Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Wait a second.
How does this new system work for those with high WvW ranks that can only gain 1-2 ranks a week now.
e : Nevermind, misread WvW lvl for named ranks.

They didn't mention any retroactive counting of WvW ranks / unspent rank points, and the only item that WvW players could stockpile are being devalued.

e2 : So PvE players will get their already-completed skill/hero challenge points, but WvW players with a thousand levels under their belt will be treated as if they have none.
Yay...

treizebee fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Totbot posted:

The reason I'm interested in it is exactly because the people who play mobas won't be playing the GW2 moba due to it being a not as good version.

As awful as the GW2 population is, its still nothing compared to the poo poo people that mobas get.

GW2's player base is a bunch of sweethearts compared to the shitheads you find in mobas.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

treizebee posted:

Wait a second.
How does this new system work for those with high WvW ranks that can only gain 1-2 ranks a week now.
e : Nevermind, misread WvW lvl for named ranks.

They didn't mention any retroactive counting of WvW ranks / unspent rank points, and the only item that WvW players could stockpile are being devalued.

e2 : So PvE players will get their already-completed skill/hero challenge points, but WvW players with a thousand levels under their belt will be treated as if they have none.
Yay...

A thousand of your pathetic zerg-farm "levels" don't come anywhere near the power gained from eating a weird piece of meat some catlady in a cave gives you.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Instant consuming? We call this "The Arus Maneuver".

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

ArenaNet posted:

To do that, we made it so that unless a minion is specifically targeted by a creature, they will be dealt drastically reduced damage and condition duration from attacks. Currently, this is set to 95% reduction

Oh, look. In four days I will practically double my dps in pve as a mesmer.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
It's actually pretty cool that I won't have to drag my alts all over the pve map to get hero points, but I can see how I really deserve those points anyway and Anet is effectively stealing from me for not honoring my many wvw levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally catching up on HoT news.

Holy poo poo the new staff legendary is perfect. As soon as I saw it I hoped that the projectile animation would let you throw spirit birds and what do you know, that's exactly what it does. That staff is incredible and I must have it.

I kinda like the pistol, too. I'm not cool enough to pull off Quip.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Probad posted:

It's actually pretty cool that I won't have to drag my alts all over the pve map to get hero points, but I can see how I really deserve those points anyway and Anet is effectively stealing from me for not honoring my many wvw levels.

Well to me, it's more like Anet just missed out on a perfect use for the WvW rank points that serve literally no purpose except accumulate after level ~1,100 or something.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

tirinal posted:

Wait, what? Where did you read that?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tirinal posted:

Are we certain this includes illusions? Because if so, gently caress yes.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Sprite141 posted:

Wait, what? Where did you read that?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Upcoming-Global-Change-to-Player-Minions/first#post5625354

Roy Cronacher posted:

Hey all,

As some of you may have seen in raids during the last BWE, we were trying out something new with player minions. Basically, in that final BWE, player minions did not take damage from boss attacks. We thought that made minion-based professions feel so much better in combat, but that change did expose some problems such as minions being able to withstand a damaging attack indefinitely.

We wanted minions to not die left and right, but we did want them to have some attrition instead of being completely immune to attacks. This problem is mainly prevalent in PvE as we have huge attacks all over the place that are meant to be dodged by players but unfortunately for minions, they can’t dodge.

After reviewing BWE results, we wanted to create a better system to accomplish this as a global change for minions. To do that, we made it so that unless a minion is specifically targeted by a creature, they will be dealt drastically reduced damage and condition duration from attacks. Currently, this is set to 95% reduction as we feel like it’s a good starting place, but we’ll continue to monitor and adjust it. This means if your minion gains agro from a creature it will still take full damage, but if there is area effect damage hitting your minion, instead of usually killing it instantly, it will slowly attrition it down.

We felt like minions were in a good place for PvP so we didn’t want to change them there for now. Thus, the interaction between players and minions in PvP combat will remain the same.

The change is for all player minions, this includes things like engineer turrets and ranger spirits as well. This will be in for HoT Launch in a few days. :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And that's a yes on illusions being included under minions for this.

