Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 1 is good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 1 is good. :colbert:

I agree, but it's kind of it's own thing and not really what people think about when talking about the series. Jonathan is definitely an underated Jojo though, he's such a drat good guy, and people actually call him Jojo!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

While I'd agree it's not usually what people think of, I'd disagree that it's its own thing. It laid down a lot of the thematic and relational foundations for the series and is deeply connected with the overall metanarrative. Moreso than Part 2, I'd argue.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Bad Seafood posted:

While I'd agree it's not usually what people think of, I'd disagree that it's its own thing. It laid down a lot of the thematic and relational foundations for the series and is deeply connected with the overall metanarrative. Moreso than Part 2, I'd argue.

Counterpoint: Joseph Joestar.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part 2 is GOOD, Joseph is GOOD.

I'm just saying Part 1 is more important, which has nothing to do with part-to-part quality.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

They set up different elements of the series I guess. Phantom Blood obviously has Dio and the Joestar bloodline becoming defenders of the world from evil but Battle Tendency introduces the ridiculous battles and flamboyant protagonists which are also a mainstay of the series too, in contrast even the final battle between Jonathan and Dio looks downright sober compared to nearly anything the other Jojos get up to. I guess you could sat Part I sets up the plot and Part II sets up the tone

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I guess you could sat Part I sets up the plot and Part II sets up the tone
That's a good way of putting it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

:agreed:

If anything, Part 2 is where Araki's storytelling voice and style for the series started to actually gel. But Part 1 is so important for establishing a showcase for the development of both the Joestar Bloodline and, yeah, Dio, particularly the Les Miserables undercurrent happening with the Joestar's inherent kindness ("I gave him that ring" "Didn't he tell you I gave him that wallet?") and even with all of the terrible poo poo that happens because one man wanted to repay another, the lesson his son learned from his father still helps create the biggest force for good for the modern world by way of the SPW and that being a kind, cool, and understanding dude is way more important to being a gentleman (or a man, or a person in general) than power by any means necessary. It sets the optimistic, pay it forward, light at the end of the tunnel feeling that's important to the series, which is maintained even if the good guys don't always necessarily win and I think that's really important. Reading through Phantom Blood again with fresh eyes is a real treat and it makes me sad that some people skim the story to get to "the good parts". JoJo is supposed to be a slow boil so when you get to Jolyne falling sideways because gravity is being screwed with it's just sort of the logical next step.

EDIT: but anyway yeah Phantom Blood is great and also Speedwagon is there.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 18, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

RaspberryCommie posted:

Counterpoint: Joseph Joestar.

Meh

e: my favorite part of part 2 is basically KARS KARS KARS so yeah

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Part 1 is a lot of fun for what it is and while tou could argue it isn't strictly necessary to see it to be caught up, I can't imagine what happens in SC having anywhere near the same impact without knowing who Dio is and how far back he goes with the Joestar line.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Pootybutt posted:

Part 1 is a lot of fun for what it is and while tou could argue it isn't strictly necessary to see it to be caught up, I can't imagine what happens in SC having anywhere near the same impact without knowing who Dio is and how far back he goes with the Joestar line.

Not to mention the SPW and why exactly they're helping out this rando rich-rear end family kill a vampire.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I agree, but it's kind of it's own thing and not really what people think about when talking about the series. Jonathan is definitely an underated Jojo though, he's such a drat good guy, and people actually call him Jojo!

My favourite bit in any JoJo part is the quick line of dialogue near the beginning where it's established that the new JoJo could indeed be conceivably called JoJo by someone if they combined the first and last syllables of his/her name or changed it into binary and read it backwards or whatever, and then proceed to never actually call him/her by that name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I handle it like Dio and think of "Jojo" as Jonathan.

Joseph doesn't really go by that nickname anymore, Jotaro generally seemed to be called his regular name, I don't remember anyone ever calling Josuke that, Giorno is GioGio, and Jolyne would probably beat the bejesus out of you if you called her Jojo given what happened with her boyfriend.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Speedwagon to Jonathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzNZ1c5C9c

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I handle it like Dio and think of "Jojo" as Jonathan.

