Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
patch just dropped

quote:

Beta 0.9.9b
Changelog:
- Fixed several exploits on Horn of Magnus
- Fixed a secret not properly occurring
- Fixed a crash which could occur if a Loot Rat was alerted by an explosive barrel
- Fixed a common animation crash
- Fixed several startup issues
- Fixed a bug where Rat Ogre would not stop hitting a downed Hero
- Fixed a bug where pressing X on a controller would do nothing
- Fixed a crash when inspecting healing supplies

This limited version consists of 3 out of the full 13 levels, but full progression allowing you to start leveling up and finding loot.

Wonder what "several exploits" means, i know of three that are being used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Longshot007 posted:

The grimoires are both in areas nobody should have been able to find on their own. There is no third tome at the moment, or its so well hidden nobodies found it. Theres a steam guide that shows you exactly where they all are.

My friend and i spent a whole run looking for these things with bots when the level first came out. We found 2 tomes and the grimoire on the limbermill. They are visible if you are spending lot of time looking and getting stabbed by random rats. It's just that it's tough to slow down one's bloodlust to look for books amid a sea of stabbyrats.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I kinda figured that there was something in the lumbermill just because it was this side area with what appeared to be half of a jumping puzzle we could see; we were just never able to figure out how to proceed on it.

Never had any idea about the other grimoire but looking at the video there's these obvious walkway planks so now that I know that those are used I know to look for them when secret hunting in the future.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I bombed an entire troop of stormvermin and the elf told me that I had "Proven my worth today". :3:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Illegal Username posted:

patch just dropped

lol rip ammo room and under horn exploit

time to :gitgud:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The gates of no return are often used for loading purposes too. They won't go away.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Illegal Username posted:

patch just dropped

I've seen four: under the horn itself, hopping from the top platform on top of the horn, using the speed potion trick to jump back to the starting platform and then camping at the ammo box, and there's a couple of fallen beams in one of the corners you can all crawl under and break all enemy pathing. I'm sure there's even more. I wonder if this patch made the third tome on supply and demand visible.

Also please for the love of loving god somebody explain the reason why the swiftbow and the hagbow exist, because the swiftbow does zero damage and the hagbow does zero damage over time and also has no ammo in the bargain. Her other two bows are so good and those are so bad that I'm actively confused.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 19, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Sooo do we get the same 3 maps or something different? I would like something different to test now.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Hypha posted:

Sooo do we get the same 3 maps or something different? I would like something different to test now.

Isn't he full game coming out Friday?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tormented posted:

Isn't he full game coming out Friday?

Ya but i want different things till then. How hard is it to just rotate the maps?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Kanos posted:

Also please for the love of loving god somebody explain the reason why the swiftbow and the hagbow exist, because the swiftbow does zero damage and the hagbow does zero damage over time and also has no ammo in the bargain. Her other two bows are so good and those are so bad that I'm actively confused.

The reason they exist is different play styles and purposes, however they need tuned to be competitive with the other bows.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Great game , still learning the ropes.
Does this have a "black and white mode" after x downs that is reset by heal, like in LFD.
Basically is the strategy the same as LFD in that you shouldn't use heals until you have been knocked down a few times (unless there is a restock nearby) or should you keep your health topped up?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Is there any pros to the ordinary longbow to the Trueflight longbow?
Except for occasional wonky targeting issues

edit: The hagbane is a bit poo poo right now

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 19, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Why are dwarves so much better than any other anything ever?

Serious answers only please.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hammers

Magile
May 20, 2008

Drythe posted:

lol rip ammo room and under horn exploit

time to :gitgud:

Sadly, I just ran a pub game where they did the under horn exploit. It still works.

e: Actually, the patch just updated now for me (weird, since everyone was discussing it while I was in the game). Here's hoping I'm wrong!

ex2: Can now confirm, Speed + Under Horn are fixed

Magile fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 19, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Someone help me out here.

I have an I5-3670k 3.4GHz
I have 16gb of ram
I have a Geforce GTX 660

This isn't amazing, I know, but their min spec is:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9500 @ 2.83GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 /w 1GB VRAM

Why the gently caress can I not run this without it lagging like crazy on medium (i've not tried low yet)? I even turned down a bunch of the usual suspects when it comes to the settings. The optimisation seems really poor which is a shame, because I like this game a whole bunch and the games I did play with my friends despite the stuttering was fantastic.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Hypha posted:

Ya but i want different things till then. How hard is it to just rotate the maps?

How hard is it to wait a week for your new toy?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Positive stereotype of the jovial hardworking, high-functioning alcoholic perhaps? Dwarves have live figured out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Badly Jester posted:

Positive stereotype of the jovial hardworking, high-functioning alcoholic perhaps? Dwarves have live figured out.

Dwarves understand what's important in life.

What's important is Bugman's XXXXXX.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

dogstile posted:

I have 16gb of ram
I have a Geforce GTX 660

Why the gently caress can I not run this without it lagging like crazy on medium (i've not tried low yet)? I even turned down a bunch of the usual suspects when it comes to the settings. The optimisation seems really poor which is a shame, because I like this game a whole bunch and the games I did play with my friends despite the stuttering was fantastic.

