Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Arcland posted:

poo poo I guess they really don't have anything unique. Although I shouldn't give them crap as TWD S1 was really good. But I feel they just kind of got to large as a studio afterwords.

Also back to LIS I'm sad that I can't think of Chloe as a friend and Warren as a creepy stalker lover at the end of this. You specifically shut him off. While normally I'm all for the lgbt ending as a human being myself, I can't help but feel that max and Chloe are a terrible match for eachother, but likely to be good friends.

Hmm about Warren? I got the option to Leave, Hug, or Kiss him just before I left the diner. I chose to Hug him since my Max wasn't big on him romantically, but appreciates him. Does the Kiss option proceed differently than I would have expected?

Rosalind posted:

Ending spoilers: I chose to save Chloe and I think to me that's the correct ending for my Max. The theme of the game, in my mind, is the transition from innocence to experience and the growth from child to adult. A key part of being an adult is learning to take responsibility for one's actions. I think we see this theme over and over throughout the series where Max is placed in a situation where she can take responsibility or she can lie or avoid it.

The choice between Chloe and Arcadia Bay is then the choice between facing the consequences, good and bad, of her actions over the previous week (saving Chloe) or returning to the beginning to avoid all those consequences entirely. That's why we're never shown what the consequences were of choosing Chloe while we're shown explicitly and in great detail the consequences of choosing the town: it doesn't matter what the consequences are to Chloe-saving Max, she made her choice and she's responsible for it.

The ending wasn't anything special but it was thematically consistent and it wasn't as bad as it could have been (like if Max had died or something which would have been the biggest bullshit ever).

Also I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get a little Pricefield at the end. The dream sequence was great. I think it did a good job drawing a harsh light to all your choices. I like that it started off real and then got less real as it went on. I, for one, wasn't sure if it was real or not. The dark room moments were just the right level of creepy.

I have to pat myself on the back and say that I totally called there being something up with Jefferson back in episode 2. I was SUPER suspicious of his reaction to Kate's cry for help and I was like one of 2% who put the blame on him. To be fair, I didn't think he was the villain but I did think he was not a good dude and not trustworthy.

Now that you mention it, (ending) I guess your explanation kind of makes the "Save Chloe" ending make more sense in how it plays out, but I still wanted more more more :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hmm about Warren? I got the option to Leave, Hug, or Kiss him just before I left the diner. I chose to Hug him since my Max wasn't big on him romantically, but appreciates him. Does the Kiss option proceed differently than I would have expected?

You blow him off after going into the picture regardless. The kiss does nothing,

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
End game poo poo
It's a little too fresh for me to give a really objective analysis of the ending. So I'm just going to put down my thoughts at the time. This episode was really good at making me get emotional with the nightmare/walk to the lighthouse. There were a couple interesting curves - the trip to the museum/Jefferson burning your journal. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the ending (saved Chloe), but I will say that it was better than ME3 where I saw it immediately went "This is the most bullshit ever" and haven't touched the game since despite having have half dozen playthroughs of ME1 and ME2. I am disappointed that the ending is a little more developed if you let Chloe die than if you save her. It does feel a bit like that's the one you're supposed to choose, but nowhere near as passive aggressive as ME3's, "you did nothing and the next cycle chose synthesis, which is clearly the right answer." It does seem a little odd that every single non-Max Chloe person would die in the storm, but then again, I don't know of that's necessarily what the sacrifice Arcadia Bay choice is implying. I suppose it depends on how you read the diner scene. I will say that I don't particularly like Donnie Darko, and thus the parallels are somewhat depressing. It does seem like the majority of time travel media has the message of "everything has to happen the way it did the first time" which I think is total bullshit. The fact that you at least have the choice to pick the ending helps a bit here, even if I'm not wholly satisfied with how the two options play out.

I do wonder if you failed to save Kate, but you sacrifice Chloe, does Kate still appear in the "sacrifice Chloe ending?" If so that really undermines the game's either or message because you can then use time travel to save one of them and it's OK, but not the other, which makes zero loving sense. That would also impact my feelings about the ending a fair bit as, like I said, it would totally undermine the save Chloe/save the town dichotomy.

There are a lot of really nice little details in this episode the T-shirts especially are clever (ouroboros).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Well I'm still playing Ep 3 so I don't want to read much in this thread, but:

Chloe: "MAX, I'm going to take a dump. Wanna come?"

My wife and I were like WTF and I couldn't stop laughing for about 30 seconds. probably the strangest line I've heard in a while.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Re: Warren I got the choices to Hug or Leave but no Kiss (or maybe I did and my mind didn't even register it?). I wonder if it depends on your previous interactions?

On the ending I also wish there was an option to tear up the photo not so much to save Chloe but to say gently caress no to time travel. Just Max deciding to stop going back in time and messing with things.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Karnegal posted:

End game poo poo

There are a lot of really nice little details in this episode the T-shirts especially are clever (ouroboros).

Not as storyline-related, but during the Trip to San Francisco, I noticed some funny things they slipped in the art museum. The little room downstairs has a statue imitating John Cleese from Ministry of Funny Walks. And if you go right from the entrance and look at the pictures just before the right staircase, one of them looks suspiciously like Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Re: Ending Kind of hope that it gets discovered that there is some sort of third option if you make all the "right" choices or something. Like I get that there is thematic consistency or whatever to the options given, but basically it ends up 1) Either all of the actions you made throughout the game are meaningless because you ultimately go back to do nothing, or 2) Almost all of the actions you made throughout the game are meaningless because pretty much everyone except Chloe is probably dead. In either case it invalidates the vast majority of the choices through the rest of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My big burning question at the end is this: How the hell do you get David through the Jefferson fight without a scar??? Any of that 9% in this thread?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
How long did it take to play through the episode? I'm trying to decide if I have time to play through it tonight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hannibal Smith posted:

How long did it take to play through the episode? I'm trying to decide if I have time to play through it tonight.

About 3 hours, not as huge as Episode 4.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hannibal Smith posted:

I think I took about 3.5 hours, moving at a quick pace but trying to explore as much of the environment as I could.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Holy poo poo Nightmare Warren's locker

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm disappointed in the ending :\

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Stuck on the nightmare section where Jefferson is looking for you in the dark gallery. My journal says I need to get to the light house but I can't see a path to it and Jefferson keeps catching me. Help, please! I'm afraid to look around the internet for hints for fear of getting spoiled.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
You all say the ending was predictable, but actually it was just thematically consistent. The level of inevitability to Chloe's death, and the constant repercussions from attempting to save her make it pretty clear that she is meant to die. At the end you either accept that which you cannot change, or say gently caress that and drat the consequences. We are saw it coming sure, but that's because it was foreshadowed well.

Game of the year. They stuck the landing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gently caress U SHIPPERS sequence was awesome btw.

Game is good, and I'm gonna marathon it in probably a month and have a heart attack from the hipsterness.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zerilan posted:

Re: Ending Kind of hope that it gets discovered that there is some sort of third option if you make all the "right" choices or something. Like I get that there is thematic consistency or whatever to the options given, but basically it ends up 1) Either all of the actions you made throughout the game are meaningless because you ultimately go back to do nothing, or 2) Almost all of the actions you made throughout the game are meaningless because pretty much everyone except Chloe is probably dead. In either case it invalidates the vast majority of the choices through the rest of the game.

I mean, to some degree it's a story about Max and the choices you made matter for who you are as Max even if the people you affect ultimately died. It similar to WD S1 where -SPOILERS- no matter what you do, Lee is going to die, Duck is going to die, poo poo most people you interact with will die. It's about the journey and who you are at the end of it. But, like I said in my post I wasn't blown away by the ending.

More ending thoughts: I feel like the game did a lot of great stuff into ep.5. Like it was a shoe in for my game of the year at this point and I think my hope for a super smart ending that really surprised me may have been unreasonable. I see a lot of us are a little underwhelmed with the ending, but I don't see a lot of "it should have ended like x." I do kind of wish there had been something with the theories that Rachael also had time travel powers and ultimately failed to use them to save herself/the town. I don't know. If I thought about it for a while I might be able to come up with something more satisfying, but I don't know if you could do too much after episode 4 was done and we only had one more to go. Like i said in my other post though, even if it didn't stick the ending I really love the game as a whole. The ending was not bad to the point that it undermined the rest of the experience for me the way that ME3 did where I was just sitting there going "what the gently caress!? This is such bullshit. How do you gently caress something up this bad?!" and then never touched the game again. I will totally replay LiS at some point, perhaps in the near future.

