Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

https://www.rt.com/news/239937-selfie-stick-ban-versaille-london/

quote:

“The twirling around of hundreds of sticks can become unwittingly dangerous,” Colosseum spokesman Christiano Brughitta told the Associated Press. Two American tourists were arrested last week after carving their names into the 2,000-year-old monument’s walls and then taking a photo with a selfie stick.

eradicate the human race imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

PT6A posted:

Kill everyone that uses a selfie stick, IMO.

Kill the dicks who walk around selling them in major European cities. Every ten feet in Italy a dude would shove one in our face and say "selfie stick? selfie stick?" Then after dark they pull out those loving light-up spinny things so they can gently caress up everyone's pictures.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The Indian people in Rome are amazing, though. Normally they sell their dumb green lasers, usually for 20€, but if you're patient you can negotiate them down to 5€ and below. But if there's only a slight chance of rain coming up in the next minutes they all miraculously have umbrellas all of a sudden.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Erwin posted:

Kill the dicks who walk around selling them in major European cities. Every ten feet in Italy a dude would shove one in our face and say "selfie stick? selfie stick?" Then after dark they pull out those loving light-up spinny things so they can gently caress up everyone's pictures.

Also they all have giant keyrings with various sized Eiffel tower mini statues

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Honj Steak posted:

The Indian people in Rome are amazing, though. Normally they sell their dumb green lasers, usually for 20€, but if you're patient you can negotiate them down to 5€ and below. But if there's only a slight chance of rain coming up in the next minutes they all miraculously have umbrellas all of a sudden.

This is my favourite thing, when it starts raining and they're all magically selling umbrellas. Then the rain goes away and it's back to being 30 degrees and they're pitching their 2E water bottles instead.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Erwin posted:

I always felt that a selfie stick isn't really an impulse purchase, you know? Like... the lines have already been drawn and everybody knows where they stand on the matter of selfie sticks by now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

freebooter posted:

I always felt that a selfie stick isn't really an impulse purchase, you know? Like... the lines have already been drawn and everybody knows where they stand on the matter of selfie sticks by now.

Yeah, but what if you lost or simply forgot to bring your selfie-stick somewhere? You'd have to go literal minutes, possibly even hours, without indulging your overwhelming narcissism! That's why we need to have them available everywhere, all the time!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a way to figure out which Paris museums are closed today? There's a one-day strike, I couldn't get into the Louvre, and only the temporary exhibits at the Orangerie.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm visiting Dublin for 5 days at the end of November along with some friends. 3 of us are celebrating our birthdays, so one night and a hangover day will be spent on that, but there should be lots of time left over for sightseeing.

I'm mostly interested in beer, history and any combination thereof. Aside from the Guinness brewery, I'd love suggestions for older breweries, pubs, museums and architecture.
Renting a car for a day trip isn't out of the question either.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently it's just the Louvre, but I can just finish it tomorrow. What the gently caress is up with people constantly touching the artwork there? It's so loving irritating.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Chainclaw posted:

Any recommended tourist things? I'm poking around online and building a list, but I'm also looking for recommendations.
By the way, I happened to walk past the City Museum (between Senate Square and Market Square) and noticed that it's free. I don't see why you shouldn't pop in, seeing as it's on the way from your hotel to basically anywhere interesting. (It's been at least a decade since I last went there and the only thing I remember is a piece of paper signed by the Czar of Russia (then Grand Duke of Finland), which basically began "We, Czar Alexander of Russia", followed by a long list of titles he held and eventually the Finnish equivalent of "and so on and so forth", only then getting to the matter at hand. I thought it was rather funny.)

Helsinki City Museum in fact comprises six museums around the city, all of which are free. You can read more about them here.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Apparently it's just the Louvre, but I can just finish it tomorrow. What the gently caress is up with people constantly touching the artwork there? It's so loving irritating.

hey idiot, most of them are scratch and sniff.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Any suggestions for Paris on NYE? Got three nights free hotel near CDG, only things I can find online are 600 Euro cabarets :/

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is the Stockholm Card worth it for a 5 day stay in the city? I'm arriving tomorrow (from Oslo, via train) as a solo traveler and my hotel is on Djurgarden, so it seems like it's worth it for the Djurgarden ferry and public transit alone. I plan on visiting several museums/attractions (Vasa, Skansen, Nobel, City Hall, Royal Palace) and I will likely also take a canal tour and a walking tour.

