Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yeah, I think figuring all of that out would come naturally after a few more hours but it's definitely harder than in any other game of this type. It's also pretty hard to tell your teammates apart from rats when it gets crowded as well. I'm betting they do something about those problems though with some kind of outline system.

I really want to like this game. It's exactly the type of game I've been looking for for a while. Like I said earlier, though, I'm pretty sure a lot of the problems I have with it will be fixed or changed in the future so I haven't given up on it.

As much as I enjoy the game for know, I agree with most of this. The elf and dwarf look are rat-sized. The elf specially is confusing with her fur cape thing and hunched posture.

And the Assassin can charge from any direction, even from below. Had a horn run yesterday where we were fighting a horde on the first stairs of the stage (out of the docks and leading towards the guard tower). There was an Assassin way, way down us in the area at the feet of the wooden ladder, who decided to hulk out, jump ten meters into the air and snatch one of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Fat Samurai posted:

As much as I enjoy the game for know, I agree with most of this. The elf and dwarf look are exactly the size of a rat.

Outlines Always On really should be the default setting, I kept shooting the elf for wearing fur until I turned that setting on.

Think this game will ever have a Versus mode? I want to be the Hookrat that ruins everyone's day badly. That or a play controlled Gatling Gunner :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fans posted:

Think this game will ever have a Versus mode? I want to be the Hookrat that ruins everyone's day badly. That or a play controlled Gatling Gunner :getin:
I just want this to be first person mode Mordheim.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Mr Scumbag posted:

Getting virtually nothing for failing a map (even if you get right to the end) is really lovely, especially given how long it can take to complete a mission. That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the game, it really doesn't respect your time and can be really demoralising. It also doesn't explain anything very well and much of the time it's difficult to know what's even going on because there's so much poo poo on the screen. Getting hosed over by a special rat feels cheap a lot of the time since there doesn't seem to be any way to reliable detect them in the middle of a hoard.

The game just came out and everybody sucks. Nobody realizes that if you don't keep up speed, you'll be overloaded with swarms and more specials. I've also never been in a pub match where people properly positioned themselves, except to cheese the final part of horn of magnus. Seriously, chokepoints are your friends, and hallways are sent from heaven

The characters callout anytime there's a special remotely close, and if you listen, you'll hear them even earlier from their very signature sounds, as well as the direction they're coming from. The biggest threat besides the rat ogre is probably swarms (for a group that can use the ping key), because there's always those two fodder rats that jumped off the roof behind you and whack you

I completed nightmare yesterday with 3 tome, 2 grimoires, and 2 loot dice. 1 hit from a special or 3 hits from a normal rat and you're on the floor. Dice rolled, and I got a green 1h mace. Tried cataclysm but the swarms were much, MUCH bigger and you can't one shot regular vermins anymore, even with a 2h orange hammer. "Fight in the corner" no longer works as well because the swarms are aggressive as balls, and they seem to attack faster. One shield guy definitely required, as well as some shotties. Headshots still work on specials however, meaning someone's gotta have a good crossbow/handgun/longbow and be able to aim. If you have issues with normal/hard, don't even touch nightmare/cataclysm

Longshot007 posted:

Excuse me, hook rats are drat near impossible to detect in a swarm.

listen for the dull bell jingle, but they're definitely the hardest to detect with all the rahhhhhh's from the swarm

Fat Samurai posted:

As much as I enjoy the game for know, I agree with most of this. The elf and dwarf look are rat-sized. The elf specially is confusing with her fur cape thing and hunched posture.

And the Assassin can charge from any direction, even from below. Had a horn run yesterday where we were fighting a horde on the first stairs of the stage (out of the docks and leading towards the guard tower). There was an Assassin way, way down us in the area at the feet of the wooden ladder, who decided to hulk out, jump ten meters into the air and snatch one of us.

Outlines + Gamma up. The base gamma is pretty low for me and I'd whack the elf on occasion until I turned it up a little

lewtt fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Kirs posted:

Actually I don't think much will change after release.

Why not? We're still in beta for the next week. This isn't just early-access funtimes, they are treating this as an open beta and will be adjusting and responding to feedback. If people have complaints, they should take them to Fatshark.

Betas are not demos, they are betas. Your contributions and feedback (take the beta survey, for one) help change the game for the better. Developers live a lot of their time in isolation and can end up not seeing the wood for the trees. If the players are too difficult to see in the melee (I think there is validity here), then tell them about it. They can extend the outlining system or make some other UI changes. If you look back to previous beta footage, you'll see many UI changes they made, showing they reacted well to user feedback. Likewise comments about no rewards for failure are equally valid, and can be adjusted. But this system could be open to abuse if the rewards are too good, so feedback and iterations are important to balance it right.

This is a beta, not a demo - you have paid to have a voice in the development of this game. People should use theirs to make the game better for everyone.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

I wish I could beat hard. Maybe it's the pubies I randomly party with, maybe I just suck; it will be a mystery for now.