Also a spoiler, but mainly just a funny part
[spoiler] the Victoria and Chloe hooking up thing in the nightmare sequence had me cracking up

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Talorat posted:

You all say the ending was predictable, but actually it was just thematically consistent. The level of inevitability to Chloe's death, and the constant repercussions from attempting to save her make it pretty clear that she is meant to die. At the end you either accept that which you cannot change, or say gently caress that and drat the consequences. We are saw it coming sure, but that's because it was foreshadowed well.

Game of the year. They stuck the landing.
No, its not the whole draw of the game was making you empathize with the characters and see them develop and then they just made it all for nothing. Like its not thematically appropriate at at all. It's a dumb, nihilistic ending that makes the whole game pointless.

Games like Nier, LISA, and Red Dead Redemption had bleak as gently caress endings but they had real meaning, LiS' ending just robs the game of any meaning.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Karnegal posted:

I do wonder if you failed to save Kate, but you sacrifice Chloe, does Kate still appear in the "sacrifice Chloe ending?"

I'd really like to know this as well.

E:

Accordion Man posted:

No, its not the whole draw of the game was making you empathize with the characters and see them develop and then they just made it all for nothing. Like its not thematically appropriate at at all. It's a dumb, nihilistic ending that makes the whole game pointless.

Games like Nier, LISA, and Red Dead Redemption had bleak as gently caress endings but they had real meaning, LiS' ending just robs the game of any meaning.

Except all the characters are still the people you got to know throughout the game. Also, Max grew a whole lot throughout it. Like I agree that I'd wish there'd been some more choice impact, but to say none of it mattered is hyperbole

Joda fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 20, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Arcland posted:

I was waiting to try The Wolf Among Us until it was both done and significantly on sale. That's pretty bumming to hear considering it was an instance of Telltales own IP. Although I guess it shouldn't be surprising with how many IP's they had under their belt while they were creating it.

Don't get me wrong. TWAU is actually really good too. It's just that the ending is bad.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Video of all the endings for those who don't want to replay right now.

Didn't screenshot, as I'm lazy, but in the nightmare, in the cinderblock sanctuary near the end of the maze, where it had Chole was here/Rachel was here/is dead/Max was here (assuming you chose to write on the wall), it has words crossed out/circled to say "Chloe is Max".

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
gently caress ME.

I was prepared for one hell of a rollercoaster, but I still did not expect... THAT.

Okay, so I also kind of thought maybe it was going to build up to Arcadia Bay vs Chloe. I chose Chloe, for reasons that have been outlined further up in the thread; I decided to go with a "gently caress fate" method. I've been through all this and I'm not invalidating what I've been through. I kind of got a Spec Ops: The Line feel from parts of this episode, namely the parts where they really looked at your past choices. It really felt like the game was turning to me and outright attacking me at parts for the decisions I'd chosen.

Also, that nightmare sequence was incredible. Read the texts and journal entries.

I don't think the endings invalidate anything, honestly. Yes, the ending you choose is going to be the same, but surely either choice should feel tonally different depending on what you've done. I think I'll give it a while until I see how the other ending plays out.

I can honestly say though, that this episode did not ruin Life is Strange for me. I'm just sad it's over now. :(

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think I'd be a bit more okay with the ending if Victoria was shown at the funeral alongside the others (or closer to Max if she was one of the background characters who never had screen focus in that. She had a lot of screen time and development through the game, and was maybe the only character who was actually concerned about Nathan, but in both endings is basically ignored.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 20, 2015

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Zerilan posted:

That's probably not actually true if you save Chloe though. Max will lose her memories of what happens after the scene in the bathroom and will only regain them once she is sitting on the bench at the end. In the intervening period one would assume that the Max would make the choices you made and events would play out as they did in the original timeline, albeit with Nathan and Mr. Prescott in prison. Chloe being dead eliminates a bunch of them I suppose, but all the other ones should still be valid.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Empress Theonora posted:

Stuck on the nightmare section where Jefferson is looking for you in the dark gallery. My journal says I need to get to the light house but I can't see a path to it and Jefferson keeps catching me. Help, please! I'm afraid to look around the internet for hints for fear of getting spoiled.

Anybody? I'm still stuck on this!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find any path out!!!!!!!!! Where do I go????

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I think I'd be a bit more okay with the ending if Victoria was shown at the funeral alongside the others. She had a lot of screen time and development through the game but in both endings is basically ignored.

She was there, wasn't she? She was in the back when they were all walking

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Zerilan posted:

I think I'd be a bit more okay with the ending if Victoria was shown at the funeral alongside the others. She had a lot of screen time and development through the game but in both endings is basically ignored.