Also, any suggestions for must-see attractions and recommended restaurants are highly welcome!

Edit: I'm also a big fan of visiting/eating at food markets, like the Boqueria in Barcelona or Borough Market in London. Is there anything similar in Stockholm?

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 14, 2015

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Any good shows I should book for next week in Amsterdam? Going with my girlfriend, I'd love good suggestions.

Also, any good restaurants Dutch goons recommend? Where I can have dinner/lunch for something like 20-30€ per person.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

orange sky posted:

Any good shows I should book for next week in Amsterdam? Going with my girlfriend, I'd love good suggestions.

Also, any good restaurants Dutch goons recommend? Where I can have dinner/lunch for something like 20-30€ per person.

Not a Dutch goon, but Bird Snackbar on Zeedijk is one of the best Thai places I've ever eaten at. Maoz is a great falafel chain around the city.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

surrender posted:

Not a Dutch goon, but Bird Snackbar on Zeedijk is one of the best Thai places I've ever eaten at. Maoz is a great falafel chain around the city.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

orange sky posted:

Shows? You'll have to be more specific than that.
For bands, check out the schedules of some of the bigger music places:
http://www.melkweg.nl/en/agenda
http://www.paradiso.nl/web/English-Agenda.htm

Restaurants? Well, Indonesian food is the thing to get here, just like Indian food in Britain. Puri Mas is a good Indonesian restaurant that I liked. Sampurna is supposed to be good for that too, but full whenever I tried to go there.
For Dutch food, there's Winkel 43 and Hap-Hmm serving cheap common dishes with fresh ingredients, and changing menus. Pancake Bakery on Prinsengracht for the typical pancakes (those are dinner, not breakfast). There's a good and cheap fish place in the North, Royalvis & Traiteur, though the opening times were a bit limited last time I checked. Some nice bars for eating simple dishes are De Brabantse Aap and De Zotte (they also have loads of Belgian beers) I have no idea about higher-end places. There are various hipstery places with nice views along the IJ in the North, such as Pllek. Bistro Zuidlande is apparently good in the west. There's an interesting African restaurant in the east, Serengeti. Los Pilones is good for Mexican. The Foodhallen is a big indoor food court with all kinds of stuff. For lunch the place on the top floor of the public library is nice, near the central station, mostly for the view. Also seconding Bird Snackbar as a good Thai place.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Spending a weekend in Riga, any recommendations for good places to eat? A lot of the places we've been past so far have tended towards the touristy, but we're looking for somewhere a little bit more off the beaten track, and ideally more traditional Latvian food rather than American/Italian/all the Japanese restaurants that appear to be around here for some reason. We're happy to go outside of the Old Town for a better experience and hopefully lower prices. Also places to go for a few drinks tomorrow night that aren't Irish pubs or strip clubs.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Hey fellow Sox fan, I was in Riga in August. I ate at Lido a few times. The clientele seemed to be a mix of tourists and locals. It has a cafeteria style layout with hearty Latvian food and they make their own beers.

I was surprised at seeing three different, large outdoor restaurants with a rockabilly theme in the old town. Also, the American bros on the bridge next to the Freedom Monument spitting their PUA/Roosh V bullshit on the pretty local women. Pretty gross to me. The art noveau buildings east of the old town are incredible though, despite all the annoyances in the touristic areas.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 17, 2015

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Xeno posted:

Any suggestions for Paris on NYE? Got three nights free hotel near CDG, only things I can find online are 600 Euro cabarets :/

NYE isn't really a thing in Paris — as in, there aren't fireworks. People tend to hang out with friends. Just go to a bar or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Julio Cruz posted:

Spending a weekend in Riga, any recommendations for good places to eat? A lot of the places we've been past so far have tended towards the touristy, but we're looking for somewhere a little bit more off the beaten track, and ideally more traditional Latvian food rather than American/Italian/all the Japanese restaurants that appear to be around here for some reason. We're happy to go outside of the Old Town for a better experience and hopefully lower prices. Also places to go for a few drinks tomorrow night that aren't Irish pubs or strip clubs.

