Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not surprising, given how much "Fans" decried the prequels.

I mean...they were poo poo movies. They wouldn't even be considered worth mentioning if the Star Wars name hadn't been on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Gate posted:

I mean...they were poo poo movies. They wouldn't even be considered worth mentioning if the Star Wars name hadn't been on them.

Yeah, the prequels stank by any metric. You don't need to spend 50 hours deconstructing them frame by frame on YouTube to come to that opinion.

I just think its kind of funny (and maybe a bad sign) that Episode 7 is trying so hard to be like an unending parade of callbacks to A New Hope. X-Wings versus TIE Fighters! The Millennium Falcon! Han Solo and Chewbacca and Luke and Leia and sweeping desert vistas and a cute droid and stormtroopers and a guy in dark armor with a lightsaber and a Death Star and

Oh and some new characters or something, I guess.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's actually pretty cool that a black man was the first character seen in the first teaser. and the other main character is a woman. that's a pretty cool thing for an old franchise with hundreds of millions of fans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

People said there was supposed to be a new trailer too. Any idea when? Also you guys should get star wars card trader so we could trade cards @ each other. I've been playing it to satisfy my magic card pack cravings for free. :3:

Trailer hits tomorrow during Monday Night Football. There's a teaser for the trailer because that's what happens these days. This is relevant to this thread because Poe is an X-Wing pilot and the new Handsomest Man In Star Wars.

Edit: Here is the OTHER teaser-for-the-trailer

EDIT: There's a THIRD one, and it has lots of TIEs

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

alg posted:

it's actually pretty cool that a black man was the first character seen in the first teaser. and the other main character is a woman. that's a pretty cool thing for an old franchise with hundreds of millions of fans.

And you should see the number of assholes who have been freaking out about it on the internet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Yeah; the "big three" of this trilogy are all Hollywood Minorities. A woman is front-and-center on the official poster, a black guy was (as you said) the first person we saw in the first teaser, and Poe is played by a Guatemalan American.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So how does the firing arc on a decimator work? 360 because of the arrow?

Also what's the difference between green/red/yellow firing arcs? Is that based on faction?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yes and yes. Green for Imperial, red for Rebels, yellow for Scum.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Deviant posted:

So how does the firing arc on a decimator work? 360 because of the arrow?

Also what's the difference between green/red/yellow firing arcs? Is that based on faction?

Yeah, the circular arrow lets you fire 360 degrees around the ship, although the 90 degree firing arc on the front of the base is still used for a few things that need it, like Tactician or triggering/avoiding autothrusters.

The colours are just rebel (red) imp (green) and scum (yellow).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
e: Wow, I completely misread that poster for a moment.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ro5s posted:

Yeah, the circular arrow lets you fire 360 degrees around the ship, although the 90 degree firing arc on the front of the base is still used for a few things that need it, like Tactician or triggering/avoiding autothrusters.

This is super important and bears repeating. There are no ships with 360° firing arcs. The phrase "360° firing arc" leads to unnecessary confusion. There are ships with turret weapons which can fire at ships outside their firing arcs, but they still have their standard firing arc which is used for ordnance, cannons, card abilities, etc.

Also, less importantly, the standard firing arc isn't quite 90°. It's more like 80°.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Poopy Palpy posted:

This is super important and bears repeating. There are no ships with 360° firing arcs. The phrase "360° firing arc" leads to unnecessary confusion. There are ships with turret weapons which can fire at ships outside their firing arcs, but they still have their standard firing arc which is used for ordnance, cannons, card abilities, etc.

Also, less importantly, the standard firing arc isn't quite 90°. It's more like 80°.

This is very true and it's an important distinction when people try to tell you auxiliary arcs aren't 'real' firing arcs for things like outmaneuver and autothrusters.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the prequels stank by any metric. You don't need to spend 50 hours deconstructing them frame by frame on YouTube to come to that opinion.