She's there, but is off to the side, but perhaps that's what you meant. I thought it was weird for Kate to walk up to Joyce at the funeral like that. Like, Kate and Chloe never interacted at that point.

Talorat posted:

That's probably not actually true if you save Chloe though. Max will lose her memories of what happens after the scene in the bathroom and will only regain them once she is sitting on the bench at the end. In the intervening period one would assume that the Max would make the choices you made and events would play out as they did in the original timeline, albeit with Nathan and Mr. Prescott in prison. Chloe being dead eliminates a bunch of them I suppose, but all the other ones should still be valid.

Their attempt to quickly address the whole weird "what happens to Max in the middle periods of these jumps" came off kind of awkward and I'm still having a hard time figuring out the actual rules they were trying to play by.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

Anybody? I'm still stuck on this!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find any path out!!!!!!!!! Where do I go????

Just take your time and go around the walls avoiding the flashlight. You can rewind if seen.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anybody know where the photo for the locker is? I checked the entire hallway repeatedly, and the stealth maze section too. Am I missing anywhere else? Some of the photos were really cleverly hidden, so I guess this one could be too, but I'm stumped.

EDIT: Also, I hope there's an actual hidden ending where you can save everybody. Like if you used your time powers absolutely to the barest minimum the game required, never rewinding at all.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Empress Theonora posted:

That whole section is exactly like the end of the pool section earlier in the game. Lots of rewinding and running around corners.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

LiS' ending just robs the game of any meaning.

I don't know if it robs the story of all meaning. It kind of depends on whether you're willing to accept that all these alternate timelines still exist somewhere, or if only the things that your Max experiences are reality and everything else dissolves into nothingness. They touched on this a tiny bit, with the self-accusatory Max in the frozen diner sequence, claiming that she was Max from another timeline. Also the way that Max specifically tells Chloe after reverting to the pre-party sequence that in a minute she's not going to remember any of this and Chloe will have to explain it to her. Who is it, exactly, that she is going to be explaining it to? There's still a real person there even when 'our' Max has jumped off in time.

You could expand on that to say that all these worlds we touched on still exist out in some weird time-space thing. So that means that all the choices, even those made in alternate timelines that were later 'erased' still matter, like alt-Chloe's request in ep 4. So with that in mind, you kind of have to say that all the choices matter, or none of them do, not even the one at the very end. It doesn't undo everything, but on the other hand, you could kind of argue that it doesn't do anything either, at least to impact the multiple realities. But it has a huge impact on our Max, which is really what the story was about, in the end.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anybody know where the photo for the locker is? I checked the entire hallway repeatedly, and the stealth maze section too. Am I missing anywhere else? Some of the photos were really cleverly hidden, so I guess this one could be too, but I'm stumped.

It's like to the right and loop backwards in that maze section

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Empress Theonora posted:

Keep avoiding the flashlights and make it across the map.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Empress Theonora posted:

Basically, ah, first you need to go forward and to the left hand side of the platform, then you turn right and sort of curve back in the direction you go, then around back to the lighthouse.

code:

>>>>>>>>         path to next area here
^       down      ^
        down      ^
^       down>>>>>>^
^
start
It's a janky map but hopefully that helps.

You can rewind time if needed to dodge past. There's also two sections ( ^ arrows) where there's a forked path that lets you dodge down one of the paths.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Empress Theonora posted:

Just rewind when they spot you. You don't move and they do.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

BobTheJanitor posted:

You could expand on that to say that all these worlds we touched on still exist out in some weird time-space thing. So that means that all the choices, even those made in alternate timelines that were later 'erased' still matter, like alt-Chloe's request in ep 4.

One of the texts you get during the nightmare is from that world's Joyce saying they have you on video OD'ing Chloe. At least for the earlier parts of the nightmare, I was choosing to take it more like all the alt-realities were temporarily connected and were reaching out to Max uh, Prime to let her know just how much she had hosed up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Nothing happens if you cheat and get the code right the first time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Saint Freak posted:

It's like to the right and loop backwards in that maze section

Thanks, found it. Though now that I did, I wish I hadn't :psyduck:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Karnegal posted:

Just rewind when they spot you. You don't move and they do.

Each episode I'm reminded of this. Thinking that the time rewind has a drawback of me going back as well when it does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

bobjr posted:

I'm probably the one person who couldn't hide for the first Frank confrontation because I was too dumb to realize you could rewind.

late but you arent alone, friend :/

• Locked thread