Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlothBear posted:

I just don't see why they think people will want to play a not as good version of a moba when all mobas are free already.

Because we won't have to deal with the people who play those mobas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Degs posted:

As for engi, I was wondering why he felt just substantically weaker than my ele. Turns out when I left he was in full MF gear and I never reselected stats for his gear. Wheeeeeee grenades for daaaays

I also got the dire ascended pistol from a dungeon pvp track. Is there a way to make it better?

Engineer does great with condi builds, and pistol/shield (or pistol/pistol) are the weapons of choice. Dire fits in pretty well with that, though not as good as Rabid or Sinister would.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Degs posted:

I also got the dire ascended pistol from a dungeon pvp track. Is there a way to make it better?

You can change stats on ascended weapons/armor in the Mystic Forge.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anthology_of_Heroes

Would need a weapon crafting tradeskill (weaponsmith, artificer, huntsman) at 400 to make a Sinister inscription though, they're account bound.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Adhesive Gamin posted:

You can change stats on ascended weapons/armor in the Mystic Forge.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anthology_of_Heroes

Would need a weapon crafting tradeskill (weaponsmith, artificer, huntsman) at 400 to make a Sinister inscription though, they're account bound.
I believe they are no longer account bound. I switched a weapon recently and I don't have anything to 400 but cooking :)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Raskolnikov posted:

I believe they are no longer account bound. I switched a weapon recently and I don't have anything to 400 but cooking :)
Celestial, Sinister and Nomad inscriptions are indeed account bound when created so if you want to swap a weapon to those stats you'll need to craft the appropriate inscription yourself as Gamin said. The other stat combos aren't bound so you can just buy them off the TP.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

Sinister, Nomad's, Celestial, and Zealot's insignia and inscriptions are specifically account bound the moment they're crafted. Other stat combos aren't.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orichalcum_Imbued_Inscription
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Inscription
etc.

Also note the TP price difference between crafted and salvaged inscriptions, e.g. a Berserker inscription alone is nearly 8 gold at minimum in materials, but you can pick up, say, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade for 5g.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

And it only took three years to get around to it!

I still want a full blown currency exchange, mostly for dungeons since they're being depreciated but ideally for all currencies.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
All these QoL changes and no account-wide tradeskills makes me sad.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm trying to decide between making a Warrior or a Guardian. I want a heavy armor class that is p. survivable - my main characters are Ranger and Necromancer, and while I know that nothing will be as tanky as a Necromancer, I'd like something in the same ballpark.

Anyone have a suggestion for which of the two I should make and boost?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

All these QoL changes and no account-wide tradeskills makes me sad.

If they do that I demand reimbursement for levelling them on each alt, or consider my sub cancelled

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm trying to decide between making a Warrior or a Guardian. I want a heavy armor class that is p. survivable - my main characters are Ranger and Necromancer, and while I know that nothing will be as tanky as a Necromancer, I'd like something in the same ballpark.

warrior is passive survival, if you're just generally getting attacked by stuff you'll heal it all off

guardian is active survival, you have a large amount of defensive skills that are useful in different situations, while also protecting your group

unfortunately i main both and they're both great

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Berserker's is for trash idiots who don't know how to play this or any game.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Lonk posted:

Agreed I am awful and yet I beat 65% of my matches in berserker gear :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lonk posted:

Everyone who plays this game is a trash idiot though, regardless of what stat they gear up with.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

guardian's entire thing is basically 'poo poo out boons and live forever' depending on how you skill/trait yourself

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Also note the TP price difference between crafted and salvaged inscriptions, e.g. a Berserker inscription alone is nearly 8 gold at minimum in materials, but you can pick up, say, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade for 5g.

I will keep that in mind for the one weapon box I still have but can't decide which weapon to pick :woop:

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guardian has block(s) and a bunch of incidental healing, and low health. They take a bit more effort to be tanky, but if you put in that effort they're really hard to kill.

Warrior has has more passive defense with high health and eg. healing signet. It's still very fun to play and potentially shits out might at an alarming rate.

You probably want both anyway.

Lonk posted:

Yes because the "never die" nomad option means skill like nothing else :v:

Aug 24, 2011

you also have to make a revenant so that's 3 character slots just for your heavies

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I am now throwing sinister hadokens at idiot thieves in WvW because of this thread and I love it.