I just think its kind of funny (and maybe a bad sign) that Episode 7 is trying so hard to be like an unending parade of callbacks to A New Hope. X-Wings versus TIE Fighters! The Millennium Falcon! Han Solo and Chewbacca and Luke and Leia and sweeping desert vistas and a cute droid and stormtroopers and a guy in dark armor with a lightsaber and a Death Star and

Oh and some new characters or something, I guess.

Ep 3 was pretty decent. The stupid "Noooooo" scene really ruins it though. Honestly, someone gets decapitated in the first 10 minutes. Ep 3 gave no fucks.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

waah posted:

Ep 3 was pretty decent. The stupid "Noooooo" scene really ruins it though. Honestly, someone gets decapitated in the first 10 minutes. Ep 3 gave no fucks.

Ep 3 was the least bad of the three prequels - Because it's really really hard to completely gently caress up a story that has as much potential as Darth Vader's fall to the dark side. George really, really tried, though, and Hayden Christianssen's acting didn't help, either. It's not a terrible movie like Phantom and Clone Wars, but nor is it a good one.

It even managed to make Obi Wan and Vader's duel tedious.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 19, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That bit fails for me because of the fad for the way lightsaber duels were fought. Yes, the 'big Templar Broadsword' method that we got in RotJ makes no sense in a world where the swords are made of light, but it just looked way cooler. Contrast the fight between Luke & Vader at the end of RotJ and Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of RotS, especially the very final section after Vader taunts Luke.

It's actually the saving grace for me of the Kylo Ren crossguard nonsense; It implies the fighting style might swing back towards that kind of swordplay.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shockeh posted:

That bit fails for me because of the fad for the way lightsaber duels were fought. Yes, the 'big Templar Broadsword' method that we got in RotJ makes no sense in a world where the swords are made of light, but it just looked way cooler. Contrast the fight between Luke & Vader at the end of RotJ and Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of RotS, especially the very final section after Vader taunts Luke.

It's actually the saving grace for me of the Kylo Ren crossguard nonsense; It implies the fighting style might swing back towards that kind of swordplay.

Honestly I find all the star wars movies to be hokey and have bad dialogue(the dialogue kills me in all the movies, ESB felt like the least bad of the lot in this regard). The prequels felt more indulgent but then they did have more complex plots and ideas going on.

I came to x-wang for the game, not the star wars.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

There's kind of a in-universe explanation that makes sense - All the duels in the OT are fought between a old, crippled man (Vader) and either a even older (but less crippled) man (Obi-Wan) or a teenager with very little formal training who has no idea what he's doing (Luke). All the duels in the prequels are fought between serious fuckin' Jedi and Sith at the top of their game.

But yes, they look dumb and tedious. I do like Maul vs Obi and Qui-Gon, because it's just so different from the rest of them, and that super-fast acrobatic style was new at the time. But like everything else in the prequels, any enjoyment is quickly strangled by excess. One fast, acrobatic duel would have been cool. But then George goes and force-feeds them to us like we're a duck in a foie gras factory until we absolutely hate them.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Even The Old Republic cinematics work out that 'big swings' are better than the fast super-acrobatic system. Hell, even Ryan vs Dorkman worked this out.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

alg posted:

I look forward to much more diverse wooden acting and bad dialogue :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I personally cannot wait to play more of Star Wars Movie Critic: The Miniatures Game. I hear the second wave will feature Youtube videos and Angry Blogs!

I'm thinking of taking this to a store tournament this weekend. Had moderate success with the 666 lately, and having one barrel roll around the board is a funny image.

Bossk (35)
Expert Handling (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Total: 99

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I ran that list I mentioned before:

quote:

Redline + FCS + Cluster Missiles + Ion Torpedoes + Extra Munitions
Chripy + Expose + Ysanne + Rebel Captive + Experimental Interface

And it is getting work done. Throwing the ion missiles out first seems to derail the "Well I'll just kill the Punisher before it fires" plan somewhat.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

enigmahfc posted:

and having one barrel roll around the board is a funny image.

