Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

There have been those huge shields with slam moves but they've always felt completely useless to me

yeah, those moves need to guard break/stun 100% of the time or theyre worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I really can't stress enough how sick these baulder knights are. On the spear ones, if you dodge to the shield side their head kinda follows you & shield slam you but if you go around the other side behind them the can jab you with the back of their spear

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm playing dark souls 1 without a shield so I can finally see the dlc. I haven't played this forever and I miss DS2 rolling a lot. Rolling while locked on seems pretty weak and I guess I just have to get used to not being locked on all the time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

apropos to nothing posted:

I read somewhere that there are parrying shields and then there's other shields where instead of parrying with l2 they have a special sword arts type attack or move set.

i very rarely parry in these games (well, except gun parrying in BB), so this sounds great to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parrying the lord of cinder to death is badass

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

i love that Artorias is p much just gwyn on crack and un-parryable. that fight is amazing

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

holy poo poo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i still remember Artorias's move set

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

tumor looking batty posted:

i still remember Artorias's move set

It's important.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

fighting him normally is soooo much more fun dude.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Benny D posted:

Some stuff from the ds3 stress test:

You can charge heavy attacks like in bloodborne
Two estus flasks, one for health and the other refills your "sword art" / mana meter. Haven't seen any spells yet but it seems implied that magic will use the demons souls mana style instead of having a limited number of casts
Enemies that are kicked/corpses kicked off after backstabbing have full collision. There was one part where he kicked a mob and it flew backwards and bowled over all the monsters behind it
Some of the more dangerous monsters in early gameplay are clearly reskinned versions of bloodborne mobs. Those ft executioner guys for instance appear in several places with the exact same moveset but they're wearing fat fluted armor
This has been said already but the world looks incredible & definitely has more of the dark souls 1 feeling of distance & isolation.
Item called "ember" that seems to function like a humanity. It isn't explained but when its used it says "CINDER RESTORED" & your character glows with these cracking flames & your health goes up about 50% & sprinting no longer consumes stamina.
"KNIGHT" style enemies won't let you circle strafe around them. They'll swing their shields off to the side and even back behind them to smack you and keep you in front of them.
There are little stones you can offer flames to that give you bits of lore and backstory like the little glowy spots in bloodborne
The first area is seriously massive and it encourages exploration, there's tons of little hidden pathways & rooftops and you can go pretty much anywhere you can see. It feels like a much bigger & fancier version of 1-1 but nonlinear. The world is interconnected & shortcuts are used to link everything
Throwing knives feel like pebbles in the sense that difficult enemies have a lot of overlapping patrols & you need to pull them apart to keep from getting overwhelmed. He got a shitload of knives but they don't do any real damage
Red eye knights are back
weapon resins are plentiful but the effect doesn't last very long, maybe 15-20 seconds

Edit music is incredible.

weeping

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i love that Artorias is p much just gwyn on crack and un-parryable. that fight is amazing

not parrying gwyn probly better fight than artorias IMO. artorias gives u breathing space now and again since he jumps around a lot + charges up 4x so its not as tense.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Benny D posted:

The game does not warn you when you've been invaded

Edit never mind apparently that's a known bug in the test

qq ... that would be so cool now that i think about it.

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

fighting him normally is soooo much more fun dude.

yeah fighting gwyn legit is intense. i had more trouble with that than artorias personally

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I've never parried Gwyn. I respect him too much as an end boss to trivialize the fight

Soral
May 30, 2009

i've never fought gwyn without the solaire summon because i like solaire a lot and want to give him a triumphant ending to his story

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I thought Gehrman was a really fun boss fight, felt like Gwyn in a good way

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Soral posted:

i've never fought gwyn without the solaire summon because i like solaire a lot and want to give him a triumphant ending to his story

same. solaire must kill his son

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I never fought gwyn too much as I barely play ng+ and just roll new characters when I get to the kiln

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt know i could parry gwyn the first few times i fought him and he is a motherfucker. the only break you get is when he goes in for a grab and thats just barely enough for an estus

artorias and manus had very similar levels of aggression, they just had more punishable big flashy special attacks

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
gywns a big pussy with a high statability shield aswell but I won't play that way anymore lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Bloodborne is so good I want to cry

Soral
May 30, 2009

apropos to nothing posted:

Bloodborne is so good I want to cry

uhh, wow, okay

Soral
May 30, 2009

maybe this thread is for you http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747515

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
thanks, been looking for a thread to post in

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Dark Souls - Prepare to Cry - The Fire Bomb Throwing Hollow Next to the First Fog Wall When You Enter the Undead Burg

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

gywn wasn't very hard if you put on fire resistant clothes from the idiot fire giant iirc. or the black arour set

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been playing one of these games nearly continuously for the past.... uh 3 years maybe? i love this series so much.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i got to the three yarnham guys in the forest and homeward boned out of there to spend my 80k bloodballs.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious loyall X posted:

i got to the three yarnham guys in the forest and homeward boned out of there to spend my 80k bloodballs.

that fight is very fun, i hope you enjoy it

Soral
May 30, 2009

the shadow squad is a cool fight

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Soral posted:

the shadow squad is a cool fight

it pwns

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

It sound like were at the same part of this game :wotwot::hf::mufasa:

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

thats what i did too when i met them

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Skylark posted:

It sound like were at the same part of this game :wotwot::hf::mufasa:

:wotwot:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, I just bought this game and I've been stuck at the second lantern in Central Yarnham for a few days now. Not really sure how to beat these two warewolves on the bridge. Seems pretty rough for the beginning of the game, I beat Dark Souls last month and this feels drastically harder then anything in Undead Burg or Undead Parish in that game. Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics. Is there no shop yet? I'm not huge on the weapon I picked and I wanna try something else? Can I level up yet?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I just bought this game and I've been stuck at the second lantern in Central Yarnham for a few days now. Not really sure how to beat these two warewolves on the bridge. Seems pretty rough for the beginning of the game, I beat Dark Souls last month and this feels drastically harder then anything in Undead Burg or Undead Parish in that game. Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics. Is there no shop yet? I'm not huge on the weapon I picked and I wanna try something else? Can I level up yet?

Can't level up until you beat the boss at the end of that bridge. I threw firebombs at the wolves my first time.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Evil Eagle posted:

Can't level up until you beat the boss at the end of that bridge. I threw firebombs at the wolves my first time.

you can find insight around the aqueducts area and use that to bring the doll alive iirc

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
you can also go around the wolves and never agro them if you take the shortcut through the area with the dog cages and then into the 2 story building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

You'll be at that lantern the longest of any in the game. Learn how to parry if you can't, and if you explore you can find some different armor, insight which will unlock the leveling, and a few different weapons.

The miniboss that has the other starting options is right before the first elevator.

A good spear is in the sewer near the mean old woman house who asks for help.

fuck. marry. t-rex fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 20, 2015