Welp, this is the best change I could hope for as a mostly-PvE Mesmer. I was actually planning on not playing much around the HoT launch (because I'm addicted to Destiny goddamn please send help) but this might've changed my mind.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Looks like it's a blanket change to everything, including ranger pets, turrets, illusions, etc.

New turret dungeon meta inc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seriously, this is a pretty big change for Mesmer DPS, especially in group PvE stuff, especially if it includes cleave damage under "AoE." (I'm guessing yes.) Keeping three phantasms up at all times is going to be a lot easier with drastically reduced AoE damage to illusions and Chronophantasma in play.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
That is actually pretty loving amazing! This should fix the problem with ranger pets dying all the time, and both turrets and spirits being paper thin chances of a skill. At least under AoE.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

And that's a yes on illusions being included under minions for this.

Welp, this is the best change I could hope for as a mostly-PvE Mesmer. I was actually planning on not playing much around the HoT launch (because I'm addicted to Destiny goddamn please send help) but this might've changed my mind.

Don't worry, you'll get bored of destiny once you've done the raid a few times and are just waiting on that goddamn ghost shell. Also hard mode kings fall comes out the same day as HoT, so lol.

You know, with phantasms staying up longer combined with the new shatter skill and phantasm respawn trait, we might see mind wrack being used a bit more tactically.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
So I'm about to hit 80 on my first dude (Guardian, ended up doing him over a necro).

Most of the info I can find online is somewhat out of date, is berserker direct damage build the best one? Is sinister burn any good? While leveling I was having fun using whirling wrath/judge's intervention and just pulling everything under the sun with gs5, whacking the reset on justice, and burning the living poo poo out of zombies. Is that poopoo in real person content and I should just get soldiers/zerk? Is this poo poo all gonna change in 4 days or is DH gonna be a fun wvw thing and not a real meta thing?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
WvW levels do serve a purpose, as soon as you hit mithril all longbow attacks home in on you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyer posted:

Don't worry, you'll get bored of destiny once you've done the raid a few times and are just waiting on that goddamn ghost shell. Also hard mode kings fall comes out the same day as HoT, so lol.

You know, with phantasms staying up longer combined with the new shatter skill and phantasm respawn trait, we might see mind wrack being used a bit more tactically.

I'm not geared for the hard mode yet anyway, so that doesn't matter to me :v:

But yeah, this change is pretty much great all around for Mesmer. I even feel like I can use "support" phantasms more freely because I know that a) they'll probably live long enough to do useful things and b) I can reasonably assume my other two damaging phantasms will stay alive long enough that I'm still contributing to damage well. Phantasmal Avenger, here I come! And shatters, too, thanks to Chronophantasma. I won't have to feel so bad about a panic Distortion or, like you said, a quick Mind Wrack. Or using Continuum Split to use Time Warp and essentially give Time Warp a 90-second cooldown instead of a three-minute cooldown.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Oh my god you mean my pets will actually survive longer than 10 seconds in a fight? :aaaaa:

why the gently caress wasn't this done sooner anet jesus christ

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Visidan posted:

WvW levels do serve a purpose, as soon as you hit mithril all longbow attacks home in on you.

Child's play.
Real mithril's get chained moa'd.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Oh my god you mean my pets will actually survive longer than 10 seconds in a fight? :aaaaa:

Finally I can bearbow Teq now. All bearbow all the time :getin:

spidergoats
May 20, 2001
Can't wait for that reduction to accidentally apply to players.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Enemu posted:

So I'm about to hit 80 on my first dude (Guardian, ended up doing him over a necro).

Most of the info I can find online is somewhat out of date, is berserker direct damage build the best one? Is sinister burn any good? While leveling I was having fun using whirling wrath/judge's intervention and just pulling everything under the sun with gs5, whacking the reset on justice, and burning the living poo poo out of zombies. Is that poopoo in real person content and I should just get soldiers/zerk? Is this poo poo all gonna change in 4 days or is DH gonna be a fun wvw thing and not a real meta thing?