Join the steam group and hang around in chat. Let people know you're LFG and someone will probably eventually hit you up. All of the goon groups I've been in have at least had a bare minimum of competence.

A quicker and more reliable way is to join the CTS mumble. Look for any groups with 2-3 people and hop in to see if they'd like another. Otherwise hang out in the LFG channel and one of the other groups will assuredly want to grab you as soon as someone needs to leave.

Should probably do both at the same time though, if only because being in the steam chat makes it a million times easier to actually enter the groups you get through mumble (just right click on the name of somebody in the group and hit join game). But I definitely recommend giving it a shot because actually getting poo poo done in a semi-organized fashion and picking up a steady influx of good loot makes this game way more fun than loving around getting frustrated with silent pubbies who all hate each other because every one of them wanted to play the Elf.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Plavski posted:

Why not? We're still in beta for the next week. This isn't just early-access funtimes, they are treating this as an open beta and will be adjusting and responding to feedback. If people have complaints, they should take them to Fatshark.

Betas are not demos, they are betas. Your contributions and feedback (take the beta survey, for one) help change the game for the better. Developers live a lot of their time in isolation and can end up not seeing the wood for the trees. If the players are too difficult to see in the melee (I think there is validity here), then tell them about it. They can extend the outlining system or make some other UI changes. If you look back to previous beta footage, you'll see many UI changes they made, showing they reacted well to user feedback. Likewise comments about no rewards for failure are equally valid, and can be adjusted. But this system could be open to abuse if the rewards are too good, so feedback and iterations are important to balance it right.

This is a beta, not a demo - you have paid to have a voice in the development of this game. People should use theirs to make the game better for everyone.

I were not complaining. I just tell that in most of companies it takes month(s) to fix something not critical to gameplay. However, this company can be different, or not. We will see.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I queued for sewers and got thrown into supply and demand somehow, seriously who the hell would do that one voluntarily it takes ages and you get two chances at rat ogres.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

E: gently caress my lovely internet forever.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

how me a frog posted:

I queued for sewers and got thrown into supply and demand somehow, seriously who the hell would do that one voluntarily it takes ages and you get two chances at rat ogres.

Supply and Demand has Tomes and Grimoires, so you can get better loot rolls from it.

I don't like doing it with pubbies though because they cannot for the life of them do the end part.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Fans posted:

Supply and Demand has Tomes and Grimoires, so you can get better loot rolls from it.

I don't like doing it with pubbies though because they cannot for the life of them do the end part.

I find tomes are often the direct cause for one idiot being stabbed to death halfway across the map (and their effect is not even that great), while grimoires are way too punishing. Usually what happens is I get to the end crippled by two grimoires being carried and then we wipe.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

how me a frog posted:

I find tomes are often the direct cause for one idiot being stabbed to death halfway across the map (and their effect is not even that great), while grimoires are way too punishing. Usually what happens is I get to the end crippled by two grimoires being carried and then we wipe.

While Grimoires will get a pubby group killed (And a premade too if they're unlucky) Tomes really shouldn't be getting you all murdered and double your chance of a success on a dice (1/3 to 2/3)

If you want the higher tiers of loot drops you're going to need tomes or a lot of luck.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Fans posted:

While Grimoires will get a pubby group killed (And a premade too if they're unlucky) Tomes really shouldn't be getting you all murdered and double your chance of a success on a dice (1/3 to 2/3)

If you want the higher tiers of loot drops you're going to need tomes or a lot of luck.

It's mostly not the grims that get you wiped in hard+, its the combos of specials that get you which can have some hilarious effects. Example, Getting a packmaster phase through a closed door and drag you into an incomming stormvermin patrol and wipe. just as we're about to enter the tower on horn.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Is there versus? Please tell me that there is versus.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

gromdul posted:

There is not Versus :(

They've put out a new video explaining the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3arT8OWAY

The announcer sounds familiar but I can't place why. Do they voice one of the characters in the game?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I enjoy the fact that this game is difficult. Getting cocky even on Normal with a full group in Mumble means your run will come to an early end via double assassin/hooker combo.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Are there any Europeans playing this? I love it so far, but it seems like it'd be much more fun with a coordinated group and the different time zones are a bit of an issue.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Badly Jester posted:

Are there any Europeans playing this? I love it so far, but it seems like it'd be much more fun with a coordinated group and the different time zones are a bit of an issue.