Wait...is there anything to prevent a large ship from using BB-8?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kai Tave posted:

Man, Episode 7 really is just "boy the original Star Wars really was great wasn't it?"

This is the exact same thing JJ did for the Star Trek movies, so why would you assume any different.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This Post Sucks posted:

None have Astromech slots so far

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

This Post Sucks posted:

The lack of large ships with Astromech slots is a big hurdle here.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Guri (30)
lonewolf (2)
autothrusters (2)

Mandalorian Mercenary (35)

Trandoshan Slaver (29)
tactician (2)

Total: 100

Had some success with this, A+++ would fly again

Irom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 20, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You can put BB-8 on anything, as long as you have a stapler and determination.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I came to x-wang for the game, not the star wars.

I feel like I've fallen into some kind of bizzaro dimension.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

alg posted:

None have Astromech slots so far

Poopy Palpy posted:

The lack of large ships with Astromech slots is a big hurdle here.

Ah, that would do it! Sorry for the silly question, I've just started playing. Thanks for the answers!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The JumpMaster is going to have a salvaged astromech slot, though!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, looks like Imperials dominated NZ nationals thanks to Darth Vader. Wonder if folks will stop whining about TLT now. Lots of Emperor too. Here's hoping the Ghost's crew is excellent

quote:

New Zealand 2015 National Champion: Imperial- : 99pts 36 points: Darth Vader TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Lone Wolf, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer. 39 points: “Whisper” TIE Phantom, Fire-Control System, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device. 24 points: Lieutenant Colzet TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer.

Runner Up (2nd) Rebel: 100pts 61 points: Han Solo YT-1300, Predator, C-3PO, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon, Engine Upgrade. 39 points: Miranda Doni K-Wing, Twin Laser Turret, Chewbacca.

3rd Imperial: 99pts 35 points: Darth Vader TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer. 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Stealth Device, Autothrusters. 29 points: Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Emperor Palpatine.

4th Imperial: 100pts 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 34 points: Carnor Jax TIE Interceptor, Push the Limit, Royal Guard TIE, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 31 points: Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Fire-Control System, Emperor Palpatine.

5th Imperial: 99pts 35 points: Darth Vader TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer. 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 29 points Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Emperor Palpatine.

6th Imperial: 99pts 35 points: Darth Vader TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Crack Shot,Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer. 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 29 points: Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Emperor Palpatine.

7th Rebel: 100pts 42 points: Corran Horn E-Wing, R2-D2, Fire-Control System, Veteran Instincts. 58 points: Dash Rendar YT-2400 Freighter, Push the Limit, Heavy Laser Cannon, Kyle Katarn, Outrider, Engine Upgrade.

8th Imperial: 99pts 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 40 points: “Redline” TIE Punisher, Fire-Control System, Plasma Torpedoes Extra Munitions, Cluster Missiles, Seismic Charges. 24 points: Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Darth Vader.

9th Imperial: 42 points: “Echo” TIE Phantom, Gunner, Fire-Control System, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device. 58 points: Captain Oicunn VT-49 Decimator, Determination, Gunner, Darth Vader, Ysanne Isard, Counter-Measures.

10th Imperial: 100pts 34 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Targeting Computer. 44 points: “Redline” TIE Punisher, Fire-Control System, Extra Munitions, Proton Torpedoes, Cluster Missiles, Proton Bombs. 22 points: Tempest Squadron Pilot TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer.

11th [Me!] Imperial: 100pts 22 points: “Howlrunner” TIE Fighter, Crack Shot, Hull Upgrade. 18 points: Mauler Mithel TIE Fighter, Crack Shot. 15 points: Black Squadron Pilot #1 TIE Fighter, Crack Shot. 15 points: Black Squadron Pilot #2 TIE Fighter, Crack Shot. 15 points: Black Squadron Pilot #3 TIE Fighter, Crack Shot. 15 points: Black Squadron Pilot #4 TIE Fighter, Crack Shot.

