Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm switching from T-Mobile nerd plan to Fi. I'm almost always around WiFi, so I only use about 1 gig a month. So for me it's roughly the same price, and I gain unlimited calling and coverage in areas where Sprint has coverage that T-Mobile doesn't, which is significant around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
With fi, you also have the looming spectre of possibly running on spring's network which is a fate worse then death

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Id rather have my parents die cause they couldn't call me than roam on sprint

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
As my Nexus 4 is starting to having some rather annoying bugs, it seems that it is pretty much time for me to upgrade to a new phone. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the Nexus 5x? I'm still being quoted 700$ for the S5 or the Xperia Z3 and they're not even the newest models :canada:! Thankfully, the Nexus 5x (32 gb) is priced at around 559 and it really seems like the best option (I also can't stand the size of the 6p, or any phablets for that matter).

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

FunOne posted:

If someone gets their shipping information for their 5x, can you post where the parcel originated?

CAROL STREAM, IL US

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

the nicker posted:

CAROL STREAM, IL US

Yeah same for me. FedEx Ground, 2 pounds. Currently due for delivery Thursday although not yet travelling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Nexus Shipping chat:

I got in with in five seconds of them being available on the play store, my order page says "processing - october 25-27". Did everyone's switch to "shipping" and then it arrived, or did it just magically appear? I've been on vacation, and my mail has been on hold until today, so I'm hoping it's coming in the huge pile of mail and boxes I'll get when I return home.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nexus Shipping chat:

I got in with in five seconds of them being available on the play store, my order page says "processing - october 25-27". Did everyone's switch to "shipping" and then it arrived, or did it just magically appear? I've been on vacation, and my mail has been on hold until today, so I'm hoping it's coming in the huge pile of mail and boxes I'll get when I return home.
Check play.google.com -> cog button -> My Account and it should give you a "leaves warehouse by XX" date. For some reason there are two different places to see the status of the order and only one shows the estimated arrival and only the other shows the shipping date. And by "for some reason" I mean "because Google".

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

Check play.google.com -> cog button -> My Account and it should give you a "leaves warehouse by XX" date. For some reason there are two different places to see the status of the order and only one shows the estimated arrival and only the other shows the shipping date. And by "for some reason" I mean "because Google".

Plot twist: it will ship on another random day that's not listed, because Google. But we will be happy because we can get our cheeto fingers on it sooner, providing we are home to receive it on this randomly selected surprise delivery day. The true Google Experience.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nexus Shipping chat:

They've only started shipping today in the states. Mine switched to shipping a couple hours ago and I got the notification email around the same time.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Well, I finally get off my indecisive rear end today and go to order a 6P and...loving out of stock god drat it. Not sure if it's just Canada or Google's stock in general though, but it's not even a variation specific thing - there is no option to choose even the shittiest colour/storage combo - just out of loving stock. Is this news or am I just the first person to try ordering one since they went out of stock? What kind of an ETA do you think we're talking here - all I could do was sign up for the waitlist but that hasn't sent me poo poo so far - not even a "Welcome to the wait list, we'll let you know when your poo poo arrives".

I ordered the case anyway because well, maybe at least it'll arrive before/if the 6P is ever in stock again.

Semi-related, Android Pay is not on the canadian play store yet and who knows when if ever it will be. I'd like to finally get in on this rewards-card-on-my-phone action since I have a billion of these things and never carry them with me. I know you could do it through Google Wallet, and there are apps like Stocard or Key Ring - but which one is the BEST? Consider I am in :canada: if it matters.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Aluminum and Graphite 32GB are available still in the US, but the others are out of stock. So looks like that's Canada specific, but it's not a ton better here!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

Well, I finally get off my indecisive rear end today and go to order a 6P and...loving out of stock god drat it. Not sure if it's just Canada or Google's stock in general though, but it's not even a variation specific thing - there is no option to choose even the shittiest colour/storage combo - just out of loving stock. Is this news or am I just the first person to try ordering one since they went out of stock? What kind of an ETA do you think we're talking here - all I could do was sign up for the waitlist but that hasn't sent me poo poo so far - not even a "Welcome to the wait list, we'll let you know when your poo poo arrives".

The 6P has been showing as out of stock for several combinations for the last week or so. Last I checked (a day or two ago), I think one or two of the 32 GB versions were still available in the US.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I was desperately trolling google for info and someone posted on Android Central that you can pre-order directly from Huawei and sometimes save on Sales tax depending where you are.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

Not sure how much better an option that is compared to ordering through Google but, I guess it's an option.

[edit] Looks like it's only an option for the US - there's no other country choice when you try to pick for shipping/tax in the checkout. I could order to my mailbox in the US but they'd definitely pull me in to pay tax on the way back and that combined with the lovely exchange rate will cost me more than just waiting with Google. :smith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 20, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
At this point, I don't remember what life was like before I placed my Nexus 6P order.