Joseph doesn't really go by that nickname anymore, Jotaro generally seemed to be called his regular name, I don't remember anyone ever calling Josuke that, Giorno is GioGio, and Jolyne would probably beat the bejesus out of you if you called her Jojo given what happened with her boyfriend.

I thiiiiiink some people who kinda sorta know Jotaro and Josuke as acquaintances call them by JoJo and then their Real Bros call them by their actual name. I think it's a nice touch though that Jolyne will only let her mom call her that, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they stopped calling the Jojo Jojo so often beginning in part 3 because multiple Jojos starts getting into the mix at a time. Like, would you be talking about Joseph or Jotaro in part 3?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they stopped calling the Jojo Jojo so often beginning in part 3 because multiple Jojos starts getting into the mix at a time. Like, would you be talking about Joseph or Jotaro in part 3?

To be fair, there's only a handful of people in Part 3 that even call Joseph something other than "Joestar/Mr. Joestar". I think it's just Jotaro (gramps), Holly (papa), Suzie Q (Joseph), and DIO (Joseph Joestar)?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

E: dang it all i utterly misunderstood this conversation due to phoneposting

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 19, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, I prefer how the anime did it, where Jotaro was called Jojo and they called Joseph Mr. Joestar. If they did part 4, Josuke would get the name and Jotaro would just be Mr. Kujo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Or just Jotaro.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The SC anime handled the nickname "JoJo" the same way the manga did where Jotaro was referred to by that nickname for a few fights, then was pretty much exclusively referred to by his given name.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Heaven DIO actually looks alright in this fanart. I guess presentation helps a lot.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Still looks like he's been chugging colloidal silver, though I guess that's more blue/ purple

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hes like a purple hulk. Or that purple hulk character from Dexter's Lab, except prettier.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Purple stuff/Sunny Dio

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5yzR2FCps

Somebody help him. :smith:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The voice in that vine works so well for Josuke.

I came back here looking to see if Aurain had posted an EOH update because I wanted to yell at him about hot pants and bruno being NPC

e: nevermind aurain god drat 4chan

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 21, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Might as well yell at me too because seriously.

six dios. six fuckgin dio and one of them is an NPC and Hot Pants is only in NPC town. This is bullshit.

where is my DIego/Hot Pants tag team?? where is it??? how you gonna have two diegos and then tell me diego and hot pants can't tag team?

this started as a joke but now i'm actually annoyed for real!!!

edit: unless there's something I missed about what NPCs actually do or something, but still!

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

BaDandy posted:

Might as well yell at me too because seriously.

Ahhh gently caress, I think we've been had. The same person who posted that originally just posted a retraction, ahaha.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN because who the hell would make Bruno a NPC?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Oh, thank god.

We're no closer to Hot Pants, but thank god all the same.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would legitimately laugh my rear end off if this game had six Dios.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I would legitimately laugh my rear end off if this game had six Dios.

Think of who would suffer the most.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You can't deny that all those Dios together would make for a golden experience.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no way Bruno isn't in the game.
Even if they hadn't still got all of ASB's assets to play with, Bruno is integral. You guys should have been able to tell it was a fake image from that alone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, hell, it's basically given that the main jojo and the main sidekick from each arc will be in

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Aurain posted:

You guys should have been able to tell it was a fake image from that alone.

Aurain, I hate you,

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ascalapha odorata posted:

Aurain, I hate you,

M-mom?!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really not looking forward to hearing Koyasu voicing five characters the same way. Also, it's not hard to make two Diegos when the first one was the first new character announced and the assets for making a second are all pretty much there aside from the World needing to be slimmed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

His World actually looks quite a lot different. The piping on his back is ribbed differently, the bands on front are more numerous like in SBR as well as adding a gear on his arm and his SBR style face. They put a lot more work in to make it an authentic Diego's The World than they really needed to, imo.