Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

wyoak posted:

Could be that your DHCP server is creating the DNS record, not the client. DNS suffix doesn't mean it's on the domain. If there's no machine account it's probably not on the domain, barring some weird situation with display name mismatches.

Not sure, but it's possible, I don't manage anything with the DHCP.

So it's probably not on the domain and people need yelling at. Groovy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Supposing I go with something else, does anything exist to actually mimic an "always-on" VPN? The closest I've seen is Log Me In Hamachi, though I don't know if I'd trust that at an enterprise level.

I mean, the built-in VPN client in Windows 10 would be fine if I could get a non-convoluted script to make sure it connects at login (at bootup would be even better) and does everything it can to reconnect if ever down. Naturally, Microsoft would prefer you pay for that, but I don't see what's stopping someone from reverse engineering something.

Softether will do always on SSL VPN and it easy to setup and manage. We use it for our field techs who can't remember/understand how to dial in the old Windows VPN. Even does it before login in case we reset their password etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone feel like they have a good setup for software Updates in SCCM?I see a lot of stuff on how to setup an ADR, but they're always naieve in assuming you'll have one deployment group ever and you'll just magically never need to worry about going over 1000 patches in a deployment package, or expired updates.

Also, is there a reason to care if a software update is in multiple deployment packages? I know that on the DPs the content will be deduped, but it's still sitting on my source file share multiple times. And it just seems messy.

Just not really sure what a good approach is here, so wondering what other people are doing that works.

As an aside, this is my biggest gripe with SCCM specifically and IT in general. I've got this massively powerful tool and I know how to push the buttons to make stuff happen, and it's clear from the way some things are implemented that it was designed to be used in a certain way, but that way is a secret. So everybody has to reinvent the wheel. Sure, every environment is different, but there should be some best practices I can work from instead of starting from whole cloth. And every environment wouldn't be so different if we didn't have to reinvent the wheel with every drat tool in use.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

As an aside, this is my biggest gripe with SCCM specifically and IT in general. I've got this massively powerful tool and I know how to push the buttons to make stuff happen, and it's clear from the way some things are implemented that it was designed to be used in a certain way, but that way is a secret. So everybody has to reinvent the wheel. Sure, every environment is different, but there should be some best practices I can work from instead of starting from whole cloth. And every environment wouldn't be so different if we didn't have to reinvent the wheel with every drat tool in use.

:agreed:

I dont have an answer to you except many years of trial and error with SCCM.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey guys can you walk me through DNS like I'm a complete moron which I am. Here's the problem:

I have two DNS servers, DNS1 and DNS2. User has DNS1 as the primary DNS server, DNS2 as the second.

When DNS1 is turned off, the user cannot access the Internet or get any DNS. They can put in 8.8.8.8 as DNS server manually and then Internet (but not internal) DNS works.

Why would this be. Why wouldn't the second DNS server work. Does it have to do with which DNS server that second DNS server has listed as the primary?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There should be a timeout on the client where after X seconds of not being able to contact DNS1 it will contact DNS2 instead. Are you sure DNS is actually running and working on DNS2? You can use the nslookup command to query it directly. For exampe: nslookup google.com <IP of DNS2> will send the DNS query directly to that server.

My guess is that DNS2 isn't actually working properly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That would be my guess too. The handoff is usually seamless for us in our network. I can reboot my servers with impunity as long as one is up.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hey guys can you walk me through DNS like I'm a complete moron which I am. Here's the problem:

I have two DNS servers, DNS1 and DNS2. User has DNS1 as the primary DNS server, DNS2 as the second.

When DNS1 is turned off, the user cannot access the Internet or get any DNS. They can put in 8.8.8.8 as DNS server manually and then Internet (but not internal) DNS works.

Why would this be. Why wouldn't the second DNS server work. Does it have to do with which DNS server that second DNS server has listed as the primary?

