Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

Smuggling delivery missions put the necessary cargo for the mission directly into your hold.

I got that part, I was wondering about doing freelance smuggling. Trying to see if it's worthwhile really, like I can see that Muruidon - Crippen Orbital has a Black Market and things like Combat Stabilisers are Illegal. So can I go buy some somewhere and ship them there. Is the Black Market price for them a bit random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

A lot of smuggling jobs are unavailable to me because I have 'Unfriendly' rep with the Federation. If I could get jobs from Sirius or the Communist faction that would be good but I feel like all the best ones are with Fed Unite.

So what station is best to run out of around Sothis/Ceos in my case?.

If you're already at Sothis, you can fly to Robigo instead. They only have Sirius Corporation and a pirate faction, and the bulletin board fills up to the same amount of missions.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Sothis is about an hour's round trip that usually nets about $6 mil on average. Is it worth stocking up on illegal goods when there? Is there a suggested station to sell to?

Of course that's 14 jumps that's usually plotted randomly and most often is nestled among a stack of dead suns making things quite tense when you're getting low and start having to do short hops trying to find a sun you can scoop.

Or landing between two suns, getting rightly cooked then having your cargo catch malfunction and send your hard earned space weed into a star.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lima posted:

I think only goods sold on the black markets counts towards the smuggling stats.
The Seeking <whatever> traders also count toward your black market stats for whatever reason. Or at least they used to.

Aramoro posted:

I got that part, I was wondering about doing freelance smuggling. Trying to see if it's worthwhile really, like I can see that Muruidon - Crippen Orbital has a Black Market and things like Combat Stabilisers are Illegal. So can I go buy some somewhere and ship them there. Is the Black Market price for them a bit random?
Ah. Yes, moving items from a place they're legal and selling them at a black market somewhere they're not is totally a thing you can do. It's been a while, but if I'm remembering correctly it's generally a fair bit more profitable than normal legal trading on a per-ton basis. Like normal trading however, finding a good route can be tricky.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
OK, this is where I am at.
X52 Pro, I plug it in and my mouse cursor goes to the bottom of the screen, with or with the Saitek software open, so at that point I can't do anything.
If I unplug the joystick I get a beeping sound, like a PC system beep, over and over, nothing is clickable and I have to press reset on the PC to get back to Windows.
Windows 10, all latest drivers, it;s doing my head in because I can't play, any ideas?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My X52 pro works just fine in Windows 10, and has since its release day. Have you tried it on another PC to eliminate the slim possibility of a coincidental hardware failure? Otherwise I'd suspect an incompatibility with something. Presumably it worked fine under an earlier version of Windows on the same hardware? If so, see if you can find updated motherboard drivers.

Failing that, I have heard other reports of issues with this stick and Windows 10. You might just have to get in touch with Mad Catz support, and from what I hear, they're pretty lovely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

..btt posted:

My X52 pro works just fine in Windows 10, and has since its release day. Have you tried it on another PC to eliminate the slim possibility of a coincidental hardware failure? Otherwise I'd suspect an incompatibility with something. Presumably it worked fine under an earlier version of Windows on the same hardware? If so, see if you can find updated motherboard drivers.

Failing that, I have heard other reports of issues with this stick and Windows 10. You might just have to get in touch with Mad Catz support, and from what I hear, they're pretty lovely.

It was OK in win 7 yeah, I'll have another go at it tonight.
I have another PC I can test it on so I'll give that a go as well, thanks :)

Do you use the Saitek software or just drivers or nothing?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I think it would help a lot if they made guns reload themselves out of combat from the cargo hold.

Maybe this is part of the co-op gameplay that Braben has referenced...Cobra, Asp, etc. all have second seats. Maybe it won't be limited to one body flies and one body shoots?

I hope to one day roleplay a sassy Orca flight attendant who wears too much cologne.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Maybe this is part of the co-op gameplay that Braben has referenced...Cobra, Asp, etc. all have second seats. Maybe it won't be limited to one body flies and one body shoots?

I hope to one day roleplay a sassy Orca flight attendant who wears too much cologne.

I'll be your rough but fair 70's themed pilot with fake gold medalleon and a taste for danger

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, from their site. I used the old drivers at release, then updated to the very first version of the win 10 beta drivers when they appeared. I can check the version when I get home.

One more thought, I managed to knock the cable between throttle and stick half way out when dicking about with it once. That resulted in some very strange behaviour. Check you haven't got a loose cable anywhere.