Sinister guardian is indeed good but so is berserker. I wouldn't worry too much about which one you pick if you just hit 80, as the rare/exotic gear you'll likely be using is cheap enough to just salvage when you upgrade. Make sure you get cheap food and runes as well, especially for the sinister build.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

spidergoats posted:

Can't wait for that reduction to accidentally apply to players.

I'm actually hoping for really stupid bugs like damage reduction on redirected hits (e.g. Phantasmal Defender, Bulwark Gyro)

this will be an exciting, bug-filled launch

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Hey cut them some slack, it takes a long time to come up with a solution that WoW came up with 10 years ago.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Man, Spirit Weapons might become somewhat usable. At least Sword of Justice since its damage isn't terrible.

Considering I first rolled my Guardian at launch because the concept art for Spirit Weapons looked badass and I haven't used them since, that makes me happy.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

RottenK posted:

thick leather sections are falling in price again

oh well, i'm used to losing all my gold to idiotic ventures

time to farm up some more for the next time i need to throw it all away by hopping on a price bubble too late :v:
Did I get hosed buying all these lower end cores and leather scraps or what?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Please join my raid group, Bearbow Druids only

Sair
May 11, 2007

Everyone come to our Goon Cave.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

Did I get hosed buying all these lower end cores and leather scraps or what?

We don't know yet, that's why it's speculation. Gotta wait for hot to come out before we know if they'll spike for good. That earlier spike was from all the dumbshit pubbies trying to margin trade thick leather because they watched wolf of wall street that one time.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Enemu posted:

Berserker Guardian has more room for group utility in its build, but Sinister is better damage in long fights or sustained AoE situations. Usually it's safest just to run Berserker stat builds for the occasions you run into enemies that are immune to Burning, or cleanse conditions. We are supposed to be getting more enemies with actually inflated toughness values to make condition damage better but so far there's like, one type, in one zone.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_GS_Mace/Focus/Torch
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Sinister_Condition

Sinister Guardian doesn't play a whole lot different from Berserker Guardian, compared to Ranger and Engineer whose condition builds use different weapons than their power builds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tivac, please kiss your design team for me.
I've been trying my best to be a minion master Necro for years but all the power Necros just shove me into a locker.

My day... has arrived!

No, wait, Flesh Golem is still just standing around instead of attacking.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Berserker Guardian has more room for group utility in its build, but Sinister is better damage in long fights or sustained AoE situations. Usually it's safest just to run Berserker stat builds for the occasions you run into enemies that are immune to Burning, or cleanse conditions. We are supposed to be getting more enemies with actually inflated toughness values to make condition damage better but so far there's like, one type, in one zone.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_GS_Mace/Focus/Torch
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Sinister_Condition

Sinister Guardian doesn't play a whole lot different from Berserker Guardian, compared to Ranger and Engineer whose condition builds use different weapons than their power builds.

I don't want to buy a Berserker set and then in hot find out it's bad :negative:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sair posted:

Everyone come to our Goon Cave.

Just like home.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

This is the superior choice.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Enemu posted:

I don't want to buy a Berserker set and then in hot find out it's bad :negative:

That's not possible in this game.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Enemu posted:

Berserker is the one stat package you can be confident will NEVER be bad.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to be a negative nancy and say that it's too much. I'd rather see them get buffed to be on par/above the non-minion options and have something more skill based like sharing blocks or evade frames but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

So I mentioned that I was having a hard time transitioning from ele to warrior and not really enjoying my engi.

gently caress both of those.

Took warrior into spvp as greathammer/greatsword with I think soldiers ammy. Thaaaaaat was hilarious, and it feels like they have just enough tools to do their job. Looking forward to trying other weapons.

As for engi, I was wondering why he felt just substantially weaker than my ele. Turns out when I left he was in full MF gear and I never reselected stats for his gear. Wheeeeeee grenades for daaaays

I also got the dire ascended pistol from a dungeon pvp track. Is there a way to make it better?

Degs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread