Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, another nice bit of characterization for Atra; when Eugene and Norba come to collect Biscuit and the drugged food for the adults, she gets a worried/apprehensive look on her face when she looks at the pots containing the drugged food. I don't think they would have let her in on their plan, but she definitely seemed to realize something was off there.

I thought the canteen scene was the worst part of the episode. In terms of what it seemed to be trying to do, I don't think having a scene that provides a bit of levity is really necessary when an episode is like 22 minutes long and the thrust of the episode was "the current situation at CGS is unpleasant, so the kids are gonna take over by force", and it could've been replaced by another scene like, say, Kudelia walking in on one of the kids having an argument with the engineer guy about whether he's going to side with their little coup or not. Just something a bit more tense? Having the scene be there to establish that BIscuit drugged the food wasn't really necessary because imo you don't really need a setup for the next two moments where biscuit delivers the 1st company food, and then Orga tells them they drugged the food.

Other than that, I get that the other reason for the scene was to have Kudelia be trying to help out and Mika acknowledging that she's doing good in a kinda offhanded way, but I would've appreciated it being done in a way that doesn't involve really boring, one note characters and lovely gender roles of "ladies gotta cook for the men". Like it could've been an opportunity to show the audience that Kudelia has a useful skill, to kinda inform her current little arc of "what am I supposed to do with myself, I feel very out of my depth", and to enlighten us a bit as to how and why exactly she became a figurehead of Independence, and what her role in that movement actually entailed. Instead it's a joke that she didn't ever learn how to cook because she's rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything being grimdark all the time is boring and having a lighter scene brings into a starker relief all the hosed up poo poo that followed it.
Also that scene was cute so who cares.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'm sorry you can't tolerate

Red Bones posted:

lovely gender roles of "ladies gotta cook for the men".

but the scene did a lot of things right for me:

Atra gets more screentime outside of her relationship with Mika, and as mentioned in the post you quoted, she's showing to be pretty sharp in general

Biscuit's sisters are cute and precious. So besides being entertaining, it also keeps in theme with the innocence of children the show is looking at

The scene where the First Corps are getting their food is almost dead silent, and most of them are wearing grim expressions - then they directly contrast this poo poo with the next scene with music kicking back in and the excited mess hall kids, so i'm going to echo the post above me

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything being grimdark all the time is boring and having a lighter scene brings into a starker relief all the hosed up poo poo that followed it.
Also that scene was cute so who cares.

It's food. People have a big relationship with food. Biscuit's conversation with Atra about the value of warm food and Mika's comment about "feeling like you're really eating" are good worldbuilding details about how poo poo their life is, and adds more to the feeling of underlying tension.

I laughed at Kudelia's freakout because it /was/ out of place, but I found it humanizing because it still reinforces the logic of her being a sheltered rich kid while changing it up from her other serious scenes where she's questioning her life choices and kind of brooding

booksnake fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I liked the joke that Kudelia was bad at cutting up food, and it led to that bleak comment from Mika.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also it was a scene where everyone was doing what they can to help out, no matter how little. The show clearly isn't saying that a woman's only place is in the kitchen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It even ends with Kudelia deciding she's going to fight on the political front. I mean, it's Gundam, so it might still end up with a problematic treatment of women, but right now Kudelia volunteered to help and Atra, Cookie and Cracker are all a) clearly younger than most of the cast, b) non-combatants and c) specifically work with food, so their helping out by cooking for the CGS boys isn't exactly a stretch.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 19, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Also it was a scene where everyone was doing what they can to help out, no matter how little. The show clearly isn't saying that a woman's only place is in the kitchen.

She wanted to do something helpful, and I doubt she has the skillset necessary to repair a Mobile Worker or the Gundam. Besides she was helping Biscuit cook, it wasnt like they told her to start making dinner.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She wanted to do something helpful, and I doubt she has the skillset necessary to repair a Mobile Worker or the Gundam. Besides she was helping Biscuit cook, it wasnt like they told her to start making dinner.

Yah they straight up say that she volunteered to help when they started cooking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't worry guys, I'm sure she'll start crying every episode from now on.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Now that the boys are running the operation, I want a scene where everybody goes into town and has a proper meal for once.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure she'll start crying every episode from now on.

That just reminds me of the crying = rape analogy, lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm not going to say the show is super sexist or anything, but it's still weird how the armies of the future are apparently back to being only dudes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not going to say the show is super sexist or anything, but it's still weird how the armies of the future are apparently back to being only dudes.

While I think it would be kinda lame if there were no women combatants later on, this show is clearly appealing to the fujoshi crowd. It's hardly surprising most of the cast is male.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

While I think it would be kinda lame if there were no women combatants later on, this show is clearly appealing to the fujoshi crowd. It's hardly surprising most of the cast is male.

I get that. Like I said, I'm not actually complaining or anything. It just keeps weirding me out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

That just reminds me of the crying = rape analogy, lol

What's this referring to? :catstare:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

What's this referring to? :catstare:

A guy got super weird in the G-reco thread.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Red Bones posted:

I thought the canteen scene was the worst part of the episode. In terms of what it seemed to be trying to do, I don't think having a scene that provides a bit of levity is really necessary when an episode is like 22 minutes long and the thrust of the episode was "the current situation at CGS is unpleasant, so the kids are gonna take over by force", and it could've been replaced by another scene like, say, Kudelia walking in on one of the kids having an argument with the engineer guy about whether he's going to side with their little coup or not. Just something a bit more tense? Having the scene be there to establish that BIscuit drugged the food wasn't really necessary because imo you don't really need a setup for the next two moments where biscuit delivers the 1st company food, and then Orga tells them they drugged the food.

