Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The only good scene in Marley & Me is when Owen Wilson takes Marley out back and double-triggers a shotgun on him. It's a super intense scene, esp. with the lingering shot on the blown out brains.

Yeah but I feel like the sex scene between Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston on Marley's corpse immediately afterwards was a little too art house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Killing the puppies seemed like just more Hollywood bullshit though. I mean we get it you murdered 6 puppies in one take, yay for you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gaunab posted:

Yeah but I feel like the sex scene between Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston on Marley's corpse immediately afterwards was a little too art house.

To be honest, that worked for me. They'd gone through so much with that damned mutt and so it was a fitting farewell to get their bone on ontop of Marley. A sendoff of sorts to Marley and also to the real dog they kiled during filming.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

You should watch the Evil Dead remake. In the original film there is a creepy room in the basement where animal bones have been hung from the ceiling by strings in an apperent homage to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the remake those bones have been replaced by dead cats.

He should watch the Toxic Avenger. Actually, everybody should.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You should watch the Evil Dead remake. In the original film there is a creepy room in the basement where animal bones have been hung from the ceiling by strings in an apperent homage to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the remake those bones have been replaced by dead cats.

Makes you think what they will hang there in the inevitable remake of the remake a few years down the line.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Evilreaver posted:

I marathoned ER, all 8 seasons (on netflix anyway) to count how many times they defib'd flatlnes.

Answer: Two, both were cast members who were dying, both times other doctors yelled at them for trying, neither time worked

That's pretty cool actually. ER was legit and it gets lumped in with poo poo like Greys Anatomy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think ER actually had real medical personnel as advisors.

Nowadays, they just stuff a scene with whatever equipment they have the budget to rent and flesh out their scripts using a generic poster covered with random bits of medical jargon they toss darts at.

Like how in Star Trek the scripts had "technobabble" or whatever it was whenever the script called for reversing the polarity of the deflector array's warp core's trilithium crystals and they'd just fill it in later.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Scrubs was surprisingly good for medical accuracy too. They weren't afraid to stretch it when it served a dramatic or comedic purpose, but generally they werent too irritating

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Apart form that X-ray in the opening being on backwards :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0wnKVmHRU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My irrationally irritating moment inThe Martian is that he complains about only having disco music to listen to because a) disco is good gently caress you and b) why didn't he take his own music I mean one extra sd card wouldn't have added that much weight to the mission.

And also that Sean Bean resigned instead of burying Jeff Daniels for skipping the safety checks, though I guess he may have received a large severance payoff or something

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My irrationally irritating moment inThe Martian is that he complains about only having disco music to listen to because a) disco is good gently caress you and b) why didn't he take his own music I mean one extra sd card wouldn't have added that much weight to the mission.

And also that Sean Bean resigned instead of burying Jeff Daniels for skipping the safety checks, though I guess he may have received a large severance payoff or something

I thought they skipped the safety checks on purpose in order to not delay the mission, since keeping him alive was more important?. They made it out like he was being a total bro and was taking the bullet so they could keep working to save Matt Damon.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Scrubs was surprisingly good for medical accuracy too. They weren't afraid to stretch it when it served a dramatic or comedic purpose, but generally they werent too irritating

Scrubs was great about it except for.one specific example where the rude doctor told the weird main character doctor to just give as much Tylenol as he felt like.

That's actually really really bad advice.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Captain Monkey posted:

Scrubs was great about it except for.one specific example where the rude doctor told the weird main character doctor to just give as much Tylenol as he felt like.

That's actually really really bad advice.

He wasn't being serious though. He was very blatantly mocking J.D. for supposedly being a Doctor but needing to ask his superiors how much Tylenol to give a patient.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But that's a valid question for a new doctor to ask? Tylenol is actually moderately dangerous at not that much higher levels than its usually used, and various ailments can cause Tylenol to be a much bigger problem especially over a period of time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My IMM for the Martian is that Damon would be up poo poo creek without a paddle from day 1, he says there were supplies to feed the 6-man crew for 68 days when they were only supposed to be there for 31 because of "redundancies". It costs approximately four gazillion dollars to send poo poo into space and literally every ounce of a spacecraft's payload costs tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and calculations. If something had gone wrong on Mars and all six crewmen were trapped past the launch window they'd be hosed, NASA wouldn't send extra food so they could sit around for four weeks longer pondering their impending doom.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Sean Bean got fired because he instigated a mutiny by sending the rejected mission plan to Damon's shipmates. The resigning was just their way of letting everyone save face and avoiding a big scandal. Also yeah going quietly likely means a severance package and a good pension. He could have come forward with a bunch of dirt out of spite but that would just be ruining his own future career prospects to embarrass Nasa, it wouldn't save his job.

