Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chrysophylax posted:

Cannons work only if the ship you're attacking is very large, Asp and above. But to be fair, cannons are poo poo guns by design - they're the low power, low energy variants of the multicannons. High punch, low bullet velocity, easy to miss with.

IMO, lasers are good only because everything else is so goddamn unusable. They're, by and large, too energy hungry for the damage they do, even compared to stuff like railguns and multicannons. That is, you can't fire them for very long if you're not really attempting to balance your distributor settings - as soon as you get your rear end in an anaconda or python and you *don't* have 4 pips to WEP, you'll see just how little you can actually fire your 3 or 4 pulse lasers. Your mighty Anaconda becomes a paper tiger - indestructible, but incapable of dealing damage.

If you compare it to the cookie cutter FDL PVP build that is all multicannons and PAC, you can fire forever and a day with no pips to WEP. This allows you to keep 4 pips to SYS and 2 to ENG for extended periods, making you a far tougher opponent than you seem at first.

So I think there is some thought by :frontear: to the way the weapons work. It's *so close* to being balanced, if only you could have ammo modules, or literally multiply by 10-100 the ammo counts

Edit: changed a word, added others

Honestly I think it would help a lot if they made guns reload themselves out of combat from the cargo hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Chrysophylax posted:

Cannons work only if the ship you're attacking is very large, Asp and above. But to be fair, cannons are poo poo guns by design - they're the low power, low energy variants of the multicannons. High punch, low bullet velocity, easy to miss with.

IMO, lasers are good only because everything else is so goddamn unusable. They're, by and large, too energy hungry for the damage they do, even compared to stuff like railguns and multicannons. That is, you can't fire them for very long if you're not really attempting to balance your distributor settings - as soon as you get your rear end in an anaconda or python and you *don't* have 4 pips to WEP, you'll see just how little you can actually fire your 3 or 4 pulse lasers. Your mighty Anaconda becomes a paper tiger - indestructible, but incapable of dealing damage.

If you compare it to the cookie cutter FDL PVP build that is all multicannons and PAC, you can fire forever and a day with no pips to WEP. This allows you to keep 4 pips to SYS and 2 to ENG for extended periods, making you a far tougher opponent than you seem at first.

So I think there is some thought by :frontear: to the way the weapons work. It's *so close* to being balanced, if only you could have ammo modules, or literally multiply by 10-100 the ammo counts

Edit: changed a word, added others

Right, cannons loving suck as a player because gimbaled isn't perfect, nor is player aim

NPCs however don't seem to be restricted and will nail you perfectly

VVVV

Me: I prefer straight lasers because I can aim
*gets a Cobra*
Me: Oh god dammit

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Right, cannons loving suck as a player because gimbaled isn't perfect, nor is player aim

NPCs however don't seem to be restricted and will nail you perfectly

It doesn't help that gimbles are required on some ships because of hardpoint placement and convergence issues.

Cobra MkIII, I'm looking at you.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PS loving witchspace is broken again

Maybe this is how they are addressing Sothis, by making long runs absolutely awful
Nah, this is how they're compensating.

This afternoon, I flew from the station in Sothis to the outpost, and some space cop smelled space weed and tried to pull me over every 100 Ls for 3/4 of the trip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was starting to think that might be the only time mines would be useful but nah.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Maybe this is how they are addressing Sothis, by making long runs absolutely awful

Supposedly playing solo makes it worse, so if you want to do the Sothis Shuffle without having to deal with your fellow man you can make a private group consisting of only yourself and play using that instead.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you are playing solo, create a private group and jump in that and enjoy the short jumps. Solo witchspace is where the 5 minute jumps are.

e:oops, what 3 said

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I have a Type 6 and a DBS, should I bother with this Sothis stuff at all or am I too space poor? I mean if I can do it viably, it'll be nice to have some bank built up for when the Federal Corvette comes out so I can get it and finally stop being nice to Federal ships and join up with goons maybe.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'll try group if it gets bad

Because I apparently make horrible decisions

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sard posted:

I have a Type 6 and a DBS, should I bother with this Sothis stuff at all or am I too space poor? I mean if I can do it viably, it'll be nice to have some bank built up for when the Federal Corvette comes out so I can get it and finally stop being nice to Federal ships and join up with goons maybe.
It's all smuggling missions, not normal fetch quests. You can do it.

Might get a little frustrating running from your newfound admirers in a tub, though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The witchspace thing is 100% because the servers or game can't deal with people having lots of missions at once. No one ever noticed before because no one took lots of missions lol

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's all smuggling missions, not normal fetch quests. You can do it.

Might get a little frustrating running from your newfound admirers in a tub, though.

Not true. The smuggling missions pay the most but there are low cargo standard missions that can be worth over a million.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

frank.club posted:

Not true. The smuggling missions pay the most but there are low cargo standard missions that can be worth over a million.