Important Question: what is the best type of cardboard that a man could use to make a cardboard cutout of his future phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beerinator posted:

At this point, I don't remember what life was like before I placed my Nexus 6P order.

Important Question: what is the best type of cardboard that a man could use to make a cardboard cutout of his future phone?

Type doesn't matter but what's important is cutting two cutouts of the phone perpendicular to each other on the source piece so that once they're glued together they don't have the tendency to bend in the direction of the corrugation.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Type doesn't matter but what's important is cutting two cutouts of the phone perpendicular to each other on the source piece so that once they're glued together they don't have the tendency to bend in the direction of the corrugation.

Thanks! I'm going to try to keep the back metal free so that I can get some Qi charging options.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

the nicker posted:

CAROL STREAM, IL US

Same for me as well. Delivered tomorrow, 10/20.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Overnight a case on amazon and make a mold

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Check your shipping address for your orders.

My Google Wallet default shipping address is a place I lived literally 9 years ago. I saw my phone is shipping today, so I looked at when, and was shocked to see that it's shipping to where my family is from -- a 6 hour drive.

I called, and they can't change it. They can either hold the package, or refund me and have me place another order. Either way, it seems like a fair amount of work that I have to do, for a mistake I didn't make. I haven't even thought of that address in nearly a decade, and I sure as hell didn't type it into a form.

Ironically I am visiting my family this weekend, and the shipping hub is open Saturday, so I told them I'll pick it up.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
If you sign up for Fi you can get the Nexus paid over 2 years @ 0% interest.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

One important addition: place strips of [YOU KNOW WHAT] on the sides of the cardboard for maximum grippabilities®

Thank me later.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Anyone whose had a Note4/S6/Note5/G4/iPhone can you compare the camera? Everything from start up time->auto focus->snap, moving objects, low light, bright light, etc.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

enojy posted:

I remember sending my One M7 back to HTC to have the camera sensor module replaced....
Oh! And the camera sensor went from being a purple-tinged overheating piece of poo poo to a shot-through-a-lemon-lime-Gatorade-filter piece of poo poo.

From many pages ago, but I always wondered what happened to the camera on my M7. It used to take great pictures but then suddenly every low light picture turned into a purple/red mess. I never even bothered to google the issue. Oh well, it led me to get a '14 Moto X which I love.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

5436 posted:

If you sign up for Fi you can get the Nexus paid over 2 years @ 0% interest.

But what if I want to stay on T-Mobile? Is there any loophole, like paying for a month of minimum price on Fi, or just saying "yeah I totally intend to sign up for Fi!"

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

RVProfootballer posted:

But what if I want to stay on T-Mobile? Is there any loophole, like paying for a month of minimum price on Fi, or just saying "yeah I totally intend to sign up for Fi!"

It looks like you can just order it through Fi and never activate on the network (use their sim).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

5436 posted:

It looks like you can just order it through Fi and never activate on the network (use their sim).

Hmm, did see this on their FAQ:

We do not charge any fees if you leave Project Fi. If you buy a new device when you sign up for Project Fi and choose to pay for your device over time, the remaining monthly payments on your device are due if you leave Project Fi.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

RVProfootballer posted:

We do not charge any fees if you leave Project Fi. If you buy a new device when you sign up for Project Fi and choose to pay for your device over time, the remaining monthly payments on your device are due if you leave Project Fi.

Thats pretty awesome. Free 2 year financing. The international data rate plus rebate on months you don't use data are really good perks. Plus you get an entire other network to piggy back on.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

5436 posted:

Anyone whose had a Note4/S6/Note5/G4/iPhone can you compare the camera? Everything from start up time->auto focus->snap, moving objects, low light, bright light, etc.

Note 4 camera is quick to start up, quick to focus, quick to everything. Only slow thing is when you try to view your last shot, it can take like 10 seconds to get there. Picture quality is amazing in good lighting, perfectly acceptable in low light, and pretty good for moving objects.

I've only played with the G4's camera, but it was better than the Note 4 in almost every way from what I could tell. Low light pictures were particularly better.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Holy hell. When I bought my Nexus 5 2 years ago it was reasonably priced, but for some reason Google has decided to price gouge the Japanese market for the 5x. Google wants $500 for the 16GB model direct from them and Softbank wants $600 for that same phone.

Edit: In doing some research it looks like Google has done more agreements with carriers in Japan who are giving subsidies on the phone with new phone contracts. So I bet there were a bunch of agreements with all the carriers to not undercut them on the unlocked version.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="451672744"]
Note 4 camera is quick to start up, quick to focus, quick to everything. Only slow thing is when you try to view your last shot, it can take like 10 seconds to get there. Picture quality is amazing in good lighting, perfectly acceptable in low light, and pretty good for moving objects.

I've only played with the G4's camera, but it was better than the Note 4 in almost every way from what I could tell. Low light pictures were particularly better.