Ryoshi posted:

My IMM for the Martian is that Damon would be up poo poo creek without a paddle from day 1, he says there were supplies to feed the 6-man crew for 68 days when they were only supposed to be there for 31 because of "redundancies". It costs approximately four gazillion dollars to send poo poo into space and literally every ounce of a spacecraft's payload costs tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and calculations. If something had gone wrong on Mars and all six crewmen were trapped past the launch window they'd be hosed, NASA wouldn't send extra food so they could sit around for four weeks longer pondering their impending doom.

The extra food would be for a situation like a massive storm delaying their departure by a few weeks. It's to cover situations where they're stuck on the surface of mars longer than expected, in most scenarios they'd still have the ship in orbit to get home. Damon only had to hold out as long as he did because the ship had already hosed off back to Earth which wouldn't be the case if the whole crew were stuck on the surface.

Lagomorphic has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Oct 19, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
My IMM is basically how almost every action hero is ridiculously in shape while living on a really crap diet and never exercising. It's one of the reasons I liked Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone. He looks like a guy with a moderate amount of muscle without being some chiseled greek god.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the first season, it was supposed to be a quick joke that some of the characters are new doctors and will mess up. There was a longer opening for a few episodes at the start of the second season, but they went back to the original for some reason.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

My IMM is basically how almost every action hero is ridiculously in shape while living on a really crap diet and never exercising. It's one of the reasons I liked Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone. He looks like a guy with a moderate amount of muscle without being some chiseled greek god.

Michael Douglas was a sex symbol.

Let that sink in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Elizabeth Banks fixed it in one episode.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

10 Beers posted:

Elizabeth Banks fixed it in one episode.

Watch the clip.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Sean Bean got fired because he instigated a mutiny by sending the rejected mission plan to Damon's shipmates. The resigning was just their way of letting everyone save face and avoiding a big scandal. Also yeah going quietly likely means a severance package and a good pension. He could have come forward with a bunch of dirt out of spite but that would just be ruining his own future career prospects to embarrass Nasa, it wouldn't save his job.

The movie didn't do much with it so it's really more related to the book.
The book has a lot more NASA shenanigans playing out and I was very happy that they glossed over it in the movie. Sean Beans position that the crew should make the decision to go back or not is obviously idiotic in a real world setting. No, no they shouldn't. That's what the huge team of experts and fancy job titles on Earth is for. In the book they ask him what happens if it fails and they die horribly and he literally goes "Oh well it was their decision". No, gently caress you, you don't get to goad people into a high risk scenario and then just absolve yourself of guilt. Like let's say it was a grunt lost behind enemy lines in Afghanistan or whatever. There's only one squad available to get them and the generals decide it's too dangerous to risk it. Then an officer decides to give the location and route to the squad and goes "Well I'm not saying you should go get your friend but this is where he is and that's how you get him. If you go and all die then that was a decision you made nothing to do with me lol" gently caress. You.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah that drives me insane too. It's hard work getting a six pack, it takes a lot of exercise and diet to get there. If a character has chiseled abs, it should say something about them, not just be the default setting. Movies like Die Hard and Blade Runner would have been worse if their main characters were all built like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor because it would be dumb and not make sense. Guardians of the Galaxy having Star Lord be loving ripped was (while nice to look at) nonsense for a manchild like he was.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His dad is a Space-God of some sort though so he was probably born with six pack. A tiny baby six pack.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Also why Stevenson is the best Punisher. Dude can wreck poo poo but basically looks like a big angry dad. Just like you'd imagine a dude who lives on potted meat would look like.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Solenna posted:

Yeah that drives me insane too. It's hard work getting a six pack, it takes a lot of exercise and diet to get there. If a character has chiseled abs, it should say something about them, not just be the default setting. Movies like Die Hard and Blade Runner would have been worse if their main characters were all built like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor because it would be dumb and not make sense. Guardians of the Galaxy having Star Lord be loving ripped was (while nice to look at) nonsense for a manchild like he was.

