegraphed from the first episode, its just that it went right over all but like 3 or 4 people's head in this thread. The fun part was figuring out what specific mythology we were dealing with, but the rest of the thread was angry at even the suggestion that there was source material, and/or that anyone would care.

But this season already has two hard references to aliens, so if anyone wants to get angry again at anyone interested in dissecting it as we go on, then.... :suicide:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I must have missed the extraterrestrial reference in the past episode can someone fill me in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing that distracted Rye long enough for Kirsten Dunst to hit him with the car.

• Locked thread