Also, maybe try another USB port. If it's in a v3 port now, try moving to a v2 port, etc. USB isn't always as simple as it professes to be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

..btt posted:

Yeah, from their site. I used the old drivers at release, then updated to the very first version of the win 10 beta drivers when they appeared. I can check the version when I get home.

One more thought, I managed to knock the cable between throttle and stick half way out when dicking about with it once. That resulted in some very strange behaviour. Check you haven't got a loose cable anywhere.

Also, maybe try another USB port. If it's in a v3 port now, try moving to a v2 port, etc. USB isn't always as simple as it professes to be.

I'll get stuck into it later tonight, thanks for the angles of attack buddy

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

OK, this is where I am at.
X52 Pro, I plug it in and my mouse cursor goes to the bottom of the screen, with or with the Saitek software open, so at that point I can't do anything.
If I unplug the joystick I get a beeping sound, like a PC system beep, over and over, nothing is clickable and I have to press reset on the PC to get back to Windows.
Windows 10, all latest drivers, it;s doing my head in because I can't play, any ideas?

I can't help you fix it but i can let you know it was going this for me too with win10 and an X-55, so you're not going bonkers and your PC is probably not hosed. It's like unplugging it completely fucks up the whole USB stack or something. It wasn't constant beeping for me, just when i moved the mouse. everything else worked which is i think because they're plugged into separate USB header things on the motherboard. I was gonna try the stick through a hub and see if that helped but i had to get on a plane instead.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

peter gabriel posted:

I had the same problem, installing the win 10 beta drivers fixed it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Those win 10 beta drivers are also good for win 7. I absolutely could not get the mouse nub on my X52 pro to register anywhere except the control panel with the normal drivers on the Saitek website.

Those win 10 drivers work perfectly and you dont have to install the SST software, meaning less fuckery to undo any profile config that might conflict with Elite.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of these X52 issues have left me bookmarking the Amazon sales pages for the CH throttle and stick.

Throttle first, of course, since my Logitech Xtreme has yet to fail me in the slightest.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

I'll be your rough but fair 70's themed pilot with fake gold medalleon and a taste for danger

"Ladies and gentlefrogs, this is your captain speaking. I've turned on the fasten-your-seatbelt sign because this ride is about to get...bumpy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ3eBerHfM

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Press X to rummage through the cargo to find some extra ammo.
Hold X to load ammo.
Press X to sit down in your recliner.
Use the joystick to adjust recline angle.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Interplanetary flights should require you to pay real dollars for the in-game option to sit in a reclinable chair but you better believe that alcoholic beverages are free on interstellar flights.

Press 'X' to make it a double.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I can't help you fix it but i can let you know it was going this for me too with win10 and an X-55, so you're not going bonkers and your PC is probably not hosed. It's like unplugging it completely fucks up the whole USB stack or something. It wasn't constant beeping for me, just when i moved the mouse. everything else worked which is i think because they're plugged into separate USB header things on the motherboard. I was gonna try the stick through a hub and see if that helped but i had to get on a plane instead.

Sounds exactly like my issue, will try other ports, thanks :)

Supradog posted:

I had the same problem, installing the win 10 beta drivers fixed it.

And this!
Thanks guys you rock

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Hoping for multiple crew members so we can LAN it up and have this experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrtQ9AdoM0

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just want to be able to walk around in the ships.

Looking at the models you can tell there's a lot of future features the dev's designed into the ships themselves, like the second seat below the pilot seat in the Asp or the multi-level cockpit of the T9, or that little viewing area at the nose of the Anaconda, etc.

I wonder how they're going to push the transition from ship to SRV in horizons. If it will be a little mini-cinematic that will have you force walked through the interior of your ship to the SRV or if you'll just blink and appear behind the controls when you go to drop it onto the surface.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

LCL-Dead posted:

I wonder how they're going to push the transition from ship to SRV in horizons. If it will be a little mini-cinematic that will have you force walked through the interior of your ship to the SRV or if you'll just blink and appear behind the controls when you go to drop it onto the surface.

e: don't get me wrong, i'd love to see some mini-cinematic but it would probably get boring after the 700th time. also, frontier seems to be pretty consistent with their approach to releasing a minimally-viable product first and then refining second.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

^^^^ picture worth 1000 words

LCL-Dead posted:

Looking at the models you can tell there's a lot of future features the dev's designed into the ships themselves, like the second seat below the pilot seat in the Asp or the multi-level cockpit of the T9, or that little viewing area at the nose of the Anaconda, etc.

