Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
perse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

http://yle.fi/uutiset/quietest_day_so_far_at_tornio_asylum_centre/8389666

The news is spreading! Soon all will know how terrible this country is.

Please don't come here.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaKko3VGAnY

finnish throat singing

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I thought this thread could use some off-key Wittgenstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGksgZKecKE

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Don't come it's awful here. Every morning you'll wake up disappointed that death didn't take you away from this place during the night.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Here's the latest from Finnish prog metal band Amorphis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6EbatvP9f4

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
finland is fine these refugees know nothing of living off the government and playing online games for 15 hours a day

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tuxedo gin plz close this thread

it was briefly amusing to remind people that place like finland actually exists but I think everyone's in on the joke by now

every extra moment spent thinking about finland is a moment wasted so let the forums forget the finn and drift on to happier things

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

tuxedo gin make this thread sticky so the briefly amused swede never forgets.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

just quoting for tengger cavalry

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
do finland and sweden even know what horses are

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
did you know: the name finland, when translated into modern day english, means "the end country". the name is such because finland is where people and culture go to die

SmokaDustbowl posted:

i live in a suburban-ish area, 12 miles from helsinki. less than 30 years ago, there was basically nothing but stables and farms here. some of them are still around

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

i live in a suburban-ish area, 12 miles from helsinki. less than 30 years ago, there was basically nothing but stables and farms here. some of them are still around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE8mFDabqD0

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
unfortunately, prime swampland is still a few miles off. there's a small lake and a tiny but determined stream of water, though. it's nice and post-apocalyptic, here in vantaa

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

it's nice and post-apocalyptic, here in vantaa

Only in the sense that you'll probably develop some interesting mutations if you eat fish from vantaankoski.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nurge posted:

Only in the sense that you'll probably develop some interesting mutations if you eat fish from vantaankoski.
*checks wikipedia* "15000 litres of detergent released into the water in 1995"

why do people even build factories anywhere near water, i don't get it

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

*checks wikipedia* "15000 litres of detergent released into the water in 1995"

why do people even build factories anywhere near water, i don't get it

I don't know if you're asking in earnest or not, but historically shipping things via rivers was the most efficient way to move product. Also a lot of plants ran on water power.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it was more of a contemplative question

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

hard counter posted:

tuxedo gin plz close this thread

it was briefly amusing to remind people that place like finland actually exists but I think everyone's in on the joke by now

every extra moment spent thinking about finland is a moment wasted so let the forums forget the finn and drift on to happier things

i actually like finland. i've been there twice. ate reindeer and bear and elk and arctic brambleberry icecream.

the dude at the zoo let me in for free because it was -18C and nobody else had come the entire day

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i actually like finland. i've been there twice. ate reindeer and bear and elk and arctic brambleberry icecream.

the dude at the zoo let me in for free because it was -18C and nobody else had come the entire day

Just to poo poo on the finnish myths or whatever no one actually eats bear. Elk is fairly rare. Reindeer is sometimes eaten but it's mostly really rare as food outside of lapland. I have the other two now and then, but I've only eaten bear once in my life and it was at a super fancy russian restaurant.

e: So basically tourists shovel that poo poo down but no one actually living in finland does. Elk and Reindeer, sometimes.

I mean poronkäristys is great and all but I challenge any finns in the thread living south of Oulu to claim they have that poo poo at any regularity.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 20, 2015

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nurge posted:

Just to poo poo on the finnish myths or whatever no one actually eats bear. Elk is fairly rare. Reindeer is sometimes eaten but it's mostly really rare as food outside of lapland. I have the other two now and then, but I've only eaten bear once in my life and it was at a super fancy russian restaurant.

e: So basically tourists shovel that poo poo down but no one actually living in finland does. Elk and Reindeer, sometimes.

yeah the bear was at a russian place in helsinki

the elk and reindeer were delicious and i would never imagine they were staples in the finnish diet. i ate them at pretty nice restaurants.