They are rare and need a high rank in both trading and alliance.

Sothis smuggling runs are INCREDIBLE money for the time spent, but require you to spend actual time. Combat and legit/local smuggling runs are not bad money for < 1 hour investment, but if you can sit the ~3 hours to Sothis and back, you make insane money.

It's not broken or bad, because trading/smuggling should give better rewards for longer distance. Rather, it's a reflection of how bad straight bountyhunting is, and it makes local trading just look bad. Yes more time investment should get you more but not 10x more.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My personal opinion is that smuggling should stay the high-dollar revenue stream that it is, but should be much more dangerous. Not annoying like it is now, but actually dangerous. Such as being caught or scanned means you cannot then sell those goods to the destination station, or scanning causing straight up mission failure. And then the guy constantly going "hey..hey..hey...hey...follow me" might not be such a bad alternative if he increased his reward and also paid your bounty for you if you'd been scanned already. The pieces are there for great dynamic smuggling mechanics, but they need to be arranged better. As it is, once you have the high dollar mission, it's very difficult to fail at it. It just gets annoying being interdicted constantly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chaosapiant posted:

My personal opinion is that smuggling should stay the high-dollar revenue stream that it is, but should be much more dangerous. Not annoying like it is now, but actually dangerous. Such as being caught or scanned means you cannot then sell those goods to the destination station, or scanning causing straight up mission failure. And then the guy constantly going "hey..hey..hey...hey...follow me" might not be such a bad alternative if he increased his reward and also paid your bounty for you if you'd been scanned already. The pieces are there for great dynamic smuggling mechanics, but they need to be arranged better. As it is, once you have the high dollar mission, it's very difficult to fail at it. It just gets annoying being interdicted constantly.

Throw those ideas into this thread and mayyyyyyyyybe someone will listen: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=192105

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

20 minutes into Sothis and chill

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I don't mind smuggling being more dangerous but I was bringing some goods into port while silent runningand a scan started on me so I hit chaff and popped a heatsink and the scan still got through. Should that happen?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shine posted:

Throw those ideas into this thread and mayyyyyyyyybe someone will listen: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=192105

Done. And while not mentioned in the thread, I think we have the same idea regarding smuggling becoming the ultimate in high stakes game play. The poo poo should be tense in the same way that high stakes gambling is.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rasmussen posted:

I don't mind smuggling being more dangerous but I was bringing some goods into port while silent runningand a scan started on me so I hit chaff and popped a heatsink and the scan still got through. Should that happen?

Yes. There is no 100 percent way to avoid scanning. Afaik, getting into the mail slot before the scan is complete is the only way really, and the rest just mitigates the risk.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Yes. There is no 100 percent way to avoid scanning. Afaik, getting into the mail slot before the scan is complete is the only way really, and the rest just mitigates the risk.

If they changed it so you lose your cargo or worse your ship, if you get scanned then they will have to change that. However a 60k fine in a system I barely pass through on an 8m mission doesn't really worry me.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Changing smuggling would require big changes to fines and penalties overall

As far as I can tell fines don't affect your game at all. I guess in Open players can BH you? Given that solo play is a thing that's not a threat at all to be honest.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Fines become bounties when they expire so the cops might give some grief but that'd be it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They should start firing on you depending on how bad the infraction is.

Or eachh time you're caught smuggling your insurance premiums go up :unsmigghh:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
They need to make it so that fines/bounties go major faction-wide once the week is up and tie bounties/fines to the ships themselves. Then they need to put in ways to be a criminal without automatically getting a fine fpr certain actions; signal jammers, shielded cargo holds, etc.

But the fact that players just CAN'T get faction-wide bounties as the game stands right now is mystifying to me.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Vesuvit is probably more $$$ per hour, fyi. Once you have all the factions allied, you end up getting through the tedious mission farming part something like five times faster and can fly back on a single asp's tank for the mission dump phase.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Doo do dooo...

You guys are all doing boring Sothis runs.

I'm sitting over here getting my Empire ranking up to buy shiny iClipper.

Which is in turn going to build me up from a measely 4million to hopefully around 24 million to do stuff with it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I did one Sothis run in a lovely Diamondback Explorer with FSD C. Spent five minutes looking for missions and left, flew back and bought a pretty sweet Asp. I thought the last ship had a nice cockpit, but the Asp is glorious.

I would rate my Sothis Experience as positive and relatively brief.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, sorry if this has been asked already, but in regards to the Emperor's Dawn insurgency CG (couldn't they pick something a little less pro-Empire sounding?), are there any limitations when it comes to picking a side? Like, could I start all six CGs, get into the top 100% in all of them, then just focus on one of the anti-Empire ones (as I've been doing thus far)? Or will the other side's CGs be locked once I sign up for the opposing force's? Thanks

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I bought a Viper the other day, kitted it out with Medium Lasers and Small Multicannons and it seems ok, I got it annihilated a couple of times for reasons I couldn't quite determine but settled into it a bit more. I took a smuggling mission to Serret and picked up a mission to steal some tea. But I just could not find it, I killed ~200K space bucks worth of space pirates but still no tea! Is there some secret to finding the signal source which your mission is at? I would fly around for a bit and suddenly 3 or 4 signals would appear at the same time so I'd pick one at random and go there, but to no avail.

