Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Ahahahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Prepared" is the wrong word.

Let's put it this way: In North Carolina, its illegal to study the ocean rise from global warming.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Banana Man posted:

Hi I'm just now learning about this, are we as a people prepared for the changes?

Yeah everything is going to be fine.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Banana Man posted:

Hi I'm just now learning about this, are we as a people prepared for the changes?

If you want a summary of the thread so far just read the thread title.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CommieGIR posted:

"Prepared" is the wrong word.

Let's put it this way: In North Carolina, its illegal to study the ocean rise from global warming.

:doh:

Anything to avoid scaring people or hurt corporate profit margins.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LeeMajors posted:

:doh:

Anything to avoid scaring people or hurt corporate profit margins.

To be fair, a more accurate wording would be "illegal for the government to propose legislation based on a particular prediction of sea rise rate". It's still retarded but its not illegal to study it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Salt Fish posted:

To be fair, a more accurate wording would be "illegal for the government to propose legislation based on a particular prediction of sea rise rate". It's still retarded but its not illegal to study it.

So you can study it all you want, but you can't use what you find to make changes?

That somehow feels worse..haha.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

So you can study it all you want, but you can't use what you find to make changes?

That somehow feels worse..haha.

Yeah, sadly for idiot states, most of what they can do is adaptation. So North Carolina & Florida aren't even stopping Big-Bad-Climate-Laws with their nonsense, all they're doing is stopping new seawalls.

Basically sticking their head in the sand, below the new high water mark....

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A seawall ain't gonna do poo poo to save South Florida.

Especially hilarious considering I saw some article on insane housing prices in the big cities (London, NYC, San Fran, Vancouver) predicting that Miami was the next new hot thing.

Enjoy that poo poo in 60 years you fuckers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How are u posted:

A seawall ain't gonna do poo poo to save South Florida.

Especially hilarious considering I saw some article on insane housing prices in the big cities (London, NYC, San Fran, Vancouver) predicting that Miami was the next new hot thing.

Enjoy that poo poo in 60 years you fuckers.

People who are after the "next new hot thing" don't care about a 60-year timeframe. They're typically looking to buy, sit on it for a few years and flip.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

People who are after the "next new hot thing" don't care about a 60-year timeframe. They're typically looking to buy, sit on it for a few years and flip.

I understand that. It is just crazy reading about the insane building boom going on in Miami right now when there is absolutely no question that in less than a century that part of the world is going to be essentially uninhabitable on a scale larger than say a couple of swamp huts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

And BMW uses the car speakers to make fake engine noises.

Ford does this on the newer Mustang as well, so that mustang buyers can live up to their childhood dream of having a car that makes its own vroom vroom noises.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How are u posted:

I understand that. It is just crazy reading about the insane building boom going on in Miami right now when there is absolutely no question that in less than a century that part of the world is going to be essentially uninhabitable on a scale larger than say a couple of swamp huts.

It's not insane at all, if you happen to own a lot of land in Miami and want to unload it before property values go undewater. You know that making Miami "the next hot new thing" is almost certainly a deliberate move, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm sure we'll just instead spend huge amounts of money to make Miami livable below sea-level, while underfunding adaption in poorer communities instead. The system works!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Here's an interesting perspective on the umbrella under which our ills fall. Think of "use value" as "utility" and "exchange value" as "perceived value" when Thanaticism gets defined.

McKenzie Wark posted:

Bill McKibben has suggested that climate scientists should go on strike. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released its 2013 report recently. It basically says what the last one said, with a bit more evidence, more detail, and worse projections. And still nothing much seems to be happening to stop Thanaticism. Why issue another report? It is not the science, it’s the political science that’s failed. Or maybe the political economy.

In the same week, BP quietly signaled their intention to fully exploit the carbon deposits to which it owns the rights. A large part of the value of the company, after all, is the value of those rights. To not dig or suck or frack carbon out of the ground for fuel would be suicide for the company, and yet to turn it all into fuel and have that fuel burned, releasing the carbon into the air, puts the climate into a truly dangerous zone.

But that can’t stand in the way of the production of exchange value. Exchange value has to unreel its own inner logic to the end: to mass extinction. The tail that is capital is wagging the dog that is earth.

Perhaps its no accident that the privatization of space appears on the horizon as an investment opportunity at just this moment when earth is going to the dogs. The ruling class must know it is presiding over the depletion of the earth. So they are dreaming of space-hotels. They want to not be touched by this, but to still have excellent views.

