Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If we weren't supposed to think that Max was possessed then that plot element wouldn't have been introduced immediately after we had possession explained to us as the audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Countblanc posted:

Isaac and Johnny will form a splinter group based around Badass Justice Spirits and the importance of friendship

I couldn't figure out how Isaac and Johnny would ever team up but maybe their spirits will know each other or otherwise be natural allies. Although Forge seems to have a bit of a dark past and is on a redemptive streak so that might not mesh well with Storm God's smite evil approach.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I love how people here keep going on about how the broken god has to be either double possession or Scrap dragon, and continually seem to ignore the, at this point much likelier, possibility that it's actually neither. All the arguments for double possession seem to hinge upon the whole double talk sequence with the Doorman. However, there isn't an iota of evidence to support the idea that spirits are capable of taking over their owners at whim, and the arguments for it all seem to rely on "teapot behind mars" bullshit. In fact, there's actually a whole lot of evidence against spirits being able to take over their owners:

(*) Whatever took over Max doesn't seem to obey any of the rules that we've seen applied to spirit communication so far. Max was very clearly not aware of the period of time he was possessed, nor did he have any input into the whole process. Even though it does seem like the Spirits have most of the control over communication, the medium or tool user does seem to have some kind of influence over it; there have been a number of times where they haven't needed to ask to get pulled in. There is also the fact that we have repeatedly seen no evidence of a second spirit in Max; even if he was just hiding, his presence would have heavily altered the surrounding landscape. The scrapworld that the dragon spirit inhabits, however, seems to be entirely of it's own.

(*) When Max was possessed, the entity controlling him showed that he could clearly control his actions. From what we've seen of him so far, Issac's spirit doesn't seem too keen on Spender, or hell, Issac himself, in general. So what the hell is stopping Thunder God from just taking full control of Issac and blasting the ever loving poo poo out of Spender? Hell, what's stopping him from just taking direct control of Issac and turning him into his meat slave to fight spirit crime? While the Broken God may be benefiting from subtlety by giving Max some control, I doubt this T-God fellow even has the word in his vocabulary.

(*) If Spirits are capable of influencing their owner's actions or behaviors, why do tools or mediums even exist? At, like, all? Sure, you might get a couple spirits who morally object, but by and large it just seems way better for any spirit down on their luck to possess some unwitting bystander and turn them into their meaty body slave. Obviously, the matter isn't so clear cut since it isn't some kind of obliquely obvious choice for every spirit ever.

(*) A couple of the previous points rely on the idea that a spirit can take full control of their medium without any consequence or limit. Even if this wasn't the case though, it's clear that many mediums don't exactly always have a pearly clean relationship with their medium (Note: Super Racist Frog Whale actually considered possessing Max's Dad, but decided against it because Max's dad. And, as mentioned before, Scrapdragon doesn't seem to have an issue with causally attempting to murder Max.). The ability to take control over their bodily functions for even just a few moments can still prove to be a massive liability, especially if the situation is very delicate. The big question this ends up generating in the end is why does the Consortium, a massive organization involving a very large number of spectrals, employ Mediums so readily? It's pretty clear from the entire segment in the consortium base that they have a bunch of them running about, going by how many of their members have been physically altered in some way. So, in light of this, why the heck does the Consortium even touch mediums with a ten foot pole? They just seem like a liability all things considered, and I wouldn't exactly say that Boss Leader is the sentimental type, if you catch my drift.

But ultimately, I think the biggest red flag to the theory that Max's possession is an entirely different matter from normal possession is:

(*) The main villain of the current arc's entire loving gimmick is that he is capable of taking control of people in a way that doesn't involve possessing them.

All of the above, plus how it's definitely proven that for spirits there's more than one way to skin a cat in the whole takeover / hide in someone department, makes me really doubt that the Broken God really falls under anything we know about spirits so far. Of course, this means that we're back to square 1 on the guy, but square 1 is a lot better than square -1.

Edit: Oh dear god I posted this without worrying too much about it and I have only just now realized how amazingly long this was for a simple bit on a webcomic plot. What am I doing with my life.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 15, 2015

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

I don't think you really love any of that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aaaaa oh god words

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There seems to be some correspondence beyond colour.. When Max wonders about how spirits "conveniently" possess right types of tools, he shuts up like he realised something. This seems like a minor point at first, but in the same chapter it's established that the tool he just happens to find has scrap-powers, and way later that his mother was a junk artist.

Spirits obviously choose to jump into an object that suits them and their powers, or failing that into something they can modify to suit their powers. Magnet bat isn't as thematic as a paint spirit in a paintbrush or a paper spirit in a book. There's 3 possibilities as to why. 1) Magnetsnake is too weak to modify the bat into something more fitting. 2) Magnetsnake has recovered enough to do it, but being a grudge means it doesn't have the brains to do it right now. 3) A bat is exactly what it wants to be in.

The bat seems kinda weak compared to the paintbrush and the book, so here's my theory: Magnetsnake will reshape it into something more fitting that lets Max make better use of the powers it has. I'm hoping it turns into a railgun.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh boy, I can't wait to see how the toilet plunger RUBBER SCEPTER looks with Racist Whale Frog in it. Truly it will become Issac's strongest asset when he inevitably wields it. :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm, a lot of words, but a fundamental misunderstanding of anime .......

anyway the only thing we know about max's doublespeak friend is that max is "unaware that he carries one of the s-" (spirits ?? schemers ?? doorman called it a schemer before). does this mean he's possessed ?? haha who knows. maybe. on the circumstantial evidence side we know that it gave max glowy eyes associated with spirit power heightened perception. but i don't think scrapdragon is the doublespeaker. though if he is possessed, why didn't boss leader find that out when she visited his dream ??

Slime posted:

Magnetsnake will reshape it into something more fitting that lets Max make better use of the powers it has. I'm hoping it turns into a railgun.

if it turns into anything it'll probably be like a dipole bo staff or something. or hopefully just a bat with red/blue ends. i like the bat

also if anyone else is jonesing for a paranatural book, zack said on twitter that he needs to redraw high-res versions of the first ~30 pages before that will happen. no eta.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dolash posted:

I couldn't figure out how Isaac and Johnny would ever team up but maybe their spirits will know each other or otherwise be natural allies. Although Forge seems to have a bit of a dark past and is on a redemptive streak so that might not mesh well with Storm God's smite evil approach.

The tripe is called a heel-face-turn when the antagonist joins the hero's team. So Max wishing up and joining forces with Johnny is consistent

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cubone posted:

I don't think you really love any of that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Realtalk, if you're going to put in the effort to make a long post, keep in mind that people are less likely to read it if it starts off condescending.

VerdantSquire posted:

What am I doing with my life.

Only you can answer that.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I appreciated the post and find his argument convincing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Going to be funny when it was PJ poo poo-talking Doorman all along.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oddium posted:

though if he is possessed, why didn't boss leader find that out when she visited his dream ??
She detects something in the last couple of panels of this page and first half of the next

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-120

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Only you can answer that.
I will admit that I definitely spent way too much time on that which should have been spent sleeping and that I didn't really entirely think through how I phrased it. I'm really sorry if I came off as an insulting rear end in a top hat! I still don't believe that the Broken God is any kind of normal spirit though.

oddium posted:

anyway the only thing we know about max's doublespeak friend is that max is "unaware that he carries one of the s-" (spirits ?? schemers ?? doorman called it a schemer before). does this mean he's possessed ?? haha who knows. maybe. on the circumstantial evidence side we know that it gave max glowy eyes associated with spirit power heightened perception. but i don't think scrapdragon is the doublespeaker. though if he is possessed, why didn't boss leader find that out when she visited his dream ??
When I read the bit about being unaware, I thought it sounded like he was talking more about a number, like six or seven. You aren't wrong at all in assuming that it could also be a different word, but the way it's phrased makes me lean on it being a number. The whole glowing eyes thing is also perhaps a mark in favor of possession, since so far it seems pretty strongly associated with spirit communication. Mind you, I know exactly as much as the rest of you do, which is to say absolutely nothing and we're all probably going to end up either being hideously wrong or partly right through pure luck.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lots of words begin with s.

For "one fragment of a broken god", we can have splinter, shard, slice, or pretty much any compound name beginning by something like "soul" or "spirit". In the numerical domain, besides six or seven, it could be second. Then it can be a faction name, and then you can get pretty much anything fancy you want.

"I sensed that he, too, was unaware that he carries one of the Second Sentinels of the Soulshard Sworn Soldiers of the Sword of Serendipitous Spiritual Soliloquy!"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cat Mattress posted:

"I sensed that he, too, was unaware that he carries one of the Second Sentinels of the Soulshard Sworn Soldiers of the Sword of Serendipitous Spiritual Soliloquy!"

