Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Moridin920 posted:

The shockwave from a nuclear blast extends far past the fireball.
The radiation emitted from a nuclear blast will set things on fire far beyond the fireball itself too.

This is part of why nuclear explosions are so dangerous to a city. Whole blocks are set on fire in an instant even far from the blast. These fires combine together into one giant inferno that is spread around by wind.

I watched this a few weeks ago. The relevant part starts around 27:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yez_gesztE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Inverness posted:

The radiation emitted from a nuclear blast will set things on fire far beyond the fireball itself too.

This is part of why nuclear explosions are so dangerous to a city. Whole blocks are set on fire in an instant even far from the blast. These fires combine together into one giant inferno that is spread around by wind.

I watched this a few weeks ago. The relevant part starts around 27:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yez_gesztE

Actually, it's not the radiation that sets poo poo on fire, it's the thermal pulse caused by the compression wave. :science:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inverness posted:

I'm at work so I'll watch that later.

You're right that heat radiation from the blast extends past the fireball and thus things will get set on fire, but any opaque object will produce a protective shadow that protects from the flash burn. In those cases it is more common for the object to char rather than to actually catch fire. Plus the intensity falls off the farther away you are.

A 9 Mt explosion (incidentally the largest warhead yield the USA has on the ICBMs) would cause 3rd burns and gale force winds up to ~20 miles away but you won't actually get incinerated - you'll probably just lie there burnt as gently caress and slowly dying from 3rd degree burns over most of your body!

From wiki:

quote:

Actual ignition of materials depends on how long the thermal pulse lasts and the thickness and moisture content of the target. Near ground zero where the energy flux exceeds 125 J/cm2, what can burn, will. Farther away, only the most easily ignited materials will flame. Incendiary effects are compounded by secondary fires started by the blast wave effects such as from upset stoves and furnaces.

Live wood is actually not all that easy to catch on fire. Dead wood sure, but I can easily see how a live tree would just get charred and irradiated rather than actually getting burnt away.

Inverness posted:

That depends greatly on various factors including weather. The Hiroshima bomb caused a firestorm as you describe but the Nagasaki one didn't.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The radiation also sterilizes everything, there are trees around Chernobyl that have been dead for decades but without insects around to eat them they look almost alive.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nevets posted:

The radiation also sterilizes everything, there are trees around Chernobyl that have been dead for decades but without insects around to eat them they look almost alive.

Get out of here Stalker.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's so cool that they angled the trees like that. NV was a hoot but I got so, so sick of seeing orange desert 24/7.
Happy to see a moderate amount of setting diversity. Creeping around and slowly having the grass turn to dirt and then to ash as you approach ground zero would be a little touch that would really sell the gravitas of the setting.

Modding FO3 and parts of NV to have more living flora made playing them more realistic and interesting.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inverness posted:

A few years after the bombing some American researchers went into Japan and talked to war orphans who had survived the blast. One that's stuck with me my entire life described seeing whirlwinds of flame stretching into the sky, scorching the landscape, while half-baked people wailed and thrashed in agony in the street. It's horrific to imagine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sector_corrector posted:

A few years after the bombing some American researchers went into Japan and talked to war orphans who had survived the blast. One that's stuck with me my entire life described seeing whirlwinds of flame stretching into the sky, scorching the landscape, while half-baked people wailed and thrashed in agony in the street. It's horrific to imagine.

If Todd Howard had balls the opening cinematic would be this but with East Coast townies.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Nevets posted:

This sounds like total bullshit to me. There is no way the ambient radiation is enough to kill insects outside of the sarcophagus.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

7c Nickel posted:

This sounds like total bullshit to me. There is no way the ambient radiation is enough to kill insects outside of the sarcophagus.

They just don't want to admit there are giant fire breathing ants around Prypiat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MariusLecter posted:

But will it run 30fps on PC?
With enough mods, I'm sure you can get it down to whatever FPS you want.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

It doesn't kill them outright probably yeah but something is definitely going on:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/forests-around-chernobyl-arent-decaying-properly-180950075/?no-ist

quote:

“The gist of our results was that the radiation inhibited microbial decomposition of the leaf litter on the top layer of the soil,” Mousseau says. This means that nutrients aren’t being efficiently returned to the soil, he adds, which could be one of the causes behind the slower rates of tree growth surrounding Chernobyl.

Although I think it's more likely that insects just don't want to eat charred hosed up wood and go somewhere else so you get the burnt tree husks sitting there for a long long time. You can see that effect after a wildfire. Here's a photo that also illustrates the wood itself not actually burning once the smaller branches and leaves are burnt off, to tie back to the earlier point - reminder that Hiroshima went up in flames because it was a town built from dead wood (live wood really doesn't burn all that well):

I've seen charred wood/plant husks sitting there for years after the fact here in CA - they'll sit there like that until regrowth happens but if everything is all irradiated and thus not regrowing well then I could definitely see burnt plant remains sitting there for decades.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 19, 2015

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

7c Nickel posted:

Isn't the sarcophagus falling apart and in desperate need of replacing?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Yea they've been building a massive new structure that's gonna use rails to slide over the entirety of the reactor building. Calling it "new safe confinement" or something.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Those are vicious capitalist western lies! The protective shell is perfectly intact and will remain so for centuries to come, due to the ingenuity of Soviet Russian scientists and engineers. I have been assured so personally by Premier President Putin.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Three Dog: You need Three Dog's help, and Three Dog needs your help. Let's get together and make it work.
Caesar: The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depend upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily. This is the man of moderation, the man of manly character and of wisdom.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

Three Dog: You need Three Dog's help, and Three Dog needs your help. Let's get together and make it work.
Caesar: The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depend upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily. This is the man of moderation, the man of manly character and of wisdom.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You keep quoting Caesar but all I remember was the *byyarmmsssss* of him being vaporized by my laser.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hihohe posted:

You keep quoting Caesar but all I remember was the *byyarmmsssss* of him being vaporized by my laser.