Make sure it's actually active and replicating.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yup, something is up with DNS 2. Make sure your DHCP clients are getting the IP for DNS2 as a secondary IP address, make sure DNS 2 is actually functioning (service running, bound to correct IP/adapter, zones have information), nslookup against DNS 2 directly.

It should be almost transparent to the end users if one of them goes down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

While we're talking about DNS - a thing to bear in mind is that if you have multiple servers in your DHCP offer (as you drat well should), if the first DNS server responds with NXDOMAIN the client won't look at the next one in the list. The server responded, but there was nothing to respond with.

I've seen it catch people out when they try and do strange things with DNS.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

babies havin rabies posted:

I think I've tried that GPO option already, but I'll have to check the ticket to be sure at this point.

Actually, the problem stopped. In fact, it stopped at roughly 10pm last night. After I finished a movie I rebooted some PCs from home to see if the behavior was different off-hours, and everything was fine. Then, everything was fine today. On all sites/subnets.

I didn't change anything, either. I'm on vacation all next week. Read-only mode.

So this problem reared its ugly head again by the time I got back from vacation. Today I finally had some time to sit down and tackle it, and I think I got it.

It turned out to be a GPO. By creating an inheritance-blocked OU and putting an affected computer in it, I was able to turn enforcement back on one-by-one. It didn't take long to figure out which one was the culprit. I'll dispense with the details, but it was an old vbs script trying to run some executables that definitely weren't needed anymore. Exactly why this was causing a problem only on other subnets, I really have no idea, but removing it from the domain fixed the problem, at least for now.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

There should be a timeout on the client where after X seconds of not being able to contact DNS1 it will contact DNS2 instead. Are you sure DNS is actually running and working on DNS2? You can use the nslookup command to query it directly. For exampe: nslookup google.com <IP of DNS2> will send the DNS query directly to that server.

My guess is that DNS2 isn't actually working properly.

Ok let me test this tomorrow.

The only reason I think dns2 is running is, when I added it to the dhcp scope settings it said "validating bla bla bla" and then it worked. Also I see internal DNS things on that server when I open DNS mgmt console.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Ok let me test this tomorrow.

The only reason I think dns2 is running is, when I added it to the dhcp scope settings it said "validating bla bla bla" and then it worked. Also I see internal DNS things on that server when I open DNS mgmt console.

I got a DNS request timed out! I confirmed the DNS service is running, and that zones had info, etc.

I looked at the DNS server properties, saw it was referencing some internal forwarders that don't exist anymore, removed those references. Now it seems to be working.

No way that's all it was... because if the forwarders aren't available why didn't it just go to the "root hints"?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone feel like they have a good setup for software Updates in SCCM?I see a lot of stuff on how to setup an ADR, but they're always naieve in assuming you'll have one deployment group ever and you'll just magically never need to worry about going over 1000 patches in a deployment package, or expired updates.

Also, is there a reason to care if a software update is in multiple deployment packages? I know that on the DPs the content will be deduped, but it's still sitting on my source file share multiple times. And it just seems messy.

Just not really sure what a good approach is here, so wondering what other people are doing that works.

What I've done in the past is create a test collection of devices. Set up the ADR to automatically download them, and wait 3 days until they are actually installed. That way I figured if there was ever a bad update that got pushed out by Microsoft I'd have some time to clear out the old update and get ready to deploy the new patch.

As for the source files I have no idea. I agree it gets messy and I wish there was a better way to keep things clean and organized.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Once a year I delete all the superseded updates plus the updates that have 0 Required/Installed, then redownload the remaining updates into a new deployment package and delete the original deployment package. That usually cuts things down by 80%.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I use ADR exclusively for our testing group. I'd love to start using it for our non-critical servers but haven't brought myself to do it yet.

