Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Predictable but still really good.

Is there anything after the credits? I'm real paranoid about skipping credit sequences even if they offer me the option after the original fable hosed you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

(ending ending talk ending)

I saw the ending choice coming and was really, really underwhelmed by how it was a literal binary choice that, either way, pretty much disregarding everything you did prior. Like, I know it's the journey rather than the destination, but I think I had my expectations set a bit too high.

Still a quality game, though. I'm glad to have supported Dontnod and will probably pre-order their next game.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 20, 2015

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
ending

I think we all saw the ending coming and knew it would come to this. I doubt they could have did much to avoid it without making the ending super polarizing for people. Kind of a weak episode but glad to have closure :unsmith:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
That nightmare sequence was seriously hosed up.

GO APE, GO APE GO APE,

Anyways, I personally hated the ending but it's what I was expecting.

Also, make sure you check your text messages.

Minor spoiler http://imgur.com/9pHe6x1

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 20, 2015

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It was predictable, sure, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Still one hell of a ride

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Completed episode spoilers:

That went nothing like I could have even expected it to. Trip to San Francisco? Reality spazzing out and maze stealth? Meeting with rear end in a top hat Max?

The ending choice, I, ah, chose Chloe. I'm aware that in the numbers game that saving Arcadia Bay was way better, but I think the sequence immediately prior got my heartstrings too much :smith: I guess I was hoping for a happier ending with both Arcadia Bay and Chloe being saved, but that's that.

Overall, I think it was an okay conclusion, but the whole "reality is fragmenting" thing went a touch too far. Maybe if it had been reframed more as an internal narrative with Max panicking over the fact she had to commit to a decision.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

That nightmare sequence was seriously hosed up.

GO APE, GO APE GO APE,

Also, make sure you check your text messages.

Minor spoiler http://imgur.com/9pHe6x1

Guess I'm not the only one who screenshotted that one.

And I'm not complaining about the ending. I said before the 5th ep even came out that I'd be thrilled if there was an ending where I could get Chloe's dumb rear end killed off for good, and they didn't disappoint me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Completed episode spoilers:

That went nothing like I could have even expected it to. Trip to San Francisco? Reality spazzing out and maze stealth? Meeting with rear end in a top hat Max?

The ending choice, I, ah, chose Chloe. I'm aware that in the numbers game that saving Arcadia Bay was way better, but I think the sequence immediately prior got my heartstrings too much :smith: I guess I was hoping for a happier ending with both Arcadia Bay and Chloe being saved, but that's that.

Overall, I think it was an okay conclusion, but the whole "reality is fragmenting" thing went a touch too far. Maybe if it had been reframed more as an internal narrative with Max panicking over the fact she had to commit to a decision.

Ending Spoilers yo

What happens to Arcadia Bay when you save Chloe? I let her die

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

^^^

Welp

So what's the ending like if you choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Honestly. I was curious as to how they could end this without pissing people off and I'm decently happy. The one thing is that I wanted more of an actual day instead of all timey wimey stuff. Also I choose the Bay over Chloe. Here are my stats. http://imgur.com/XKHETpI

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Ending Spoilers yo

What happens to Arcadia Bay when you save Chloe?

edit: Read a two posts down for a better explanation.

im gay fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 20, 2015

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Edit: I'm bad and mis read

im gay posted:

You drive through it with Chloe and leave the town.

Like no issue with all the weather phenomenon, you are fine to leave?

Edit2 I wanted to go to Warren to see the movie :( We will never know how it went.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 20, 2015

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dexo posted:

Ending Spoilers yo

What happens to Arcadia Bay when you save Chloe? I let her die

Hipster Occultist posted:

^^^

Welp

So what's the ending like if you choose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay?

Max tears up the photo and lets it drift away on the wind. She and Chloe hold hands, and Max rests her head on Chloe's shoulder while Chloe looks up at the storm. The storm begins to move onto the land and you can see debris flying.

After the storm, Max and Chloe drive down the road through the destruction. They drive on out of the city.

Oh, I should still say that I'd wished there'd been a bit more in Arcadia Bay post-storm, get some resolution with what happened there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That ending was loving awful holy poo poo. Like it was literally a ripoff of Donnie Darko's ending just as I feared.

It was such a great game and then it crashed and burned right before the finish line.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 20, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just got to the diner and had to finally take a break, but I really like how they keep making new text message histories for alternate time lines, and I also liked [spoiler] how the designers paced the dark room. -

I think some of the dialogue is still hit or miss, but I'm enjoying it so far and seriously considering staying up late to finish it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ending Spoilers

I don't think there was any way to avoid that ending. Who knows, it was still a really good game. The entire nightmare sequence was the stand out moment this episode.