Still I picked up another smuggling mission for ~350K space bucks so got over a million in my bank just now. I'm currently a space hobo going where ever the smuggling missions take me but I might try setting up a base somewhere or another, get a couple more different ships.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Aramoro posted:

picked up a mission to steal some tea.

That's a pirating mission. You'll need to equip an interdictor and cargo scanner (and maybe hatch breaker and collector limpets), and go around interdicting traders, scanning them, and breaking their cargo hatch open. Pirating missions are really tedious and don't pay well enough, so I'd suggest avoiding them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rectus posted:

That's a pirating mission. You'll need to equip an interdictor and cargo scanner (and maybe hatch breaker and collector limpets), and go around interdicting traders, scanning them, and breaking their cargo hatch open. Pirating missions are really tedious and don't pay well enough, so I'd suggest avoiding them.

Ahh that makes sense, I picked up loads of stolen Cargo at signal sources so I assumed when it wanted stolen Tea that's where I would get it.

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
Was puzzled by all this Sothis chat so I decided to go over there and check it out. Ok 3-4 mill per run is nice but it's 420+ ly for each one. It actually works out less than the current smuggling I'm doing in a system I've found that gives 1-1.7 mil per run for 90 LY. There's quite a few systems handing out these smuggling missions apart from Sothis.
Also don't really worry about being scanned the couple of times I've been scanned it's cost me 40k fine on a trip that netted me 1 mill.. chump change,.

Siggers fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 19, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you're only picking up one mission at a time, you're doing it wrong. Fill up an Asp with a dozen or so missions and you're potentially looking at a 50m+ payday once you drop them all off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Siggers posted:

Was puzzled by all this Sothis chat so I decided to go over there and check it out. Ok 3-4 mill per run is nice but it's 420+ ly for each one. It actually works out less than the current smuggling I'm doing in a system I've found that gives 1-1.7 mil per run for 90 LY. There's quite a few systems handing out these smuggling missions apart from Sothis.
Also don't really worry about being scanned the couple of times I've been scanned it's cost me 40k fine on a trip that netted me 1 mill.. chump change,.

No, you pick up MULTIPLE of those runs. You can make like 20 million in a single run in a cobra.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A lot of smuggling jobs are unavailable to me because I have 'Unfriendly' rep with the Federation. If I could get jobs from Sirius or the Communist faction that would be good but I feel like all the best ones are with Fed Unite.

So what station is best to run out of around Sothis/Ceos in my case?.

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
Yes I know but I pick up multiple runs on the other one so I make 5-6 mil on a 180 LY round trip instead of 20 mill on a 960LY round, it's pretty similar but where I do it I don't need to be out 500LY from the bubble. I'm 70 LY out from the bubble. Either way I'm in Sothis so may as well take a few deliveries on my way back.. cough cough.
Comes to something though when you are totally ignoring the "rare" in station because it's not worth it to carry :-)

Siggers fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Chrysophylax posted:

It's hilarious when you do manage to smack a small ship with them though, as well as with Plasma Accelerators. Last night I was in a combat zone and nailed a 4x cannon barrage on an Imperial Fighter. :shepface:

SynthOrange posted:

I'd enjoy combat more if there were more than 1 type of viable gun.
Unless you definition of viable is "the most optimal and efficient for long-term grinding" most weapons are perfectly viable to use in PvE, even though I really do think there needs to be a way to carry more ammo for weapons. Right now I'm rolling in an Anaconda with beams and cannons and it's fun as hell. Once I get enough money to rebuy a Python I'm going to rock a similar loadout.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Siggers posted:

Comes to something though when you are totally ignoring the "rare" in station because it's not worth it to carry :-)
What's going on with that rare anyway? I've been picking up a couple of tons here and there when I have a little space left over and the amount I can buy is all over the shop. I think it was 180 tons last time I checked but it's been as low as 3 and as high as 400 sometimes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I've just discovered doing Smuggling Missions does not count as smuggling on your stats, where do you get the things to smuggle though? I've only been able to find illegal cargo's floating in space so far and that doesn't seem to be right.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Smuggling delivery missions put the necessary cargo for the mission directly into your hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

So I've just discovered doing Smuggling Missions does not count as smuggling on your stats, where do you get the things to smuggle though? I've only been able to find illegal cargo's floating in space so far and that doesn't seem to be right.

I think only goods sold on the black markets counts towards the smuggling stats.

• Locked thread