For organizing updates, there's no clean way to do it as far as my experience goes. I'll try to do some quarterly maintenance on our single massive "Window Update" package to clear out anything expired or superseded. I don't clear out any "0 requirement" updates just because we have some old images flying around on thumb drives that I'm trying to stomp out but I'm transitioning to a new job soon so :shrug:

It looks like there's a nice script out there that might help automate it though I haven't tested it myself yet.

quote:

They seem to design these tools to be everything to everyone. I've worked 3 SCCM Admin\Engineer jobs and every one used it differently. Microsoft wants their System Center tools to be adaptable in any environment and unfortunately that means being as vague as possible (and consequently getting you to employ Microsoft Consulting Services).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
BTW, of all the ways you can use SCCM, I guarantee that "SCCM as a service" is the absolute worst, at least if you're the provider (It's me, I'm the provider!)

Digging through the RAP report. There are 2 collections that update every 10 minutes, and one that updates every 7 minutes. And that's just the "High" security alerts. There are plenty in the "Medium" alerts that update at least hourly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tony Montana posted:

ok sorry, been busy.

15 mins is the minimum inter-site replication interval, while intra-site is 'pull' meaning DC will flag they've got a change and it's replication partners will pull it pretty much immediately. Inter-site is compressed, reducing WAN link traffic but increasing CPU cycles while intra-site is not.. obviously your LAN links are bigger than your WAN so that's why this makes sense. As for the volume of bandwidth used.. anyone saying OMG BANDWIDTH is someone that can be safely ignored for this and probably anything else technical.

Great post, I have no idea why it took me so goddamn long to find an answer for this question. Curious, do you work for MS?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tab8715 posted:

Great post, I have no idea why it took me so goddamn long to find an answer for this question. Curious, do you work for MS?

Most of that information is found pretty quckly when googling sites and services (ok maybe not REALLY quickly). I spent about 4 hours one night trouble shooting some domain issues and learned a boatload about sites and services and other stuff, I'll see if I can dig up the one link I found.. it was basically a boatload of info on sites and services in one page...

*EDIT* well after googling for a bit I can't seem to find the drat website. Apparently when I'm half asleep I'm better at googling than I am when I'm wide awake and well fed

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 19, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just for fun I've installed myself the 2012 r2 sccm suite because I wanted to try and do stuff with it.

What are some neat little projects I could try with this behemoth?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

Just for fun I've installed myself the 2012 r2 sccm suite because I wanted to try and do stuff with it.

You could try to not get liver failure while using it.

Serious answer, I think the knowledge that transfers over the most to other IT areas would be playing with ADRs, and making software packages. You could try creating a package and deploying it to some test computers and then setup updates to deploy as well to those computers.

Just a tip starting out get the CMTrace tool. I think it's a separate download for some reason from Microsoft as part of a developers kit.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Make an OS deployment. It will force you to use most of the important modules in SCCM.

If you want something more structured, buy either this book or this book and follow the examples. They're $10 each in the US for an ebook copy.

Or just go to http://deploymentresearch.com/Research and pick a random article to replicate.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just a tip starting out get the CMTrace tool. I think it's a separate download for some reason from Microsoft as part of a developers kit.

Mercifully, it's also included in boot media so you can use it to debug a failed OSD in place.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

devmd01 posted:

The eventual goal is to consolidate all resources to DomainA, but this is going to be a multi-year process.

Step One: easy half of migration

Step Two: Ask for raise :wiggle:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol, we're on our way, but our director is having issues with prioritizing projects since we have so goddamn many.

FWIW I converted all 4 domains to use conditional forwarders today....in the middle of the day. :unsmigghh:

No issues, I tested access to srv records as I went.

Now I just need to test lync autodiscover resolution for one domain pointed to the new domains DC and its game on for migrating dhcp to consolidated dhcp failover scopes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The sharepoint 2010 timer service keeps restarting. In event viewer I see, "The SharePoint 2010 Timer service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147467259." I did some searching online and people suggest to create a folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config with a name that matches the id of HKLM > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Shared Tools > Web Server Extensions > 14.0 > Secure > ConfigDB>Id. Did not fix it. The service continues to crash and no xml files get populated in the folder.