It makes perfect sense that in these times agencies like the NSA are basically spying on everybody. The ruling class must know that they are the enemies now of our entire species. They are traitors to our species being. So not surprisingly they are panicky and paranoid. They imagine we’re all out to get them.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Climate models may be wrong!
gently caress yes! Don't worry guys, everything's going to be...

quote:

Climate scientists may need to revise their predictions: instead of acting as carbon sinks, Earth’s northern boreal forests could start releasing carbon at a faster rate than they can capture it.

Most global climate models treat these forests as storing about one-third of all terrestrial carbon in trees and, especially, in thick layers of peaty soil. Forest fires disrupt this storage temporarily, releasing carbon to the atmosphere until it can be recaptured by regrowth.

The net effect of this cycle depends critically on the scale and frequency of fires.
..oh. Oh. It's that type of wrong... well it can't be too bad, right?

quote:

Ryan Kelly, an ecosystem modeller at the environmental consulting firm Neptune and Company, and his colleagues had previously analysed charcoal deposited in sediments to show that the modern wildfires there are more severe than at any time since the end of the last ice age.

That means the forest today is younger than it used to be, and therefore stores less carbon.
Altered conclusion

When Kelly’s team reran carbon-storage models based on this information, the results were dramatically different. Instead of storing carbon steadily, the Yukon Flats has probably been a net exporter of carbon into the atmosphere since 1950, they found.

“It’s not just a little problem,” says Kelly. “It totally changes the conclusion from the model.”
:smithicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Climate models may be wrong!
gently caress yes! Don't worry guys, everything's going to be...

..oh. Oh. It's that type of wrong... well it can't be too bad, right?

:smithicide:

It seems from the article linked, those are changes to the way certain forests are modeled and seems unlikely to change, say the scope of IPCC reports or other conclusions with uncertainties baked in.

But this process of refinement is part of what makes science seem *wrong* to many conservatives.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems from the article linked, those are changes to the way certain forests are modeled and seems unlikely to change, say the scope of IPCC reports or other conclusions with uncertainties baked in.

But this process of refinement is part of what makes science seem *wrong* to many conservatives.

Whoa whoa, you're telling me you can't just come to a conclusion once and be right about it forever? That doesn't seem right

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Vox reports again on what it would take to stay below 2°C taking into account all the latest climate pledges. (see thread title)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think the last part of that article has the point that often gets lost in the rabble:

quote:

Now, as I've noted before, even if we do bust through the 2°C limit, that would hardly mean it's time to abandon all hope. Because the risks and damages from global warming go up significantly the higher that temperatures rise, even 2.5°C warming is still preferable to 3°C, which is better than 4°C, which is way better than 5°C. There's never going to be a point when it's time to just give up.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the last part of that article has the point that often gets lost in the rabble:

Please, this thread is for goons to justify their crushing depression and nihilism. No optimism allowed, even though we are living in the most prosperous period of human history and all these problems are absolutely solvable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SKELETONS posted:

No optimism allowed, even though we are living in the most prosperous period of human history and all these problems are absolutely solvable if you're a wealthy first-world nation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nah, actually I don't think any first world nation can address climate change.

however it is well within the capacity of the world to address it. Thus the problem.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah that last paragraph applies to you if you're a 1st worlder. So many people in so many developing and poor countries are just utterly hosed. We are going to lose a billion (billions?) people before we find some sort of equilibrium.

And who knows how long that will take.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

We are going to lose a billion (billions?) people before we find some sort of equilibrium.

That's far from certain, as that article even points out, <2C is still a possibility. Which is rather incredible when you think about our recklessness.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

That's far from certain, as that article even points out, <2C is still a possibility. Which is rather incredible when you think about our recklessness.

The problem is that that possibility is decreasing at an astonishing rate.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
That prediction is roughly as ridiculous as the population bomb. No food aid to India guys, they'll just breed more and starve even harder.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can't see any way in which the political situation of the modern world could possibly lead to anything even approaching something as low as 2C. Sure it's physically possible, but it's a complete and utter political impossibility, and that's what really matters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

I can't see any way in which the political situation of the modern world could possibly lead to anything even approaching something as low as 2C. Sure it's physically possible, but it's a complete and utter political impossibility, and that's what really matters.

