Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is no current soak test for the Moto X Pure. But near final software is being tested with the public.

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/a2wPrZ8zf6P

quote:

There have been a couple reports of a Marshmallow "soak test" that has started for Moto X 2015 Pure Edition. Just want to make it clear that we have NOT started a formal "soak test". We have started a small TestDrive for the Marshmallow upgrade on Moto X 2015 Pure Edition. We will be conducting these tests for the next couple of weeks. Pending the feedback during this test cycle will determine the timing of a full soak test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

repiv posted:

Not sure, but an alternative would be to wipe your data from recovery since that doesn't use the touchscreen.

Hold down the power button to force a reboot, then hold down both volume buttons to enter the bootloader. From there you can enter recovery and do a factory reset using the volume buttons to scroll and power button to confirm.

Not only is the glass cracked, the screen is messed up. I can only see about 15% of the screen unfortunately. However, I just went to the AT&T store to get a new nano SIM card so I can put it in my new temp Moto X (Until the Nexus 6P ships) that I will be getting later today and since my Nexus 5 SIM is deactivated, seems like Android Device Manager is connected to the device.

At the AT&T store, the woman who helped me was able to deactivate my old SIM and give me a new Nano SIM but since I did not have my new device on me, she put in a random IMEI number from a display Motorola model - that's normal procedure, correct? That display model won't be getting all my texts and calls in the meantime?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

1+2: GLU9-VWHL-O9Z1-QZJ5

Who wants it? I signed up for shits and giggles and now they have come through.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

XIII posted:

99% sure it's the device

Busy Bee posted:

I have a Nexus 5 with Android Device Manager enabled but I want to remotely wipe the data since I cracked the screen last night and I have lost all touch functionality. My question is, is the wipe function on Device Manager connected with the actual device or the SIM card?

Neither. Sadly a full wipe of the OS prevents device manager doing anything at all.

However, so long as your device is still running right, in your case it's the device/ OS - SIM card is irrelevant.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

wooger posted:

Neither. Sadly a full wipe of the OS prevents device manager doing anything at all.

However, so long as your device is still running right, in your case it's the device/ OS - SIM card is irrelevant.

Wait, what? Who said anything about wiping the OS? Maybe I'm confused, but I read that as the OP having a phone with a non working screen, so he wanted to clear all his data off it. If that the case, logging into Android Device Manager and wiping the device is exactly what he wants to do. It won't affect the OS or SIM card.

Busy Bee posted:

At the AT&T store, the woman who helped me was able to deactivate my old SIM and give me a new Nano SIM but since I did not have my new device on me, she put in a random IMEI number from a display Motorola model - that's normal procedure, correct? That display model won't be getting all my texts and calls in the meantime?

Correct. They just used it as a placeholder while the juggled your devices. I've had VZW reps do something similar, although their system has dummy IMEIs for that sort of thing, and never had an issue.

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 17, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had a non-Google app show as backed up on their device yet? When I go to drive and ask to show me backed up apps I'm still seeing the short list of Google apps (and Awful). Apps updated for 6 that were called out in that Ars article, like Instagram, are still not showing as being backed up.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

XIII posted:

Wait, what? Who said anything about wiping the OS? Maybe I'm confused, but I read that as the OP having a phone with a non working screen, so he wanted to clear all his data off it. If that the case, logging into Android Device Manager and wiping the device is exactly what he wants to do. It won't affect the OS or SIM card.

That's correct.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FunOne posted:

Has anyone had a non-Google app show as backed up on their device yet? When I go to drive and ask to show me backed up apps I'm still seeing the short list of Google apps (and Awful). Apps updated for 6 that were called out in that Ars article, like Instagram, are still not showing as being backed up.

I've got Awful and a "Reddit is Fun" app that are being backed up and the rest are google.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My phone, a OneTouch Idol Mini by Alcatel, is stuck on 4.2.2, and I'm not in a situation where I can just get a new phone, nor do I particularly want to, anyway.

I understand that phone security is pretty important, but I'm new to the whole 'having a smartphone' thing and don't know where to start. Should I have an anti-virus app installed on my phone? Is there one that is particularly recommended?
There is no port of cyanogenmod for my phone, as far as I know.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Anti virus is pretty pointless unless you are installing apps from non trusted sources.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy poo poo my 2015 Moto XP did great running Golfshot gps app on and off for 5 hrs today and only dropped from 99 to 87% which is really drat great.

Small things like setting screen at 15 seconds, turning off the "rumble key" vibrate thing when you use the keyboard really seem to help a lot I've noticed.

On the way home the phone was not happy running Waze and streaming music and was going backwards quick even plugged in. I do have that auto turbo charger from Amzn noted a page back on the way so I'll see if that helps.

In hindsight having 192 G (64 + 128 sd) of storage on my phone wasn't really needed, however the 2008 era IPod 80G I use for my car is bound to die someday so it is nice to have all my music on my phone.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I'm switching to a new device from my Nexus 5 and don't really care about my SMS messages or game app backups, I can just start clean from my new device since my Google account automatically backups my contacts / photos (Google Photos) / music (Google Music)?

One thing I feel like I'm missing are my files in my "Download" folder on my N5 but I don't think I will bother, am I missing anything else?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Keyser S0ze posted:

Holy poo poo my 2015 Moto XP did great running Golfshot gps app on and off for 5 hrs today and only dropped from 99 to 87% which is really drat great.

Small things like setting screen at 15 seconds, turning off the "rumble key" vibrate thing when you use the keyboard really seem to help a lot I've noticed.

On the way home the phone was not happy running Waze and streaming music and was going backwards quick even plugged in. I do have that auto turbo charger from Amzn noted a page back on the way so I'll see if that helps.

In hindsight having 192 G (64 + 128 sd) of storage on my phone wasn't really needed, however the 2008 era IPod 80G I use for my car is bound to die someday so it is nice to have all my music on my phone.

I read an article a year ago about how the vibration motor on a phone is a huge consumer of battery power. I wonder how accurate that is, I just assumed it was XDA levels of spergin.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
My girlfriend's first-gen Moto X just lost its camera. Like, apropos of nothing, it just doesn't seem to detect that it has a camera module plugged in at all, anymore; camera apps produce the user-facing preview with no option to turn the view around, flashlight apps don't activate.

gently caress. I imagine the cost-efficient response is "huh, bummer, guess you should buy a new one" but the phone is otherwise in excellent condition, sort of sentimental, and I loath wastefulness. Is there any justifiable method of repairing this? The camera is honestly kind of important.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Eikre posted:

My girlfriend's first-gen Moto X just lost its camera. Like, apropos of nothing, it just doesn't seem to detect that it has a camera module plugged in at all, anymore; camera apps produce the user-facing preview with no option to turn the view around, flashlight apps don't activate.

gently caress. I imagine the cost-efficient response is "huh, bummer, guess you should buy a new one" but the phone is otherwise in excellent condition, sort of sentimental, and I loath wastefulness. Is there any justifiable method of repairing this? The camera is honestly kind of important.

Exact same thing just happened to me on my Turbo and Moto replaced it after a quick chat. I guess the only difference is that yours probably isn't under warranty anymore? Get with their customer service and try your luck, maybe there's some sort contingency for an outright hardware failure or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Eikre posted:

Put it up on eBay as is, listed accurately with the broken camera. You'll sell it for about $75-$100 less than a fully working used one, and then buy that one.

I've broken a few phone screens and "repaired" them for the difference in price between selling and buying like that.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Busy Bee posted:

I have a Nexus 5 with Android Device Manager enabled but I want to remotely wipe the data since I cracked the screen last night and I have lost all touch functionality. My question is, is the wipe function on Device Manager connected with the actual device or the SIM card?

It's the device. If you have more than one it'll let you pick.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Well, I was excited for the Priv cause I'm one of those weirdos that likes physical keyboards. But, it looks to be hilariously priced.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/blackberry-priv :lol: that preorder price.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone thinking about cases for the 5x yet? Ice Blue is shipping Oct 26, and White/Black are shipping Oct 22. I'm thinking why wait for an Ice Blue if I'm just going to cover it up with a case. I haven't seen any bumper cases like I have for my Moto X.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Jamba juice has deadzebra android figures if you pay with android pay.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 18, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone thinking about cases for the 5x yet? Ice Blue is shipping Oct 26, and White/Black are shipping Oct 22. I'm thinking why wait for an Ice Blue if I'm just going to cover it up with a case. I haven't seen any bumper cases like I have for my Moto X.

I've seen a few bumper sort of things. Don't have experience with any of those companies, and I'm not even sure if I'll get a case.

Note that those each have something resembling the blue 5x.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've seen a few bumper sort of things. Don't have experience with any of those companies, and I'm not even sure if I'll get a case.

Note that those each have something resembling the blue 5x.

A bumper case just wraps around the edges with no back. I hope someone makes one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I...I...just made a cardboard cutout of a 6P.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dude

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

:negative:

I just went to the store and played with the big iPhone. They're practically identical in size. I can't reasonably operate it with one hand.

Google's photos on their store site show a man using the 6p doing man stuff, and a woman using the 5x. Still getting the 5x.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=50187531

Looks like the newest Android vulnerability relies on the carrier and not just Google.

All AT&T and Verizon phones are at risk, apparently, due to a "vulnerability found in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)". Wonder why it just affects Android devices.

Google knows of it and will be including it in the November security update for Nexus devices.

Thermopyle posted:

For SHAME.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Somebody please transfer Thermopyle's mod star over to hotsauce.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Are mod stars made out of grip tape?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Here's the info on that VoLTE security stuff, after going through a matryoshka doll of blogspam.

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/943167

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Somebody please transfer Thermopyle's mod star over to hotsauce.

Wow a promotion! Thanks guys! Free griptape for every goon!

For the record I have never done the cardboard cutout thing. As was mentioned above, just go hold an iPhone 6+. That's a 6P sans cardboard hijinks. Easy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

Wow a promotion! Thanks guys! Free griptape for every goon!

For the record I have never done the cardboard cutout thing. As was mentioned above, just go hold an iPhone 6+. That's a 6P sans cardboard hijinks. Easy.

Youd just buy an iphone 6+ and return it

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Don Lapre posted:

Youd just buy an iphone 6+ and return it

:iceburn:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any reason why running the flash-all script from a Nexus factory image to factory reset it should leave it bootlooping?

I've tried all kinds of things tonight, including manually inputting the commands myself to putting TWRP on there and formatting things in there. Nothing works. I was only going to use this device for a few months more anyway, but it's annoying that I just wanted to patch out Stagefright and it's dead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Corrupt image?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Any reason why running the flash-all script from a Nexus factory image to factory reset it should leave it bootlooping?

I've tried all kinds of things tonight, including manually inputting the commands myself to putting TWRP on there and formatting things in there. Nothing works. I was only going to use this device for a few months more anyway, but it's annoying that I just wanted to patch out Stagefright and it's dead.

The first thing I'd say is that you accidentally downloaded the wrong image. If that isn't it check the checksums which are on the page to verify it's fine. Then I guess redownload it or maybe the one before it and download and apply the OTA in order to update.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Bootloop update: I wonder if I installed a poo poo version of adb and fastboot at the system level on my Mac, because rebooting to Windows and trying there worked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Bootloop update: I wonder if I installed a poo poo version of adb and fastboot at the system level on my Mac, because rebooting to Windows and trying there worked.

When's the last time you updated ADB/fastboot? In your Tools folder just run the file called android. It will update everything (though you can uncheck a lot when you do this). The only thing you really need to update is Android SDK Platform-tools and Android SDK Tools.

Be aware if you put other things into those folders for later use (like I keep my SuperSU.zip and modified boot.img and recoveries in there), they'll be erased so move them out temporarily.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Ars review of the 5X & 6P is up. Haven't read much but it looks like Amadeo really likes the both of them.

e: that notification LED in the speaker grill of the 5X is classy.

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

e: that notification LED in the speaker grill of the 5X is classy.

It needs to move from left to right and the phone needs a KITT voice pack.