Then, http://www.adventuresinsharepoint.co.uk/2014/05/07/the-sharepoint-2010-timer-service-terminated-with-service-specific-error-2147467259/ suggests "I couldn’t really see anything obvious in the ULS logs but after various troubleshooting steps I fixed this by adding the service account used by the SharePoint Timer Service to the local Administrators group and restarting the Timer Service." The timer service on our sharepoint 2010 machine is logging on as local system account. Anyone with sharepoint 2010 or 2013, what account does your timer service log on with?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You could try to not get liver failure while using it.

Serious answer, I think the knowledge that transfers over the most to other IT areas would be playing with ADRs, and making software packages. You could try creating a package and deploying it to some test computers and then setup updates to deploy as well to those computers.

I already regret my decision to try and use this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Methanar posted:

I already regret my decision to try and use this.

I got a nice hearty chuckle out of this. SCCM is a bitch, a powerful bitch, but still a bitch.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It is without a doubt the most touchy, unstable, infuriating piece of software that I've ever worked with. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to give up working with it. Inevitably some tiny tiny detail will trip up a whole package or deployment. Or the one thing that should' have been simple to do ends up taking days of work to just get started. Part of my problem with it was that it has to be a persons full time job and I was split managing our SCCM environment while doing other things.

Don't let me discourage you completely. If you can get imaging setup properly through SCCM you will have already made a tremendous first step towards learning the product.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One day, MS will come up with something as straightforward as a package manager.

Some day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I will say that for simple deployments of software that dont require any customization Chocolatey has been really great. Install it as part of your base image and then you can just roll out incredibly simple scripts that will install the software line by line. It works well for when you dont necessarily want to publish something in the software catalog but still want to roll it out quickly to users who may need it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I don't know if this is irony talk but PS5's package manager is getting there:colbert: And you can pull chocolatey as a source with "find-package -source chocolatey"

e: It still blows at uninstalling things though, at least on Windows 7

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 22, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I will say that for simple deployments of software that dont require any customization Chocolatey has been really great. Install it as part of your base image and then you can just roll out incredibly simple scripts that will install the software line by line. It works well for when you dont necessarily want to publish something in the software catalog but still want to roll it out quickly to users who may need it.

This is what I do. I dont use it a ton; but every once in a while it's really, really nice to have handy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It is without a doubt the most touchy, unstable, infuriating piece of software that I've ever worked with. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to give up working with it. Inevitably some tiny tiny detail will trip up a whole package or deployment. Or the one thing that should' have been simple to do ends up taking days of work to just get started. Part of my problem with it was that it has to be a persons full time job and I was split managing our SCCM environment while doing other things.

Don't let me discourage you completely. If you can get imaging setup properly through SCCM you will have already made a tremendous first step towards learning the product.

I banged my head on this cannot connect to application server bit for like 2 hours. I don't even know what I did to fix it. For the 4th time I went over the logs, saw that everything was (still) correct, tried the catalog again out of frustration and it starts working.

It would have been nice if at some point technet, SCCM itself, etc would have mentioned that this requires like 8 IIS dependencies instead of letting me go forward with basically nothing.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 22, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That brings up an important point about SCCM. If something doesnt work right away but everything looks right just wait. Sometimes wait like a day. Then magically it starts working. Why? I dont know, but it was a painful lesson to learn.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
SCCM will teach you patience, that's for sure.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

SCCM will teach you patience, that's for sure.

For better or worse it makes your managers learn too

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
"Using SCCM is like building a railroad every time you want to deliver a pizza" --some guy on here a few years back.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

KS posted:

"Using SCCM is like building a railroad every time you want to deliver a pizza" --some guy on here a few years back.

I like this description. It's pretty much 100% on point.

SCCM is awesome. But also sucks. But awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1

what the gently caress kind of naming convention is this