"Let us not listen to those who think we ought to be angry with our enemies, and who believe this to be great and manly. Nothing is so praiseworthy, nothing so clearly shows a great and noble soul, as clemency and readiness to forgive." - Caesar, 2281

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I don't remember Seizure saying much, either. I just popped into his tent, waved and ran back out with him chasing me.

Past three Fat Mines...:torgue:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Doodles posted:

I don't remember Seizure saying much, either. I just popped into his tent, waved and ran back out with him chasing me.

Past three Fat Mines...:torgue:

If you didn't punch him in the loving mouth with Love and Hate, I feel bad for you son. That's how a real man takes him out.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

If you didn't punch him in the loving mouth with Love and Hate, I feel bad for you son. That's how a real man takes him out.

I shot him from the tent flap with a Fat Man. It landed right in his lap at it should have. Had the nice side effect of killing everything in the tent along with him, myself barely excluded. Nothing a few gallons of Sunset Sarsaparilla couldn't cure.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him." - Caesar, 2281

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Turns out that Prima post was a huge fuckup, it's gone now, so apparently something in it was true and it was not supposed to be revealed yet. Here's the archived page. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...enge-and-create

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

Anyone can create a basic house, but can you create a house that lights up, with wheels and a steering column so you can drive it around as you travel through the area?

:staredog: what

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Given Bethesda's past games I'd be loving amazed if that was true. If it is though then cool. I'm already excited for the wiring/trigger system (gonna make my poo poo all kinds of Dwarf Fortress). If it isn't true I expect that it'll be a mod though.

Having the basic framework for building poo poo is huge for modding - just getting to that point burned modders out and resulted in a half finished settlement building thing but if that's already done then I can't wait to see what kinds of poo poo people come up with (especially once there's a script extender out).

That's why I'm excited. I'm sure the dialogue will suck, the voiced protagonist will be lame, the story will suck, etc. But the modding potential here looks amazing between the power armor stuff, the vertibird stuff, and the settlement stuff.

e: oh and the weapon customization/crafting stuff

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So do you think you could create some sort of sandcrawler-esque settlement and simply get up and move to the next area if you've stripped the surrounding areas of all consumables and resources?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
on the side I'd paint 'GOLDEN HORDE'

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So do you think you could create some sort of sandcrawler-esque settlement and simply get up and move to the next area if you've stripped the surrounding areas of all consumables and resources?

I want a Figaro Castle mod where when the East Coast BOS imperialist scum arrive the wntire town just drills underground, later shitlords

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It would be cool if they reintroduced driving to the game, and made the game world much bigger to accommodate. Like a Fallout game set in the recent Mad Max games wasteland.

Would sort of solve the problem of previous open world Fallout games, where everything is super close together so it all seems kind of theme-parky.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do we know the total relative size of the play area?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
At some point it was mention that it's "similar to Skyrim" but that is pretty vague and it's hard to tell if that's including all the impassible terrain on the mountains and the huge sea to the north.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Do we know the total relative size of the play area?

Depends. Some people did some calculations based on the areas shown in game relative to a central focal point and a map of Boston and said that's about twice as big as Skyrim, but that's just speculation based off trailers.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Nevets posted:

Reactor meltdown and bomb explosions are not the same thing. The radiation from a bomb would disperse in a matter of weeks or months, and would not still be irradiated wasteland years later. But they've addressed that already by basically saying "it's different in fallout"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hopefully the town attacks are actually good, the stuff in that teaser way back when looked like some lovely tower defense game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

RentACop posted:

Hopefully the town attacks are actually good, the stuff in that teaser way back when looked like some lovely tower defense game

You now have turrets strong enough to repel the instant spawning Albino Radscopions that show up whenever you fast travel to a town. Unfortunately, they run off power supplies that you have to resupply towns with or else penisberg is hosed.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Crabtree posted:

You now have turrets strong enough to repel the instant spawning Albino Radscopions that show up whenever you fast travel to a town. Unfortunately, they run off power supplies that you have to resupply towns with or else penisberg is hosed.

I picture it more as an elective tower defense kind of game, with increasing difficulty but with various rewards like XP, gear and trophies. But if I'm pillaging an ancient vault and my pipboy says the Eetfuk Fort is under attack, better get back now -screw that.

Didn't one of the Assassin's Creed games do that? Ugh.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
HATE WINNEBAGO

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I cannot wait to make a murder van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Dad: I just wanted to say... I wanted to say that I'm proud of you. You're a good person, and it shows.
Caesar: A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true.

these are both terrible, in their own special ways

• Locked thread