Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I thought it was a joke like those "X-ray" camera apps

But actually it's not a joke, it's really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I got a digital camcorder, one of the first things I did with it was leave it on while it went through an airport x‐ray machine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

that was a tourist video? Does Houston not have better visited attractions than a construction site?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think a hardhat would have helped here.

This was about 40 minutes from my house. The thing that hit him was a gigantic wooden pad that probably took several people to lift.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

simplefish posted:

I thought it was a joke like those "X-ray" camera apps

But actually it's not a joke, it's really cool
Bought it, was not disappointed. The app was made by a researcher at the Helmholz institute in Munich to help people in Japan affected by the Fukushima disaster.

http://www.rdklein.de/

I remember reading somewhere that some of the particle detectors in the ATLAS detector at Cern are also made out of CMOS chips, but I didn't really connect the dots before. Neat.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Tsuru posted:

This is not getting enough love.

This is awesome!

I bought that app a few days ago, so I can give an opinion and some results from it.
On my old HTC Desire (which I resurrected for the purpose of testing this app), despite that the app author rates it as a very good phone for this purpose, the optimal setup produces counts-per-minute so low that they could equally be noise, and only a strong source would be distinguishable from background.
On my HTC One Mini (selfie-side camera), I've managed to get a configuration that can distinguish between background and being placed on my "granite" mortar and pestle, and (subject to more readings for confirmation), there appears to be a radiation gradient across my room, possibly indicating a source somewhere; the gradient (if it really exists) is in the opposite direction from that which you would expect, given the orientation of my house and the sedimentary rocks that my basement room is built in...
It only detects gamma and some quantity of beta, and if you take an average for less than about an hour, you're not going to get a realistic value for the radiation level in Grays. Now that I have it in the optimal setup and know the background CPM (assuming that my ~20 hours of logging have produced a true low noise setup), I could locate strong sources in real time, if I had such a source available.

Edit: having read the linked article, I see that it claims that beta cannot be detected, whereas that crazy German woman who has loads of radioactivity videos on Youtube says that it will detect beta.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 17, 2015

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

I like that the Germans just laugh at it until they realize someone they know might be under it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I supervised a student that actually did some measurements with those phone apps using a radioactive source (Cs-137, around 40 microsv/hr at 2 cm distance). Apparently iRad for iOS gave the best results. They were all 2.5x lower than they needed to be, but the standard deviation was low. Radioactivity Counter was a decent alternative (Android and iOS). However, you will need to measure for 5-30 minutes to get a good value, while at a distance of a couple of centimeters, so they're not really useful for quick measurements.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Samopsa posted:

I supervised a student that actually did some measurements with those phone apps using a radioactive source (Cs-137, around 40 microsv/hr at 2 cm distance). Apparently iRad for iOS gave the best results. They were all 2.5x lower than they needed to be, but the standard deviation was low. Radioactivity Counter was a decent alternative (Android and iOS). However, you will need to measure for 5-30 minutes to get a good value, while at a distance of a couple of centimeters, so they're not really useful for quick measurements.

The app is great for loving around in areas with reasonably high levels of background radiation. It goes completely bugfuck when you get your face x-rayed, but doesn't really have the discrimination to detect really low dose things without that really long sample time.

Fun fact: If you're in an area with sufficiently high flux in the x-ray and gamma spectrum, you start seeing little sparkles in your vision. Your retina, which is complete poo poo at interacting with x-rays and gamma, has enough delicious ionizing radiation passing through it that the rods and cones start spontaneously firing. That or there is enough radiation striking the watery part of your eye that it produces enough Cherenkov radiation to be visible. Either way, your best bet once that starts happening is to ask for a lead lined coffin and blow your brains out, because you're well past the instantaneous fatal dose level, and edging into the 'radiation levels so high your body heats up and cooks to death'.

The dipshit who climbed into the Co-60 death room may have experienced that phenomenon, briefly, before he realized how badly he hosed up.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The app is great for loving around in areas with reasonably high levels of background radiation. It goes completely bugfuck when you get your face x-rayed, but doesn't really have the discrimination to detect really low dose things without that really long sample time.

