Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
My only armor gripe is the big ol' boob holders on the female models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Well I'll be honest, I think that armor you linked in an earlier post looked stupid. It looks way over-designed with straps and buckles and potions loving everywhere, maybe that's more realistic than most of Skyrims armor but that doesn't make it ideal for a video game. The iron armor in Skyrim is a bit sparse on protection but that's ok IMO, its the lowest tier of heavy armor, leaving those gaps in low tier armor lets you fill them in as you advance in tiers. To me(again as mostly a layperson when it comes to armor) Skyrim steel armor actually looks fairly protective while also still allowing a fair range of motion and mobility. Dwarven and Orcish armor on up look like they are offering some pretty serious protection. I mean yea, if you thought about it for more that like 30 seconds dwarven armor looks like it would be a giant pain in the rear end to wear. It looks heavy and bulky as gently caress and your only way to see is two tiny eye holes that give you zero peripheral vision. Again that's ok because at first glance it looks like some real armor that could take a couple swords to the chest or shoulder and let you keep on trucking on no worse for wear.

I think at the end of the day the point is that these video games are abstractions of the world, not simulations. Where you want to draw the line on where something is 'too abstract' is your business, but you could just as easily complain that you can carry too much stuff(as some people where a few posts ago), or how small the country of Skyrim is, or how Skyrim's civilian population is seemingly outnumbered by bandits. skeletons, and crazy magic user by at least 10 to 1. The armor is just another victim of that abstraction but again that is fine because at first glance it looks believable enough. I mean this is a world where people can shoot raging infernos out of their hands; fire so intense that were it the real world it would probably instantly incapacitate you with serious 3rd degree burns to most of your body after just a few seconds. How good your armor coverage is is probably very much a secondary concern against protecting against magic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

My only armor gripe is the big ol' boob holders on the female models.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48160/

Can't do anything about custom armors though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AtillatheBum posted:

Well I'll be honest, I think that armor you linked in an earlier post looked stupid. It looks way over-designed with straps and buckles and potions loving everywhere, maybe that's more realistic than most of Skyrims armor but that doesn't make it ideal for a video game. The iron armor in Skyrim is a bit sparse on protection but that's ok IMO, its the lowest tier of heavy armor, leaving those gaps in low tier armor lets you fill them in as you advance in tiers. To me(again as mostly a layperson when it comes to armor) Skyrim steel armor actually looks fairly protective while also still allowing a fair range of motion and mobility. Dwarven and Orcish armor on up look like they are offering some pretty serious protection. I mean yea, if you thought about it for more that like 30 seconds dwarven armor looks like it would be a giant pain in the rear end to wear. It looks heavy and bulky as gently caress and your only way to see is two tiny eye holes that give you zero peripheral vision. Again that's ok because at first glance it looks like some real armor that could take a couple swords to the chest or shoulder and let you keep on trucking on no worse for wear.

Actually the straps and buckles make a whole lot of sense if (a) you need a lot of attachment points to carry a massive quantity of poo poo around, (b) pockets do not exist because they were invented quite recently so all your poo poo has to be in external pouches and bags, and (c) buttons do not exist because they were invented quite recently so buckled straps are the only things strong enough to hold a heavy jacket on. If the Dragonborn is carrying around a hundred pounds of potions and reagents and random garbage picked off the floor of a moldy old tomb, where is he going to carry it all? Also keep in mind that this is actually multiple garments layered arranged. There's the gambeson, a sleeveless chain vest (acceptable, the gambeson provides some protection to the arms), a surcoat to protect the mail against the elements, and a small chest piece that appears to be brigandine, all of which must be fastened on. On top of that is a sword belt (these things can be quite complicated) and a baldric, each of which has points to attach pouches to carry your poo poo. Then you have the optional bits you can craft, like the satchel, the Dragonborn crest and heart stone badge, etc. You can't sew the plate metal elbow pads, wrist guards, etc. on without creating weak points that will tear so they have to be strapped on as well.