12th Rebel: 100pts 25 points: Blue Squadron Pilot B-Wing, B-Wing/E2, Tactician. 26 points: Gold Squadron Pilot Y-Wing, R3-A2, Twin Laser Turret. 25 points: Rebel Operative HWK-290, Twin Laser Turret, Moldy Crow. 12 points: Bandit Squadron Pilot #1 Z-95 Headhunter. 12 points: Bandit Squadron Pilot #2 Z-95 Headhunter. 13th

Imperial: 98pts 30 points: Maarek Stele TIE Advanced, TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II, Advanced Targeting Computer. 35 points: Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor, Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device. 33 points: Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle, Emperor Palpatine, Engine Upgrade.

14th Scum and Villainy: 100pts 48 points: Boba Fett Firespray-31, Push the Limit, Gunner, Inertial Dampeners. 52 points: Kath Scarlet Firespray-31, Opportunist, Heavy Laser Cannon K4 Security Droid.

15th Rebel: 100pts 48 points: Corran Horn E-Wing, R2-D2, Fire-Control System, Push the Limit, Engine Upgrade. 13 points: Tala Squadron Pilot #1 Z-95 Headhunter. 13 points: Tala Squadron Pilot #2 Z-95 Headhunter. 13 points: Tala Squadron Pilot #3 Z-95 Headhunter. 13 points: Tala Squadron Pilot #4 Z-95 Headhunter.

16th Scum and Villainy: 100pts 48 points: IG88-B Aggressor, Predator, Advanced Sensors, Ion Cannon, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters. 52 points: IG88-C Aggressor, Predator, Advanced Sensors, Heavy Laser Cannon, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters.

alg fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 19, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Someone was saying that there were no 4x TLT lists in the event, or something like that, and very few with 2-3. May our may not mean anything for the US meta.

There was a video of Paul Heaver playing an event against Doug Kinney, though, and neither had TLTs in their lists, so who knows. Paul's list was Poe, Green Squadron, and 3 Talas. Doug had Crack Shot, HLC, FCS brobots. Two really odd lists.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

Someone was saying that there were no 4x TLT lists in the event, or something like that, and very few with 2-3. May our may not mean anything for the US meta.

There was a video of Paul Heaver playing an event against Doug Kinney, though, and neither had TLTs in their lists, so who knows. Paul's list was Poe, Green Squadron, and 3 Talas. Doug had Crack Shot, HLC, FCS brobots. Two really odd lists.

My guess is those guys not wanting to tip their hand for their Worlds lists, though I always find it bizarre that people do that. I'm successful in my local tournaments and everybody knows what I do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Paul always uses weird lists to try new things during other games - even store champs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

Wow, looks like Imperials dominated NZ nationals thanks to Darth Vader. Wonder if folks will stop whining about TLT now. Lots of Emperor too. Here's hoping the Ghost's crew is excellent

I never thought to try a swarm with Crack Shot before, how did it work out for you?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I never thought to try a swarm with Crack Shot before, how did it work out for you?

I'm not that guy, but I'm a guy who has run swarms with Crack Shot.

It's really good. Each crack shot is basically one free damage. 6 free damage is pretty huge.

The basic setup is Howlrunner + 5 Black Squadrons, all with crack shot. You have a few extra points leftover from that to either upgrade some of the Blacks to TIE Fighter aces, put some modifications on them, or upgrade two of them to TIE F/O Omega Squadrons with Crack Shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

I'm not that guy, but I'm a guy who has run swarms with Crack Shot.

It's really good. Each crack shot is basically one free damage. 6 free damage is pretty huge.

The basic setup is Howlrunner + 5 Black Squadrons, all with crack shot. You have a few extra points leftover from that to either upgrade some of the Blacks to TIE Fighter aces, put some modifications on them, or upgrade two of them to TIE F/O Omega Squadrons with Crack Shot.

Yeah, crack shot is amazing on cheap EPT carriers- the problem is there's not many of those in the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

The only new ships I saw (besides the T-70 and the TIE-F/O) is Kylo Ren's black shuttle

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Heres the dial upgrade thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Oh they're using the armada dials.

• Locked thread