But the difference is political possibilities can be changed easier than physical ones. What was politically impossible 5-10 years ago has become reality. We have a large gulf to cross to get us to an adaptable future, but the world has seen vast political shifts in short time periods (and that's ignoring the vastly increased rate of change).

The wunderkin have a few more inflection points, then yes, some more brutal balancing mechanisms will come into play.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We're dealing with the speed of bureaucracy. They won't even decide to acknowledge the problem exists until at least 3 C. Then we'll have to spend a decade or so forming groups to authorize studies then another group to decide how they should be formatted. Give it a year or two and they'll have cover pages sorted out.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
It seems like every little bit would help? I'm still fairly optimistic at people's chance of survival of this, and mitigation to some extent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We're dealing with the speed of bureaucracy. They won't even decide to acknowledge the problem exists until at least 3 C.

Except you're already behind the times on that. The bureaucracies of the world all already have declared it a problem worth dealing with and while none of them have committed or done enough, they're far beyond acknowledging the problem exists.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then we'll have to spend a decade or so forming groups to authorize studies then another group to decide how they should be formatted. Give it a year or two and they'll have cover pages sorted out.

I mean you can mock the IPCC process, but the fact they're able to come to the kinds of consensus they do is actually pretty amazing. I can't think of another example of consensus building on such a contentious and evolving scientific issue. Can you?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We're dealing with the speed of bureaucracy. They won't even decide to acknowledge the problem exists until at least 3 C. Then we'll have to spend a decade or so forming groups to authorize studies then another group to decide how they should be formatted. Give it a year or two and they'll have cover pages sorted out.

Considering Exxon (IIRC) had concrete evidence of this in the 70s, I'm forced to agree with a Toxic Slurpee. Bureaucracy is glacially slow.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Considering Exxon (IIRC) had concrete evidence of this in the 70s, I'm forced to agree with a Toxic Slurpee. Bureaucracy is glacially slow.

That's pretty much the problem; people know. It isn't exactly hidden. It's common knowledge at this point and there is consensus from the global scientific community that this rock is heating up.

But there is money to be made and political points to score tying the response up in red tape and there are disagreements on exactly how to proceed from here. Aside from that you have ludicrously poor nations and people that would like to be less ludicrously poor, thank you very much, so they're all about burning coal for power starting like...yesterday.

Then there's issues like figuring out how to convince Americans to quit slobbering all over the auto industry's dick. Americans have a bizarre love affair with cars and hate mass transit. Americans also associate any electric or hybrid car with dirty hippies who refuse to get jobs. Which is another thing...this idea that everybody must work to survive means even more driving.

Part of the reason the bureaucracy is so slow is because this involves making changes and sacrifices a lot of people don't want to make.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The kind of changes we need to make as a civilization in order to mitigate global warming are akin to the transition from pre to post industrialization. They are massive and revolutionary and will require a reworking of society in a way seen only twice before. I fully believe we will achieve it, but I don't see us doing it before a poo poo load of people are hosed and dead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

The kind of changes we need to make as a civilization in order to mitigate global warming are akin to the transition from pre to post industrialization. They are massive and revolutionary and will require a reworking of society in a way seen only twice before. I fully believe we will achieve it, but I don't see us doing it before a poo poo load of people are hosed and dead.

Progress cannot happen without heaps of bodies, apparently.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Bodies aren't necessary for progress, it's just that we have our heads too far up our own asses right now to make the meaningful and necessary changes within a timeframe that will prevent a gently caress load of people dying down the road a few years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Bodies aren't necessary for progress, it's just that we have our heads too far up our own asses right now to make the meaningful and necessary changes within a timeframe that will prevent a gently caress load of people dying down the road a few years.

That is what I meant. Nobody cares until the cost hits them personally.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

That is what I meant. Nobody cares until the cost hits them personally.

And even then not until it's a catastrophic, major hit. The little signs are absolutely everywhere but people make excuses for them or handwave them away as "not that bad."

That or put the blame where it doesn't belong. I still remember 2009 when the pumpkin crop failed and it looks like it's happening again this year. Illinois is just getting wetter which is very bad for growing pumpkins. I had to explain all day, every day that we got all the pumpkin we could, nobody had any, and we couldn't get any and no I won't check in the back, I'm serious, we don't freaking have any pumpkin. It looks like global warming is a component of it, if not outright the cause, but all people do is blame the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

As long as they are not white bodies...

• Locked thread