Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

In desperate hopes of avoiding the poo poo that's continuing and the poo poo that's about to happen, Scott and pals cannot stop ceaselessly multiplying divinities.

Whatever The Hell That Is posted:

Imagine two principles, here in poetic personification. The first is the Goddess of Cancer, the second the Goddess of Everything Else. If visual representations would help, you can think of the first with the claws of a crab, and the second a dress made of feathers of peacocks.

That doesn't help at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Also the two goddesses thing is ripped from the comic book "Lucifer", where it's supposed to be a dumb idea come up with by a couple of dead English teenagers. I'm pretty sure that's where this guy got it because these people are clearly the sort who get life lessons by badly misinterpreting old Vertigo comics.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What we need is a strongman willing to rape Leftists with dogs.

We haven't got the strongman yet, but we are raping Afghan prisoners with dogs.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
People on MetaFilter criticize SSC:
https://www.metafilter.com/153888/The-Library-of-Scott-Alexandria

Discussion of the same ensues back on SSC:
http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/10/18/ot-30-comment-knowledge/#comment-246751

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

We haven't got the strongman yet, but we are raping Afghan prisoners with dogs.

If an article title is a question, the answer can be assumed to be "no."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Did you even read the article or do you like dismissing things with thought-terminating cliches because you're a :smuggo: piece of poo poo?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Did you even read the article or do you like dismissing things with thought-terminating cliches because you're a :smuggo: piece of poo poo?

The latter, obviously.

Edit: More seriously:

quote:

Though his account of dogs being used to rape prisoners at Bagram is unconfirmed, the practice is not without precedent.

In other words, there's no real evidence for it, but similar things have happened before, proving that it's possible, which is almost as good!

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Oct 19, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the whole anime alt-right thing is funny to me because anime fandom in the US is actually basically the youngest, least white, least male nerd fandom. there's a reason Steven Universe is the first high profile animated show by a female creator and is also anime as gently caress, and it isn't that white male STEMlords-turned-wannabe Catholic theologians like anime. people of all political leanings seem to like to ascribe 'likes anime' as one of the primary character traits of their enemies

that's without even touching the whole 'Japan is an island full of subhuman neonazis' thing, because that derail will be even shittier than this one

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yes the grimdark edgy show about little girls turning into monsters because aliens harvest their emotional energy is totally One Of The Good Ones

correct

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Oct 19, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like Judge Dredd, i really feel we need someone like him to straighten things out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

quote:

I find material like this easier to read while listening to this self-aware Lil Dicky song.

This comment is kind of perfect.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Metafilter's not perfect, but it's been dragged by a bunch of its users toward being less accepting of outright dickery. The site used to have a problem where they'd rather have somebody explaining calmly that racial and sexual minorities are awful than somebody else telling them to gently caress off, and you can still get away with rather a lot if you know how to be "civil" about it, but it's better than it was.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Does his column that apparently sparked such a furor exist online/at all? I didn't find it, but I'm cell-posting so my netfu is pretty weak atm. I'd be interested in seeing how close his version of events jibes with reality.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Here it is

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

quote:

“This is why horrible STEM engineers like Scott shouldn’t be allowed to talk about the social sciences, except by checking the privilege and retweeting everything I say.”

“Actually, he’s a psyc–”

“Shut up and don’t mansplain to me, sexist”

quote:

I didn’t need any more of that “everyone who disagrees with my hateful and narrowminded take on gender relations is a misogynist” crap in my life. It’s sad to think that metafilter has become a worse echochamber than tumblr.

quote:

Do you not think that feminist theory’s foundations are as solid as heliocentrism’s?

What is this metafilter place, anyway, what is its stated purpose?

Nice.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Echo chamber you say

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Scott: "Also, I figured my views were weird enough that I couldn’t accrete a monoculture around them, but I guess I was wrong :("

Pope Guilty posted:

Metafilter's not perfect, but it's been dragged by a bunch of its users toward being less accepting of outright dickery. The site used to have a problem where they'd rather have somebody explaining calmly that racial and sexual minorities are awful than somebody else telling them to gently caress off, and you can still get away with rather a lot if you know how to be "civil" about it, but it's better than it was.

This being precisely why the SSC comments section is famous as a festering loving toilet. Scott knows it's a problem, but doesn't make the logical leap to the fact that it's his site that he actually runs and that perhaps his comments section being a festering loving toilet means his free speech rules don't quite work out so well in practice.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

well he's got our number!

i love when Not-Reactionaries/Ethno-Nationalists have this lovely strawman in their head that just shouts "racist" and "misogyny" for no apparent reason

my lovely far-right wing strawman is just them yelling the exact opposite :v:

"im not a misogynist, now excuse me while i go whine about [insert feminist critic here]"

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Oct 19, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Race Realists posted:

"im not a misogynist, now excuse me while i go whine about [insert feminist critic here]"

"No you see my reasons are well thought-out criticisms reached through logic but the other side's MISANDRY makes me look like a misogynist!!!"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

divabot posted:

This being precisely why the SSC comments section is famous as a festering loving toilet. Scott knows it's a problem, but doesn't make the logical leap to the fact that it's his site that he actually runs and that perhaps his comments section being a festering loving toilet means his free speech rules don't quite work out so well in practice.
"My views are not at all right wing! They are completely neutral, rational, and apolitical. Hey, look, I have a bunch of supporters and friends rallying to my side! Wait, why are they all foaming Nazis? It must be a bizarre coincidence, and has nothing to do whatsoever with the underlying political bent of my prose..."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

divabot posted:

Scott: "Also, I figured my views were weird enough that I couldn’t accrete a monoculture around them, but I guess I was wrong :("

MeFi employs paid moderators, there's always somebody on shift, and the people running the site feel obligated to make sure it's a decent, welcoming place to post. A good comments section takes hard loving work (and, I increasingly suspect, a barrier to participation such as Metafilter's $5 or SA's $10 registration fee) to build and maintain.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

divabot posted:

Calling SSC a festering toilet in a world where e.g. 4chan and red state exist seems silly. It's honestly pretty good, as long as you just hide all the reactionary comments instead of fuming over them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Patrick Spens posted:

Calling SSC a festering toilet in a world where e.g. 4chan and red state exist seems silly. It's honestly pretty good, as long as you just hide all the reactionary comments instead of fuming over them.

Then you'd need still be able to read the blogposts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

4chan has the benefit of having boards other than /pol/, SSC has no such privilege.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I hope you enjoy the derail that's about to happen, 'cause I don't.

In desperate hopes of avoiding the poo poo that's continuing and the poo poo that's about to happen, Scott and pals cannot stop ceaselessly multiplying divinities.

But... cancer does create...? That's how cancer happens in the first place, and the problem is that it's creating too much that doesn't jive with the other cells around it...

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoycottStarWarsVII?src=tren

sigh...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I haven't paid any attention to the new Star Wars movie what is that about.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Dr Pepper posted:

I haven't paid any attention to the new Star Wars movie what is that about.

Something something black protagonist something something white genocide something.

At least that's what it appears to be, the hashtag is nothing but people mocking the idea now. Great film publicity, really.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Echo chamber you say

To be fair Metafilter is often the sort of 'politically correct' echo chamber that assholes accuse everywhere else on the Internet of being. I've seen 1,000 comment MetaTalk threads about the correct use of one word or expression. There's some great discussion and links but the culture can be kinda passive-aggressive and stifling.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

Something something black protagonist something something white genocide something.

At least that's what it appears to be, the hashtag is nothing but people mocking the idea now. Great film publicity, really.

oddly similar to the "boycott" Fury Road got, now that I think about it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Race Realists posted:

oddly similar to the "boycott" Fury Road got, now that I think about it

And just like that I assume when the movie comes out and gets near universally praised* they will start tripping over themselves to say "Well we never said you should boycott the movie, that was just those other guys who are only slightly weirder than us"

*Dear gods please don't let them gently caress this up

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's because despite "outrage culture" being the bludgeon of oppressive assholes the internet does enjoy being outraged. There might have been one or two people actually wanting to call for a mas boycott, but there aren't enough of them for it to really say anything on a demographic level. Twitter however can unite against these bigots, because it feels good to denounce people who are just plainly morally wrong.

That of course isn't to say there aren't racist people whining about black characters in Star Wars, just that despite any hand wringing the ones that actually care will see the movie anyways, because they're nerds and it's Star Wars.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Finally a movie depicting Die Endlösung der weißen Frage properly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well then color me wrong. Someone with the influence to get 24 whole retweets is calling for a boycott. Given that people mocking it have hijacked the hashtag, the end take away is people being motivated to see a movie because it has a black person in a leading role though. Which is you know a good thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Uh, Star Wars already had a black protagonist.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

He was only the protagonist of The Phantom Menace, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fatherboxx posted:

Anime-AltRight thing is mostly confirmation bias, since it is always hillarious to see some dude on twitter mostly posting big titty animes or robots suddenly go on tirade about muslims or cultural marxism.
I stumbled across this exact guy when that #masculinitysofragile thing was making the rounds. Some guy with a gundam avatar and a name involving @mecha tweeted that if any woman would unironically say fragile masculinity that he'd fist fight her and kick the hell out of her. A minor celebrity woman who I am not familiar with, posted a reply to him saying "okay, let's fight", and he quickly deleted it and then went on a gamergate rant.

fakedit: found it https://twitter.com/ExcuseMySarcasm/status/646699276698021888/photo/1

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I stumbled across this exact guy when that #masculinitysofragile thing was making the rounds. Some guy with a gundam avatar and a name involving @mecha tweeted that if any woman would unironically say fragile masculinity that he'd fist fight her and kick the hell out of her. A minor celebrity woman who I am not familiar with, posted a reply to him saying "okay, let's fight", and he quickly deleted it and then went on a gamergate rant.

fakedit: found it https://twitter.com/ExcuseMySarcasm/status/646699276698021888/photo/1

Masculinity so fragile you have to chicken out of a fist fight with a girl that you started :allears:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you beat up a girl you look like an rear end in a top hat, and if you refuse to fight them over your own threats you're a pussy. There's just no way to win with moderntarded fragile masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A twitter marxist once managed to convince this person that Nydwracu had died by falling off a blimp.