Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I got a 640XL and I really like it. Should I put Windows 10 on it or just wait? Basically I plan on using this as my main phone and I'm wondering if the bells and whistles on Windows 10 are worth the trouble of using an unstable beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wookieepelt posted:

I got a 640XL and I really like it. Should I put Windows 10 on it or just wait? Basically I plan on using this as my main phone and I'm wondering if the bells and whistles on Windows 10 are worth the trouble of using an unstable beta.

As of 3 weeks ago the beta was still grossly unfit for a device you want to actually use as a phone. There has been at least 1 update since then however.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It works great on the regular 640, not sure about the XL though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I didn't have access to contacts or my SD-card music when I tried the preview on a 640XL a few weeks ago

e: I think the contacts problem is because a lot of my contacts are Google contacts synced to my Live account? All I know is it works on WP8.1 and didn't work on WM10

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 15, 2015

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Finally gave up on living with being unable to download and just streaming via Groove on my phone. Did a chat and they just removed every device so I could start over. Now I'm downloading away. I hate myself for not doing this sooner.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I would really like to know how to restore durable IAP when upgrading from WP8 to WM10. I reset my phone for the latest preview build and once again realized that it was gone after upgrading. Not sure what to do.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm sold on the 950 now.
http://blogs.windows.com/devices/2015/10/15/camera-magic-on-microsoft-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

As a Lumia 1020 haver I'm quite excited for this phone. Hopefully they'll have the 950 regular at Microsoft or AT&T stores soon to compare to the XL.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Should I have to do anything special in the Windows 10 photo app to make living images work? I have ones that work on my phone, but they are static when viewed on the computer. But I don't see a setting in the app menu.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.microsoftdevicenight.com/RFG/publish/MDN15/

Going to the LA one

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So Verizon seems to be not supporting the 950 and 950XL because as usual they have a miserable relationship with Microsoft. Cool. The drat phones even have CDMA, this is ridiculous.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-reportedly-blocking-new-microsoft-lumia-950?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

So Verizon seems to be not supporting the 950 and 950XL because as usual they have a miserable relationship with Microsoft. Cool. The drat phones even have CDMA, this is ridiculous.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-reportedly-blocking-new-microsoft-lumia-950?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Came here to post that. If this is true and they're blocking the phones I don't know how that's even legal. I left Verizon for the original Windows Phone (Focus) and not only their lack of support but their apparent vendetta against Microsoft is why I'll never go back. Even if I leave Windows Phone. gently caress Verizon.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

.Tim posted:

Came here to post that. If this is true and they're blocking the phones I don't know how that's even legal. I left Verizon for the original Windows Phone (Focus) and not only their lack of support but their apparent vendetta against Microsoft is why I'll never go back. Even if I leave Windows Phone. gently caress Verizon.

I share your frustration but there's nothing even close to illegal about it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

.Tim posted:

Hah, you remember the Icon, right? A flagship WP phone? Seems far more likely it sold for poo poo and Verizon has no interest in another WP model that won't sell than there being anything like a "vendetta".

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Hah, you remember the Icon, right? A flagship WP phone? Seems far more likely it sold for poo poo and Verizon has no interest in another WP model that won't sell than there being anything like a "vendetta".

Big difference between just not selling something and blocking it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Any lack of substantive sales can be blamed squarely on Verizon themselves- they've moved many more units of countless less impressive phones. Their reticence to back the platform is an established fact.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

.Tim posted:

Big difference between just not selling something and blocking it.

it's less blocking and more like CDMA is like the old cable tv decoder scheme. "Yeah you just have to get your box authorized. No, we can't authorize a box not in our database. The ones we SELL are in our database. Yours is fully compatible and even the same make and model as the ones we sell? Well, why don't you buy one of ours? I can authorize that!"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wanted to try some Android apps on my phone to see how it all worked, but because the 640 isn't supported I had to faff about with a workaround, pushing updates to my phone several times to get it working, and after many hours of effort, let me tell you - there is a good reason why the 640 wasn't supported. :cripes: I don't think a single app runs without some sort of glaring issue.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RVProfootballer posted:

Verizon didn't even set up a commission for the Icon. Their sales reps literally made more money by directing customers to a bottom-tier Android phone sold for $0. As a result, store managers rarely had them on display, and didn't even bother carrying cases for them. It wasn't the Icon that caused it to have poor sales: it was the complete lack of an active sales channel that drove the lack of sales.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

I think the Kin was the beginning of the bad blood between Verizon and MS.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

With the Music app battering me with "can't play this right now, try again" and VLC endlessly crashing, I'm now trying Listen as a free and adfree player. Seems alright so far. Considering all I want from a music app is that it plays all local mp3 files shuffled at the press of a button, anyway. I'm noticing everyone seems to have a different idea of what a music app should be able to do.