A place I'd recommend is called Muklajs. They had a lovely lamb stew last time I went. For beer go to either next door to Muklajs to Alus Celle or a place called Beer Fox.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Xeno posted:

If you're not going to a friend's party, people usually hang out on the Champs Elysées or at the Eiffel Tower.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

pylb posted:

If you're not going to a friend's party, people usually hang out on the Champs Elysées or at the Eiffel Tower.

The only people that hang out at those places are tourists that don't know they're aren't fireworks.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Omits-Bagels posted:

The only people that hang out at those places are tourists that don't know they're aren't fireworks.

As someone who's lived in Paris close to 25 years, not really?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

pylb posted:

As someone who's lived in Paris close to 25 years, not really?

There are also kids from the suburbs that set cars on fire.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I'm starting to plan a trip to Europe for December. I'm planning on it being for about three weeks. I was thinking of doing some combination of Istanbul, Sarajevo, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, and finishing up on the French Riviera. Any advice, goons?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
No time for an effortpost and just off of the top of my head, that itinerary seem very crowded (8 locales in 21 days). Istanbul and Rome are easily a 7 day stay each, while the French Riviera is not the easiest place to travel to. Venice is the pits, I don't see the charm in it but maybe you do. I just spent 2.5 years living in northern Italy and my recommendations would favor Padua, Verona and Bologna/Ravenna over Venice.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BgRdMchne posted:

I'm starting to plan a trip to Europe for December. I'm planning on it being for about three weeks. I was thinking of doing some combination of Istanbul, Sarajevo, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, and finishing up on the French Riviera. Any advice, goons?

You're going to spend a ton of time traveling with that itinerary. In 3 weeks, limit yourself to 3 or 4 cities and explore them well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trip report from my 2 weeks in Spain

San Sebastion: One of the Basque cities, San Sebastion had the best food overall of any of the cities I visited in Spain. One thing that most people don't mention is that pintxos are bar food. Pintxos averaged around the same quality of food as a decent restaurant as long as you get them fresh, which is fantastic for bar food. Don't order pintxos that are on display, they've usually been out for a couple of hours and the fresh/hot ones are substantially better. Some bars that we tried that had really, really good pintxos were: Tamboril (specialized in frying everything); Borda Berri; Casa Urola (also has a restaurant upstairs that I can recommend); Bar Txepetxa. The restaurants I ate at were all good, but not exceptionally so; with the proviso that my wife had some of the best cheesecake in her life at Ganbara. The bars are really where its at in San Sebastion. All in all, it's a lovely city, but I'm not fond of bars so really wish I'd listened to Goon advice to visit one of the other Basque cities like Logrono. My wife loved the place though and it was her favorite city.

We went in October which is a little after the main tourist season here. The streets weren't crowded but weren't empty either. We had no trouble finding personal tours, but the best hotels do fill up a couple weeks in advance even so late in the year. The pintxo tour by Just in San Sebastian was my favorite part of our visit. Our tour guide, Cristina Castellanos Stephens, was fantastic. She spoke both Spanish and English like a native (probably Basque too but I don't know enough to tell). She did a great job of showing us the better places to get pintxos and a bunch of tricks on how to order and other trips that made the rest of our stay waaay better. I can't say enough good things about her; we were so happy with the pintxo tour that we signed up for a cooking class and loved that too. The cook/teacher, Íñigo Zeberio, was friendly, spoke good English, and was happy to explain everything until we understood. The food was so good we went out right afterwards to buy ingredients to make it again when we got home. To put this in perspective, I disliked virtually every other tour/guide this trip; these people were fantastic.

The beach in San Sebastion is the nicest I've ever seen. Wide, broad, very gentle slope with a beautiful view and pure clean sand. The water in October was a little chilly but there was still a good number of people out tanning and a few crazy enough, like me, to swim. Oh, and the beach was apparently top-optional. That was a big surprise for a simple USA country boy like me, but everyone seemed to be casual about it. I didn't see any creepers staring at the topless tanners or see anyone looking uncomfortable. A very nice beach.

We stayed at Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra here. The location is absolutely fantastic but everything else about it was pretty bad. It's in the upper price range of hotels in the area but the bed was awful. So bad that I slept sitting up in the hotel chairs a few nights because they were more comfortable than the bed. Our supposedly queen bed was actually two twins of different heights shoved together with a single sheet stretched across both. One morning a siren woke us up at oh-my-god-so-early-o-clock; the person at the front desk didn't understand English well enough to tell me what was going on until I switched to Spanish at which point all I got out of her was that it was coming from a building across the street. 1/5 would not piss on it if it was on fire.

