Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goulash is an unappetizing word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You don't have to eat the word

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DekeThornton posted:

Shouldn't the defining characteristic of chili be the actual chilipeppers you use in the dish, not whatever ingredients you use to accompany said peppers?

I only use chili powder to flavor my chili, the peppers I put in are bell pepper.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PCOS Bill posted:

Actually I do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PCOS Bill posted:

Gonna market a beef stew called Literal Diarrhea.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Gonna market a beef stew called Literal Diarrhea.

I think Campbells already has that one

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Yeah I think that was the idea behind campbells "Chunky" spoups.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No chili rules, no omelet rules. Hail Satan :black101:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That looks good. I had spicy chorizo hash with chipotle mayo and two fried eggs on top yesterday, and I want that for breakfast every day for the rest of my life.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PCOS Bill posted:

No goulash is elbow macaroni with ground beef cooked in salsa over it.

In North Dakota, Goulash is under-seasoned, over-cooked, ground beef, black beans, tomatoes, and macaroni. We always used fresh tomatoes for our abomination.

It's basically pasta e fagioli but shittier.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

mostlygray posted:

In North Dakota, Goulash is under-seasoned, over-cooked, ground beef, black beans, tomatoes, and macaroni. We always used fresh tomatoes for our abomination.

I have been here for 16 years and have thus far avoided this abomination. I've also managed not to eat fleischkuechle or lutefisk.

Tacos in a bag are delicious, though, I have to admit.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mostlygray posted:

My Chicagoan grandparents call a similar dish goulash, but it's overcooked, underseasoned ground beef, tomatoes, macaroni, and cheese, with no beans but occasionally corn or peas. Apparently some regions refer to the same dish as chop suey.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

Nthed. Chili without beans is just meat sauce.

Chili is just meat cooked with chilis or chili powder and some spices. Chili con carne, the end.

You start putting ingredients like beans, corn, miracle whip, tater tots, or whatever it is you people in the Midwest eat and you have a stew.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm making chili tomorrow. gently caress all of you.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

pookel posted:

I have been here for 16 years and have thus far avoided this abomination. I've also managed not to eat fleischkuechle or lutefisk.

Saw some kids today with tacos in a bag...made with Flaming Hot Cheetos. Not sure how I feel about it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Kakairo posted:

Saw some kids today with tacos in a bag...made with Flaming Hot Cheetos. Not sure how I feel about it.

As an aside, flamin hot cheetos suck, but cheddar jalapeno cheetos are amazing. So I would say those kids hosed up for that reason alone.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Plinkey posted:

No chili rules, no omelet rules. Hail Satan :black101:

Put that on a pizza.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OctoberBlues posted:

As an aside, flamin hot cheetos suck, but cheddar jalapeno cheetos are amazing. So I would say those kids hosed up for that reason alone.

You need those mojo criollo Doritos... Oh yiss

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

Chili is just meat cooked with chilis or chili powder and some spices. Chili con carne, the end.

You start putting ingredients like beans, corn, miracle whip, tater tots, or whatever it is you people in the Midwest eat and you have a stew.

Oh god tater tots in chili sound good

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Chili+cheese on potatoes is good. Even like a baked potato.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well, here's the thing. Chili con carne is just beef stew with a few characteristics. It was made to be cheap, easy trail food by cowboys who didn't have the luxury of a kitchen or many ingredients, since they had to take everything in their saddlebags. It's not some codified, sacred dish - well, at least it wasn't originally. It's just food.

Do you go to IHOP and tell them that what they call an omelet is in fact a frittata?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Kakairo posted:

Hella jelly?

PCOS Bill posted:

:agreed:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

I have some left over chili from the weekend. This might be my dinner tomorrow. On an omelet, on a pizza.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I might add some tater tots to the bowl next time I make chili. They'll add some more starch, and hopefully soak up lots of delicious flavor.

Tater tots with chili in the center oh godddddd get inside me

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, here's the thing. Chili con carne is just beef stew with a few characteristics. It was made to be cheap, easy trail food by cowboys who didn't have the luxury of a kitchen or many ingredients, since they had to take everything in their saddlebags. It's not some codified, sacred dish - well, at least it wasn't originally. It's just food.

Do you go to IHOP and tell them that what they call an omelet is in fact a frittata?

Well okay Wavy Gravy let's all just smoke the reefer and bang a bongo and call food whatever we want. Rules are for squares right.

Peanut butter on Ritz crackers? That's chili. Cereal and milk? That's chili too. Plain white bread? You better believe that's chili. I've got a glass of cold chili right here on my end table. It used to be called beer before we TOSSED OUT ALL THE RULES.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well okay Wavy Gravy let's all just smoke the reefer and bang a bongo and call food whatever we want. Rules are for squares right.