It'll be the latter i suspect because although they're all planned out (i think, paging Bloody Wanker), they're not actually in the model yet because that'd be a waste of performance right now. I'm expecting a black screen with a spinny orange SRV on it. Eventually you'll have to get up and go get in it though :D

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

LCL-Dead posted:

Anti-gravity doesn't exist in the Elite universe. So they'll either have to fudge it like when they invented supercruise and hyperspace for their multiplayer universe or else they are going to have a big challenge ahead of them for moving around in ships.

Similarly to how they're doing planetary landings, I would bet we'll see walking around on spinning stations first, in order to lay the foundation for a more complex feature later on.

Edit: I was thinking that if they added ship interiors they're probably only going to be accessible from inside a spinning station.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

Anti-gravity doesn't exist in the Elite universe. So they'll either have to fudge it like when they invented supercruise and hyperspace for their multiplayer universe or else they are going to have a big challenge ahead of them for moving around in ships.

Similarly to how they're doing planetary landings, I would bet we'll see walking around on spinning stations first, in order to lay the foundation for a more complex feature later on.

*cambridge accented computer voice* MAGNET BOOTS OFF

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Gravity? Yeah we mastered that over a hundred years ago, turns out it was super easy. Oh you're wondering about the spinning stations. Well, that just looks loving rad.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
So, is there another thread for people playing on console? I do realize this game is best on PC. Looking to make a wing,

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bedshaped posted:

A lot of smuggling jobs are unavailable to me because I have 'Unfriendly' rep with the Federation. If I could get jobs from Sirius or the Communist faction that would be good but I feel like all the best ones are with Fed Unite.

So what station is best to run out of around Sothis/Ceos in my case?.

Fehu is the Empire Sothis.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Slayer1597 posted:

So, is there another thread for people playing on console? I do realize this game is best on PC. Looking to make a wing,

I'm playing on XBone, Aramoro is my Gamertag.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where is the goonspace on the xbone? My gamer tag is LOLballs6969

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp, looks like Sothis smuggling missions are nerfed as of this morning. At least I got one solid run in. *sigh*

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Welp, looks like Sothis smuggling missions are nerfed as of this morning. At least I got one solid run in. *sigh*

How so

e: Say it ain't so, I'm only up to 47m, need 2 more runs to get FAS

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

How so

e: Say it ain't so, I'm only up to 47m, need 2 more runs to get FAS

they are not even being offered now

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

They seem to have squashed the >$1M smuggling missions out of Sothis, either eliminating them or drastically reducing their appearance rate. I've been cycling missions for an hour now and haven't seen anything over ~$1.2M, whereas last night you could fill up on $3M-$5M missions in under an hour.

I'd worry that I'm just getting the poo poo end of the RNG, but users complaining on the Frontier forums seem to be echoing my experience.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RIP Sothis, you were too good for this world

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I just started this weekend, went from Sidewinder -> Imperial Eagle -> Cobra.

I almost had enough for an Asp with an A class FSD too.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Alright I just refreshed four times and had zero smuggling missions on the BB. :frontear: please say it ain't so, is the dream dead?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Edit: I was thinking that if they added ship interiors they're probably only going to be accessible from inside a spinning station.
Standard issue spaceman boots have tiny electromagnets in the soles. Also, if you look around the cockpits, there are grab bars all over the place.

Ship interiors also have an up/down orientation because they operate in gravity half the time (i.e. when docked or landed).

I'm pretty sure the T9's cockpit violates several health and safety rules though, it needs a few banisters at least...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I mean when it was def working I could go 10-15 refreshes without seeing a mission so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hopefully continuing the story...

Date/Time: Not time sensitive. Presumably post a few days after this announcement.
Title: Ledzhaba Infestation Intensifies, Locals Increasingly Incensed
Description: Residents of Skvortsov Orbital are frustrated with a stationwide infestation of ledzhaba, a translucent nuisance creature of unknown origins. “They’re not amphibians,” a local xenobiologist was quoted saying, “they’re full of mesoglea like jellyfish. Loud, hopping, four legged, smelly, stupid little jellyfish.” Specimens up to several centimeters in width have been reported and colonies clogging the inlet ducts of waste treatment systems have become so bad that some sectors are enforcing rationing of sanitary services. “The sound is the worst part,” said one resident, “the croaking can even be heard on the landing pads! I can’t sleep!” Pilots are advised to not connect life support systems to Skvortsov Orbital until further notice, and be aware of any unusual sounds or smells emanating from their holds or water tanks. Representatives of the Diamond Frogs faction deny rumors that the ledzhaba were imported to become pets as part of a promotion.
Commander Name: Beer4TheBeerGod

• Locked thread