Try turning vsync on and capping frames to 60. Yes turning vsync on to increase fps is rear end-backwards but that's beta for you. Games needs a round of optimization patches.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

dogstile posted:

I have 16gb of ram
I have a Geforce GTX 660

I'm suspecting it may be a driver issue with your 660? I know my old 460 started acting up after one driver update or another when Nvidia decided it was getting too long in the tooth or something.
I have a i5-4690K at 3.5ghz, 8gb of RAM and a GTX 770 and it runs pretty much smooth as butter on high with exception for the massive burning body-piles of Skaven at like the Horn of Magnus part (to be expected) :shrug:

e: Also yeah, game still got a bunch of bugs so I expect to see varying performance across similiar computer builds.

Unrelated, but steamspy pegs Vermintide at:
Owners: 39,661 ± 5,324
That's a hefty increase in just a few days.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 19, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr Beens posted:

Great game , still learning the ropes.
Does this have a "black and white mode" after x downs that is reset by heal, like in LFD.
Basically is the strategy the same as LFD in that you shouldn't use heals until you have been knocked down a few times (unless there is a restock nearby) or should you keep your health topped up?

Basically you have "real health" normally til you get knocked down. Someone picks you up and you get grey heath that slowly bleeds out until you are healed, at which point it turns to real heath.

So the best is to wait til you drop then immediately heal so that you get the bonus grey health on top of the regular healing

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

How hard is it to wait a week for your new toy?

I was under the impression that the closed beta had a different set of maps. I would not mind if supply and demand was replaced. I really don't mind either way, just thought there was more to see yet, like a forest level or something. Snark is not necessary here, it is enough that this game is good and doing well.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

Is there any pros to the ordinary longbow to the Trueflight longbow?
Except for occasional wonky targeting issues

According to the reply I got to a ticket I made, trueflight arrows might crash the server/game when used against the ogre. They're working on fixing it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Basically you have "real health" normally til you get knocked down. Someone picks you up and you get grey heath that slowly bleeds out until you are healed, at which point it turns to real heath.

So the best is to wait til you drop then immediately heal so that you get the bonus grey health on top of the regular healing

This requires someone to actually pick you up, which isn't always a given when you're playing with pubs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hypha posted:

I was under the impression that the closed beta had a different set of maps. I would not mind if supply and demand was replaced. I really don't mind either way, just thought there was more to see yet, like a forest level or something. Snark is not necessary here, it is enough that this game is good and doing well.

To be fair to the devs, while 13 is a decent number of maps, it's not a gigantic one and they've already let people play five of them before release. They might end up shuffling the Screaming Bell and the forest ones back in later on in the week, though.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 19, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh man there's a screaming bell level?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Drythe posted:

Oh man there's a screaming bell level?

There is, but the whole point of the level is to break it before they can get it ringing. It's also super short and straight forward, but it's not a bad level design-wise.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i keep getting trinkets

i dont want these bad trinkets i want weapons :gonk:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

McGavin posted:

This requires someone to actually pick you up, which isn't always a given when you're playing with pubs.

I was assuming best case team scenario in the same vein of waiting til you turn grey in L4D

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

McGavin posted:

Going down in this game is way WAY more dangerous than in comparable games too. I would just as soon quaff a potion and not go down.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Coolguye posted:

Going down in this game is way WAY more dangerous than in comparable games too. I would just as soon quaff a potion and not go down.

Yeah. This game gives no fucks about how many gutter runners/packmasters it throws at you, so the longer you stay up the better.

You can still do tactical downs at the like when things are calm (best way to use a potion IMO) but waiting for two downs -> heal is too risky imo.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Coolguye posted:

yeah, it seems like it's a lot harder once someone gets dropped by the rats, and compared to l4d i haven't seen super solo players who are able to beat all the mobs alone. you really feel it when someone goes down during a vermintide, then a runner or packmaster shows up to incapacitate someone else and poo poo gets out of hand

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone explain the Bright Wizard's overcharge mechanic to me? I'm at a loss at how this game handles it. I tend to use my staff until the gauge passes those two white streaks then I switch to sword. I figured out that venting while its red hurts you a little bit. But that's the extent of my knowledge.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If you cast a spell when it's maxed out you will explode and be incapped.

Between the white marks is when you can press r to vent the heat safely. Above that and it costs health to vent the heat.

That's all you really need to know. It doesn't damage you to overheat, as long as you don't cast when you are fully maxed out.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Drythe posted:

If you cast a spell when it's maxed out you will explode and be incapped.

This explosion will also kill the gently caress out of anything near you when it happens. I've used it at low health to take out squads of stormvermin on normal, not sure how much of an impact it has on harder difficulties.

On nightmare and up you probably don't want this to happen ever, though, as I'm fairly certain you'll take out teammates as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is that just a mechanic in place of the ammo or do you get a damage boost while in the red? The only comparison I have is Warhammer Online, where I played a Bright Wizard, and it was a risk vs. reward thing.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The former

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah getting downed even on normal can really easily cause a cascade of death for your team. It's not like L4D where the zombies stick to the down person. Just one or two clam rats can take out a player then suddenly the ten rats they'd normally handle pile on other players and that can overwhelm people really fast. If Youre in the red and you think an ambush or event is coming you should heal. Also if you a couple rats eyeing you but cowering back kill those ficked cause the minute the see your back they charge at you

• Locked thread