Other than that, I get that the other reason for the scene was to have Kudelia be trying to help out and Mika acknowledging that she's doing good in a kinda offhanded way, but I would've appreciated it being done in a way that doesn't involve really boring, one note characters and lovely gender roles of "ladies gotta cook for the men". Like it could've been an opportunity to show the audience that Kudelia has a useful skill, to kinda inform her current little arc of "what am I supposed to do with myself, I feel very out of my depth", and to enlighten us a bit as to how and why exactly she became a figurehead of Independence, and what her role in that movement actually entailed. Instead it's a joke that she didn't ever learn how to cook because she's rich.

There's other scenes that happened before and after the cooking scene, which, when watched in order, create a story. Kudelia is a big important politician. She actually sees first hand how hosed up poo poo is and loses faith in herself doing something important as a politician. During the attack she wants to help in the garage or hangar bay or whaetver, and can't cause she doesn't know poo poo about fixing tanks. After the attack she wants to help in the kitchen but can't because she doesn't know how to cook. During the duel she wants to have the brain surgery so she can pilot a robot, and Orga points out how dangerous and dumb that is. After all that she decides that what she can do is work as a politician.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anyone (Sharky?) know if the GReco OLs are picking up this show too?
Or how the female demographic is reacting in general over in Japan.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you know, the innocence of children thing always bothers me because basically every child i have ever known, including myself, were enormous selfish assholes who resort to violence for literally every problem they have and sometimes even don't have

is something different in japan that makes them not completely intolerable to even be around?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

you know, the innocence of children thing always bothers me because basically every child i have ever known, including myself, were enormous selfish assholes who resort to violence for literally every problem they have and sometimes even don't have

This is the exact point of the show and why Child Soldiers are considered to be dangerous (as well as, you know, an awful thing). They'll charge in without fear because they've got that innate sense of invincibility and even if/when they get cut down, chances are they've taken a few of your guys with them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, soldiers are psychology more hesitant to shoot down children.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gundam: Beasts of No Nation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Do you actually not understand what is meant by the innocence of children in the context of a show about child soldiers

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

If they wanted to be more true to life, all the kids should be hopped up on drugs that they're enticed with to fight for.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

is something different in japan that makes them not completely intolerable to even be around?

Children being innocent is a characteristic common in western works as well. Also it does not refer to them being selfless kind angels because that is not what innocent means.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i absolutely loved the part when Mika flipped it on the princess' head saying "dont look down on my comrades" when she was crying about how she got everyone killed.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Show is good and Mika is neat.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Wow. You really hate kids. I feel bad for you.

Actually, I wanted to brutally murder Umbridge from Harry Potter 5 so maybe I don't. I don't know.

I won't deny that kids can be incredibly bipolar and occasionally insufferable, but most of that is part of their childish innocence. I have known a few bad apples that are legitimately hosed in the head, but at that age they're so malleable that even the worst of them can be turned around. Childish innocence in in this show is a symbolic version of it, not the real thing. Fictional narratives rarely use the real thing to thematically represent the real thing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kitbash Gundam is the coolest thing, god drat.

Edit: I'm wondering if IBO has killed its Ramba Ral early.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 20, 2015

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Mobile Suit Gundam: No Country For Ramba Rals

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Green Intern posted:

Kitbash Gundam is the coolest thing, god drat.

There's still the cool guy with the wife in the OP.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I was afraid this series was going to be another waste but after watching Mikazuki shoot those prisoners I'm a million times more interested. Cold rear end motherfucker.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

He gor nothing on Marshal Hidler from iirc Getter Robo.

He's got nothing on card-game Hitler from Arc-V.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gundam: Beasts of No Nation.

theres no way this is as good as beasts of no nation

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

theres no way this is as good as beasts of no nation

Planning on watching that tomorrow, so I guess I'll see.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Planning on watching that tomorrow, so I guess I'll see.

if the show actually touches the problems of reintegration for child soldiers ill watch it, but only if it does that

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

About 45 minutes into Beasts of No Nation at the moment myself. The movie owns.

Sharkopath posted:

if the show actually touches the problems of reintegration for child soldiers ill watch it, but only if it does that
It's not looking like it will any time soon, if at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

About 45 minutes into Beasts of No Nation at the moment myself. The movie owns.

It's not looking like it will any time soon, if at all.

The directing is so drat sharp and I love fukunaga's use of incredibly saturated colors for a bunch of scenes, dudes probably the director to watch the most right now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, he's a great up and comer. I really liked what he did in True Detective Season 1- gonna have to check out his other movies at some point.

I mean his work is quite good now- imagine what he'll be accomplishing with 15, 20 years of experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Green Intern posted:

It seems pretty hell-bent on kicking out Gundam clichés, so I'd love it if that were the case. Either of the Inspectors is probably going to end up being "honourable" (albeit with a hosed up sense of honour), though.

Alternatively, it'd be hilarious if most of the adults in IBO are just horrified at fighting children and end up fighting them with kid gloves on for the entire show. :v:

Xoidanor posted:

He's got nothing on card-game Hitler from Arc-V.

This is basically the same character. :stare:

• Locked thread