Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I want to build a ammo can emergency radio, so today I decided to check out the Army surplus store right next to my new house.. place is freakin' huge and was packed when I went earlier today.

So huge that I was in the wrong building at first which explains why it was all clothing, I had to go to the 2nd building to get the actual milsurp stuff... (Note the sign that says Surplus 2 ==>)

Biggest surplus store i've ever been in.

Anyway, got my ammo can:

Batteries fit amazingly perfect, 12Ah at 12vDC

Now I just need to figure out radio, antenna and what external access is needed and possibly a solar charge solution. (Roll-up panel?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I decided to get back into this hobby again before realizing the next item on my list is fishing coax from the J-pole in my attic to down into my office. God dammit.

Sniep posted:

I want to build a ammo can emergency radio, so today I decided to check out the Army surplus store right next to my new house.. place is freakin' huge and was packed when I went earlier today.

So huge that I was in the wrong building at first which explains why it was all clothing, I had to go to the 2nd building to get the actual milsurp stuff... (Note the sign that says Surplus 2 ==>)

Biggest surplus store i've ever been in.

Anyway, got my ammo can:

Batteries fit amazingly perfect, 12Ah at 12vDC

Now I just need to figure out radio, antenna and what external access is needed and possibly a solar charge solution. (Roll-up panel?)

This looks like a fun rear end project. How will you dissipate heat?

Sniep posted:

Skip that unless you are absolutely certain you only want 2M.

For a starter radio I cannot recommend enough the FT-60R. It's solid as a rock, has all the goodies you will want to start out, and dualbands the most common repeater bands, both 2M and 70cm. Trust me on this one, you don't want to limit yourself off the bat into a single-bander.

>> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html <<

Iridium posted:

cool, thanks. Think I'll go that way then.

My FT-60R has been chugging along well, I just reprogrammed in last night using Chirp. It can only push out at 5 watts, but as a newbie that's all you should be playing with. Unless you live nowhere near a repeater, this should be any Technician's default first transceiver.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

grilldos posted:

This looks like a fun rear end project. How will you dissipate heat?

Ideally that won't be an issue, i mean, if i can find a radio that will fit that configuration :negative: Everything's a half inch too big in one dimension to fit that dual 6v battery config in series. But yes, i mean, the heat sinks against the metal of the ammo tin, it's pretty conductive, and the goal isn't long rag chewin but just an emergency backup radio can that is one thing to pick up with all the parts needed for at least a few hours of combined radio use.

Alternate idea is just a single UB12180 in there, which will fill half of 2/3rds of it, and let me put in what i am planning on using, the Kenwood TM-281A as the radio. Just a 2m can with batteries, radio, solar charger (working this part out, again, everything's an inch too big for this can) and antenna (wire j-pole)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Radio fits perfectly to mount, though im going to have it on the top as the heat sink's exposed on the bottom, let it get some ventilation despite the fact that much will just get wicked away by the metal ammo can.

Now to make a couple cables to do hookups... and get a 90° coax angle connector to have the antenna feed come out into the tin.

Plenty of room for one notched out -

I can't wait to paint the ammo can. (Not paint over the ammo can-ness of it, just 2" stencil RADIO on either side in white)

It's going to be prepper bait as hell EMP PROOF EMERGENCY RADIO style and I love it lol

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
My FT-60 arrived. Nifty little bastard. Some of the features are buried under unknowable, eldritch menus, but it's easy enough to find instructions online.

A few early thoughts on it all

• gently caress, I already love Chirp
  • what the gently caress, why doesn't Chirp do ctrl-C, etc? this has tripped me up at least a dozen times in two days.
  • Stumbled across the local ARES weekly voice net last night. That was cool, ARES and the weather-specific stuff is one of the big draws to hammery for me. Didn't call in though, going to lurk for a while.
  • It's difficult to take this poo poo seriously sometimes when you're coming across web design masterpieces like this. http://www.georgiaskywarn.com

Anyway thanks for the recommendation, sniep.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Iridium posted:

• It's difficult to take this poo poo seriously sometimes when you're coming across web design masterpieces like this. http://www.georgiaskywarn.com

That's how you know it's real. Serious - that's 100% authentic ham web design right there, they are all like that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Iridium posted:

My FT-60 arrived. Nifty little bastard. Some of the features are buried under unknowable, eldritch menus, but it's easy enough to find instructions online.

A few early thoughts on it all

• gently caress, I already love Chirp
  • what the gently caress, why doesn't Chirp do ctrl-C, etc? this has tripped me up at least a dozen times in two days.