Fun fact: If you're in an area with sufficiently high flux in the x-ray and gamma spectrum, you start seeing little sparkles in your vision. Your retina, which is complete poo poo at interacting with x-rays and gamma, has enough delicious ionizing radiation passing through it that the rods and cones start spontaneously firing. That or there is enough radiation striking the watery part of your eye that it produces enough Cherenkov radiation to be visible. Either way, your best bet once that starts happening is to ask for a lead lined coffin and blow your brains out, because you're well past the instantaneous fatal dose level, and edging into the 'radiation levels so high your body heats up and cooks to death'.

The dipshit who climbed into the Co-60 death room may have experienced that phenomenon, briefly, before he realized how badly he hosed up.

It's not necessarily anywhere near fatal flux; Apollo astronauts reported the phenomenon, and most of them didn’t die of acute radiation sickness.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ArcMage posted:

It's not necessarily anywhere near fatal flux; Apollo astronauts reported the phenomenon, and most of them didn’t die of acute radiation sickness.

Those were cosmic rays, a different beast.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

VectorSigma posted:

Those were cosmic rays, a different beast.

Ben Grimm nooooo

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Samopsa posted:

With the one I have - Radioactivity Counter - you can enter the appropriate parameters once you've calibrated your phone with a source, or you can use the parameters given on the author's site, so it should give a relatively accurate reading. The author's site has charts showing the results of tests with calibrated sources (bottom of page) -
http://rdklein.de/html/radioa_data.html
And videos with a radiation setup that would kill most of the people mentioned in this thread:
http://rdklein.de/html/radioa_videos.html
(2nd and 3rd videos from bottom)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

I read an anecdote that the first wave of firefighters at Chernobyl felt pins & needles in their faces from the radiation given off by the still-on-fire core. They all died horribly.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Dark One posted:

I read an anecdote that the first wave of firefighters at Chernobyl felt pins & needles in their faces from the radiation given off by the still-on-fire core. They all died horribly.

Any time you read a report that involves feeling physical things in response to radiation generally ends with "And they all died in horrible agony".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

How to load a crate:
http://imgur.com/gallery/tTmDc5d
(is large, beware mobile data users)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/RWG8e8n.gifv

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Seriously, put some gloves and hairnets on that's not sanitary. :stonk:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously, put some gloves and a hairnet on that's not sanitary. :stonk:

it still has to be cooked you know

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bandsaws freak me the gently caress out. I've never been able to bring myself to use one.

(Says the guy who's worked on a 40ft extensible platform truck with no railings or fall protection. :v:)

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Just.... wow. Dude must get paid cents on the ton to want to go that fast.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously, put some gloves and hairnets on that's not sanitary. :stonk:

The 'sanitary' part of handling raw chicken is to not touch other food that won't be cooked to the same extent as the chicken.

You don't have to wash hands, utensils, and cooking surfaces to prevent infecting the chicken.

Also, that job looks like it has a high turnover rate due to loss of fingers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I almost started a small fire in my grade 9 woodshop class when I was having trouble getting the band saw to cut a hard knot or something (it was a large piece of redwood iirc, teacher asked me to cut it for something) and couldn't get pass this one spot.

After trying for probably 30ish seconds all of a sudden it started smoking really bad and the teacher ran over and turned it off and yelled at me for being dumb or something (he was a big prick). Turns out there's a lot of heat from friction if you just let it rub on the wood continuously

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

for fucks sake WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's just a water displacer, it's inferior to actual lubes for any lubricating application :argh:

personally I like white lithium grease, that stuff's pretty good

women often say im a water displacer

because they stop being wet when i show up :smith:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

MrYenko posted:

Bandsaws freak me the gently caress out. I've never been able to bring myself to use one.