Ahh I meant the Nexus 6P versus those. I've had the Note4/S6, both are very fast and produce great shots.

jdi448hsnvb
Dec 6, 2006

asfd
Hey Android folk, I'm looking for a last ditch way to recover my text messages off of a basically dead Nexus 5.

The issue: when trying to install Marshmallow, it asked me to plug the phone in before starting the install since it was low on battery. I did that, proceeded with the install, and when I came back a while later the phone was useless. I can turn it "on" in the sense that I can get it to vibrate by holding the power button, and the screen is definitely getting power since when I press the power button the screen sort of lights up even though it's black (it looks like a backlight is lighting the black screen). The notification light also flashes sometimes.

I've contacted Google and they sent me a new device. Before I send the dead one to them, however, I would really like to get my old text messages (which I now realize I should have backed up).

What I've tried:
  • Hold the power button and the volume up/down buttons (done this at least 20 times).
  • Took the sim out of it and put it into the new device, hoping that it would transfer texts. This didn't work.
  • Tried fooling around with Nexus Root Toolkit.
  • See if it shows up in Windows Explorer. It does show up, but I can't get to any files. I'm guessing that's because the phone is "locked".
  • Checked Hangouts on the new device while logged in to my Google account. It didn't show the texts on my old phone.

Is there any hope for me?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ErIog posted:

Holy hell. When I bought my Nexus 5 2 years ago it was reasonably priced, but for some reason Google has decided to price gouge the Japanese market for the 5x. Google wants $500 for the 16GB model direct from them and Softbank wants $600 for that same phone.

Edit: In doing some research it looks like Google has done more agreements with carriers in Japan who are giving subsidies on the phone with new phone contracts. So I bet there were a bunch of agreements with all the carriers to not undercut them on the unlocked version.

16gb 5x will be 479€ ($542.63 vs $$379) here. I paid 400€ for my 32gb nexus 5 back then. But hey, you say, the dollar / euro exchange rate was higher back then. Yeah but it was still 'only' ~ $547 (vs $400 in the US) .
And the 32gb will apparently be 529€ ($599.36 vs $429).

Then again, I paid 539€ ($729.10 at the time) for a 16gb Gnex back in the day.

So yeah, I'm probably going to order one anyway (once I can order one, :argh: :google: ), though probably only a 16gb one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Argh, Clove UK notified me about another week of delay for the black 5X. :argh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dammitcharlie posted:

Hey Android folk, I'm looking for a last ditch way to recover my text messages off of a basically dead Nexus 5.

The issue: when trying to install Marshmallow, it asked me to plug the phone in before starting the install since it was low on battery. I did that, proceeded with the install, and when I came back a while later the phone was useless. I can turn it "on" in the sense that I can get it to vibrate by holding the power button, and the screen is definitely getting power since when I press the power button the screen sort of lights up even though it's black (it looks like a backlight is lighting the black screen). The notification light also flashes sometimes.

I've contacted Google and they sent me a new device. Before I send the dead one to them, however, I would really like to get my old text messages (which I now realize I should have backed up).

What I've tried:
  • Hold the power button and the volume up/down buttons (done this at least 20 times).
  • Took the sim out of it and put it into the new device, hoping that it would transfer texts. This didn't work.
  • Tried fooling around with Nexus Root Toolkit.
  • See if it shows up in Windows Explorer. It does show up, but I can't get to any files. I'm guessing that's because the phone is "locked".
  • Checked Hangouts on the new device while logged in to my Google account. It didn't show the texts on my old phone.

Is there any hope for me?

You don't get anything from the screen in any mode? Like if you boot to the bootloader it's still blank?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RVProfootballer posted:

I think people might be misinterpreting this as a way to finance a device without activating service (but I might just be misreading posts). Just in case there is confusion, a better way for Google to have worded this was "the remaining monthly payments on your device come due when you leave Project Fi." Basically, if you're not using Fi, you have to pay off your phone right away.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

I think people might be misinterpreting this as a way to finance a device without activating service (but I might just be misreading posts). Just in case there is confusion, a better way for Google to have worded this was "the remaining monthly payments on your device come due when you leave Project Fi." Basically, if you're not using Fi, you have to pay off your phone right away.

Yeah, this is exactly how I interpreted it. Not on Fi = no financing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For people that have the X Style, how are you liking it? I was debating on that or the Nexus 6 but decided the 6 is a bit too big for my liking. The main thing I'm worried about is the battery life.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

For people that have the X Style, how are you liking it? I was debating on that or the Nexus 6 but decided the 6 is a bit too big for my liking. The main thing I'm worried about is the battery life.

The old Nexus 6 or the Nexus 6p? Because the Moto X Style is like the same size as the 6p but thicker.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mo...hones/9553,9587

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

The old Nexus 6 or the Nexus 6p? Because the Moto X Style is like the same size as the 6p but thicker.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mo...hones/9553,9587

Just the regular 6. I was working on a budget and didn't want to spend $500 on the phone, but I had taken a look at the 6P. Managed to snag a Style for under $350.