Cool. I've been wanting see one of Isaac's off-screen anime adventures for a while. Nice to know one of the magic macguffins is residing in Max right now.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cat Mattress posted:

Fun fact, the S section of an English dictionary is the longest section, followed by C and P.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Cat Mattress posted:

For "one fragment of a broken god", we can have splinter, shard, slice, or pretty much any compound name beginning by something like "soul" or "spirit". In the numerical domain, besides six or seven, it could be second. Then it can be a faction name, and then you can get pretty much anything fancy you want.

The serpent, welcome to literal angel vs satan fight in Paranatural.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

aaaaa oh god words

Oh gently caress no, words! On a text based website! What is this evil?!

e: Oh yeah, I'm guessing that it's Forge talking, mostly because whoever's talking is cutting off Johnny's sentence. Forge being weak could account for the word bubble shape thing. Then again Forge might be too weak yet to even talk to Johnny.

Akett fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 16, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cat Mattress posted:

Becoming spectral is a gradual thing and there's some sort of threshold in effect, rather than a binary switch. Johnny was able to get back to Mayview despite Forge having started possessing him. So the trigger to Max becoming spectral can have happened before he entered the Mayview barrier. We have no knowledge about the precise details, so this is pretty much stuff that happens at the speed of plot.

Being possessed doesn't make someone a spectral, it just makes them a tool. It can *trigger* becoming a spectral but they are different processes.

What I'm saying is that someone needs to start wielding Johnny ASAP.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Turns out, Cody does know that something is up with Jeff.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I feel like we've gone full Hunter x Hunter at this point.

Complete with this game taking forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The vice principal has tissues in her nose which gives a very weird effect to the eyes of the Normal Kid

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Regy Rusty posted:

The vice principal has tissues in her nose which gives a very weird effect to the eyes of the Normal Kid

I think you'll find that most "hip-to-the-today" youths jab tissues into their eye sockets. It is the style today is it not, my fellow childrens?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bet this ends abruptly next week and then we cut back to anime kid.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You're gonna have to be more specific. :v:

But yeah, we're at a point where there's a lot of buildup and tension yet no momentum. There's a perfect "end this now, maximum anticlimax" button in the school bell ringing and there's almost no better time to press it than now, when it isn't interrupting an ongoing action.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

jeff is going to catch the yugioh switch ball and the shockodiles will come back and hitball will emerge from a can after 10,000 years on the moon and conquer earth

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Unfortunately there's not enough room left in the chapter, so the Hitball showdown will be pushed to chapter 6

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My theory is they're going to try and get Isabel on their team.

That or Collin is gonna save the day somehow.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Isabel's out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Isabel's out.

Oh, right.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just remember... don't discount Ball Golem

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-71/

Max acting like the protag is awesome. ( I know that sounds weird, but he does feel like a background character from time to time)

Dimitri's expressions are priceless.

As if we need any more evidence that Dimitri used to be part of the club. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 20, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Dimitri panel is amazing

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

dimitri you cant have a chess piece thread the needle between the pawn line and backguard what idiot taught you chess

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Never expected to see Sun Tzi in this comic but here are. Also another delay coming up.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Dude, in chess you do whatever it takes to win.

Someone help me out here. What could Max possibly accomplish by using the switch? Whether either opponent catches it, he hits HiJeff (unlikely), or he hits the ball golem (also unlikely?) the outcome doesn't seem worth the risk.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So, can I get something off my chest?

Ever since this scene started, I've been steadily losing interest in Paranatural. I think it comes down to three things:

-I have absolutely no idea what's going on anymore. Every single plan that these kids come up with is more convoluted than the last, and it feels like Zack is trying to cram way too many characters into one scene.
-Paranatural has always been anime-inspired, but the last half of chapter four onwards is straight-up shounen. I know this is subjective, but I'm not a fan of shounen.
-I read this comic mostly for the humor; I still think Chapter 3 is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Right now, with the exception of that one page of Johnny's bullying, this whole chapter has been nothing but action. Which is frustrating to me, because the fight scenes in the first two chapters have an awesome mix of jokes and action.

Anyway that's my rant. Thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fecha posted:

Dude, in chess you do whatever it takes to win.

Someone help me out here. What could Max possibly accomplish by using the switch? Whether either opponent catches it, he hits HiJeff (unlikely), or he hits the ball golem (also unlikely?) the outcome doesn't seem worth the risk.
HiJeff catches it, and Jeff suddenly has a bunch of people who all want to stop him from killing somebody.