(Says the guy who's worked on a 40ft extensible platform truck with no railings or fall protection. :v:)

As far as saws go they're very safe 'cause they pull the work down against the table. I'm much more comfortable working around bandsaws than table/chop saws et al

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

How to load a crate:

No liftgate? No problem.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

simplefish posted:

How to load a crate:

Coordination between them is amazing. Not even kidding. Unless there's a way to gravity-drop the fork on the small forklift.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I recalled reading the book "Final Warning" about the Chernobyl accident. There were some workers near the reactor four area that ran to the control room shortly after the explosion. They were exposed to so much radiation that it basically gave their skin a sunburn. They had an interesting conversation with the foreman running the reactor during the test that basically went like this:

:rant: We've got to get water to the reactor core!
:stonk: The core is gone. It's exploded, there's nothing their but debris!
:rant: No the steam generators exploded. We need to get water to the core immediately!
:stonk: The core is gone.

The guys who got hit with those extremely high doses died shortly afterwards, including workers who ran to the ruined building to search for coworkers who were crushed under rubble. The just "felt tired" and sat down in the stairwell near the core and never got back up.

Will those iPhone meters work on a source as low as 1.5uS per hour, or is that too low? (That's about what you'd get from old depression-era vaseline glass that uses Uranium as a colorant.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Out Our Way (February 11, 1928)
The lighter side of horrible workplace safety

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tunicate posted:

Out Our Way (February 11, 1928)
The lighter side of horrible workplace safety

How do you say in Hungarian "Once you get out of that machine, you're fired."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:stonk: held my breathe the whole way through this, just waiting for the inevitable.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I hadn't seen this one, just the pork one. I'm sure it's been posted before but I'll repost it just in case (no fingers go missing, don't worry)

http://imgur.com/gallery/EzQcJEE

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A classic tale.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

Will those iPhone meters work on a source as low as 1.5uS per hour, or is that too low? (That's about what you'd get from old depression-era vaseline glass that uses Uranium as a colorant.)

That's 10% of the weakest source measured by the author of the Android/iPhone app (not sure about the iPhone-only one), and not only that, but the uranium itself decays by alpha emission, which phones can't detect. There are beta emissions in the decay chain but the range of energies of beta particles that phones will detect is variable, and may be zero, depending whose opinion you trust. In any case, you would have to calibrate the phone to the background level and then leave it against the glass for probably an hour or so to be sure that the reading is above background, but the app is like $3.50, so it's not a big risk to find out and show off to your friends.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Uthor posted:

I got a weather warning yesterday saying that dry weather and high winds could lead to fires out in corn and soy bean fields. Someone should have subscribed to some weather alerts!

imagine if he'd thought to have a fire extinguisher on hand as he welded

am i the only person who does this

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Placid Marmot posted:

That's 10% of the weakest source measured by the author of the Android/iPhone app (not sure about the iPhone-only one), and not only that, but the uranium itself decays by alpha emission, which phones can't detect. There are beta emissions in the decay chain but the range of energies of beta particles that phones will detect is variable, and may be zero, depending whose opinion you trust. In any case, you would have to calibrate the phone to the background level and then leave it against the glass for probably an hour or so to be sure that the reading is above background, but the app is like $3.50, so it's not a big risk to find out and show off to your friends.

I have a cheap little Radex digital geiger counter that measures Beta and Gamma. It's a good "around the house" geiger counter. Wouldn't use it elsewhere.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

I have a cheap little Radex digital geiger counter that measures Beta and Gamma. It's a good "around the house" geiger counter. Wouldn't use it elsewhere.

I'd ask what the hell you're keeping around your house, but then I look at your avatar and get distracted by China Syndrome youtube clips again.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

The difference is that you have an actual Geiger counter, as opposed to literally a mobile phone camera. Your Radex should show some response from the uraniumware and maybe give a dosage per hour, but with a phone, you're gambling with your $3.50.
Is that a gamble that you can afford????????? ?

Ed: I think actually the app is 3.5€ not $3.50, so we're talking high stakes here.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

A classic tale.

The rules: sleeves rolled up, shirt tucked in, no jewelry, and for gods sake have respect for a spinning shaft. I almost lost a finger thanks to forgetting about my wedding ring once.

• Locked thread