Space-roids? And really Chris Pratt had some muscle and very little definition except for being dehydrated for that prison shower scene, so not totally implausible for his character.

Paul Rudd's abs-only physique for Ant-Man actually worked against his characterisation though

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Armyman25 posted:

I liked End of Days for that. It had Arnold at the tail end of that part of his career, but he still had the frame of a body builder so what'cha gonna do to explain how he looks like that while being the schlubbiest schlub who ever schlubbed? You have a scene where he just dumps everything even half-edible in his apartment into the blender and drinks that poo poo. A quality diet that helps you maintain your action hero physique.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Paul Rudd's abs-only physique for Ant-Man actually worked against his characterisation though

Bear in mind he'd just finished a stint in jail, so probably used that time to get some muscle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ChogsEnhour posted:

Stevenson is the best Punisher.
:):respek::) Him and Wayne Knight are way better than that film deserves. I'm really glad that fan campaign to get a third punisher film off the ground with Tom Jane in it failed.

Also, is it just me or are most of the cast in that really struggling with their accents? Jimmy McNulty especially sounds like something out of Top Cat but maybe I've just got no idea of what a New Yorker sounds like and he was doing stellar work. :shrug:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

As long as we don't dial it back to those bad old days when you're all 'Oh wow Cary Grant is such a dish in that nice suit' and then he takes his shirt off and although he isnt in bad shape there is still a little flacidity to his mantits and those arms looks a little noodly. Or maybe I'm thinking of James Stewart.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dr Scoofles posted:

As long as we don't dial it back to those bad old days when you're all 'Oh wow Cary Grant is such a dish in that nice suit' and then he takes his shirt off and although he isnt in bad shape there is still a little flacidity to his mantits and those arms looks a little noodly. Or maybe I'm thinking of James Stewart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSqr9XJNQc

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Space-roids? And really Chris Pratt had some muscle and very little definition except for being dehydrated for that prison shower scene, so not totally implausible for his character.

The only requirement for having abs is a low enough fat percentage. Worked for his character fine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nutsngum posted:

The only requirement for having abs is a low enough fat percentage.

With the right lighting, makeup and some hemorrhoid cream, even that's not essential.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nutsngum posted:

The only requirement for having abs is a low enough fat percentage. Worked for his character fine.

Usually said by people who have never done a core workout in their lives. Prominent abs take work.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In the Underworld series, do they ever explain why the Vampire lords go into hibernation? They're immortal, so it's not like they're gonna die of old age. Not only do at least two of the three get relegated to being stuffed under the throne room at any given time, but they even seem to have 'gaps' where all three are down there. This seems dumb and gives plot convenient reasons on incompetent underlings getting up to poo poo while the boss is asleep.

They're not only immortal but seem to follow the 'Really old vampires are the strongest' rule so I don't see why they don't all just stay awake all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Panfilo posted:

In the Underworld series, do they ever explain why the Vampire lords go into hibernation? They're immortal, so it's not like they're gonna die of old age. Not only do at least two of the three get relegated to being stuffed under the throne room at any given time, but they even seem to have 'gaps' where all three are down there. This seems dumb and gives plot convenient reasons on incompetent underlings getting up to poo poo while the boss is asleep.

They're not only immortal but seem to follow the 'Really old vampires are the strongest' rule so I don't see why they don't all just stay awake all the time.

Dunno about Underworld in particular, but in a lot of vampire stories they basically get more powerful as they age, but they reach a point where they start having to sleep more and more, so a millennia-old vampire is incredibly powerful when he's awake, but he sleeps for hundreds of years at a time. It's basically a plot device to allow for an unimaginably powerful bad guy without raising the question of why he hasn't already taken over the world.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr Scoofles posted:

Saw Murder, My Sweet the other day and the femme fatale barges in on Philip Marlowe in an undershirt and says something like "you're in pretty good shape for a private eye"

He looks like a dad in his 40s, so it was pretty lol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's pretty cool actually. ER was legit and it gets lumped in with poo poo like Greys Anatomy

I remember my physics teacher ranting about ER being complete bullshit, while saying that Stargate is a more scientifically realistic show. In my heart he is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asteroids!