i'm just trying to say some positive things about the bog people so the swedes stop getting so pissy in the finland thread

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

the elk and reindeer were delicious and i would never imagine they were staples in the finnish diet. i ate them at pretty nice restaurants.

i'm just trying to say some positive things about the bog people so the swedes stop getting so pissy in the finland thread

Reindeer meat has a pretty weird uriney flavor to it which takes a bit to get accustomed to. It makes for some mean-rear end potato casserole stuff though. I think the main reason people don't eat it down south is that it's somewhat expensive down here.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I had canned bear on pizza once, it was great to eat such a majestic creature on a greasy rear end cheese poo poo pizza :c00l:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SmokaDustbowl posted:

You would think the finn might know something of horses but nah, not real horses anyway.

They have a really lovely, runty breed of horse there that's good for nothing that probably descends from an eastern line of domesticated animals rather than a northern one. It's appropriately called the finnhorse. Historically and in pre-modern times those would get ditched when you had money and any other breed was available.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

You would think the finn might know something of horses but nah, not real horses anyway.

They have a really lovely, runty breed of horse there that's good for nothing that probably descends from an eastern line of domesticated animals rather than a northern one. It's appropriately called the finnhorse. Historically and in pre-modern times those would get ditched when you had money and any other breed was available.

uh ok

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Hey our bog horses are hard workers and nice people. No wonder swede things they are good for nothing.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hard counter posted:

being mad about finnish horses, a swedish national pastime

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Move to Finland. Let the darkness claim you.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Nurge posted:

I mean poronkäristys is great and all but I challenge any finns in the thread living south of Oulu to claim they have that poo poo at any regularity.
I have some rugged outdoorsy in-laws that could claim that but then again, they wouldn't post here. :>

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Naxuz posted:

being mad about finnish horses, a swedish national pastime

lol you think i'm mad when i'm just paraphrasing the boghorse's own wiki

quote:

"The other main theory suggests that non-Viking peoples, who migrated into Finland from the southeast and south, brought with them horses of Mongolian origin that had been further developed in the Urals and Volga River regions."
"During the Thirty Years' War in 1618–1648, the horses used by Finnish cavalry were small and unrepresentative, considered inferior even to the cargo horses used by the Swedish Royal Army."
"The humble-looking Finnish horses were presumably exchanged when possible for other horses obtained as spoils of war. It was probably rare for a cavalryman to return with the same horse with which he left, and it is likely that the horses brought back to Finland were crossbreeds or of purely Central European lines"

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

hard counter posted:

Go ride your fancy horse you sissy girl.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bog horse is a horse

of course

of course

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hard counter posted:

lol you think i'm mad

yeah i think u mad

lol

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

hard counter posted:

Yeah holmes, u mad. U hella mad.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tuxedo Gin posted:

if you take 'being pissy' out of the swedes they would have nothing left

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It is their way, the way of piss.

Pissvägen

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

hard counter posted:

smaller horses require less food, are more resilient, don't get tired as easily etc. as bigger (european) horses. one of the reasons mongols conquered the world is because their horses were tougher than pretty european/arab warhorses which required more maintenance

hahaha you swedes are so loving dumb

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nauta posted:

smaller horses require less food, are more resilient, don't get tired as easily etc. as bigger (european) horses. one of the reasons mongols conquered the world is because their horses were tougher than pretty european/arab warhorses which required more maintenance

hahaha you swedes are so loving dumb

the steppe pony is the toyota pickup truck of horses

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

hard counter posted:

Actually finnish bog horses had their moment in world war 2 where they hauled shitload of materials in conditions where mechanical things just failed. (Soviets never thought that conditions could be that lovely in finland)
And finnish horses aren't meant for riding they are meant for hauling heavy loads.

Nurge posted:

well i have freezer full of elk meat. it makes great ingredient to pizzas.
i have eaten reindeer as well but that meat wasnt for my liking
and i could buy some bear meat as well if i ever wanted it.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjyt-6hJQw

As God intended.

• Locked thread