Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I think it's more common for Democrats to cross over to Republican than Republican to Democrat.

It was until all the conservative dems lost in 2010. Now they're fairly well unified under the iron yoke of Pelosi. I doubt that the republicans will pull any dems over unless they make a deal with the party leadership as a whole. Which they don't actually want, they're probably looking for a way to blame the oncoming shutdown/default in the dems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

On Terra Firma posted:

Gee well it's a good thing someone has a list of names or something in order to discriminate between them.

Or people could not openly joke about murder maybe

i mean, he did just discriminate, maybe you should not get so wound up at deliberately hyperbolic remarks made for the sake of a joke

i am however advocating eating the rich

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

sullat posted:

It was until all the conservative dems lost in 2010. Now they're fairly well unified under the iron yoke of Pelosi. I doubt that the republicans will pull any dems over unless they make a deal with the party leadership as a whole. Which they don't actually want, they're probably looking for a way to blame the oncoming shutdown/default in the dems.

Shutdown is Nov. 5th? Next Republican Debate is Oct. 28 then the following is Nov. 10th so that would be the one after the shutdown. That will be interesting to watch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hollismason posted:

Shutdown is Nov. 5th? Next Republican Debate is Oct. 28 then the following is Nov. 10th so that would be the one after the shutdown. That will be interesting to watch.

huh. i thought the next shutdown date was near christmas?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

huh. i thought the next shutdown date was near christmas?

Next shutdown is around Christmas, we hit the debt ceiling on ~November 3rd.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Next shutdown is around Christmas, we hit the debt ceiling on ~November 3rd.

Right got dates confused. If we haven't raised the Debt Ceiling by Oct. 28th then I dunno wtf.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

On Terra Firma posted:

I have some relatives who are very well off and while they do cut donation checks, they also spend a shitload of time volunteering for various organizations throughout the year because they're retired. Just seems a little dumb to say "kill all rich people" when those people aren't taken into account.

Sacrifices must be made.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Republicans are so desperate at leadership they are willing to resort to black magics in order to raise this man from the dead

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Republicans are so desperate at leadership they are willing to resort to black magics in order to raise this man from the dead

If you're going to necromacy, then necromancy:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hrmm the original Sovereign Citizen

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sherman's March to the Sea was actually a search for Calhoun's phylactery.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MC Nietzche posted:

BREAKING NEWS: 30 Republicans break ranks and join democratic party, Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House once again. Her first act is to tie Boehner to the presiding officer's chair and break his legs with the Speaker's gavel forcing him to gaze forever upon what he had wrought.

The Húrin Protocol, eh? I don't know why no one has proposed this before.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
WaPo has an article about another way we nickel and dime prisoners: effectively forcing them to become indebted by child support payments.

Obama plans to roll back the provision classifying prisoners as voluntarily impoverished and this subject to full child support payments while in prison.

You will be unsurprised to learn that Congressional Republicans oppose this.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
They always get Orrin Hatch in for some lovely rear end quote.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is that some kind of wispy neck beard or did he comb his chest hair up to his collar?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CNN/ORC release its first poll since the Democratic debate. Though most viewers agreed that Clinton won, her favorability and total support remained within the margin of error. Sanders, by contrast, grew his favorability by six percent and his overall support by five percent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

QuoProQuid posted:

CNN/ORC release its first poll since the Democratic debate. Though most viewers agreed that Clinton won, her favorability and total support remained within the margin of error. Sanders, by contrast, grew his favorability by six percent and his overall support by five percent.

I wish they'd done cross tabs of people who watched the debate vs those who just watched news stories about it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Bernie definitely has a lot to gain from the debates. Even many people who prefer Clinton will likely walk away thinking very favorably of him.

Also, cannibalism is a terrible idea but still eat the rich :getin:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hodgepodge posted:

Bernie definitely has a lot to gain from the debates. Even many people who prefer Clinton will likely walk away thinking very favorably of him.

Also, cannibalism is a terrible idea but still eat the rich :getin:

It is probably ideal to differentiate between favorability and voter preference. While Bernie increased his favorability, a good portion of that is probably from Clinton supporters over his email comment who have no interest in defection.

As the media coverage reflected in the run-up to the debate, Clinton needs to make some major miscalculation or error to drain her support before Sanders seems viable. A strong debate performance itself is not enough to win him the nomination.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Gee well it's a good thing someone has a list of names or something in order to discriminate between them.

