Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Leckie's top 10 favorite SF books. I thought this list was notable due to the complete and abject lack of Iain Banks:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/68381-the-10-best-science-fiction-books.html

Lot of good picks on there tho, who would you toss to put Banks on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

fritz posted:

Mieville.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

Honestly? Frankenstein. It's influential but I wouldn't really consider it a good book.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Apparently Leckie isn't particularly a fan or follower of Banks:

Ann Leckie posted:

I am occasionally surprised at how frequently Ancillary Justice is compared to Banks. But of course, he did the ship AI thing, so that makes sense. But I think that similarity is mostly superficial, and he was doing something quite different. I mean, in terms of his overall project. And as it happens, I’ve only read Consider Phlebas—quite some time ago, actually—and, after I sold AJ, The Hydrogen Sonata. I enjoyed both of them, of course. But they’re not part of me the same way that, say, Cherryh’s Foreigner books are, or the way Norton is. And I wasn’t responding or replying to Banks, in the way writers sometimes do, either. But of course, Banks was one of the greats. The world is the poorer for his loss.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Banks is one of those writers who I can accept must be objectively good since so many people rave about him, but I just don't get it. I've read Look to Windward, Consider Phlebas and Player of Games (in that order) and found none of them really rose above the level of average, readable sci-fi pulp. :shrug:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Use of Weapons was the book that bumped up from 'good' to 'great' for me.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Jesus gently caress it blows my mind, because I figured at least a part of her AI ship stuff just _had _ to be influenced by her. The world is poorer for her not reading Banks in his entirety.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

freebooter posted:

Banks is one of those writers who I can accept must be objectively good since so many people rave about him, but I just don't get it. I've read Look to Windward, Consider Phlebas and Player of Games (in that order) and found none of them really rose above the level of average, readable sci-fi pulp. :shrug:

Agreed. I tend not to get involved in Banks discussions, because he's not really my cup of tea. I'm not saying it's bad, because it's not. I just don't find his writing compelling enough to put him on my "Oh my god!" list.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
When things appear in the Best X Ever lists, that's because collectively more people like it than like whatever more niche or more divisive thing. It doesn't mean you or really any individual person is going to find it the best item.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's not a collective list though?
And I honestly thought her writing was influneced by Banks too. Interesting to find out it's not and she doesn't even like his books.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

freebooter posted:

Look to Windward should be read once you have understood the Banks universe. My favorite book by Banks as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That's not a collective list though?
And I honestly thought her writing was influneced by Banks too. Interesting to find out it's not and she doesn't even like his books.

That's a little inaccurate. She said she liked them, but didn't adore them.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I noticed that Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher, the first book in the new trilogy, Transformation, set in the Polity universe, is currently on sale for $1.99 on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P6U51SK/

Probably US only, but easily fixed for non-US residents:
Add a new US address in Your Account/Manage Address Book. Either pick a random one or use a friends address.
The go to Your Account/Digital Content/Manage Your Content and Devices, hit the Settings tab and change the country setting by selecting the new US address.
I use a Danish credit card, and have had no problems switching between my Danish address, that uses the International Kindle store, and the US address of a friend in CA, still using the same card to purchase books for a couple of years now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Finally got around to finishing Baru Cormorant, just wanted to say it was quite good :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a little inaccurate. She said she liked them, but didn't adore them.

This is the internet, the only valid positions are "this is the greatest thing since sex" or "this is literally worse than Hitler."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

I noticed that Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher, the first book in the new trilogy, Transformation, set in the Polity universe, is currently on sale for $1.99 on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P6U51SK/

Kindle price shows up as $19.31 for me. In the US. Love the Polity, but I'll pass at that price.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

Kindle price shows up as $19.31 for me. In the US. Love the Polity, but I'll pass at that price.
Yeah, it's back again at the regular price. It wasn't an announced daily deal yesterday or today. I guess it could have been one of those Amazon Gold Box digital deals, but it doesn't show up there as ended either.
Perhaps Jeff Bezos just thought I needed a good deal, or more likely it was a fluke.

I just double checked and yup, I still only paid $1.99 :)
I guess it pays off checking your wishlist once in a whole and filter by "Items with price drops"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

How is it? I enjoyed the Polity books, but the first book of the Owner trilogy was pretty bad.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ToxicFrog posted:

How is it? I enjoyed the Polity books, but the first book of the Owner trilogy was pretty bad.
Haven't read it, as I just bought it, but it seems like people are pretty happy with him returning to the Polity universe. He finished all three before his wife died, and have just done editing on the last two.

Only last week did he mention in a blog post that he finally started writing again on a regular schedule. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what he writes next.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm reading the latest Mistborn novel, Shadows of Self, and it's kind of funny how little Sanderson cares about making sure you're up to speed with the setting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

I'm reading the latest Mistborn novel, Shadows of Self, and it's kind of funny how little Sanderson cares about making sure you're up to speed with the setting.

I guess not every series can have a rundown of what the Blue Beetle is.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That actually sounds like an improvement since I gave up the last one I tried on account of it feeling like a babysitters club book in how much it dumped on you right at the start.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

neongrey posted:

That actually sounds like an improvement since I gave up the last one I tried on account of it feeling like a babysitters club book in how much it dumped on you right at the start.