Aug 24, 2011

Details on the other three HoT zones - Auric Basin, Ebullient Depths, Dragon's Stand

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

every time

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Thanks for the info! :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, those zones look like rear end. What was Anet thinking?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Update from the smiley dude himself on unlocking elite specs.

ColinJohanson posted:

Unlocking your elite spec is a training line in your training panel that costs hero points. You do need to have trained all the existing training lines before you’re allowed to put hero points into your elite spec.
If you’ve got all the hero points in the existing game and have enough to train about half the elite specialization training line on launch day. The rest you’ll need to earn in the jungle or via the new system Tyler outlined yesterday from WvW. The number of points to fully train your elite spec is higher than other training lines – but hero challenges in the jungle are worth 10 points each, so it’s not actually as big as it appears.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Wait, does that mean it's going to take about 400 hero points to train an elite spec? :psypop:

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Schpyder posted:

Wait, does that mean it's going to take about 400 hero points to train an elite spec? :psypop:

I wonder how deep in the grandmasters are? This might mean daredevils won't get their new dodge stuff for a while, which is pretty lol considering everyone else will get their gimmick immediately.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AzureSkye posted:

I wonder how deep in the grandmasters are? This might mean daredevils won't get their new dodge stuff for a while, which is pretty lol considering everyone else will get their gimmick immediately.

Nah, that 3rd dodge is totally their game-changing gimmick! :downs:

Kinda sucks really hard for revenants too.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 20, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it. Me too. You'd think I'd learn by now.

I'm the outlier rat that dies in the experiment, I guess.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schpyder posted:

Sure does

quote:

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

Hope you weren't planning on playing all your alts.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/elite-specializations-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5628102

ColinJohanson posted:

There are enough hero challenges in the jungle you don’t need to do any in the core tyrian world – those simply speed you up on day one if you already got them.

Keep in mind that as he said, each hero challenge in the expansion gives you 10 hero points. You can create an alt, tome theme to 80, have all of your base profession skills unlocked, and then unlock your elite spec in the four new zones. You don't need to world complete or even touch the old zones.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 20, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Doesn't make it suck less for people like Schpyder that play their dozen alts regularly.

e: actually maybe you aren't the best example Schpy given they all have 100% map completion :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 20, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It really screws over Thiefs and just solidifies the idea that the dodges should have been part of the base class and not grand master traits.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BUTTERFLY WINGS YEAH

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

At least I didn't retroactively screw myself by unlocking every traitline on all alts. Just by getting every skill.

While it's a shame I can't dick about with a half-traited herald from the get go, the '100% MC = half an elite spec wtf' guys in that thread are hilarious.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mercurius posted:

It's all going to depend on what each scavenger hunt entails, really.

Well, if they're anything like the scavenger hunt collections that exist now, they'll each have about 25% things you've already done or do regularly, 70% things that are fun to seek out and can have a couple knocked out in an evening, and 5% of things that require a specific chapter of LS2 and ~15 hours of difficult challenge with a full party to attain.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure does

Hope you weren't planning on playing all your alts.

I guess that just means I need to HoT map completion on all of them as well!

:shepicide:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Motherfuckers better not have locked the chronomancer shoulders at 400 points.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Illuyankas posted:

At least I didn't retroactively screw myself by unlocking every traitline on all alts. Just by getting every skill.

While it's a shame I can't dick about with a half-traited herald from the get go, the '100% MC = half an elite spec wtf' guys in that thread are hilarious.

Joke's on you, Colin says you need to have everything trained before you can start putting hero points into the elite spec! :downs:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

the grind is real

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

orcane posted:

I will keep that in mind for the one weapon box I still have but can't decide which weapon to pick :woop:

I should probably be clearer here and mention that you can't salvage the more expensive crafted insignia/inscriptions (like Berserker) out of things, which is why they cost more :v: Was more to make a point about the cost of crafting your own Berserker gear at 80.

AzureSkye posted:

It's unfortunate that Thieves only actually have 2 trait lines to slot until Daredevil is added in HoT, but that's the price to pay for being the cool ninja dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay, well, here i thought that maybe i'd be solidly covered by doing map completion on my guardian,

but i guess not,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Locked thread