It doesn't have the keyboard shortcuts, but what you can do is highlight whatever rows you want to play with, then use the top menu bar to issue Cut/Copy/Paste. It's super finicky, I learned to save my poo poo after every change I made. Notwithstanding, Chirp is still so much better than the world of "hope and pray your specific radio has a custom software tool some poor fool made from scratch" I was faced with three years ago.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

grilldos posted:

It doesn't have the keyboard shortcuts, but what you can do is highlight whatever rows you want to play with, then use the top menu bar to issue Cut/Copy/Paste. It's super finicky, I learned to save my poo poo after every change I made.

yeah, and that's what i've been doing, but the longstanding habit of the keyboard shortcuts have caught me up a great deal.

edit- and i know it's not hard, adding those were a part of a first-semester computer science programming course I did in college.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
We're all immensely lucky that Chirp is even as good as it is, really. What a world.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So I've had my technician license for like 2 years now, and never really even used my UV5R for anything other than listening to a few net check-ins. Are there any Chicagoland HAMs here? All this talk of the Yaesu FT-60R has me hovering over the checkout button on Amazon since I sort of hate the Baofeng for being so cheap (all the button markings are almost completely worn off, case is chipped, power output is wildly varied according to the internet) and I'm trying to convince myself that I'm going to get active with Skywarn, SAR (probably difficult around here) or volunteer for some events that need operators, etc. Knowing there were a few people in the area to chat with would probably send me over the edge.

-edit: gently caress it, I ordered the FT-60R, still interested in meeting/chatting with any other Chicagoland HAMs here though.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 16, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

charliebravo77 posted:

So I've had my technician license for like 2 years now, and never really even used my UV5R for anything other than listening to a few net check-ins. Are there any Chicagoland HAMs here? All this talk of the Yaesu FT-60R has me hovering over the checkout button on Amazon since I sort of hate the Baofeng for being so cheap (all the button markings are almost completely worn off, case is chipped, power output is wildly varied according to the internet) and I'm trying to convince myself that I'm going to get active with Skywarn, SAR (probably difficult around here) or volunteer for some events that need operators, etc. Knowing there were a few people in the area to chat with would probably send me over the edge.

I don't know anyone who has upgraded from a baofeng and regretted it, for what it's worth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PuTTY riot posted:

I don't know anyone who has upgraded from a baofeng and regretted it, for what it's worth.

Speaking of Baofeng...

Apparently the ARRL had spectrum analyzers at Dayton for the last few years and the results aren't good for the Chinese radios. Baofengs have apparently been getting worse year after year.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

wolrah posted:

Speaking of Baofeng...

Apparently the ARRL had spectrum analyzers at Dayton for the last few years and the results aren't good for the Chinese radios. Baofengs have apparently been getting worse year after year.

Also note that 2014 Baofeng compliant is mis-aligned, and is actually 10%.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

charliebravo77 posted:

All this talk of the Yaesu FT-60R has me hovering over the checkout button on Amazon

-edit: gently caress it, I ordered the FT-60R, still interested in meeting/chatting with any other Chicagoland HAMs here though.

a little late here, but if anyone else is thinking of the same, hamradio.com has them for $15 less, free shipping. Granted, not 2-day like us Prime-havers are spoiled with

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Deleted

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Gave my radio can a stencil paint job over the army green after mounting the radio fixed inside.

So fuckin' tacticlol prepper bullshit... my god, i love it....

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
It's regularly spaced, and aligned with the can. It looks nothing like military equipment. :colbert:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I guess this hasn't made its way to the forums yet cause I let my local club know first, but there's a $30 rotator on radio shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/outdoor-antenna-rotator/1501245.html. This thing rebadged as the antennacraft tdp2 sells for $100 on ebay all day.

You have to call the store and have them order it for you. they also have 100' of rotator cable for like $8. It took about a week for mine to come in. I ordered the cable when I picked up the rotator.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

I guess this hasn't made its way to the forums yet cause I let my local club know first, but there's a $30 rotator on radio shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/outdoor-antenna-rotator/1501245.html. This thing rebadged as the antennacraft tdp2 sells for $100 on ebay all day.

You have to call the store and have them order it for you. they also have 100' of rotator cable for like $8. It took about a week for mine to come in. I ordered the cable when I picked up the rotator.

Hmm, if I buy this, then I definitely have to buy the Hexbeam to go with it :v:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I've seen more Harbor Freight boxes than ammo cans when it comes to portable radio equipment. I use a marine battery box with 4x7Ah batteries in it. There's enough room for a separator to store the radio inside, and then I have a Velcro strip on it so I can stick it on top of the batteries. I use it for portable ops for various events from time to time. Granted it is not metal so it offers no pretense of shielding against an EMP, but neither does an ammo can once you drill and run a stub cable for an antenna.