Yeah it's complicated. Plate armor is complicated too--they don't call it a "harness" for nothing. Take a look at a reproduction and you'll see straps and buckles everywhere.

And no, Skyrim steel armor is not protective at all. Most hits in combat, both in historical accounts and in modern re-enactments, are to the limbs--they're out there flailing around while your torso is behind and usually turned to present the smallest possible target. If someone hacks straight into your exposed upper arm with a sword, an artery will be severed and you will die. Exposed flesh is bad, bad, bad. Any clothing is better. Like, if you were to just put on a thick flannel shirt from your closet and then throw a mail shirt over it, that's better than Skyrim steel armor.

E: Looking at the steel plate armor the helmet needs some way to lift the visor up. Knights usually charged with the visor down (to protect against missiles) but fought in melee with the visor up (so they could see around them and breathe freely). However, it appears to be a single unit. Not good.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 20, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Haha the game crashes several seconds after entering a cell everytime 100% of the time, and doesn't crash if I leave the cell before it happens and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is doing it. I really loving wish this drat game had some sort of error logging cause gently caress.

Came here to voice this. It's really surprising you can't even get a basic debug option when downloading the construction kit or something. Here we have a game practically built to be modded (and I'm really thankful to Bethesda for that), but once you get even a handful of mods going, if something goes wrong, you're almost better off throwing up your hands and starting over.

If nothing else it might at least result in a better mod dev pipeline so we don't end up with so much mod content that just inherently causes problems in the first place.

Woolie Wool posted:

One thing I would really like would be to have hand-placed loot like Morrowloot but every time you start a new game the location of each piece is randomized between a set of areas where it could feasibly be. The hand-placed rings in the Legendary Rings are really surprising and nice rewards the first time you find them. But after a couple of restarts, "swing by Skybound Pass to pick up the Circlet of Omnipotence while on the first trip to High Hrothgar" becomes like an item on your shopping list.
I would just recommend going vanilla. I have a similar sentiment, but it wouldn't change anything. You would make the same shopping trip, except sometimes there would be an odd chance of not finding anything, or something different. I guess the latter might be nice, since you won't exactly know what you're getting, but you're still running into the same problem of retracing your footsteps.

Seriously. Just play vanilla, with things like Lootification or Wintermyst, that can add some variety to the default loot. The Morrowloot system is there for people who want an incentive to explore, but allow that 'experience' to allow them to meta/power game on replays. There's not really a middle ground, unfortunately.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 20, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, realism can go to hell. I'd rather just have fun with armors that look cool, enough carrying capacity to haul my stuff around, weightless money, and lightning I can shoot out of my hands (or a magic stick with a crystal on the end). I'm actually glad I don't know anything about real-life armor, so I don't have to think about it. Although I'll admit the weightless money does sometimes cross my mind in Fallout. You can explain it in TES with different coin denominations, but I don't think there are different denominations of bottlecaps.

On the other hand...

Woolie Wool posted:

People say "swords don't work that way" or "plate armor doesn't work that way" and "horses don't work that way" but nobody's going to say "dragons don't work that way". There is nothing to evaluate dragons magicking fire into existence with words by except themselves.

I maintain that true dragons have four legs plus wings. As for dragon breath being magic words instead of actual breath, I could go either way. A part of me doesn't like it, but I can also appreciate Bethesda wanting to put their own twist on it.

I guess I'm the reverse of what you're talking about.

NecroMonster posted:

Haha the game crashes several seconds after entering a cell everytime 100% of the time, and doesn't crash if I leave the cell before it happens and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is doing it. I really loving wish this drat game had some sort of error logging cause gently caress.

I can't help you with tracking the problem down, but I do know a trick that might help: Go to an interior cell, type "pcb" in the console, and wait a few days.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 20, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Praetorian Mage posted:

I maintain that true dragons have four legs plus wings.

The old dragon vs. wyvern argument. Congratulations, in a thread packed full of anal-retentive arguments you have just outdone us all. :patriot:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

I think you are missing my point; for the most part I think you are correct, armor in Skyrim is probably quite unrealistic, but that is ok because a lot of things in video games are abstracted or dumbed down for the sake of the gameplay, and the scope of the game. What is important is that the game still convey the feeling of being immersed in a fantasy-medieval world full of setting appropriate poo poo. Maybe you think that armor is too unrealistic and that it hurts your immersion or enjoyment of the game, but I feel fairly confident in saying that the vast majority of people who played Skyrim don't feel that way. Perhaps you would also be interested in mods that make you die of infection if you get any kind of open wound or perhaps a mod that makes you have to brush your hair in the morning after you get up or makes you walk down to the local river to wash up every couple weeks or so. Are all those things fairly realistic for the time period, yes, but that doesn't make them worth putting in the game. The armor in Skyrim may not be perfectly realistic, but it gets the message across in a sufficient manor for the majority of people.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Praetorian Mage posted:

I maintain that true dragons have four legs plus wings.
True dragons are big snakes with four legs and a moustache. :colbert:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a patch for Forsworn Briarhearts with body replacers? I've always seen Briarhearts running around in underwear instead of their unique clothing and with their wounds invisible using Better Males.
It's actually a Cloaks of Skyrim conflict. :downs:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Woolie Wool posted:

Actually the straps and buckles make a whole lot of sense if (a) you need a lot of attachment points to carry a massive quantity of poo poo around, (b) pockets do not exist because they were invented quite recently so all your poo poo has to be in external pouches and bags, and (c) buttons do not exist because they were invented quite recently so buckled straps are the only things strong enough to hold a heavy jacket on. If the Dragonborn is carrying around a hundred pounds of potions and reagents and random garbage picked off the floor of a moldy old tomb, where is he going to carry it all?

It's a game. Buttons don't exist because the designers chose not to include them in their clothing designs. The armor is designed as influenced by fantasy because it is a fantasy game and its primary concern is to evoke armor of fantasy. Historical parallels are incidental to that aim and arise from the traditions that TES comes from and as a means of portraying a mood, not in trying to faithfully recreate armors of yore.

If you want to talk obeying mundane precedent: why does nobody poo poo? Why are there no spears? Why are there no siege weapons? Where are the armies? Why are populations so low? The answers to these aren't as important as that bitchin' knockoff Conan armor you made in seconds, because verisimilitude takes a back seat to good design. Your average Skyrim player is not expecting Medieval Times -- they're expecting Dungeons and Dragons. Dress accordingly.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Blah blah blah.The same poo poo arguments in favor of lazy art design every time, despite other fantasy games doing it better. I can't say I actually enjoy The Witcher 2 that much as a game but its art design did right everything that Skyrim did wrong. The Witcher 2 has giant dragons and tentacle monsters the size of large earth movers and elves and mutant men with cat eyes and undead horrors by the bucketload but they put the time and effort to make the mundane parts look plausible.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

If you want to talk obeying mundane precedent: why does nobody poo poo? Why are there no spears? Why are there no siege weapons? Where are the armies? Why are populations so low? The answers to these aren't as important as that bitchin' knockoff Conan armor you made in seconds, because verisimilitude takes a back seat to good design. Your average Skyrim player is not expecting Medieval Times -- they're expecting Dungeons and Dragons. Dress accordingly.
There are some places that are obviously meant to be shitters. Small alcoves with a bucket and a healing potion in them. And the Stormcloaks use catapults when assaulting Whiterun.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think that a lot of the reason why everyone looks back so fondly on Morrowind was that they went so far in making all the mundane things in life on Vvardenfell weird and the low fidelity assets covered all the gaps. Everything was wacky and alien and magical, nothing was normal, and really blocky and low-poly besides, giving you only impressions of what things actually looked like.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Woolie Wool posted:

Blah blah blah.The same poo poo arguments in favor of lazy art design every time, despite other fantasy games doing it better. I can't say I actually enjoy The Witcher 2 that much as a game but its art design did right everything that Skyrim did wrong. The Witcher 2 has giant dragons and elves and mutant men with cat eyes and undead horrors by the bucketload but they put the time and effort to make the mundane parts look plausible.

Ah, you're above such arguments. Gotcha. :allears:

I'll just ask, then: Does The Witcher have a single piece of armor as widely recognizable as the horned iron helmet in Skyrim?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Roche's and Iorveth's armors are both immediately recognizable to me and speak volumes about their individual personalities and allegiances. The Dragonborn has no personality to convey through attire so he's kind of beaten there.

E: That iron helmet is the stupidest looking piece of gear in the entire game too.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'll just ask, then: Does The Witcher have a single piece of armor as widely recognizable as the horned iron helmet in Skyrim?

The starting Kaer Morhen armor from 3 is pretty iconic. Unfortunately, you dump it pretty quickly, even after you upgrade it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

E: That iron helmet is the stupidest looking piece of gear in the entire game too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FutonForensic posted:

The starting Kaer Morhen armor from 3 is pretty iconic. Unfortunately, you dump it pretty quickly, even after you upgrade it.

Eh, I think Geralt's jacket + striped trousers from Witcher 2.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Woolie Wool posted:

Roche's and Iorveth's armors are both immediately recognizable to me and speak volumes about their individual personalities and allegiances. The Dragonborn has no personality to convey through attire so he's kind of beaten there.

Yeah, it's not sleek or sexy, or even that well detailed. Nor does it tell you the backstory or personality of the character who wears it. But you're talking past my question.

FutonForensic posted:

Everyone starts with it, sure, and it looks great. I'd rather wear that than the horned helmet.

That's not what the horned helmet's trying to do, though. It's trying to be memorable. Seeing that helmet instantly takes far more people to snow and dragon fights and curved sworeds than character-specific Witcher armors take them to bog-romps and werewolf pelts. It's simple, striking (for better or worse) and evokes the game's overall aesthetic. You don't see those armors on YouTube logos and blogs nearly as much, do you? There might be a reason for that -- not because it looks appealing, but because it reliably and evocatively communicates the game.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I forgot about that one. :cripes:

God that's even worse than the Ordinator helmet from Morrowind, but the Ordinator helmet at least had the excuse that it was designed to scare citizens into obedience with its actual value as armor being strictly secondary.

We're watching you, scum.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

All helmets should have lips.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love the Dwemer armor so much. Savin' Skyrim as a mead guzzlin' daedra summonin' compulsively pickpocketin' magical steampunk robot.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just use the hide helmet mod to make it invisible when I'm wearing dwarven armor. I suppose it could work if it still had some dwarven motors to help you move, making you a sword and sorcery spess mehren.

E: Actually that would have been really interesting to make dwarven armor power armor with technological "enchantments" that boost your maximum stamina, carry weight, and melee damage at the cost of pickpocketing, lockpicking, and sneak. In the old attribute system it would probably be something like Fortify Strength 20 pts, Fortify Endurance 10 pts, Drain Speed 10 pts, Drain Agility 20 pts.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 20, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate all helmets. Being able to turn helmets into circlets then hide the ugly circlet with a hood is the best thing, whatever mod I'm using that's letting me do that.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Blah blah blah.The same poo poo arguments in favor of lazy art design every time, despite other fantasy games doing it better. I can't say I actually enjoy The Witcher 2 that much as a game but its art design did right everything that Skyrim did wrong. The Witcher 2 has giant dragons and tentacle monsters the size of large earth movers and elves and mutant men with cat eyes and undead horrors by the bucketload but they put the time and effort to make the mundane parts look plausible.