Barcelona: We ended up staying in Barcelona for ~24 hours so I didn't see much of the city. Barcelona has several wonderful buildings by the architect Gaudí. The most famous of which is La Sagrada Familia. Construction on La Sagrada Familia started in 1882 and is not scheduled to be completed until 2028 but you can still take tours inside it and get pretty high up. It's defintely worth a visit if you're in the city. There's a park (with long lines and a substantial entrance fee) that has some more examples of Gaudí's work.

The beach here is excellent, especially considering it is in a major city, if slightly less fantastic than the one in San Sebastion. Even in October the beach was teeming with people all up and down it's miles long stretch of coast. We ate at Salamanca which was pretty good and the prices were reasonable.

Las Ramblas was incredibly disappointing and not worth the time to visit it at all. Someone either tried to pickpocket my wife or groped her rear end; either way she wasn't amused and the street wasn't noticeably more interesting than any other street in Barcelona. The tour buses were comparable to those in Madrid, if somewhat more crowded.

I was only here for a day, but there was something about the feel of the city I really didn't like and I was delighted to leave. We stayed at the airport hotel which was not conveniently located to either the airport or the town. It was otherwise typical for an airport hotel 3/5.

Seville: The oldtown portion of this sprawling city is absolutely lovely. Full of winding streets guaranteed to get you lost, even with google maps. Don't even try to use the maps provided by the tourist information office or your hotel, they're worse than useless and got us more lost than just figuring out a rough direction to our destination and just walking. Every twist and turn seems to have something worth seeing though. We found a small courtyard with the ruins of Roman columns just two turns away from our hotel. Lots and lots of cool stuff to look at in walking distance from any hotel in the oldtown and tons of smaller churches as well as the 2nd/3rd largest Christian church in the world.

The arabian baths here are fantastic. If you have a chance to go to the Aire de Seville baths; seize it with both hands. Me and my wife will treasure our memories of our wonderful visits for years to come.

Seville is where I felt like I learned the most about dining in Spain because there are good restaurants, bad restaurants, and famous restaurants that are still bad scattered throughout the city. It took me awhile to work out some good rules for picking restaurants, but once I started following these two rules, every restaurant I tried was good. 1) Don't eat anywhere near a tourist area (the street full of restaurants leading to the cathedral is a notable exception to this since the food there is adequate, but all the other restaurants nearby I recommend avoiding). 2) Don't eat from 1600 - 1900. Most things close between 4 & 7 for an afternoon siesta or something and every time I tried a new restaurant during this time I regretted it. The two places that I particularly remember as being good are El Rincon de Murillo and Leivis.

The other thing I learned was that trying to squeeze a meal in between other activities was invariably frustrating. Allocating less than two hours for a long leisurely meal always resulted in me being annoyed with the waiters taking half an hour to get or order or some other ridiculously long wait. If we did have enough time for a lengthy meal we enjoyed relaxing with another glass of wine or something and people watching.

We took a bunch of tours from the tourist information office and I didn't like any of them. The tour of the cathedral was tolerable though. There are also a lot of carriages at the bigger tourist stops and we really enjoyed taking a carriage tour. The carriage driver was really chatty, in Spanish. On my own I'd have hardly understood a thing but fortunately my wife is fluent in Spanish so it was a lot of fun.

We stayed at Hotel las Casas de la Judería. We stayed in their most expensive suite here since it was our honeymoon. I don't regret the price at all. The room had both a nice standup shower and a separate jacuzzi bath (big enough for one). The staff was helpful and polite. Even if you don't stay here, it's worth a visit just to explore the inside. It's a collection of several unconnected 'palaces' and is as wonderfully twisty as Seville with lots of courtyards, fountains, artificial rivers, and hallways to explore. The underground levels had a bunch of famous Latin phrases on the walls and floors which amused me. The location was very convenient for walking around old town, but getting a taxi (to the airport when we left) was complicated. Good for pedestrians, not so much for driving even though it had it's own underground parking. 5/5, would stay at again. One warning, the restaurants right in front of the hotel were not very good, nor were the closest pastry stores on the same street. There was also a Petite Palace like the one we stayed at in Madrid that would probably be a little cheaper and is in almost as nice a location that would be a good place to stay too. All in all, Seville was my favorite city.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BgRdMchne posted:

Three weeks is a loooong trip. I just got back from a two week trip and even though we took it pretty easy and had a couple of days that were just for relaxing we were very ready to come home by the end. I'm not sure what we could have cut, but neither of us would have minded leaving a day or two earlier.

