Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

plus there was the line about a postman's hot hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

manyak posted:

I normally dont like live episodes because the audience can get annoying and too into it and it changes the dynamic, but the new hollywood handbook is good because the crowd doesnt react at all

Seriously. Did they record it at UC Berkeley Sunset? I hear they have great acoustics.

But really, how the hell was that crowd so dead? What the gently caress is wrong with LA audiences? You can see the same dynamic in effect on The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail - every week there's a cavalcade of great comedians, performing in a very intimate space, and the audience (Who chose to be there, mind you!) never rises above a mild chuckle.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

JethroMcB posted:

Seriously. Did they record it at UC Berkeley Sunset? I hear they have great acoustics.

But really, how the hell was that crowd so dead? What the gently caress is wrong with LA audiences? You can see the same dynamic in effect on The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail - every week there's a cavalcade of great comedians, performing in a very intimate space, and the audience (Who chose to be there, mind you!) never rises above a mild chuckle.

considering their commentary on how unfair it was for Aisha to have their show at the same time as hers, i'm guessing they didn't have a very big crowd

even if people really like the show it's typical group behavior to buss up less if you're not surrounded by people laughing with you

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
if i were ever at a hh taping you'd be drat sure i'd be busy taking notes and actually trying to LEARN something instead of loffing like a loon,
, sincerely scoop trooper

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Zsinjeh posted:

if i were ever at a hh taping you'd be drat sure i'd be busy taking notes and actually trying to LEARN something instead of loffing like a loon,
, sincerely scoop trooper

actually, you'd get the scoop on all the big laughs! and then where would the rest of us be? looking like a bunch of real fools while you're having the time of your life

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Tarranon posted:

actually, you'd get the scoop on all the big laughs! and then where would the rest of us be? looking like a bunch of real fools while you're having the time of your life
Sean and Hayes could probably get Star Citizen out working perfectly in like 2 weeks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Sean is too busy working on Courtroom Scramble for that

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

I was there. It was at LA Podfest up against 3 other shows. People here in the Hollywood Handbook circle jerk/recommend me a starting episode thread might forget, but only 60 people on Earth listen to this podcast and I'd say about 24 of them were in that room.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I was there. It was at LA Podfest up against 3 other shows. People here in the Hollywood Handbook circle jerk/recommend me a starting episode thread might forget, but only 60 people on Earth listen to this podcast and I'd say about 24 of them were in that room.

After they were on CBB it's at least 61 :smug:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The crowd also wasn't mic'd well. That has a huge effect. It can make a great episode sound like a dud, since the pauses for laughter after jokes land suddenly sound like awkward silences after jokes don't land.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you usually skip the music episodes of I4H you should really listen to the latest one because it is amazing

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Agreed, top tier performers. And I know most of you guys don't like the punk alt-country, but this one was solid. Misremembered movies was my favorite scene

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Man, James Adomian is being real bitter and kinda not cool on Twitter about Larry David doing Bernie Sanders on SNL

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Riptor posted:

Man, James Adomian is being real bitter and kinda not cool on Twitter about Larry David doing Bernie Sanders on SNL

Yeah, I love Adomian but he's smoking crack if he thinks that a) he was personally slighted (assuming he was even on their radar) or that b) any producer would pass on Larry David to go with literally anybody else.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think he's just kind of frustrated at the amount of attention/praise Larry David's impression is getting when his own Bernie is really a lot better and has way more time put into it. Like he's been doing Bernie for months at his live shows/on podcasts/videos etc without really getting much recognition, and then the SNL debate video gets like 3 million views in a day

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Adomian's impression happen to include looking like Bernie Sanders? Because that's really the most important bit on an SNL impression.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I think he's just kind of frustrated at the amount of attention/praise Larry David's impression is getting when his own Bernie is really a lot better and has way more time put into it. Like he's been doing Bernie for months at his live shows/on podcasts/videos etc without really getting much recognition, and then the SNL debate video gets like 3 million views in a day

Yeah but I think he's failing to see that Larry David wasn't even doing an impression really; the joke was more "Larry David IS Bernie Sanders" moreso than "Larry David is doing an impression of Sanders"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah it's hosed up how this is the first time in history that someone who worked hard didn't get what they wanted

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

a worthy uhh posted:

Yeah it's hosed up how this is the first time in history that someone who worked hard didn't get what they wanted

