Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It Warhammer, somewhere in the setting there is a group of dwarves trying to figure out how they can decorate a skull with other skulls

E. Can someone explain in more detail what happened to the setting? People are saying it blew up but I thought they just meant that GW wasn't supporting it anymore. They actually entirely redid Fantasy?

They literally had the entire planet blow up. Before they did they made shitload of things to make sure the setting was as dead as possible (flurry of novels killing basically all named characters, making progressively more insane and bad rulebooks at ruinous cost that literally said "if you have this book you can force the other player to use these rules", etc.). Then they replaced it with the blandest thing possible - big dudes with space marine proportions fighting generic daemons with space marine weaponry (minus bolters) - with a whopping 4 Page rulebook and no points costs or limits on any units fielded. Warhammer Fantasy is now a "roleplaying miniatures game" (because GW literally thinks their target market isn't gamers, but model collectors who buy them for the sake of looking at them), where everything goes and the rules are for you to make up.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only good thing seems to be that since the good setting is now "dead" to GW they are quicker to license it out so we get games like Vermintide and the upcoming Total War game at least

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
GW is the most hilariously poorly run company. Blizzard should just make Warcraft and Starcraft miniatures games with a reasonable cost, custom heroes /models that can be sold at higher cost, and sink GW into the dust.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

(because GW literally thinks their target market isn't gamers, but model collectors who buy them for the sake of looking at them)

Which is funny, because most of the models I've seen are dull and generic as gently caress. I mean even Space Marines have that whole Gothic/Roman/Crusader look going for them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is what they replaced everything with. The entire army, including heros, all look like this either with different weapons or some have really stupid looking angel wings

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The only good thing seems to be that since the good setting is now "dead" to GW they are quicker to license it out so we get games like Vermintide and the upcoming Total War game at least

It's odd that their approach to 40k is basically the opposite. It used to be tightly controlled with GW retaining oversight and approval privilege, which led to few 40k games, but the ones we got were awesome. The glory days of THQ (and though them, Relic) having the license, leading to Dawn of War, Space Marine and the (really good looking) 40k MMO that never came out.

But when THQ went bust GW switched to the opposite stance - everybody can get the 40k license, and can make whatever trash game they want with it. So now the market is flooded with lovely games with the 40k branding on them ruining what used to be a guarantee of quality. While Fantasy Warhammer is still basically non-existent on the market - until they blew it up and now there's games.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

SIGMARINES FOR SIGMAR

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Age of Sigmar is really bad and stupid

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is what they replaced everything with. The entire army, including heros, all look like this either with different weapons or some have really stupid looking angel wings

Could our Warhammer Fantasy customers, perhaps, be consciously not buying Warhammer 40k minis? That can't be right, best destroy WHF and replace it with Not40k to teach them the error of their ways!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

They literally had the entire planet blow up. Before they did they made shitload of things to make sure the setting was as dead as possible (flurry of novels killing basically all named characters, making progressively more insane and bad rulebooks at ruinous cost that literally said "if you have this book you can force the other player to use these rules", etc.). Then they replaced it with the blandest thing possible - big dudes with space marine proportions fighting generic daemons with space marine weaponry (minus bolters) - with a whopping 4 Page rulebook and no points costs or limits on any units fielded. Warhammer Fantasy is now a "roleplaying miniatures game" (because GW literally thinks their target market isn't gamers, but model collectors who buy them for the sake of looking at them), where everything goes and the rules are for you to make up.

Also remember the new rules have dumb rear end poo poo like you have a bigger mustache take an extra roll or poo poo equally retarded.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

Also remember the new rules have dumb rear end poo poo like you have a bigger mustache take an extra roll or poo poo equally retarded.

