Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only person in manga with "stretchy" powers that I can recall is Luffy, and he would indeed make a terrible boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I haven't read Fantastic Four in years, or anything more recent than my dad's old comics from the 60s, but when or how did Reed Richards turn into a scumbag?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

I haven't read Fantastic Four in years, or anything more recent than my dad's old comics from the 60s, but when or how did Reed Richards turn into a scumbag?

He's not really a scumbag, he just makes really poor judgement calls from time to time, at least from what I recall. I haven't read the most recent series though where he hid a secret from his family and that obviously makes them upset with him. Every alternate universe version of him is always an rear end in a top hat though, so that just tells you how close Richard Reed-Prime is from going over the line.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

wasn't ultimate reed, like, the rear end in a top hat or something? the ur-rear end in a top hat. the omega rear end in a top hat supreme.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Reed invented math that said that, unless he rounded up every superhero who didn't want their name public and put them in a jail in another dimension in the moon where they'd spend the rest of their lives in a six foot by six foot cell, there would be terrible social consequences.

Because he's so goddamn smart, there are no computers advanced enough or anyone else smart enough to double check his work. This thought process is functionally indistinguishable from listening to the moon mice who control the FBI.

As part of this plan, Reed arrested Daredevil, a blind man with the power to not be blind, for stopping a mugging, and sent him to life imprisonment in another dimension without trial or parole.

As part of this program, when the sixth smartest man on the planet refused to help capture all the super heroes who had saved the planet roughly eleven million times, Reed sent the army to murder that guy with rocket launchers. The sixth smartest man on the planet, incidentally, was a teenager with no legal or moral obligation to help arrest Captain America.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Reed invented math that said that, unless he rounded up every superhero who didn't want their name public and put them in a jail in another dimension in the moon where they'd spend the rest of their lives in a six foot by six foot cell, there would be terrible social consequences.

So why didn't he just round [the number] up? ...oh wait, I read that sentence wrong.

Anyways, Civil War was a bit of a clusterfuck all around. Though my favorite bit was where Reed brought The Mad Thinker in to check his math, and he says something along the lines of, "Reed, you're book smart as hell, but you sure as loving hell don't have any goddamn common sense."

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 19, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Really really really poor judgement calls.

Civil War really was a terrible event all around though and derailed a lot of characters involved.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Reed Richards has always been a bit of a dick, hell Namor of all arrogant fuckholes is his romantic rival, that's how bad he is. For a large part of recent comic runs he's been an out of touch smartest dude in the room who fucks things up because he forgot a lurking variable here or there when doing calculations.

Yes Civil War really gave his character that extra rear end in a top hat. However, that extra rear end in a top hat push was on the backs of a murderous cyborg Thor clone, previously mentioned prison also being in a dimension that would slowly drive you crazy, and perhaps the biggest shut in non-social guy in the MU deciding he totally understood sociology and how people would react because it's just math, right?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Jintor posted:

wasn't ultimate reed, like, the rear end in a top hat or something? the ur-rear end in a top hat. the omega rear end in a top hat supreme.

I remember reading something about him ending up turning into a horrible villain but I haven't read comics for a while and I have no idea what it was he actually did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the first Fantastic Four stories had Reed miniaturize an entire alien species so they would fit in their one spaceship and escape their doomed planet. He lied to them that they would grow back to normal when they reached their new planet. They would stay small forever.

Pretty much all of his early adventures had him being a giant dick.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reed Richards put his family and friend in serious danger because he really wanted to beat the commies. He was an rear end in a top hat from day one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You can just type "Reed Richards Is A Dick" into GIS and get a plethora of examples of the smartest rear end in a top hat sexist in the universe.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I always wonder with that old stuff if that was the character being presented as an rear end in a top hat or a projection of the writer's sincere beliefs. It's kind of hard to tell sometimes since they are "heroic figures." Like how Tony Stark originally made incredibly effective weapons of mass destruction which was a good thing at the time.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the first Fantastic Four stories had Reed miniaturize an entire alien species so they would fit in their one spaceship and escape their doomed planet. He lied to them that they would grow back to normal when they reached their new planet. They would stay small forever.

Pretty much all of his early adventures had him being a giant dick.

I mean that's true for everybody back in their original runs right? Supes was a dick. Bats was a dick. I bet even Spidey was a dick.

And by original runs i just mean 'before history begun', i.e. the arbitrary boundary line where i decided comics were real

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jintor posted:

I mean that's true for everybody back in their original runs right? Supes was a dick. Bats was a dick. I bet even Spidey was a dick.

Supes was loving great, he'd punch slumlords and throw them in prison for being terrible human beings. Working class hero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Todoroki creates and controls fire and ice as an extension of himself, but not remotely. He can't just create a sheet or slide of ice on the ground if he's not touching it.

If he tried to use ice he'd freeze himself and the scarf in place. If he tried to use fire, he'd burn the scarf and fall onto the caltrops. If he tried to shield himself in ice after he started falling he'd probably crack a few bones on the landing.