In any case, I had to whine a bit about how typing "listen" in the store search doesn't bring up the app for me. At all. I had to type the url I found via some forum on my tablet into the browser on my phone like some caveman. The gently caress is up with that, Microsoft :argh:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

In any case, I had to whine a bit about how typing "listen" in the store search doesn't bring up the app for me. At all. I had to type the url I found via some forum on my tablet into the browser on my phone like some caveman. The f* is up with that, Microsoft :argh:

I just tried searching for it in the latest preview build, and it was the top hit. (The store app did crash on open, though, lol).

Flipperwaldt posted:

With the Music app battering me with "can't play this right now, try again" and VLC endlessly crashing, I'm now trying Listen as a free and adfree player. Seems alright so far. Considering all I want from a music app is that it plays all local mp3 files shuffled at the press of a button, anyway. I'm noticing everyone seems to have a different idea of what a music app should be able to do.

Local MP3's is a losers game. Upgrade your life and start streaming your own collection instead. You can do this with both Groove and my otherwise limited app that I hock itc, but also lol at the bolded part.

Also if you want a true phone store tragedy, apparently my app isn't shown in the online store browser any more. I know because I just clicked through 28 pages of never-downloaded and crapware music apps for Windows Phone and didn't see it!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

With the Music app battering me with "can't play this right now, try again" and VLC endlessly crashing

Your best bet with VLC is to uninstall and reinstall. Clean slate it and try indexing the library again. I've been trying hard to get better crash analytic data into it, but I'm running into road blocks. Right now you can send the crash data after it relaunches (and if it fails to launch, :suicide:). We're trying to make it better, honest :shrug:.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Local MP3's is a losers game. Upgrade your life and start streaming your own collection instead.

Streaming isn't exactly helpful for people whose commute regularly puts them in areas with lovely to no coverage.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

I just tried searching for it in the latest preview build, and it was the top hit. (The store app did crash on open, though, lol).

Local MP3's is a losers game. Upgrade your life and start streaming your own collection instead. You can do this with both Groove and my otherwise limited app that I hock itc, but also lol at the bolded part.

Also if you want a true phone store tragedy, apparently my app isn't shown in the online store browser any more. I know because I just clicked through 28 pages of never-downloaded and crapware music apps for Windows Phone and didn't see it!

I'm a proud loser and I have no problems with the standard music app. :colbert:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Factor Mystic posted:

Must be a regional app selection thing then. Although going to the en-us link in the browser did pop it up in the store no problem.

Factor Mystic posted:

Local MP3's is a losers game. Upgrade your life and start streaming your own collection instead. You can do this with both Groove and my otherwise limited app that I hock itc,
I'm still playing a different loser's game, which is that so far I've been getting by perfectly with exclusively using wifi for data for the last five years or so. I'm not going to start paying x€ per month for an extremely cramped data plan (like, expressed in mb) just to listen to my music that I have all on my sd card anyway while on my bike.

Factor Mystic posted:

but also lol at the bolded part.
Hey, some people think making playlists is an essential part of a music player. Others mark down players for not being able to fetch lyrics, of all things. Some want to listen to some sort of stream that suggests music they might like. I don't care for any of that and simpler is better for my use, which is just "shuffle all local" all the time.

Drastic Actions posted:

Your best bet with VLC is to uninstall and reinstall. Clean slate it and try indexing the library again. I've been trying hard to get better crash analytic data into it, but I'm running into road blocks. Right now you can send the crash data after it relaunches (and if it fails to launch, :suicide:). We're trying to make it better, honest :shrug:.
Appreciate it and will try, I just had some very frustrating episodes with it where I couldn't get into the app at all.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
WP's music player makes streaming music particularly obnoxious to use (other than it normally is) with an idiotic design decision (granted it's the music player so par for the course) with the track selector that appears when you unlock the phone. It won't register the track name changes until after it starts playing. So for example, you have a huge playlist and want to skip forward to a song that you think is maybe 4-5 tracks ahead, but not sure - so hit the forward track icon. No response, hit it again - nothing. Basically you have to wait until the track is buffered before the title will change, really wtf.

