Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I'd say that DkS2 is harder than DkS1 just in general. Things move a bit slower than in 1, but they're also way less forgiving, whereas in 1 very little in PvE stunlocks you in ways you can't just midroll out of, not to mention the instant Estus health regain on a way faster animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Are you playing for the first time? IMO the beginning of DkS2 is one of the hardest parts of any game in the series because your quick, renewable healing is so incredibly limited and the combination of the stricter durability system with a really limited number of weapons available to you. It all adds up to really make exploring and meandering around cluelessly an unforgiving pain in the rear end, which is what you always do at the beginning of Souls.

Yes, this is my second attempt. I gave up early the last time. I think that time I had knelt at the shrine that makes the game harder.

Ekster posted:

Are you playing the Scholar of the First Sin edition? They ramped up the difficulty by quite a bit due to some nasty enemy placements, especially in the earlier areas.

Yes. What I'm also noticing is that the sheer number of enemies...like where DS1 would have had 1 or 2 enemies this game seems to have 3 or 4.

I went through DS1 using a Strength/Dex build but now that's becoming my default a la the way the Soldier class is the default for many in the Mass Effect games.

How does magic/spells work in this game? Part of the fun of this series is the opaque nature of the world but sometimes it can get frustrating even figuring out simple things. :/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

starry skies above posted:

How does magic/spells work in this game? Part of the fun of this series is the opaque nature of the world but sometimes it can get frustrating even figuring out simple things. :/

There are 4 types of magic. All magic has certain stat requirements in addition to slots which you get from leveling the Attunement skill;

-Sorcery, which requires Int. Cast with staves.
-Miracles, which require Faith. Cast with chimes.
-Hexes, which require Int and Faith. Catalyst varies based on spell.
-Pyromancy, which requires nothing other than slots. Cast with pyromancy hand.

You get spells by either starting with them, finding them in the environment, or buying them from various vendors. Once you get a spell scroll you can equip it a bonfire so long as you meet the stat requirements and have the available slots (if you don't have any you need to level ATTN to at least 10 to get one). You can then cast the spell by wielding the appropriate catalyst. Spell charges refill every time you rest at a bonfire. How much you can rely on spells depends on what kind of build you go for.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yay, finished Axiom Verge, something like 66% items and 85% map

Missed out a lot of stuff I saw on streams, like the password thingy, most of the notes, and the upper mutant arm gun thingies, and got BADLY lost right before I got the red coat / went to finish the game

But overall, I really enjoyed it! Pretty great game especially for a one man development. Seems a good year for that between AV and UnderTale

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It was pretty good, lots of neat art and silly weapons and nailed the Metroid 1 feel. Back-tracking got a little tiresome just because it's so huge but I felt like one time through was just the right amount of time before I would have gotten tired of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Need another metroid-like to play, I think. I had a list of games to play but now I can't find the drat thing

First was Cave Story, then Guacamelee, then AV, then ... ???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Need another metroid-like to play, I think. I had a list of games to play but now I can't find the drat thing

environmental station alpha

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ah ha, that was one of them. Thanks

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest, Apotheon, La-Mulana, Shantae, Full Bore,

super panda adventure.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Play Rayman Legends

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Rayman legends is also very good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Games on Drugs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah, magical pixie, i should know better than to load this thread up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardboard Box A posted:

Games on Drugs

Trying to figure out which one I find the most horrifying, the 3d model or the illustration

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gonna go with "yes"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Games on Drugs

Would and Would

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nasgate posted:

Would and Would

sounds like you got what it takes to be the new mod of tviv

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hubris.height posted:

sounds like you got what it takes to be the new mod of tviv

aatrek didn't like anime though

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Do you like Star Trek?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cardboard Box A posted:

Games on Drugs

Lord that looks awful, 3d anime guys aren't modeled in the same way realistic models are. You have to work with them in 3/4 views most of the time or they turn out exactly like that.

I mean look at the 2D face she's got a clearly defined chin, The 3d model resembles the loving moon from majora's mask. Also the eye textures are flipped, you are not supposed to flip the eye textures.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 19, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Lord that looks awful, 3d anime guys aren't modeled in the same way realistic models are. You have to work with them in 3/4 views most of the time or they turn out exactly like that.

I mean look at the 2D face she's got a clearly defined chin, The 3d model resembles the loving moon from majora's mask. Also the eye textures are flipped, you are not supposed to flip the eye textures.

*screams*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Why would anyone ever use Firefox when it's been overtaken by every browser not called Safari in terms of not being bad?

safari is the best browser in existence actually

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'd say that DkS2 is harder than DkS1 just in general. Things move a bit slower than in 1, but they're also way less forgiving, whereas in 1 very little in PvE stunlocks you in ways you can't just midroll out of, not to mention the instant Estus health regain on a way faster animation.

dark souls 1 is harder than 2 if u havnt put in 1000 hours into 1 before playing 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stux posted:

dark souls 1 is harder than 2 if u havnt put in 1000 hours into 1 before playing 2

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I beat Dark Souls 1 by getting the true ending and then imminently started Dark Souls 2 and wound up platinuming the game in the process.

Dark souls 2 was easier.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Well I made decent progress in Dark Souls 2: SotFS this past weekend..beat The Last Giant and Dragonrider. Not sure how you're supposed deal with that floating knight fellow or when you're supposed to take him on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

starry skies above posted:

Well I made decent progress in Dark Souls 2: SotFS this past weekend..beat The Last Giant and Dragonrider. Not sure how you're supposed deal with that floating knight fellow or when you're supposed to take him on.

now and by killilng him

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
eSports today

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't get the eSports connection

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bloodychill posted:

I don't get the eSports connection

the connection is esports is bad and only the worst people give a poo poo about them

much like anime interactive novels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eSports kick rear end, especially 1v1 fighting games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

the connection is esports is bad and only the worst people give a poo poo about them

Don't say things you can't take back...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Have you played Starcraft Visual Novel?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone remember that weird debit card looking thing Microsoft did during the early 360 era where you could get discounts on food and poo poo as you earned achievements? That poo poo was so strange, I can't seem to find anything about it on google.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone remember that weird debit card looking thing Microsoft did during the early 360 era where you could get discounts on food and poo poo as you earned achievements? That poo poo was so strange, I can't seem to find anything about it on google.

Xbox Live Diamond Card or something like that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Instant Sunrise posted:

Xbox Live Diamond Card or something like that

yeah, that's it! Thanks, it was driving me crazy. I actually had one of those things for a hot second before realizing how completely pointless it was.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp Bioware is making the real no bullshit redone and fixed retcon mass Effect 3 ending day 1 DLC for mass Effect 4.

it erases the whole final choice and everything leading up to it. I'm expecting it to be like the Comicbook intro for the Wii-U version of ME 3 where it brings you up to speed and then drops you into the game mid fight as Shepard. I'm guessing it will also serve as a tutorial section. Mass Effect now is like the Zelda Timeline.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Welp Bioware is making the real no bullshit redone and fixed retcon mass Effect 3 ending day 1 DLC for mass Effect 4.

it erases the whole final choice and everything leading up to it. I'm expecting it to be like the Comicbook intro for the Wii-U version of ME 3 where it brings you up to speed and then drops you into the game mid fight as Shepard. I'm guessing it will also serve as a tutorial section. Mass Effect now is like the Zelda Timeline.

you'd think mass effect fans would be used to the choices in the previous game meaning absolutely squat besides a handful of flavor text by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like it when games give me the choice whether or not to kill the main bad guy when I've already killed a hundred of his mooks. I guess killing is only bad if the NPC has a name.

• Locked thread