I'll also second what everyone else has said and suggest you visit fewer places.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LLSix posted:

The arabian baths here are fantastic. If you have a chance to go to the Aire de Seville baths; seize it with both hands. Me and my wife will treasure our memories of our wonderful visits for years to come.

Glad you enjoyed it so much! It was one of my favourite parts of Sevilla as well.

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013
I'll have about 10 days in May 2016 including flight from US. Should I go to Belgium and Luxembourg or Belgium and a city in Netherlands. To see museums, castles, chocolate things, hiking and whatever. Thanks! Trying to nail down where to go before I figure out itinerary.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

After looking at ticket prices to Eastern Europe and trying to find train routes around Istanbul and Sarajevo, I'm rethinking my vacation. I can do up to three weeks after Thanksgiving and am now thinking of just flying into somewhere in Italy round trip and playing the rest of it by ear. How is the train and bus travel around Western Europe, how easy is it to find a cheap to moderately priced hotel in the cities, and where should I fly into and out of?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

After looking at ticket prices to Eastern Europe and trying to find train routes around Istanbul and Sarajevo, I'm rethinking my vacation. I can do up to three weeks after Thanksgiving and am now thinking of just flying into somewhere in Italy round trip and playing the rest of it by ear. How is the train and bus travel around Western Europe, how easy is it to find a cheap to moderately priced hotel in the cities, and where should I fly into and out of?

Train and bus travel is all good and comprehensive. It's also fairly easy to find highly-rated hotels at a decent price ($80-$100 a night) and there's usually AirBNB's available as well. I imagine they might be priced quite competitively as well since you're going in the off-season.

The obvious choice of city to fly to is Rome, but depending on where you live there might be flights to Venice which is a good place to start a round-trip from since there are good connections to a lot of places in every direction.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

picklefish posted:

I'll have about 10 days in May 2016 including flight from US. Should I go to Belgium and Luxembourg or Belgium and a city in Netherlands. To see museums, castles, chocolate things, hiking and whatever. Thanks! Trying to nail down where to go before I figure out itinerary.

Hiking and castles are definitely a thing in Luxembourg, but if you're looking for anything else, I'd go to almost any Dutch city over Luxembourg. And unless you're driving, it's probably a lot easier to get to the Netherlands from Brussels or any place in the western half of Flanders. Hell, even if you're driving. Plenty of castles too, if you know where to look for them. Near Amsterdam, there's the Muiderslot. Near Utrecht, there's Kasteel De Haar and not far from that is the little castle where the exiled German emperor lived (Huis Doorn). There's a couple more in the southeast that I know of, but none of them are as tourist-ready as the ones near Utrecht and Amsterdam. In Brabant and Limburg you can just find random castles in every other town, but they might be in use for other stuff.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 20, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The city of Luxembourg has nice views due to its interesting geography, and it looks pretty different from Dutch towns, but otherwise it's just a small city with nothing to do. In the countryside there is indeed hiking and castles, the valley on the German border is pretty. Also a good area for bikers I heard. But it's difficult to get around the country without a car, at least more so than in the Netherlands. The city is also a bit in the middle of nowhere compared to the rest of the Benelux region so it takes longer to get to, gotta cross the Ardennes.

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013
Ok that really helps. Going to do as much in Belgium as I want and if any time left over head somewhere in the Netherlands. Thanks!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I agree with Entropist. I had the chance to go to Luxembourg for work three separate times last year. Even the people that I interacted with at the EU complex were apologizing to me about how boring it is. My meal allowance was 25 euro and it was difficult to find a meal with a couple of drinks that didn't exceed that amount.

The cheapest places to stay are near the train station (like everywhere else). A ravine cuts off this part of the city from the high/old town. The bridge that traverses the ravine has some nice photo opportunities. There is also a UNESCO World Heritage site, a network of underground fortifications, which may not be exciting. But other than that? :shrug:

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I stayed in a hostel which was located in the same building as a kebab place and was ran by its owners, that was relatively cheap! :v:
Don't remember if we had kebab for breakfast.