I've noticed theres a fair few euros playing this, Myself included.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm a Euro too and there were eight Goon groups going at Euro time yesterday so I think you'll be fine.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks, that's good news. You guys using the CTS mumble as well or is there a different server (like KBM)?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
We're on the CTS server and you'll need to join the Goonintide Steam Group and open the Chat Client for that group so we can invite you to a game.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Euro here as well, will look to get on the steam group soon, I can't stand working with pubbies any more.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

gromdul posted:

I think they said that they want to do versus, but there wasn't the resources to put it in at the beginning. I think it will come later as free DLC. Or maybe, Valve-style, we'll see Vermintide 2 in 6 months.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Azerban posted:

I enjoy the fact that this game is difficult. Getting cocky even on Normal with a full group in Mumble means your run will come to an early end via double assassin/hooker combo.

That's exactly what I enjoy and occasionally really hate. When I first jumped in with my friend we were shocked that we were getting stomped on normal and had to suck it up and play a few games on easy even though we both have a lot of experience with coop horde games. Once you get the mechanics of the melee system down though it gets really good.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Here I was thinking I was terrible at dodging. Turns out dodging is only super difficult to do consistently when the person hosting is halfway across the world, which is what I've been dealing with almost exclusively up to this point.

Also I just wanna say that it is loving impossible to join a pub game as the waywatcher. There weren't any goon groups going at the weird hours I was on earlier, so I figured I'd join some random groups to upgrade that character's gear a bit, since I had nothing but lovely whites on her (and a blue version of the awful poison bow). Maybe I'd even end up liking the class with a nice +ammo capacity longbow and some decent swords! I ended up having to play with bots because there are absolutely no games where she isn't already taken, ever. Waiting it out just caused the system to give up and cycle between several lobbies where she wasn't available.

On the flip side, waywatcher might be the least played class I've seen among goons. The most popular definitely seems to be the dwarf. Good taste, friends.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Turns out witch hunter not the most popular character. :bigtran:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kirs posted:

Turns out witch hunter not the most popular character. :bigtran:

I can't hear them over the MASSIVE BRACE OF ENDLESS PISTOLS I AM FIRING AND DROPPING!

Badly Jester posted:

Funny accented white guy from the old world here, you should get a lot of my kind as we Brits love our Warhams.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Honestly it's a shame that the elf has already picked up a bad rap thanks to every scrub picking her up right away because she is really drat good when you know how to play her. What popular thing can I blame her popularity on? Hipsters?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Bright Wizard is by far the least popular among pubbies and I am fine with this because a good Bright Wizard can carry hard.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

rezatahs posted:

Honestly it's a shame that the elf has already picked up a bad rap thanks to every scrub picking her up right away because she is really drat good when you know how to play her. What popular thing can I blame her popularity on? Hipsters?

MLG Pro Snypa 420weedlord boner hitlers

Fans posted:

The Bright Wizard is by far the least popular among pubbies and I am fine with this because a good Bright Wizard can carry hard.

God they are so good at area control and single targeted damage.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Drythe posted:

God they are so good at area control and single targeted damage.

Really the bright wizard's only drawback is the incredibly slow heat drain that you get above 25%. Yeah she can really burst it out if she has to but you better take a breather and an ice pack afterwards if you don't want to walk into the next battle on fire. Versus someone like the witch hunter, who has limited ammo but can burst fire continuously without consequence but will run out ammo.

Unless you are next to an ammo box, in which case call me Machine Gun Larry :getin:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Learn how to use your sword and stop relying on the staff also helps. If you play beam wizard you are forced to learn your sword.

That, along with learning how to abuse not exploding means you can burst a lot with the shotgun then be steady bursts afterwards and never explode.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I really like the spear staff + flaming sword combo, I can snipe out enemy Specials and am good at sweeping through crowds in the mean time.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want a god drat flaming sword.

The beam is really good at sniping specials since it stuns them when you hit them.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Also holy poo poo, strength potions increase all damage, even bombs apparently. It also gives your attacks armor pen.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

I want a god drat flaming sword.

The beam is really good at sniping specials since it stuns them when you hit them.

I like the spear cause a charged spear penetrates targets so you can always take out a special even if other rats are in the way, haven't gotten a beam yet

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
How are the bots in this game? Or the game in general? The vids look great, but how does it feel to play?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

gromdul posted:

How are the bots in this game? Or the game in general? The vids look great, but how does it feel to play?

The bots are pretty good up until you find a Ratling Gunner upon which they all line up to commit suicide.

The game is pretty great.Combat feels visceral, controls are responsive and my only gripe is the Rat Ogre has perhaps a little too much health. There's mechanics you can learn to be really good at the game, mainly involving Stamina, which aren't needed for the lower difficulties but allow you to pull off some superman poo poo in Pubbie games if you do.

Hook Rats are bastards. You will learn to hate.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't seem to run the game right now I keep getting an error when I try to launch in game. Anyone else having issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

gromdul posted:

They are really good at sticking together, and will snipe specials kinda like L4D bots.

Bots also will use whatever equipment you have on your characters, so even if you don't play waywatcher, equip her good items so that when you use her as a bot she has good poo poo on.

• Locked thread