Peanut butter on Ritz crackers? That's chili. Cereal and milk? That's chili too. Plain white bread? You better believe that's chili. I've got a glass of cold chili right here on my end table. It used to be called beer before we TOSSED OUT ALL THE RULES.

Do you get this mad about other food, or just chili?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I believe we have a thread in GWS specifically for fighting about chili so maybe check that out?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oh man how did I forget about adding hominy to chili? That's absolutely delicious.

That's it, I'm making chili later this week.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

<eats another slice of thin crust Hawaiian chili>

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Danger Mahoney posted:

No pizza rules, ergo, chili is a type of pizza. No pizza rules, no chili rules. QED.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

I'm making chili tomorrow. gently caress all of you.

here, you'll thank me. use newcastle and starbucks pike place roast. this chili has won me two contests.

2 teaspoons oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 can dark beer
1 cup strong coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
4 chili peppers, chopped

in a dutch oven, fry the garlic and onions in the oil. add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. then the sirloin. cook until it's not pink but not dry, then transfer to a large pot. add the tomatoes, beer, coffee and tomato paste, and stir. add your beef broth and spices. stir. add your peppers and 1 can of beans and stir. bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 90 minutes. add the other can of beans, transfer all of the solids and as much of the liquid as will fit to a crock pot. cook overnight. serve with cornbread. collect winnings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's actually very simple. There are only six types of food.

Discrete: Just whole objects not combined with stuff. An apple, a baked potato, a steak, yoghurt.
Stew: A bunch of food mixed up together. Chilli, spaghetti bolognese, cereal with milk.
Soup: A bunch of food mixed up together and liquified, with or without bits floating in it. Anything actually named "soup", instant noodles (unless the liquid is drained off).
Cake: A bunch of food mixed up and made solid. An omelette, bread, sausages.
Sandwich: Food on or in bread. Pizza, subs, burritos.
Pie: Food on or in pastry. Basically anything called a pie or tart. Quiche. Curry puffs.

There are also drinks, sauces and garnishes, but I don't count those as food per se. Everything fits neatly into these categories. So you may argue over wehat does and does not count as chilli, but you can't deny that it's all stew.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Efexeye posted:

here, you'll thank me. use newcastle and starbucks pike place roast. this chili has won me two contests.

2 teaspoons oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 can dark beer
1 cup strong coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
4 chili peppers, chopped

in a dutch oven, fry the garlic and onions in the oil. add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. then the sirloin. cook until it's not pink but not dry, then transfer to a large pot. add the tomatoes, beer, coffee and tomato paste, and stir. add your beef broth and spices. stir. add your peppers and 1 can of beans and stir. bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 90 minutes. add the other can of beans, transfer all of the solids and as much of the liquid as will fit to a crock pot. cook overnight. serve with cornbread. collect winnings.

Did you buy something like this? cool. Now throw that poo poo away. We do it Live!!!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
What's that? its motherFucking Delicious?

I Know. You're Welcome.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Haverchuck posted:

Did you buy something like this? cool. Now throw that poo poo away. We do it Live!!!

i understand this reference

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Efexeye posted:

in a dutch oven

I giggled because I am a child.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Does "no chili rules" apply to porizj threads? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406045&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

porizj posted:

I'm going to be breaking a few sacred chili rules here. Too bad; I apologize to no one.

Ingredients:

1 & 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground PORK (perfect way to uncover jews)
2 packages of french onion soup mix (be prepared for your chili to surrender)
2 tablespoons of chili powder (less if you're a baby, more if you're a man)
4 teaspoons of ground cumin (omit this and I will devour your soul)
1 teaspoon of black pepper (slightly racist)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or none if you're heaving a heart attack right now)
6 ejaculations (squirts) of Tabasco sauce
1 21-ounce can of red beans and 1 21-ounce can of black beans (I have a dream)
2 6-ounce cans of tomato paste with garlic (regular tomato paste = you're an rear end in a top hat)
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce (real men need more than just paste)
1 yellow, orange or red pepper, chopped up (green peppers are Satan's taint)
1 package of sliced mushrooms (yes, you can slice your own mushrooms, smartass)

Instructions:

Put the meat in a huge chili pot and brown it over medium heat
Add 4 cups of water and the french onion soup mix. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes
Stir in the spices and the Tabasco and simmer for another minute or two
Add the beans, the mushrooms and the chopped pepper
Turn to low and let simmer for at least 20 minutes, 40 is better, stirring every 5-10
Call your mother and tell her she's not allowed to hug you anymore

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pookel posted:

I want this

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

I want this

Trash bag food for trash bag animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

cash crab posted:

I want this

To be fair, it does look exactly like what you'd get if you knocked over my garbage can in the middle of the night.

• Locked thread