The larger HF boxes are popular as there is enough room there for batteries, lighting, radios, TNC, signaling, small HF radio, tuner, etc. One guy runs his in a wheeled toolbox with rigrunner and larger batteries. Unless you plan on getting some sort of VHF whip antenna attached to the box to run around with it like a war simulator, being transportable in general is probably more important than wedging all the poo poo into one box. 8/10 times I've brought out my portable VHF I'm sharing little/no table space to set it on, or it is in a vehicle with little/no space to put it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

Ham Op 3rd Most Popular Costume this Halloween Season

Middletown, Conn. — According to Venture Costumes, a Halloween costume retailer, Sexy Nurses and Teen Zombies had better watch out. “If you follow our market data, there is a significant, wide-spread interest in dressing up like a Ham Radio Operator for Halloween, and we want to meet that demand,” said CEO Matt Larr.

The company has rolled out its much-researched “Ham Kit” in time for trick-or-treating and wild office parties. “I spent a lot of time with a scanner listening to local repeaters. I even snuck into a few club meetings to really get into the belly of the beast. I was horrified and bewildered,” noted Evie Christian, lead costume designer for Venture. “In my opinion, I think I’ve come up with a great, terrifying product.”

Venture’s “Ham Kit” comes bundled with clothing, hair/beard dye, and accessories. The clothing portion includes a pair of off-orange Crocs, a pair of “broken-in” sweatpants, “LET’S FREQ!” novelty shirt, and a pair of rose-tinted glasses. Accessories include a Beofunger plastic HT with open squelch effect, blood glucose monitoring kit, LED callsign badge and embroidered callsign hat. A bonus “Ham Musk” spray which promises to “Bring Terror to the Senses!” is available for $5.99.

At press time, there were talks of a possible “Sexy Ham” novelty costume for women, however Venture’s creative team was having issues bridging the gap between the two concepts. The Ham Kit will be available at department stores soon with a MSRP of $31.00 USD.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So I just got my Yaesu FT-60R and it's already apparent just how lovely the Baofengs are in comparison. I've used Motorola handhelds and Uniden and GRE scanners before so I should have known better, but still.

The one thing that is really bugging me so far is that there's no quick way I can find to switch the memory display from alpha to freq, the display is only 6 characters, and it doesn't scroll. Lots of the repeaters in the area here have UHF and VHF frequencies, so simply tagging them as the call sign isn't enough. I guess I can truncate the call sign and add a 2 or 7 or something to the end so I know it's 2m or 70cm, but it'd be really nice if there was a button press to switch the display temporarily. I guess I could also just print off a channel listing so I know which is which rather than scrolling through the menu to switch between alpha and freq.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I really don't understand how the alpha displays on Yaesu handhelds are still so terrible.

I already expect the menus to be terrible, but come on......put in a better display already.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just considering getting into the hobby and I'm just curious... How common is HAM trolling? It seems like an rear end in a top hat could get a radio and just use it for whatever and it would be really difficult to really stop them unless they were transmitting all the time in order for someone to use a directional antenna and actually find them?

People seem to act like if you broadcast without a license even once lightning will strike and your radio will explode in your hands?

ickna
May 19, 2004

soy posted:

People seem to act like if you broadcast without a license even once lightning will strike and your radio will explode in your hands?

This is a fact, which is why lightning protection and proper grounding are so important.

There aren't that many trolls, fortunately. It's largely self-policed and most operators are pretty civil unless you're deliberately interfering with someone else's transmissions or flat out dog cussing someone on the air. Most of the dramas is off-air in clubs or on the occasional repeater.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

soy posted:

I'm just considering getting into the hobby and I'm just curious... How common is HAM trolling? It seems like an rear end in a top hat could get a radio and just use it for whatever and it would be really difficult to really stop them unless they were transmitting all the time in order for someone to use a directional antenna and actually find them?

I've had my Tech for a few years and I haven't ever heard anyone acting like an idiot on 2m repeaters or IRLP. I've seen youtube videos showing people abusing repeaters and so on, but I'd imagine it is fairly rare.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

soy posted:

it would be really difficult to really stop them unless they were transmitting all the time in order for someone to use a directional antenna and actually find them?

That's the thing though, there isn't really much they could do to be particularly annoying without transmitting a lot so anyone with interest in doing so could probably track them down fairly easily while they're doing it.

Someone who's randomly using the airwaves without identifying, yea they're basically impossible to find.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At least they keep to themselves.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Also this repeater:

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm pretty sure I caught this on a set of cheap radios I bought at an REI garage sale when I lived in LA, it was a bunch of weird rear end dudes. The most memorable being some guy who said he was gonna go down to hollywood and vine wearing a bunch of cheap chinese radios and yell at mexicans or something along those lines, I think he really hated immigrants?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Prickly Pete posted:

I've had my Tech for a few years and I haven't ever heard anyone acting like an idiot on 2m repeaters or IRLP. I've seen youtube videos showing people abusing repeaters and so on, but I'd imagine it is fairly rare.

I joke around often on the radio just to drum people up who are not talking.

I've gotten on the repeater and told people that I'm tuning my noise bridge and would appreciate their continued silence.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

At least they keep to themselves.

Should I be able to tune to 14.313 on a VX-6? It seems like I can only tune to 14.310 or 14.315? Short wave seems weird.

Anyways, I guess I'll RTFM on radios in general and get my license now.

soy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 22, 2015

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Holy poo poo is 2m boring as hell. Haven't even been able to make my first contact as it's mostly non-stop streams of old man babble. I thought the old guys complaining about their ailments was a little overblown, but nooooope. Their lungs do seem to be just fine though, cause they can yap for 5 solid minutes without seemingly taking a breath. Guess I need to get General and a HF transceiver now :sigh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

soy posted:

Should I be able to tune to 14.313 on a VX-6? It seems like I can only tune to 14.310 or 14.315? Short wave seems weird.

Isn't a VX-6 a 2m/70cm handheld?

If so, you aren't anywhere close to tuning 14.313 and you also don't have sideband.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

Holy poo poo is 2m boring as hell. Haven't even been able to make my first contact as it's mostly non-stop streams of old man babble. I thought the old guys complaining about their ailments was a little overblown, but nooooope. Their lungs do seem to be just fine though, cause they can yap for 5 solid minutes without seemingly taking a breath. Guess I need to get General and a HF transceiver now :sigh:

Naw that doesn't help that problem. Just say 'break' in between keys if you can't get your call in and join the conversation. They may not want to talk to anyone else but you can try.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

charliebravo77 posted:

I still use 2m for tracking high altitude balloons and communicating with other cars on the chase, but yea.... Repeaters. Dear god no. I gave it an honest try, but when two old dudes were talking about their cats' urinary tract issues I was done.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm sure there are lesser used repeaters in your area, but yeah, repeaters are heavy on ailment chat. If you up the difficulty, say go to D-STAR or another digital mode, or go simplex or non-FM, you get a younger (didn't say young) crowd, or at least ones who are less likely to talk about their recent gall bladder surgery.

Or you could do some 2m DX: work some satellites. Build or buy a pair or circularly polarized yagis for 2m/70cm and some satellite tracking software/websites. AMSAT just launched their FOX-1A satellite that'll use a 70cm uplink and 2m downlink and it's undergoing testing now I believe.

http://www.amsat.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FoxOperatingGuide_May2015_Hi.pdf

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

fordan posted:

Or you could do some 2m DX: work some satellites. Build or buy a pair or circularly polarized yagis for 2m/70cm and some satellite tracking software/websites. AMSAT just launched their FOX-1A satellite that'll use a 70cm uplink and 2m downlink and it's undergoing testing now I believe.

http://www.amsat.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FoxOperatingGuide_May2015_Hi.pdf

Yeah this actually interests me quite a bit. I've already got Fox-1A, SO-50, and the ISS freqs programmed in and ISS tracker on my FT-60R and have been monitoring during their passes overhead but have only ever heard static occasionally. Maybe I'll pick up one of these: http://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/146-437.html

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

soy posted:

man, drama is everywhere. This is one of the first non-SA discussions I stumbled across looking for info. in short, complaining of a couple cocks trying to gently caress with new hams.

http://www.eham.net/articles/27555

but in the couple weeks I've had a radio, i haven't heard anything but pleasantness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

soy posted:

Yeah it has wide receive but as posted:

Motronic posted:

Isn't a VX-6 a 2m/70cm handheld?

If so, you aren't anywhere close to tuning 14.313 and you also don't have sideband.

You don't have any modes other than AM, NFM, WFM... no sideband modes to actually tune USB/LSB with.

Anyway, for me, tomorrow is Antenna Day! For I have bought a Station for my house since I can actually operate as I please now since I own a home.

Love it so far, got to get some poo poo up in the air and I'm excited to actually explore above 2m for once.