Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Kempsey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Merge by Tom Olson, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I haven't posted in a minute but this forum is still without a doubt the best forum on the internet to see great photography. I don't know, I just haven't seen the caliber that's present here on any other website. I hope you guys are reaching out to places because a lot of this stuff should be exhibited or shown to more people. I recently had Flak Photo repost one of my images through instagram and that lead to being a part of The States Project from Lenscratch. So if my poo poo can be shown, there's no reason that yours can't, because a lot of you guys put my work to shame. I wish there was a way to get a goon popup show or exhibition going because it would be pretty killer.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would never work because we'd get so busy slagging on each other's photos the gallery would never actually get built.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So as an addendum to yesterday's 'USA Landscape Vomit Photographer of the Year', today they revealed the UK equivalent.

http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/2015-award-winners/

IMO only one of the winners (the stone bridge) and one of the runners up (night time London) step over the line. Compared to last year, the winner is a bit middle-of-the-road; competent but not overly exciting.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 19, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The relentless negativity is what keeps the standard of quality so high in here, let's not gently caress with that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Should do a yearly Dorkroom coffee table book or something. I'd definitely read that book whilst on the toilet.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Pablo Bluth posted:

So as an addendum to yesterday's 'USA Landscape Vomit Photographer of the Year', today they revealed the UK equivalent.

http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/2015-award-winners/

IMO only one of the winners (the stone bridge) and one of the runners up (night time London) step over the line. Compared to last year, the winner is a bit middle-of-the-road; competent but not overly exciting.

I liked the one you posted on the previous page (am I in the minority here?), but yeah these are unremarkable. Nice. and. safe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, it's like the front page of 500px if it had fewer boobs. You scroll past them and forget them because every single one is doing the exact same thing.

Landscapes are dead, long live landscapes!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 20, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thoogsby posted:

The relentless negativity is what keeps the standard of quality so high in here, let's not gently caress with that.

Yeah I like the negativity, it made me that much happier when people like some of my bird shots, because I broke through that. Telling me exactly why I'm poo poo is how I'm going to improve, circlejerking won't.

The only other places I know on the internet are 4chan and reddit, both of which are utter crap. 4chans photography board is super gear obsessed and full of rage, and reddit is just reddit.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I don't look at it as negativity but just honesty. Critiques are crucial to development which is definitely one of the main reasons this forum is so good. If your poo poo sucks you should be told so you don't create work in a vacuum.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wandered around DC without the kids this weekend. Buildings are easier to shoot than 3 year olds, and X100s are easier to carry around than DSLRs.

Corridor by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Birds by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Waves by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Balloons by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
road by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 20, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Rail to Morning by Matt Blackmon, on Flickr

Uniform Cars by Matt Blackmon, on Flickr

Back Alley by Matt Blackmon, on Flickr

Republic Park by Matt Blackmon, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My two other photos from Semuc Champey...

Orange and Blue (Semuc Champey, Guatemala) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Waterfall Jumping (Semuc Champey, Guatemala) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Untitled by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Grace Kelly's House by Peter Crain, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Carwash by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That loving rules.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Hammock by Mitzalo Reyes, on Flickr

Life Beneath by Mitzalo Reyes, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I will say one thing as far as the content here goes (and I've said it before), is that this forum has the most diverse range of photography I've seen online, and the nazi attitutde of the regulars keeps amateurs on their toes, in a good way. Every page of every thread is always interesting and massively educational, as opposed to other forums that are just page upon page of useless bickering or 'circle jerking', as they say. I dig. I've only been in the dorkroom 2 or 3 years but I feel like I've seen a linear improvement in so many posters' quality of work. It's rad... and everyone is encouraging. *end circlejerk* :circlefap:

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Savannah, GA by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

If you've got so many straight lines in your frame, you really need to make sure it's level unless you're specifically going for a dutch angle. Best way is to pick a known vertical line in the horizontal centre of the picture and rotate based off that since it should be invariant to perspective shifts.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Cheltenham

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ric posted:

Cheltenham

This would be cool with more of the houses in it imo.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

what the gently caress posted:

That loving rules.

Thanks mate!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

pootiebigwang posted:

I don't look at it as negativity but just honesty. Critiques are crucial to development which is definitely one of the main reasons this forum is so good. If your poo poo sucks you should be told so you don't create work in a vacuum.

I only started posting in here again to get a little criticism here and there and to share a few pictures. I think critiques are a healthy way to develop your photography and it has been so long since I have been shooting that I need someone to tell me when I place a total turd on the screen.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah the criticism in here totally rules. I just shot my best roll of film ever and I pretty much credit it to the fear of being shamed by the Dorkroom.

(here's a photo.)

Tyres by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent five minutes trying to spot Barbara Walters.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

I spent five minutes trying to spot Barbara Walters.

Haha, you couldn't have said that better

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How about some cloudscapes?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008