Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

the dash thing u do while is tricky because it looks like it doesn't have invincibility frames but i thnk it does?/?/?

it does, its just the roll but with a different animation or w/e. the difference between them is that riolling attacks are different to dash attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

an important thing to remember about iframes and related stuff is that when you do a charge attack, you get super armour after the flash of light, but you dont get any while charging or if you let go of the attack early

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah i noticed the full charge attack seemed to have armour c00l

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ludwig's sward is cool cuz it's like silver knight sword + mooonglight great sword. freaking awesome :awesomelon::iamafag::awesome:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there better be a lot of big anime weapons in dark souls 3

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

there better be a lot of big anime weapons in dark souls 3

i liked the obsidian great sword o whatever it was called u get off of uh i think kalameet.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Something that struck me after going back to bloodborne today after six straight weeks MGS5 is how many games have loose controls or playing just feels kind of sloppy. How is it that "playing the game" isn't the first or most important part of development for so many games. Witcher 3 is a great example, they put alot into the story and the world was really cool but the control was sloppy as gently caress and trying to play it after bloodborne or metal gear feels like something that isn't finished.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Benny D posted:

Something that struck me after going back to bloodborne today after six straight weeks MGS5 is how many games have loose controls or playing just feels kind of sloppy. How is it that "playing the game" isn't the first or most important part of development for so many games. Witcher 3 is a great example, they put alot into the story and the world was really cool but the control was sloppy as gently caress and trying to play it after bloodborne or metal gear feels like something that isn't finished.

dragon's dogma is another game with slick controls, and witcher 3 got a patch with an alternative control scheme that made it feel a bit more like that for running around and stuff, not in combat or anything

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
When I stopped playing Bloodborne I fought enemies with insane precision, just like Neo at the end of The Matrix series.

Now once again I find myself to be more like Neo at the beginning of The Matrix . I hope the DLC can make me once again take the red pill, become a powerful fighter, and see sights that make me say "Woah."

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Benny D posted:

The souls series has ruined a lot of games for me because of this exactly.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went from bloodborne to witcher 3, and had to stop playing for that reason exactly. i might get back into it after dragon's dogma though, since they patched in new controls.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Benny D posted:

devs are all stupid is why

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
witcher 3 was the first witcher game I ever tried and yeah, after bloodborne I just could not get into it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Witcher 3 was the exception for me because the story was so good. I never care about video game characters/story so that was new to me. The combat was bad. Souls games definitely killed elder scrolls for me though - those games seem unredeemable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

/me reads the posts and thinks back to my own enlightenment in 2009 after beating 1-1 in demons souls and sighs and takes a sip from my coffee

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In Training posted:

/me reads the posts and thinks back to my own enlightenment in 2009 after beating 1-1 in demons souls and sighs and takes a sip from my coffee

lol if you didn't take a leap of faith and purchase a $600 console exclusively to play demon's souls, a game from a new franchise you'd only just heard of

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol if you didn't take a leap of faith and purchase a $600 console exclusively to play demon's souls, a game from a new franchise you'd only just heard of

I won my PS3 in a raffle :homebrew:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm not sure how u could ever be under the impression that elder scrolls games have good combat. gently caress you all

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Benny D posted:

who was it that said that westerners design games from the screen out, japanese design games from the controller in? there are exceptions (mirrors edge is cool) but its true. for example assassins creed is so obsessed with making things look right that the relationship of the player to the character they're controlling is basically a trainer running next to their dog through an obstacle course

Dec 26, 2012

i'm not sure how u could ever be under the impression that elder scrolls games have good combat. gently caress you all

i dont even know why anyone could think that thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there are people who play elder scrolls and practically nothing else so a janky rear end pile of poo poo is the default

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wasn't certainly. They had a lot of (bad) combat. Imagining the game you get with an elder scrolls map but dark souls combat makes playing the actual elder scrolls garbage we get seem really bad.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I love hate the tontrius in this game, its powerful but swings and acts like a flashlight with dead batteries

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I love hate the tontrius in this game, its powerful but swings and acts like a flashlight with dead batteries

Tonitrus is sick. I can't wait for the dlc weapons

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Some stuff from the ds3 stress test:

You can charge heavy attacks like in bloodborne
Two estus flasks, one for health and the other refills your "sword art" / mana meter. Haven't seen any spells yet but it seems implied that magic will use the demons souls mana style instead of having a limited number of casts
Enemies that are kicked/corpses kicked off after backstabbing have full collision. There was one part where he kicked a mob and it flew backwards and bowled over all the monsters behind it
Some of the more dangerous monsters in early gameplay are clearly reskinned versions of bloodborne mobs. Those ft executioner guys for instance appear in several places with the exact same moveset but they're wearing fat fluted armor
This has been said already but the world looks incredible & definitely has more of the dark souls 1 feeling of distance & isolation.
Item called "ember" that seems to function like a humanity. It isn't explained but when its used it says "CINDER RESTORED" & your character glows with these cracking flames & your health goes up about 50% & sprinting no longer consumes stamina.
"KNIGHT" style enemies won't let you circle strafe around them. They'll swing their shields off to the side and even back behind them to smack you and keep you in front of them.
There are little stones you can offer flames to that give you bits of lore and backstory like the little glowy spots in bloodborne
The first area is seriously massive and it encourages exploration, there's tons of little hidden pathways & rooftops and you can go pretty much anywhere you can see. It feels like a much bigger & fancier version of 1-1 but nonlinear. The world is interconnected & shortcuts are used to link everything
Throwing knives feel like pebbles in the sense that difficult enemies have a lot of overlapping patrols & you need to pull them apart to keep from getting overwhelmed. He got a shitload of knives but they don't do any real damage
Red eye knights are back
weapon resins are plentiful but the effect doesn't last very long, maybe 15-20 seconds

Edit music is incredible.

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 19, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm fully erect.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I watched a video of someone playing the stress test and it looks like playing DS3 will be the defining moment of my life

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

I watched a video of someone playing the stress test and it looks like playing DS3 will be the defining moment of my life

Mine will be approx 4 years from now when they release the Complete Souls Collection including Demons and Dark 1 - 3 on one PS4 disc and I play through them all in an elevated mind state.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

Mine will be approx 4 years from now when they release the Complete Souls Collection including Demons and Dark 1 - 3 on one PS4 disc and I play through them all in an elevated mind state.

drat, you're right

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Catharsis.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

He's playing a caster now, spells definitely use mana.

Some spells can be rapid fired where the animation will change on subsequent casts & they'll do less damage than the initial cast but will come out really fast

Spells can be charged with the sword art for catalysts

The game does not warn you when you've been invaded

Edit never mind apparently that's a known bug in the test

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you, Benny. That all sounds awesome.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm fully erect.

Dec 26, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

i didn't really like the tonitrus until i sorted out its transformation attack

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
God bless you Benny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny! Benny! Benny! Oohhhhh, Benny and the deets.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I'm fully erect.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I read somewhere that there are parrying shields and then there's other shields where instead of parrying with l2 they have a special sword arts type attack or move set.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

I read somewhere that there are parrying shields and then there's other shields where instead of parrying with l2 they have a special sword arts type attack or move set.

yeah the 1h weapon art is based on your off-hand. big shields slam/push, medium shields have arts, small shields parry.

if you 2h the wep you get the art tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There have been those huge shields with slam moves but they've always felt completely useless to me