BTW, Thurrott now believes only running Android apps natively can save Windows Phone.. Not only lol for the desperation, but it took Thurrott 8 years to realize "Huh, apps apparently matter".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wanted to try some Android apps on my phone to see how it all worked, but because the 640 isn't supported I had to faff about with a workaround, pushing updates to my phone several times to get it working, and after many hours of effort, let me tell you - there is a good reason why the 640 wasn't supported. :cripes: I don't think a single app runs without some sort of glaring issue.

you can run Android apps on a windows phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jewmanji posted:

ArsTechnica is pointing the finger squarely at Microsoft.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/if-the-lumia-950-and-950-xl-wont-work-on-verizon-thats-microsofts-fault/

tl;dr: Verizon can't block any phone that passes its certification process. Microsoft isn't submitting/paying for the phones to be certified.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm really at a loss as to what to do when my Icon inevitably kicks the bucket 1 month / 1 year / whenever from now. Do I switch from Verizon with its great coverage? If I don't, do I go with Android which has security holes that are never fixed, or iOS which locks me into an ecosystem I don't want? My company does its own security testing, so I suppose if they pass Android then I can just run with it, but it's still frustrating. At least Microsoft has Office, OneDrive, etc. on Android now, and I'll admit my wife's Samsung S6 is really nice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samsung has way too many poo poo built in that annoys a lot of people. I owned a Galaxy S and S4 and couldn't bear with touchwiz and ended with two lumia phones. If you end on Android, get a Motorola Moto G, X or whatever, even Verizon has the Motorola Droid Turbo wich is drat nice. Of course, if you get a flagship, getting a S6 or Note is the only advisable Samsung experience since their low and mid range devices are garbage while other manufacturers have good non-flagship stuff.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The iOS ecosystem lock-in seems no greater than the Windows Phone ecosystem lock-in, and rather lesser than the Android one (unless you are willing to go pretty far purging Google and manufacturer stuff) tbqh. So probably still a pretty good bet. With some luck Microsoft/Verizon will come around and it'll all work out though.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

I'd assume if by some miracle Microsoft and Verizon work out their bullshit that the 950/950XL can be made ready for them with a firmware update.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My husband is clutching his icon for dear life and hoping it survives until the surface phone comes out.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Why is "certifying" phones so drat important to Verizon? I mean, it runs an 808/810, has nearly identical specs as anything else and works fine if you just let it. Spoiler: it will work juuuust fine guys. Really, it won't bring your snowflake network to it's knees.

It's like someone saying they have to certify that water is wet. Here's 1.2 million dollars. Verizon: yep, it's certified as wet thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Pretty much they want to make it annoying to bring a phone they aren't selling to their network. It's all to protect the customers so they are certain the phone they buy works properly. /s

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

Pretty much they want to make it annoying to bring a phone they aren't selling to their network. It's all to protect the customers so they are certain the phone they buy works properly. /s

I know /s, but if the HTC Thunderbolt was "certified to work properly" then I am at a loss for words.

GSM forever I guess. Step 1: put in SIM. Step 2: it works, certifies itself and you are at fault if it doesn't work properly because you bought a pile of poo poo phone. Don't do that again. The end.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 19, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think it was an iPhone update that caused AT&T towers to reboot. lol.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

I'm really at a loss as to what to do when my Icon inevitably kicks the bucket 1 month / 1 year / whenever from now. Do I switch from Verizon with its great coverage? If I don't, do I go with Android which has security holes that are never fixed, or iOS which locks me into an ecosystem I don't want? My company does its own security testing, so I suppose if they pass Android then I can just run with it, but it's still frustrating. At least Microsoft has Office, OneDrive, etc. on Android now, and I'll admit my wife's Samsung S6 is really nice.

You will have perfectly fine experience with any lightly used iPhone 5s, and it's highly affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Uthor posted:

Verizon also has issues when they look at a phone and don't see their branding stuck all over and a custom boot screen with some sick 3d animation. Also lack of partner apps preinstalled and uninstallable to ensure they get full use on their 7.4 gigs of system space for an 8gb phone.