Jefferson doing the cliche "I'm a loving psycho let me explain everything to you" thing was a bit much, but he made it work.

I chose to save Chloe, and instantly got the feeling that it was the ending the developers didn't want me to chose, because it's really short.

Going back and choosing to sacrifice Chloe gives you a much more . . . put together ending that feels like it actually has closure. It's too bad that is the way it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think my relentless overanalysis of everything LiS-related made this episode and the ending pretty predictable. Knew what was coming, but what can I say, I loved this game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I saw it coming.

I like that your time powers are just not explained. There's no explanation that would work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Max posted:

Yeah, I saw it coming.

I like that your time powers are just not explained. There's no explanation that would work.

They make real sure early on that you know you are never gonna get that explained

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Max posted:

LiS: Don't gently caress with time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Max posted:

Max Caufield teenaged so hard that an extended metaphor for adolescence became manifest.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sad they went with the predictable ending choice.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Bae before bay

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I love how they made an adventure game where they did a great job making you care about the characters and actually made your choices meaningful despite not changing the plot too much like TWD did and then they at the last minute made it all absolutely pointless, all that character development and all that stuff gone.

Mass Effect 3 had a more thematically appropriate and satisfying ending in comparison.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Just finished Ep 5. It was a fun ride although understandably short on conclusions.

The alternate timelines messing up was really cool, especially the reverse part. The stealth segment was kinda clunky, but at least the bottle collection was mercifully short. Those dioramas were neat too.

To summarise, shaka brah.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Max never deserved to win the photo contest. Especially when she entered.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Called it. vOv

Not nearly as disappointing as Wolf Among Us' ending, so there's that! An excellent game overall.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Not the episode to play when you have a migraine and are hopped up on cold meds. Powered through. Did it remind anyone else of the game Alan Wake?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Called it. vOv

Not nearly as disappointing as Wolf Among Us' ending, so there's that! An excellent game overall.
Naw, this is more disappointing than TWAU's because the LiS's writing was just so drat good, like its utterly baffling.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

bagrada posted:

Not the episode to play when you have a migraine and are hopped up on cold meds. Powered through. Did it remind anyone else of the game Alan Wake?

Yeah there's a few homages to Alan Wake through the episodes too, along with a few other series from the PNW.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Called it. vOv

I was waiting to try The Wolf Among Us until it was both done and significantly on sale. That's pretty bumming to hear considering it was an instance of Telltales own IP. Although I guess it shouldn't be surprising with how many IP's they had under their belt while they were creating it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ending spoilers: I chose to save Chloe and I think to me that's the correct ending for my Max. The theme of the game, in my mind, is the transition from innocence to experience and the growth from child to adult. A key part of being an adult is learning to take responsibility for one's actions. I think we see this theme over and over throughout the series where Max is placed in a situation where she can take responsibility or she can lie or avoid it.

The choice between Chloe and Arcadia Bay is then the choice between facing the consequences, good and bad, of her actions over the previous week (saving Chloe) or returning to the beginning to avoid all those consequences entirely. That's why we're never shown what the consequences were of choosing Chloe while we're shown explicitly and in great detail the consequences of choosing the town: it doesn't matter what the consequences are to Chloe-saving Max, she made her choice and she's responsible for it.

The ending wasn't anything special but it was thematically consistent and it wasn't as bad as it could have been (like if Max had died or something which would have been the biggest bullshit ever).

Also I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get a little Pricefield at the end. The dream sequence was great. I think it did a good job drawing a harsh light to all your choices. I like that it started off real and then got less real as it went on. I, for one, wasn't sure if it was real or not. The dark room moments were just the right level of creepy.

I have to pat myself on the back and say that I totally called there being something up with Jefferson back in episode 2. I was SUPER suspicious of his reaction to Kate's cry for help and I was like one of 2% who put the blame on him. To be fair, I didn't think he was the villain but I did think he was not a good dude and not trustworthy.

Edit: here's what poor lil' innocent Rosalind wrote in this thread back in March:

In terms of the three-way choice at the end, I chose Mr. Jefferson. For Nathan's choice, the principal suspended me probably because I've been choosing a lot of anti-authority options. I didn't want to blame security guy because I had no proof that what he was doing was absolutely wrong. I mean he admits to being aggressive and mean, but I don't really think he's actually a bad guy. Mr. Jefferson was clearly in the wrong as a teacher. Kate opened up to him shortly before her suicide attempt and any high school teacher should immediately recognize what a cry for help looks like. His callous attitude toward her later when talking to Max showed that Mr. cool-guy-teacher is still kind of an rear end in a top hat. What he said to Max about Kate was just so heinous that I lost all respect for him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Mr. Jefferson had some sort of sexual relationship with Victoria and then broke it off because she was thinking he actually wanted to be with her when in reality he just wanted to gently caress his student. That's why she's so upset and why she hates Max so much because he pays more attention to Max now than her.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arcland posted:

I was waiting to try The Wolf Among Us until it was both done and significantly on sale. That's pretty bumming to hear considering it was an instance of Telltales own IP. Although I guess it shouldn't be surprising with how many IP's they had under their belt while they were creating it.