Right? I feel like this wasn't even something he wanted, it's just something that happened and he got retroactively jealous about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Sooo, are they still planning to lock "archived" (shows older than 6 months old) episodes behind the howl app? Last time I checked they said they delayed it until the Android app launched. Well, the android app is out now and yup it's super bad so I'm sticking with Pocketcasts

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The hosed up thing is he seems to think it's a PERSONAL slight.

quote:

Advice to young comedians: Doesn't matter how good your poo poo is, if you don't have a TV show and a team of publicists you don't exist.

quote:

ICYMI: the entire media decided that I'm not a famous comedian and my #BernieSanders impression doesn't exist: https://youtu.be/BGRAonpLeQg

Like, yes, how DARE anyone NOT know the legendary Adomian Does Bernie Sanders bit. It's like thinking Chris Rock did Who's on First, really!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's a great impression but jesus christ it's an impression that will not be needed in 6 months.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Adomian's impression is good, but it relies a bit much on the nested percentages joke. His Jesse Ventura is a lot better.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Adomian rules and is right.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sooo, are they still planning to lock "archived" (shows older than 6 months old) episodes behind the howl app? Last time I checked they said they delayed it until the Android app launched. Well, the android app is out now and yup it's super bad so I'm sticking with Pocketcasts

Nope! I just went and got a bunch of old Comedy Bang Bangs about half an hour ago.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

Adomian rules and is right.

Adomian is great but that sketch would have resulted in a much different feel if he had played Bernie instead

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Let's just greenlight a TV show for James and solve the root of this problem!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

rotinaj posted:

Does Adomian's impression happen to include looking like Bernie Sanders? Because that's really the most important bit on an SNL impression.

That's why Fred Armisen did Obama all those years!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are we sure they aren't referring to that being the case on the free Howl app, and on the Earwolf site will keep everything up?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Adomian's crazy for being mad at SNL for picking Larry David just because of what an obvious choice it was -- people have been making Curb Your Enthusiasm videos about Sanders for months now. I think Adomian has a point in that his exaggerated (and clearly superior) impression would have more potential to be a definitive role in the public consciousness in the same way Dana Carvey's Bush I, Darrell Hammond's Clinton or Will Ferrell's Bush II all were, but the difference is that he's not actually a cast member on SNL. Larry David isn't either, but on top of resembling Sanders, he actually did write for the show at one point and is a massive celebrity in the comedy world.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Not to mention, if Sanders actually does somehow win, Adomian would have had a perfect audition piece if he were actually interested in being on the show. I doubt he would, but there's no chance of it now. He has to have realized it wouldn't be sustainable to keep having David on and they'd need a regular with an impression.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Adomian's bit is funny for three minutes then really obnoxious. Perfect for SNL

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you do a Ford impersonation in earshot of Chevy Chase he'll punch your lights out.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Practical Demon posted:

Not to mention, if Sanders actually does somehow win, Adomian would have had a perfect audition piece if he were actually interested in being on the show. I doubt he would, but there's no chance of it now. He has to have realized it wouldn't be sustainable to keep having David on and they'd need a regular with an impression.

I honestly think Adomian is too good for SNL. Hasn't stopped a lot of people, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pat Mustard posted:

Nope! I just went and got a bunch of old Comedy Bang Bangs about half an hour ago.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm asking. They were supposed to lock those old episodes to where you can only get them from the Howl app or on the website and not from the normal podcast feed you use with other podcast apps. I'm still able to download all the old episodes of Earwolf's stuff though so does anyone know if that's still the plan?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
They'll probably leave that poo poo open for a while longer due to how bad the rollout of the apps has been, and then someday the paywall will come down as best as they can manage it, with no warning. Seems like the Earwolf kinda thing to do.

The Nerd Poker guys made it sound like Earwolf has a whole building and is a whole... thing. Is Earwolf actually successful so far, or are they borrowing from Peter to pay Paul? I never know if this podcasting business is actually making money or not.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

They were bought by Scripps Publishing last month for millions of dollars.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What's going to happen to the employee cafeteria? How will Sean and Hayes get cereal now?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

If you're a fan of PFT laughs, this weeks spontaneanation is for you. This one almost beat the whole roll of quarters laugh. Maria Blasucci is the absolute best, and this one really goes off the rails in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ArtVandelay posted:

If you're a fan of PFT laughs, this weeks spontaneanation is for you. This one almost beat the whole roll of quarters laugh. Maria Blasucci is the absolute best, and this one really goes off the rails in the best way.

An exceptionally shaggy improv segment, even by Spont standards, but man it had some funny stuff in there. I hope Jeremy Carter is a more regular guest going forward, he killed it.