Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it has pacing problems and holds the player's hand too much because it's a really accurate Zelda clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Eponymous posted:

The Crysis 2 novelization, of all things, is actually pretty great. The main character is basically being eaten alive by his suit, and the nanomachines are constantly rewriting his brain to the point that he worries he isn't himself anymore but can't think about it too much because the nanomachines won't let him.

That sounds... potentially interesting? Huh. I've never said this before, but I kinda want to check out this videogame book.

nanomachines!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I want to like Okami but it is pacing issues: the game.

What really annoyed me about Okami is that you can't speed up the dialogue with voice acting, but said voice acting is gibberish so there's no point in listening to it, anyway. It was also about three times longer than it needed to be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Use a page from the book of speed running tips: play Okami in Japanese to speed up text boxes.

(Note: may require knowing Japanese to understand the text)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Okami might be one of the best zelda likes in the past decade but it forced me to watch a 15 minute long unskippable cut scene right at the start so I'll never know.

I want something along the lines of this to be pasted the wall of every game developer's office. I will sit through an intro cutscene but in a game, it's a really clumsy way to tell a story. And fifteen minutes, woof.

We're also not talking about a purely narrative game. There's an audience who probably just wants to paint poo poo/look at cute dog and doesn't care about the story. Let them skip it!

Note: I played Okami before I became this passivity averse but if I was coming to it fresh, I probably wouldn't care for it much.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I like Okami a ton but it's definitely bloated and too slow for its own good. There's something I find weirdly charming about the pacing issues, particularly the way it ends like three times, but when I think about going back to it I find I just kind of don't want to sit through all of that again. It doesn't help that I played the Wii version, where the finicky motion controls made basically every weapon unusable except the beads.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best part about Okami is that it autoplays the intro when the game boots so obviously if it's the first time you play the game you would sit down and watch the whole thing. Then you select new game and it plays the intro again only this time it's unskippable!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On one hand I'd argue that it's deliberate pacing makes sense for the kind of traditional Japanese fairy tale it was going for but on the other it's a video game and there's no technical reason why you shouldn't be able to skip cutscenes. If Kojima allows for it then there's no excuse for anyone else.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You could skip cutscenes in the wii version but for some reason that particular feature didn't make it to the PS3 version.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not being able to skip cutscenes is kind of lame but I also don't think a game being languid is inherently bad; it's just a matter of what you're in a mood to play and if the game's content clicked with you.

For ex, Dragon Quest 7 and Persona 4 are both incredibly long games with openings that make Okami look about as snappy as Super Mario Bros. I thought Dragon Quest 7 was one of the most tedious, boring games I'd ever played, while Persona 4 might be my favorite PS2 RPG.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 20, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

The best part about Okami is that it autoplays the intro when the game boots so obviously if it's the first time you play the game you would sit down and watch the whole thing. Then you select new game and it plays the intro again only this time it's unskippable!

Haha, the same thing happened with me when I first played The Wind Waker. To be fair, that intro is only like five minutes long.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

For ex, Dragon Quest 7 and Persona 4 are both incredibly long games with openings that make Okami look like as snappy as Super Mario Bros. I thought Dragon Quest 7 was one of the most tedious, boring games I'd ever played, while Persona 4 might be my favorite PS2 RPG.

Oh god, DQ7. You don't even get to your first battle until hour 3-5, and I was somewhere around hour 25-30 when the class system made itself available. I'm playing through the DS version of DQ6 and it's almost just as bad; I'm currently at hour 18 and just about to hit its class system. The Heartbeat-developed Dragon Quests just aren't that great.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 20, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Wind Waker, the 3D Zelda's love of intricate openings and beginning tutorial sections is another annoyance on the list. I don't know how anyone looked at Wind Waker and thought "forcing the player through this gigantic stealth dungeon first thing" was a good idea.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Wind Waker, the 3D Zelda's love of intricate openings and beginning tutorial sections is another annoyance on the list. I don't know how anyone looked at Wind Waker and thought "forcing the player through this gigantic stealth dungeon first thing" was a good idea.

So much about early Wind Waker is great and it has colored my memory so fondly that I forgot about that entirely.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

That never bothered me in Wind Waker as much as the forced text boxes everytime you picked up a Rupee.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

al-azad posted:

I can see what they were going for with that opening—you eventually return fully armed at the halfway point of the game, so it's incredibly empowering to fight the enemies you once had to hide from. But yeah, those stealth mechanics don't really give you a lot of feedback and I still have trouble with that section even though I love me some Metal Gear.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Not being able to skip cutscenes is kind of lame but I also don't think a game being languid is inherently bad; it's just a matter of what you're in a mood to play and if the game's content clicked with you.

For ex, Dragon Quest 7 and Persona 4 are both incredibly long games with openings that make Okami look about as snappy as Super Mario Bros. I thought Dragon Quest 7 was one of the most tedious, boring games I'd ever played, while Persona 4 might be my favorite PS2 RPG.

I don't know if anyone is saying languid pacing is bad. I think people are saying that the player should be able to control that pacing and that the pacing in Okami is specifically bad, two points I agree with.

If you beat Dragon Quest 7, you're a thousand times more patient than I am. That game is straight up pretty bad, I think.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Okami is the opposite of every other Platinum game, because it's easy and over-explains itself, while the others are hard and don't explain basic poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not a Platinum game, technically.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been working through Okami for the last year or two, and while I really like it, it's a game where I don't feel bad picking it up and playing another 5-10 hours every couple months. I could not imagine playing all of it in a short period of time.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

If you beat Dragon Quest 7, you're a thousand times more patient than I am. That game is straight up pretty bad, I think.