Or people could not openly joke about murder maybe

Nobody cares about the feelings of your well off relatives.

Also I'm guessing the wealthy people crying about mean people and how unfulfilling their lives are probably aren't doing a ton to make the world a better place. I doubt Bill Gates ever feels sad about being wealthy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

WaPo has an article about another way we nickel and dime prisoners: effectively forcing them to become indebted by child support payments.

Obama plans to roll back the provision classifying prisoners as voluntarily impoverished and this subject to full child support payments while in prison.

You will be unsurprised to learn that Congressional Republicans oppose this.

The key thing for this is to remember that the money does not go to the child usually in cases like this. Basically this is just another way to keep black men in prison forever.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We don't have a racism problem guys and it's all made up by the left

quote:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (October 18, 2015) – Bloomington Police arrested an Indiana University student on several charges after he allegedly attacked a Muslim woman. Witnesses say the assault was racially-motivated.

Police were called to the Sofra Café in the 300 block of South Walnut Street Saturday evening around 7:35 p.m. on a report of an assault.

According to Bloomington Police, a Muslim woman was sitting at the café with her 9-year-old daughter when a man began shouting derogatory phrases and ethnic slurs at the woman.

The man, later identified as Triceten Bickford, 19, allegedly shouted “white power” and “kill them all.”

Bickford then grabbed the woman by her neck and slammed her head into the table. He then attempted to remove the woman’s headscarf.

The woman’s husband saw what was going on and he rushed to her aid along with another man.

They successfully pinned Bickford to the ground and waited for police to arrive. While they were waiting, Bickford spit into the men’s faces and continued making threats.

When police took Bickford into custody and placed him into the patrol car, he kicked at the windows.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The home county of Andrew Johnson (yes that one) is voting tonight to fly the Confederate flag above its courthouse: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/us/rebel-flag-tennessee-county/index.html

The timing seems about right.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

How loving terrifying for that woman. Also terrifying that this probably appeared to be a normal person and would have continued to be perceived as a normal person if he didn't snap, while the woman was probably getting side eye from everyone up until she got attacked.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Looks like another case of Sudden Fear of Jihad Syndrome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Well, you see, if the Gun Thread taught me anything, its that the Left is the real racists for talking about gun control. :allears:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

What the heck happened to Joementum, anyway? His posts were all that redeemed these threads in our greatest times of darkness.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

what the hell is wrong with him, other then being a bigoted crazy rear end in a top hat.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Maarek posted:

What the heck happened to Joementum, anyway? His posts were all that redeemed these threads in our greatest times of darkness.

He realized that Vermont is awesome in the fall and the forums suck.

He made some posts in the Democratic debate thread.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm pleasantly surprised that the police didn't also arrest the husband.

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised that the police didn't also arrest the husband.

This is Bloomington Indiana, probably one of the only areas of Indiana where that might actually never happen in a scenario like this. Pretty nice place to live, just don't wander more than 20 miles from town in any direction.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Well you see he had a genuine fear for his life in the face of what he believed to be the imminent threat of the woman blowing herself up" said the prosecutor. "Given those circumstances it was a good headslam" he added.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

It can't be racism she was targeted due to her religion. :smug:

GF and I were actually stalked and yelled at for just this kind of poo poo last week. Didn't escalate beyond that luckily.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

"Well you see he had a genuine fear for his life in the face of what he believed to be the imminent threat of the woman blowing herself up" said the prosecutor. "Given those circumstances it was a good headslam" he added.

He wasn't a cop so he doesn't get the Grand Jury Special.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

InflateableFerret posted:

This is Bloomington Indiana, probably one of the only areas of Indiana where that might actually never happen in a scenario like this. Pretty nice place to live, just don't wander more than 20 miles from town in any direction.

Yup. Don't stop for gas in Martinsville.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the hell is wrong with him, other then being a bigoted crazy rear end in a top hat.

The article continues that he had a BAC of .193.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The home county of Andrew Johnson (yes that one) is voting tonight to fly the Confederate flag above its courthouse: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/us/rebel-flag-tennessee-county/index.html

The timing seems about right.

I'm related to Andrew Johnson. :doh:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

What kind of name is Triceten

Death to white people

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

I'm related to Andrew Johnson. :doh:

The only time when creating the Grandfather Paradox should be a moral imperative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The article continues that he had a BAC of .193.

that explains it.

• Locked thread