The armor in Skyrim looks plausible enough. I don't think it's lazy, its likely very much intentional how every armor looks in the game. It doesn't need or even want to look perfectly realistic because it is trying to evoke a feeling of fantasy, not realism.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I just use the hide helmet mod to make it invisible when I'm wearing dwarven armor. I suppose it could work if it still had some dwarven motors to help you move, making you a sword and sorcery spess mehren.
I don't go that far, I just use a mod that makes them semi-openfaced. Worse in a couple instances, lateral shift in a few, but usually better than vanilla.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was keeping track of Skywind so much I had no idea they had finished a working version of Morroblivion. Has anyone tried it and is it worth playing? Or should I not bother and wait for Skywind?

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Ive got a few questions/troubles

Whenever i use a bow, arrows don't fly strait at the crosshair, they always fly much higher than it. I've tried editing the skyrim.ini, I've tried the perfect aim mod and the realistic arrows mod and it hasnt done anything. Anyone know how to fix it?

And another one is, what ENB settings do i edit to reduce brightness during the day (its just a tad to bright) and what settings do i edit to make dungeons and night time no so pitch black.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I was keeping track of Skywind so much I had no idea they had finished a working version of Morroblivion. Has anyone tried it and is it worth playing? Or should I not bother and wait for Skywind?

It's morrowind -- in Oblivion. It's exactly as good and as bad as that could make it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't go that far, I just use a mod that makes them semi-openfaced. Worse in a couple instances, lateral shift in a few, but usually better than vanilla.

This image makes me uncomfortable: http://static-6.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/15927-1-1428038820.jpg

eta: And I like ICFH but the ebony helmet is a "worse than vanilla" example because part of what is cool about ebony is how you look like a loving dark knight ninja, faceless and cruel.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

To expand upon my point, Morrowind with the MGSO is a superior option, IMHO, unless you're just super crazy for Havok physics.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does Morrowind Combat Enhanced remove dice roll combat? If not, then Morroblivion is better just for not having that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Does Morrowind Combat Enhanced remove dice roll combat? If not, then Morroblivion is better just for not having that.
nnnnnnnnnngh.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Woolie Wool posted:

Duel sucks and its features are all lies, use Deadly Combat or Ultimate Combat.

loving seriously. I will never stop harping on this fact after reading the dissection of the mod Grimy did.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

loving seriously. I will never stop harping on this fact after reading the dissection of the mod Grimy did.

What did Grimy find out about Duel? Does it have things like bad scripts?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I would like to remind people that in an effort to disprove Grimy's slanderous claims, Duel's creator posted a screenshot of a disassembled script. Not the source code of that script, but instead something he ran through the CK's PapyrusAssembler.exe. And only a bit where some variables were declared. And then tried to pretend that proved that his scripts did what he claimed.
Also he made wonderful statements like this:

crazy duel dude posted:

Note from the author
Beyond the abstract layer of some numbers, there is a world of interaction where the Feedback form a whole that is greater than all the elements that compose it.

Although in a unitary manner the components of this mod does not seem to do anything, the fact is that the user experience is there and proves, at least, that some reviewer have still much to learn before they understand what actually made this mod.

When someone say that Duel is a lie, in fact he say that all the players who have appreciated this mod are liars.

For all the supporters, I hope you'll enjoy this new version of Duel.

- LogRaam

I still think the whole Duel thing was one of the highlights of Skyrim modding drama. :allears:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques/duel
In short: Duel made a fuckton of promises about how it revolutionized Skyrim's combat and people just swallowed it up. Grimy tried to setup a thing where modders reviewed each others work. When he then took a look at Duel he found that Duel didn't do anywhere near all the things its creator claimed.
And then there was a huge drama because apparently making objectively true statements was an attempt to destroy all modding forever.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 20, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Nah. It was just a couple of readily accessible fiddled variables. You could probably reproduce the mod in its entirety using Grimmy's SkyTweak by just tinkering around with a couple of number sliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I know this is specifically Skyrim, but I couldn't find a thread for Oblivion. So is anyone here knowledgable about the Oblivion Construction Set. I would like to create custom summons spells (IE Summon Minotaur), but I have no idea how to do it.

• Locked thread