I think I told this story on Retronauts a few times, but I played 120 hours of DQ7, got to the end boss, and just said "gently caress it" and put the game away forever after he killed my party. Note that I was 19 at the time, so I was a HELL of a lot more tolerant of pacing issues than I am today, but that game just broke me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tae posted:

It's not a Platinum game, technically.

Clover/Platinum

Twitch posted:

I've been working through Okami for the last year or two, and while I really like it, it's a game where I don't feel bad picking it up and playing another 5-10 hours every couple months. I could not imagine playing all of it in a short period of time.

It kinda feels more like episodes of a TV show than a single game. You could fit it into three seasons.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobservo posted:

I think I told this story on Retronauts a few times, but I played 120 hours of DQ7, got to the end boss, and just said "gently caress it" and put the game away forever after he killed my party. Note that I was 19 at the time, so I was a HELL of a lot more tolerant of pacing issues than I am today, but that game just broke me.

Are you me? That final dungeon being so huge and getting to form... 2 or 3 before dying in a half-hour battle, I never went back.

How many goddamn final dungeons have someone go "we should add a shortcut to the middle of this" and then still take another 40+ minutes to slog through post-shortcut?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

Are you me? That final dungeon being so huge and getting to form... 2 or 3 before dying in a half-hour battle, I never went back.

How many goddamn final dungeons have someone go "we should add a shortcut to the middle of this" and then still take another 40+ minutes to slog through post-shortcut?

FInal Fantasy 3 DS was also a HUGE dick and still adhered to the NES-era save system, so you could lose a TON of progress if the tough-as-nails final boss killed you. Which he did. I sent that poo poo to Gamefly and never looked back.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Can I be the weird Dragon Quest 7 apologist who actually beat the game? I will admit it's probably too long for it's own good but I love the gameplay loop of going into the past and reviving islands by solving whatever problem led to that area's extinction.

Edit: I think I also deserve credit for acknowledging 5 is the best in the series

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't hate DQ7 and actually really like DQ8!!!

That is, what I was trying to say in my post is that I think DQ7 is tedious and boring as gently caress, but I don't know that that means anything is wrong with the game itself and maybe it's just not the kind of videogame I like

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah, 8 was really good too. I fell off of 9 because it just didn't have the personality of 8.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

bobservo posted:

FInal Fantasy 3 DS was also a HUGE dick and still adhered to the NES-era save system, so you could lose a TON of progress if the tough-as-nails final boss killed you. Which he did. I sent that poo poo to Gamefly and never looked back.

FF3DS (and, thus, every single version save the Famicom one, since they all ported from that remake) was a design disaster, actually making the game harder in a lot of subtle grindy fashions. That end dungeon is just the easiest "this is bullshit" fashion to point to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DQ8 is probably just as long as DQ7 if you go for the post game true ending stuff but it's actually visually pleasing and has interesting things going on.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Quest 8 was bursting with charm, if you'd gave that game to me when I was like 12 I would have rinsed it in a montn but these days I just don't have the drive :cry:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I always wanted to play DQ7 because the length and glacial pacing made me think it would be a weird Zen kind of experience. If only you could get it for a reasonable price or they'd release the remake here :(

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Decided to get around to the last few episodes of The Pitch that I was saving for a rainy day.

TEENMAN! :argh:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Best wishes to Kole for a speedy recovery from his synchronous diaphragmatic flutter!

Also I was just listening to Abject Suffering while walking home from work and was basically constantly laughing like an idiot from the moment The Gates Were Open.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm still hiccuping, and it's been three weeks since we recorded that episode. PRGE was hell. My life is hell. The gates have closed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Woff is working; I really want to check out King of Dragon Pass.

I think I'm out of my self-loathing phase and Dota2/Rocket League no longer make me feel anything on the inside.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dunbar posted:

I always wanted to play DQ7 because the length and glacial pacing made me think it would be a weird Zen kind of experience. If only you could get it for a reasonable price or they'd release the remake here :(

I kind of get what you're saying. It's like a mountain to climb, like reading all of War and Peace or building a toothpick model of Washington DC.

Ramagamma posted:

Dragon Quest 8 was bursting with charm, if you'd gave that game to me when I was like 12 I would have rinsed it in a montn but these days I just don't have the drive :cry:

Dragon Quest 8 was charming as hell, though the old-school RPGness of the gameplay would probably drive me off if I played it today.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kind of get what you're saying. It's like a mountain to climb, like reading all of War and Peace or building a toothpick model of Washington DC.

Dragon Quest 8 was charming as hell, though the old-school RPGness of the gameplay would probably drive me off if I played it today.

I get what you mean, I played through maybe 15-20 hours and I was using a guide the whole way and even then it was kind of exhausting.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tir McDohl posted:

Can I be the weird Dragon Quest 7 apologist who actually beat the game? I will admit it's probably too long for it's own good but I love the gameplay loop of going into the past and reviving islands by solving whatever problem led to that area's extinction.

Edit: I think I also deserve credit for acknowledging 5 is the best in the series

Dragon Quest VII has my favorite concept out of the whole series, so I was really hoping we'd get the 3DS version since it supposedly fixes some of the pacing issues.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The concept is super cool, and I hope someone on SA has the fortitude to do a good screenshot LP one day.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The concept is super cool, and I hope someone on SA has the fortitude to do a good screenshot LP one day.

I swear someone already did, because it's the only way I ever got to see the post-game on that.

In fact, they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
In case anyone is in the region and wants to meet up, Gary and I are doing a talk about Dark Souls at the Ohio Game Developer's Expo. In addition to that, we've scheduled a couple of meetups in Cincinnati and Columbus.

You can find more details here: http://duckfeed.tv/ohio-2015

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread