Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
On choices mattering: "Your choices matter!" is sort of the tagline of the last 10 years of non sports/shooter gaming, but I think that how they matter varies a lot by genre. A game like LiS or WD is fundamentally about your main character and what type of person they are. You are shaping who that person is, and even if people you saved die later in the narrative, your interactions still matter for defining who you are/were. I think this runs up against the gaming ethos that most of us grew up with which was that there was a "correct" or "best" ending/result. The fact that the LiS/TT-style games are primarily interactive narratives with very little "gameplay" in the sense that there are few if any gaming "skills" required to get through really drive this home. To me, this is a lot different than an RPG-style game like Mass Effect where your success throughout the series is not only related to your character dialogue choices, but also to your mechanical game play. Ex. in ME2, getting everyone out alive is based on how many side missions you completed and if you can correctly assign people to tasks relative to their skills via deduction. ME3's ending feels lovely because your decisions don't matter in the sense that the series established a narrative where you were constantly overcoming the impossible if you played the game well, and then at the very final minutes of the 3rd game they went "nope, gently caress it! Starchild bitches!" The same sort of issue isn't really analogous to a TT-style game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Spoilers for the entirety of Episode 5, in case you had any doubt.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks, found it. Though now that I did, I wish I hadn't :psyduck:

Can someone post what all this about Nightmare Warren's locker is?

Anyway, general impressions. Jefferson referencing blaming Nathan and warning Victoria was a bit of a low blow. gently caress. The 7% that blamed him are now entirely vindicated if they weren't already. Nathan's phonecall was low as well. Loved David coming in to save the day on multiple occasions though. Shame I killed him in the end, though I was pretty sure he was going to kill himself anyway after I told him what happened to Chloe. If only I had some kind of way to reverse time?

Alyssa was loving hilarious. Ended up having a minute of straight laughing. We got trolled so loving hard. gently caress you DONTNOD. It also seems like I missed everyone else except the fisherman.

As said before I ended up going with sacrifice Arcadia Bay, and now I feel like a terrible person for killing everyone. David, Joyce, Victoria, Warren, all dead. I'm wondering if there are any survivors but I would imagine not. At least I have a best friend forever.

Also Jefferson flat out clobbered me in the face with a tripod. Jesus christ.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Kaislioc posted:

Anyway, general impressions. Jefferson referencing blaming Nathan and warning Victoria was a bit of a low blow. gently caress. The 7% that blamed him are now entirely vindicated if they weren't already. Nathan's phonecall was low as well. Loved David coming in to save the day on multiple occasions though. Shame I killed him in the end, though I was pretty sure he was going to kill himself anyway after I told him what happened to Chloe. If only I had some kind of way to reverse time?

Alyssa was loving hilarious. Ended up having a minute of straight laughing. We got trolled so loving hard. gently caress you DONTNOD. It also seems like I missed everyone else except the fisherman.

As said before I ended up going with sacrifice Arcadia Bay, and now I feel like a terrible person for killing everyone. David, Joyce, Victoria, Warren, all dead. I'm wondering if there are any survivors but I would imagine not. At least I have a best friend forever.

Also Jefferson flat out clobbered me in the face with a tripod. Jesus christ.

Remember Nathan totally killed Rachael even if he was not a mentally-sound person. He's not a good dude in any case, though the phone call was a nice touch to make him dark grey

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
There was nothing I really hated, and a whole bunch of stuff I liked; the beginning was spectacularly hosed up , but I think it was pretty well done.

Also, drat. You'll never see TellTale pull something like this off. And there's at least a dozen other impressive, cinematic moments like that
http://i.imgur.com/SwImJfk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EVE6gDj.jpg

Empress Theonora posted:

Anybody? I'm still stuck on this!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find any path out!!!!!!!!! Where do I go????

You sneak from one end of the room to the other while not getting caught for like 3 minutes, and as you do the walls and floor start vanish and reveal a path out , try tapping the right click button on the mouse to do a real short rewind if you get caught.

The game just came out so you might just be bugged and need to restart from a checkpoint.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 20, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Kaislioc posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538365528

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghetto Prince posted:

There was nothing I really hated, and a whole bunch of stuff I liked; the beginning was spectacularly hosed up , but I think it was pretty well done.