Yeah this one is much better at not doing info-dumps of the previous book. At it's worst it makes contextual references that make you go "Oh, right. They're referring thing that happened last book (or original trilogy)". Unless you're the type that immediately hits yourself in the head with a hammer after reading a book, I can't see how that's anything but a positive.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I remembered nothing except the bare basics from Alloy of Law (two lawmen type dudes named Wax and Wayne, eat metals for magic, His uncle was up to something) but Shadows of Self was fine to follow. I think it helps that there aren't five plus characters in different parts of the world following entirely different plots. But spoiler for Alloy of Law I still can't remember exactly what his uncle was up to. It involved women in some capacity

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrFlibble posted:

I remembered nothing except the bare basics from Alloy of Law (two lawmen type dudes named Wax and Wayne, eat metals for magic, His uncle was up to something) but Shadows of Self was fine to follow. I think it helps that there aren't five plus characters in different parts of the world following entirely different plots. But spoiler for Alloy of Law I still can't remember exactly what his uncle was up to. It involved women in some capacity

Well, there are two possibilities for the women. Since allomancy and ferruchemy are hereditary, he might want to use them in some kind of breeding program. But that seems like a hell of a long term plan. Or he will use hemalurgy to steal their powers and recreate someone like the Lord Ruler, a full mistborn and full ferruchemist combined. Though that wouldn't explain why they only kidnapped women. We're probably still missing something. As for his larger plan, we know even less about that than we can guess about his plan for the women. So it's no surprise that you can't remember what his uncle was up to, we just don't know yet.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yo, people gotta read Zachary Jernigan's No Return, it's probably the most truly original, unique and dope fantasy I've read in a long time. I don't understand how something this excellent coulda been slept on so hard by SF&F fans and the sf&f internet community in general, it even got a super badass cover that makes you wanna read it:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Because Night Shade was crashing and burning when it came out, so it got virtually no exposure and was hard to come by originally. That's not a problem now, and, hell, wasn't really a problem six months after it's hardcover release, but by then the damage was done.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Because Night Shade was crashing and burning when it came out, so it got virtually no exposure and was hard to come by originally. That's not a problem now, and, hell, wasn't really a problem six months after it's hardcover release, but by then the damage was done.

Well I hope that damage get's rectified and the peoples always saying "where's the well written, for-real non formulaic fantasy ?" actually follow their recommendation beggary to an actual book that more than meets their imagined requirements instead of just settling for whatever already's been beat to death with false recs cuz of internet dominating publisher house hype.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A person can always reread the earlier stuff. Plus Sanderson writes fast enough that most people would still remember the overarching plot and most of the important details of prior books. Assuming you still know the setting is better than a chapter (or more) of recap writing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why is Lowtax so angry on that cover?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

savinhill posted:

Yo, people gotta read Zachary Jernigan's No Return, it's probably the most truly original, unique and dope fantasy I've read in a long time. I don't understand how something this excellent coulda been slept on so hard by SF&F fans and the sf&f internet community in general, it even got a super badass cover that makes you wanna read it:

Oh! That's someone else's arm, not a really weird leg.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

savinhill posted:

I remember passing on it because it looked like it was going to be a little too much of the ultraviolence for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

Not sure if serious but I can't imagine the deviantart cover helped there.
edit: drat, reading up on it, it actually does look interesting. What the gently caress is with that cover though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 19, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if serious but I can't imagine the deviantart cover helped there.
edit: drat, reading up on it, it actually does look interesting. What the gently caress is with that cover though.

Most authors don't have any say in what their covers are going to look like. 99% of the time if a book (from a legitimate publisher) has a bad cover the author knows it and doesn't like it either.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

savinhill posted:

I remember reading the goodreads blurb on this a couple of months back and the use of the word "erotic" to describe the novel quickly persuaded me to move on. The novel might be all fine and everything, but I think I can be forgiven for passing up on a genre book with that word attached to it by its marketing. Marketing can be misleading and godawful, but there are so many books out there that I have no need to take that kind of chance.

Sucks for the author, of course.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

savinhill posted:

The kindle version costs more than the hard cover, which is a nice touch. I assume the publisher has invested in concrete barriers and a good fire suppression system at their office.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

I would agree in some instances with Mieville, but I thought Embassytown was strong.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

savinhill posted:

This is weird, because the pull quote says, "this is a good and important book," but the cover says, "this is pulpy nonsense." And while I'd read either of those two options, them trying to co-exist makes me really skeptical.

Also, if I didn't like Player of Games how likely am I to like other Banks novels?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

This is weird, because the pull quote says, "this is a good and important book," but the cover says, "this is pulpy nonsense." And while I'd read either of those two options, them trying to co-exist makes me really skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Never forget that covers are typically designed by publishers, with authors having little to no control over that content.

That's not always true (I think that Saturn's Children cover was actually even worse at one point and Stross managed to get them to tone it down a little? and many publishers do work very carefully with authors to make sure they're happy with their covers) but...