Wolf Among Us is based off the Fables comic book. So no, they didn't create it!

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Wolf Among Us is based off the Fables comic book. So no, they didn't create it!

poo poo I guess they really don't have anything unique. Although I shouldn't give them crap as TWD S1 was really good. But I feel they just kind of got to large as a studio afterwords.

Also back to LIS I'm sad that I can't think of Chloe as a friend and Warren as a creepy stalker lover at the end of this. You specifically shut him off. While normally I'm all for the lgbt ending as a human being myself, I can't help but feel that max and Chloe are a terrible match for eachother, but likely to be good friends.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was really good up until the final point, but, REALLY unsatisfied with the ending. That alone probably knocks it down to a 4/5 for me.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the developers are going to be surprised at what the majority choice is going to be.

I was thinking that the final choice would've been going back to the beginning and taking the bullet instead of Chloe, causing Nathan to crack and Jefferson to still get caught.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Ending spoilers: I chose to save Chloe and I think to me that's the correct ending for my Max. The theme of the game, in my mind, is the transition from innocence to experience and the growth from child to adult. A key part of being an adult is learning to take responsibility for one's actions. I think we see this theme over and over throughout the series where Max is placed in a situation where she can take responsibility or she can lie or avoid it.

The choice between Chloe and Arcadia Bay is then the choice between facing the consequences, good and bad, of her actions over the previous week (saving Chloe) or returning to the beginning to avoid all those consequences entirely. That's why we're never shown what the consequences were of choosing Chloe while we're shown explicitly and in great detail the consequences of choosing the town: it doesn't matter what the consequences are to Chloe-saving Max, she made her choice and she's responsible for it.

I chose to save Arcadia Bay but for much the same reasons as you. One prevailing narrative throughout Life is Strange is to see Max transition from an unassertive, indecisive teenager into an adult who realizes that her choices have unavoidable repercussions in the real world. Part of growing up is realizing that you cannot make everybody happy, there are things you cannot change, and ultimately you have to accept responsibility for your actions, which the game established pretty well. Who knows how many Maxes it took for her to reach that point though!

I agree with you about the Max dying thing, which really would have ruined it. But I thought we were gonna be set up for one last-minute heroic sacrifice as Max jumps in front of Nathan's bullet to spare Chloe and the town both.

Anyway, this is my personal GOTY 2015 and I'm even probably gonna buy their dumb Vampire game now.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Well, like others, I was unsatisfied with the ending, it was too obvious. But I would say, literally every scene before the final one was pretty drat great. The plot points were expected, but the execution put it over the top. The scene where the birds start hitting the window en mass was pure art, for example.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

I think the developers are going to be surprised at what the majority choice is going to be.

I was thinking that the final choice would've been going back to the beginning and taking the bullet instead of Chloe, causing Nathan to crack and Jefferson to still get caught.
I went with not going back in time because I thought the game was really leading up to a " gently caress fate"ending. But lol, nope, that would make too much sense and actually be satisfying and thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Went with the save Chloe ending. Didn't pause to think about it, because I realized if I did I'd be sitting here nailbiting and fretting forever. I'm content with my choice, although I'm rather disappointed in the fact that the ending is basically 'welp, town's blown to hell, let's get outta this dump' END. Like, if you're going to go with a multiple ending, at least put some effort into it, drat. I'll need to see the other ending, but I almost don't want to revert a save and replay it through. It's like, I picked the closure to my story and I'm going to live with it. I'll probably just wait for a youtube ending video to spring up.

As an aside, what happens if you get all the bottles? I was collecting them, and kept getting trapped between two flashlights at the last one and kicked back over to the bench area, so I sat down expecting one of those moment-in-time montages, and instead it just moved the story forward.

I kind of wish they'd made the nightmare sequence fit in a bit better. Like, don't put it before the lighthouse climb. Get up there, have that final choice pop up, but then before you can select anything Max passes out and THEN you get the whole sequence. Would have made it a lot more impactful if you had that choice hanging over you the whole time. Although it was a bit obvious that's where it was headed anyway.

Overall a very good story, well told, with just a bit of tripping over its feet at the end. Still loved it.

• Locked thread