Also, drat. You'll never see TellTale pull something like this off. And there's at least a dozen other impressive, cinematic moments like that
http://i.imgur.com/SwImJfk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EVE6gDj.jpg

How'd you get that? They just held hands for me.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
just finished, it was good

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Well that was a fairly good episode with a disappointing ending, no real closure and it kinda killed it for me, also for the Kill Chloe ending do any of your choices even end up matter? Like if Kate is dead does she not cameo at the funeral? Honestly I was never really that big into Chloe as a character which would obviously had made the ending have more meaning to me but she didn't get likable until too late, also a huge writing thing I hate about the series in general is it does the "well I did this because I was meant to give you the impression i'm X but now I'm apologizing so you'll like my character now, but anyways going by the endings I guess in the end nothing actually did matter since the ending is a static choice and none of the choices are shown effecting them so now its up to Tales from the Borderlands to save finale week..... gently caress it's Telltale....

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011
Holy "hella" gently caress

That's how you end a choice driven game.

The part with the window getting pelted by blood really freaked me out in a way no horror game ever has.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I thought the ending was hella predictable but still satisfying. And everything else in the episode was great.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh, people are still replying to me! I found the right path to take-- I was turning the wrong way literally every single time I guess. Or my game was just bugged out and reloading fixed it, maybe?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

SirSamVimes posted:

How'd you get that? They just held hands for me.

I think you have to kiss Chloe in the earlier episode, and then when you go back from Warrens picture in this episode tell her the truth about how Jefferson murdered her , killed Nathan and tortured Max in the Dark Room , then tell her about the alternate reality fuckery with her dad and whatever choice you made in the timeline where she was paralyzed , then choose to save Arcadia bay at the end.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538374185 life is... weird

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Achievement talk: Where the gently caress is the skull = cigarette photo? I know what section it's in due to collection mode, but that is a big gently caress-off section of game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Karnegal posted:

Achievement talk: Where the gently caress is the skull = cigarette photo? I know what section it's in due to collection mode, but that is a big gently caress-off section of game.

Its the skeleton in the backwards section. Run up to it and hit tab because you already took the photo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This episode was basically what I expected, since most of the big questions were answered in the last episode and this was more cleanup than anything else. I went with Arcadia Bay over Chloe for a couple reasons, mostly that it basically was "destiny" that she was supposed to die, and with that knowledge what was stopping her from dying after this if you saved her? Plus I saw the whole innocence lost thing as that being the more "right" choice because it's taking a hard option that's better for everyone, despite how much it hurts and how much it sucks. Nothing in this episode really reaches the highs of the game, but it's a satisfying ending, because a good ending should be a lead up of all the episodes, not a surprise twist that no one saw coming.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well that episode was :stare: ... excellent. Loved the references to Twin Peaks/Donnie Darko (even though I'm not a big DD fan), the entire nightmare sequence (which was half the episode?) was great, Max loving up the timelines was great, the panorama sequence was great. I chose Save Chloe to see if "gently caress fate" was an option - it wasn't, but it felt thematically appropriate for my Max to choose Chloe after helping her commit suicide in the William-lives-timeline. I agree it was predictable that it would come down to choosing Chloe or Arcadia Bay, but I'm fine with that; it's not the binary choice but how it was done, and I liked the episode.

As for driving out of town saying "later nerds" - that comes down to the choice. You chose Chloe, you get to keep your memories of being with her because those were (mostly) real. I'm not sure what kind of closure they could have given to Arcadia Bay without making you feel like poo poo for seeing more dead bodies, I'm assuming that at least the main characters managed to survive judging from the ending statistics. Though who knows, timey-wimey ball and all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It was the ending I expected, but the mind trip was just spinning its wheels for me. There wasn't anything answering questions or adding to the story, it was just there. The start of it was dark as hell with the birds though. It might just be me, but the way that ending's set up really feels like there should've been a third choice to if you make just the right choices through the entire game.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Well that episode was :stare: ... excellent. Loved the references to Twin Peaks/Donnie Darko (even though I'm not a big DD fan), the entire nightmare sequence (which was half the episode?) was great, Max loving up the timelines was great, the panorama sequence was great. I chose Save Chloe to see if "gently caress fate" was an option - it wasn't, but it felt thematically appropriate for my Max to choose Chloe after helping her commit suicide in the William-lives-timeline. I agree it was predictable that it would come down to choosing Chloe or Arcadia Bay, but I'm fine with that; it's not the binary choice but how it was done, and I liked the episode.

As for driving out of town saying "later nerds" - that comes down to the choice. You chose Chloe, you get to keep your memories of being with her because those were (mostly) real. I'm not sure what kind of closure they could have given to Arcadia Bay without making you feel like poo poo for seeing more dead bodies, I'm assuming that at least the main characters managed to survive judging from the ending statistics. Though who knows, timey-wimey ball and all that.

Given that Max saved those people and isn't around that time through, they are definitely dead, so Warren, Frank, Joyce, etc are all dead

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Powered through instead of sleeping. Definitely worth it.

I need to not be delirious with lack of sleep to come up with a conclusion about the ending, but man...I was really hoping for a truly happy option. :smith: I chose to save Arcadia Bay first and then went back to see what the Chloe ending was like, and both were pretty depressing. I can't say I hated the endings, I think their execution was done very well, I just wish there was another option. I miss happy endings.

Overall, I love this series, and DONTNOD deserves a lot of props for making one of the best adventure games I've played. I just really hope I don't see the nightmare section in my sleep tonight.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 20, 2015

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
What a beautiful last episode. I've never stared at a screen longer, but I think I made the right choice. Sacrifice Chloe. I almost don't want to even know what sacrificing Arcadia Bay does.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghetto Prince posted:

I think you have to kiss Chloe in the earlier episode, and then when you go back from Warrens picture in this episode tell her the truth about how Jefferson murdered her , killed Nathan and tortured Max in the Dark Room , then tell her about the alternate reality fuckery with her dad and whatever choice you made in the timeline where she was paralyzed , then choose to save Arcadia bay at the end.

Okay it turns out that the kiss only happens if you sacrifice her.

Speaking of which, I think the one big flaw I have with the ending is not the binary choice itself, but the fact that one of the choices is so obviously the one the developers consider the "correct" choice. I don't mind the choice existing because the game had already done a great job of making your decisions significant in the journey itself, but basically punishing you with a way less developed ending for choosing "incorrectly" kind of sucks. Aside from that, I thought the episode was amazing.

The first scene in the dream sequence was incredibly creepy.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Wowza.

I think the game made it pretty clear that, no matter whether you chose to save Arcadia Bay or Chloe in the end, the choices you made absolutely prevented or caused suffering in some weird, unknowable timey-wimey way. Wasn't that the whole point of the alt-cynical Max scene?

Also:
Holy gently caress birds smashing into window. "What. Wait. What what WHAT."
That Nathan phonecall
Alt-Max giving the Stockholm Syndrome counterpoint
Nightmare Alpha-Male stalker (hello, thread) Warren with bikini-Max locker
Alllll the hilarious moments of levity in the nightmare (text messages, bottle puzzle, etc.)

I could go on. Amazing last episode.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Caedar posted:

Wowza.

I think the game made it pretty clear that, no matter whether you chose to save Arcadia Bay or Chloe in the end, the choices you made absolutely prevented or caused suffering in some weird, unknowable timey-wimey way. Wasn't that the whole point of the alt-cynical Max scene?

Also:
Holy gently caress birds smashing into window. "What. Wait. What what WHAT."
That Nathan phonecall
Alt-Max giving the Stockholm Syndrome counterpoint
Nightmare Alpha-Male stalker (hello, thread) Warren with bikini-Max locker
Alllll the hilarious moments of levity in the nightmare (text messages, bottle puzzle, etc.)

I could go on. Amazing last episode.

Speaking of which this text is easy to miss: http://imgur.com/vPiEPcH

SirSamVimes posted:

Okay it turns out that the kiss only happens if you sacrifice her.

Speaking of which, I think the one big flaw I have with the ending is not the binary choice itself, but the fact that one of the choices is so obviously the one the developers consider the "correct" choice. I don't mind the choice existing because the game had already done a great job of making your decisions significant in the journey itself, but basically punishing you with a way less developed ending for choosing "incorrectly" kind of sucks. Aside from that, I thought the episode was amazing.