Aizawa got him cold.

Still not sure why he couldn't just create bunch of ice out of his feet/legs until the ice reached the ground. The mount of ice doesn't have to start on the ground, it can start from his feet.

Or does he have to use his arm (forget which side is ice)? If that's the case then yeah, you're probably right.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ytlaya posted:

Still not sure why he couldn't just create bunch of ice out of his feet/legs until the ice reached the ground. The mount of ice doesn't have to start on the ground, it can start from his feet.

Or does he have to use his arm (forget which side is ice)? If that's the case then yeah, you're probably right.

He has to use his arms/hands to direct the movement, yeah.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Supes was loving great, he'd punch slumlords and throw them in prison for being terrible human beings. Working class hero.

Yeah, but then he'd go and do something stupid as balls to Jimmy Olson, or Lois, or Perry, or the World.

Superdickery, always superdicking

Monathin posted:

He has to use his arms/hands to direct the movement, yeah.

wait

*narrows eyes*

is he bending

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jintor posted:

Yeah, but then he'd go and do something stupid as balls to Jimmy Olson, or Lois, or Perry, or the World.

Superdickery, always superdicking

That's years later, during the Silver Age, though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jintor posted:

wait

*narrows eyes*

is he bending

There's more than one reason Todoroki gets his fair share of Zuko comparisons. :v:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's not really bending beacuse he's not using a mystical martial art to summon it. It emanates from his hands, but once it's out it doesn't matter.

That also seems to be more of a limit based on his inexperience then his actual quirk; Endeavour doesn't seem to have any sort of limitation like that, so it seems likely he'll eventually grow past it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
News: The production company TOHO recently registered the domain HeroAca.com, raising the possibility that a Hero Academy anime might be in the works.

Views:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wait does that indicate a studio?

Because if it's Toei or Pierrot :smithicide:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
While I do want a Hero Academia anime, I'm not sure if I want it this soon. I'd rather there be a large buffer of chapters to prevent what happened to... pretty much every shounen anime besides HxH and I guess YYH (which I only read, never watched the anime). Naruto was infamous for being littered with filler, One Piece stretches things out which I feel ruins the point that OP is trying to make out times (most notably ruining the message about Hody's motivation), and Bleach was... well, Bleach. Beelzebub had to go with an original ending, Eyeshield just sorta ended halfway through.

The only major shounen manga-to-anime adaptations that I enjoyed were HxH 2011 and FMA: Brotherhood, and both of them were second iterations.

Even if the Hero Academia anime comes out a year from now, I'm not sure how good it would be.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As long as they take a seasonal approach it'll work out. Shokugeki no Souma did this and it was fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As did 7 Deadly Sins.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toho has registered HeroAca.com.

When this has happened before, it means an anime adaptation is not far behind. I personally think it might be too soon for one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fast pacing works in My Hero Academia's favor on this. Just have Horikoshi help fill in the blanks on all of the stuff happening with the other students in like 90% of the arcs and you have legitimately good, canon filler. I'd want to see the full tournament, more of the other kids work experience, and maybe the battle trial. Absolutely enough to fill a good season or two.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I super don't want an anime this soon unless they go the seasonal route.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They would be almost guaranteed to go the seasonal route. They don't really do constantly-long-running anime anymore.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Waffleman_ posted:

When this has happened before, it means an anime adaptation is not far behind. I personally think it might be too soon for one.

TOO SLOW, MY BOY

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

They would be almost guaranteed to go the seasonal route. They don't really do constantly-long-running anime anymore.

Poor overlooked World Trigger.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

Pfft, some aspirant to the Ingenium name you are. You're late.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though thinking about it and checking up on it, it's basically Toei and Pierrot who basically want to keep shows in timeslots indefinitely. Other studios are more inclined or have to have the season split if they get a big shonen anime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe the Naruto comparisons are just messing with me then, because my first instinct when I heard this announcement is "Oh god no I can't handle Naruto/Bleach filler or One Piece pacing for this series, don't do this"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If it's as good as Soma or the Sports anime (Haikyu, Kuroko, Owamushi) then I am all kinds of hype. If it's like World Trigger or Toriko... Well, we'll have to wait and see.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I legitimately hope they show us all the other students doing stuff, that would be the best filler. They could do an arc that was just Tokoyami's home life if they wanted to, I will watch it all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I also feel like this may be a bit too soon, but I crunched some numbers just for the fun of it and estimate they'd have around 30-40 episodes worth of material thus far so, yeah, seasonal is definitely the way they're gonna wanna do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Seasonal will probably help with preventing QUALITY moments too.

Also spoilers: Yeesh it looks like All Might wasn't making GBS threads about going all out; he really fucks up Midoriya and Bakugou.

Edit: I guess another part of the announcement is a spin off? Wow, already?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 22, 2015