The first scene in the dream sequence was incredibly creepy.

If you go by content, sure, save Arcadia Bay gives the most stuff. But it needs the most stuff because your time with Chloe never happened, so they need to say what happened instead (to Nathan/Jefferson, to Chloe's family, to you) and of course a funeral is a must. With Chloe it's pretty clear what's happened, I don't think it needed to be rehashed.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
More on "right choice" I feel like the idea that there is a "right choice" is up in the air. I don't think that the save Arcadia ending is wildly more developed once you cut out replaying the bathroom scene, so i wouldn't say that it's clearly DONTNOD's "choice". I think you could argue that there isn't a "right choice" on the personal level. Obviously we're dealing with teenagers as main characters so that makes this more difficult, but I think we're supposed to be dealing with a Sophie's choice type scenario only the twist is that you have to pick between the person you love most (at least out of all the Arcadia bay peeps - even if your version of Max only loves Chloe as a best friend) vs a whole group of people that you have varying degrees of giving a poo poo for (some you don't know, some you like, some you don't like). I think it's reasonable to assume that not 100% of everyone dies, but probably the people Max saved in the alternate time line do (they were not crystal clear on how the photo jumping works) so certainly some people who were good people are going to die. Still that is a tough as gently caress choice that I don't think you can easily find a right side on. I mean, I guess you could argue that saving the most people is always the best option, but that's a pretty coldly analytical way to live your life.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This episode has been a hell of a ride so far, but gently caress the nightmare stealth section so drat hard. :argh:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dexie posted:

This episode has been a hell of a ride so far, but gently caress the nightmare stealth section so drat hard. :argh:

How? Just rewind

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

How? Just rewind

And if the game figures out that you can't rewind to a viable spot, it just puts you at the last 'safe' spot, with generous checkpoints. For the first sequence with Jefferson looking for you:
- move directly forward. Jefferson #1 will catch you. Rewind to the beginning, he can't see you.
- turn right, hide in the walled off section until Jefferson #2 turns around and walks off. Sneak around where he came from.
- Jefferson #3 is pretty much the same thing as #2, I think you hide on one side of a wall while he walks on the other side?

The lockers/dumpyard were more of a pain because bottle hunting for 100% achievements.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

How? Just rewind

For some stupid reason I thought that section limited your rewind after I overused it during the first area and had to start over.

As for the section right after that, where Max is stuck in the snowglobe, oof. That text from William was brutal.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the other text messages in that section (ESPECIALLY THE RACHEL TEXT), and Max's diary. :stare:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 20, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Played it twice with my two saves to see the various endings and choices.

Liked:
Chloe kiss
The scene with David saving you was predictable but I still hooted and hollered when he showed up and liked constantly rewinding time to find the outcome for him to save you.
max's death shirt and chloe's orobourus shirt at the end.
lip syncing seemed much much better, I didn't even notice if it was bad this time around like the first four episodes.
the nightmare section

Disliked:
The ending. Where is my third "kill yourself by jumping in front of nathan's gun so chloe lives" option? If you're gonna go Butterfly Effect, at least go the whole way.
Your choices matter! *none of them actually matter* Lisa? feeding the bunny? saving literally anyone in the episode? any of the previous choices you make are either not ever referenced, or just in passing.
there is literally no reason to save anyone in this episode. Nothing happens for saving them.
If the rest of the episode is to be believed, once chloe gets final shot, max forgets everything about the past week. How is she going to remember anything?
no samuel explanations? all that Rachel buildup, even the text message and the deer, and no Rachel explanation? really?

Also where the gently caress is the ductape/camera photo? and the one with the selfie images? I couldn't figure those out. I also couldn't figure out how to prevent david from getting hurt, he got hit in the head somehow, not sure what to do there.

Also I called it:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh my god I just had a thought.

What if it really is going to be the donnie darko ending? What if the beginning of episode 4 was just training us to be ready for "letting Chloe go". "this week has been the best week of my life, but it's time to move on".

For further consideration: someone asked me why Max would have her time travel power at all if it was just to let her friend die. The only response I could think of at the time was, "because she hasn't seen her friend in five years, the universe is giving her the chance to spend time with her friend over the course of five days"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 20, 2015

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Chole and I had a great ending because we said gently caress this town and rolled out together.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also where the gently caress is the ductape/camera photo? and the one with the selfie images? I couldn't figure those out. I also couldn't figure out how to prevent david from getting hurt, he got hit in the head somehow, not sure what to do there.

Ask Mr. Jefferson to take a picture of you when you're trying to figure out how to help David.

Some of the photo sketches can be pretty abstract.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm glad I watched that video so I knew the bullshit was coming.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

The art gallery reminded me of that bar from the Quantum Leap finale. That girl sitting downstairs had you face, almost. Plus the photos were relevant, with the blue jays and whatnot.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I chose to save Chloe because I wholly reject that choice being necessary at all, so I went with the one I thought was the obviously more morally incorrect one. I hope Max becomes a cool supervillain. I greatly dislike the lesson being 'the secret to randomly being granted cool time travel powers is to not use them at all.' If this somehow magically happened in real life I would have chosen to sacrifice Chloe, probably, I guess. Who cares. This game was cool but I didn't like the ending.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Spoilers, I guess, if you haven't played through the entire game yet, but what area is the locked off one at the bottom?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Dexie posted:

Spoilers, I guess, if you haven't played through the entire game yet, but what area is the locked off one at the bottom?

The glory hole in the diner's bathroom

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Game was good and I'm glad to have played it.

The ending was predictable, but there was really no way to avoid it and honestly it's fine that it ended the way it did. They did a good job despite the fact that anyone could guess how it was gonna play out, which is all that really matters.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

DLC or just cut story from the game? People think that the whole Prescott legacy thing was cut from the game and could come up as DLC or some other flashback type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was kinda disappointed. I still overall enjoyed the whole thing, they didn't retroactively ruin anything, but yeah. Fell kinda flat. Here's some key reactions no one will read in a fast paced thread:

Disliked:
  • I just never liked Chloe so the entire ending lacked an emotional punch for me. She was always impulsive to the point of being dangerous, I mean poo poo I know the universe itself was trying to kill her, but maybe you shouldn't play with guns or railway tracks, yeah? And maybe call the police when you find Rachel Amber's body?
  • The nightmare sequence. The entire thing was just filler, especially the "gameplay" "puzzles". It was a little trippy and interesting at first, but it stretched on way too long. Wish it was truncated to just the first classroom scene, and the conversation with yourself.
  • It's so loving weird that these time travel powers caused the storm, so Max could learn...not to use them? It's like if Groundhog Day was solved if Bill Murray just listened to the whole song on the radio.
  • Writers really should've spent more time on Max explaining her powers to Warren. There was a way to have that scene move fast, but still have him react appropriately to it. As it is, it's super rushed and messy, and breaks all kinds of characterisation.
  • Why didn't the storm stop when Jefferson killed Chloe?!
  • Jefferson switching to the evil voice. Would've worked a lot more if he had kept his pretentious lecturer tone while he was detailing his evilness, with the occasional burst of rage.
  • They were so proud of the "frame you in a dark corner" foreshadowing, they went back and showed us it like FIVE times. And had Jefferson be all "I GAVE YOU HINTS I WAS LIKE THIS!"
  • Small thing, but the payoff for saving Alyssa was not as satisfying as I wanted it to be.
  • i never got to Go Ape :smith:

Liked:
  • The Madsen versus Jefferson "puzzle". Even though it seems ridiculous that the ex-army guy with anger issues would repeatedly lose so bad to a high school teacher.
  • The "good" timeline in San Francisco was a really interesting rugpull.
  • Going through the town in the storm was beautiful and atmospheric and emotional. (Even if it tanked my Frame rate, as did a lot of the lighting in the episode, actually)
  • Chloe and Max's voice acting. Naaaaaaailed it right to the end.
  • The songs.
  • Both shippers got satisfied I guess, that's nice. (I didn't get any of that because my Max had bigger things to focus on.)
  • The binary ending choice. It's fine. :colbert:

• Locked thread