That's only for the old pre-AoS legacy armies where their stated goal for those rules is either make them so embarrassing or unfun to play against people will stop playing those armies out of embarrassment and/or because no one will want to play with them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wow, that all sure is... something :stare:

I get that they wanted to end the series, but why start over and make all these insane changes rather than just dumping it entirely and focusing on 40k? It just doesn't make any sense, just keep selling the old stuff rather than some insane redesign

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's only for the old pre-AoS legacy armies where their stated goal for those rules is either make them so embarrassing or unfun to play against people will stop playing those armies out of embarrassment and/or because no one will want to play with them

That doesn't make it any better, so my point still stands, AoS has new dumb rear end rules. Now amended to being dumb rear end rules for dumb rear end reasons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

GW is the most hilariously poorly run company. Blizzard should just make Warcraft and Starcraft miniatures games with a reasonable cost, custom heroes /models that can be sold at higher cost, and sink GW into the dust.

lol if you think Blizzard would do anything besides a Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibo-esque figure DLC game

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

More dumb rear end GW poo poo, look at what they are charging $985 USD for: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/The-Vengeance-of-Azyrheim

Look at all that variety

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

That doesn't make it any better, so my point still stands, AoS has new dumb rear end rules. Now amended to being dumb rear end rules for dumb rear end reasons.

Oh no I agree. AoS is purestrain poo poo. It's just even worse for people who had armies before AoS destroyed everything cause now their armies are made to purposely be terrible

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I really wanted to play Skaven or Vampire Counts before too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, there's nothing stopping you from playing the old game, right? Or has GW actually pulled all of those rulebooks from store shelves?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Mordja posted:

I mean, there's nothing stopping you from playing the old game, right? Or has GW actually pulled all of those rulebooks from store shelves?

Yes

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Anyone who's into Warhammer video games but isn't especially familiar with Games Workshop as a company, if it wasn't already clear by what's been said in here so far how utterly terrible and nonsensical they are is a deep rabbit hole to go down. They're great IPs owned by one of the worst companies in existence.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

They don't sell or print old editions of rules.

It's still pretty easy to get the models though, pretty much every miniature store I've been to since AoS dropped has a huge stock of pre-End Times/AoS models

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
loving :lol:

Welp, maybe AOS will continue to sell like poo poo and they'll just retcon the whole thing

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Mordja posted:

If you sell old poo poo GW will stop shipping you product, and there's still a lot of 40k players. GW doesn't let you just sell one line, you have to carry all of their products. It really fucks stores.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Anyone who's into Warhammer video games but isn't especially familiar with Games Workshop as a company, if it wasn't already clear by what's been said in here so far how utterly terrible and nonsensical they are is a deep rabbit hole to go down. They're great IPs owned by one of the worst companies in existence.

It really is awful, because the setting itself is ridiculously fun when you take it as how it is intended, aka a weird fun satire with comically over the top everything.

I can't wait until I can start pirating the figurines with a 3d printer so they will finally drop the prices below twenty bucks for a space marine

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Drythe posted:

GW is dumb.

I hope they go bankrupt and sell the IP to someone competent.

People have been saying this exact same thing for over 25 years and it's not happened yet.

All of the dumb stuff people have posted in here that GW have done recently, they have done in the past and will do so again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It really is awful, because the setting itself is ridiculously fun when you take it as how it is intended, aka a weird fun satire with comically over the top everything.

I can't wait until I can start pirating the figurines with a 3d printer so they will finally drop the prices below twenty bucks for a space marine

It will be a very long time before 3d printed models look even passably similar to injection moulding

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you're really interested in the long conversation there is a 'Games Workshop Deathpool' thread here which has been going on for a very long time now. In its depths it has anecdotes, data and quite often actual company investor reports that detail how bizzare and out-of-touch with actual business practises Games Workshop truly are, as well as years of Games Workshop fans venting about the company they onced loved telling them to eat poo poo.

If you grew up in the United Kingdom in the 80s or 90s before videogames were a cultural juggernaut, and you liked minatures, painting, wargaming or just generally nerdier hobbies, then GW were the absolute undisputed masters and it was a generally very welcoming hobby (stores run by fans, givaways, tournaments and a good atmosphere for kids etc). It was always expensive but not ruinously so. Then somewhere in the late 90s/early 2000s something happened (I think something about the old founders who were all bearded wargamers rotated out or retiring, replaced by accountants or something?) and they just started gouging the absoute gently caress out of their fans while shutting down the outreach programs they did have like tournaments with comped prizes or providing gear to stores for painting/gaming classes, as well as refusing to acknowledge any kind of change in the industry or technology.

Like I said it's a long conversation. It ends with the answer that GW has run into that weird place the anime industry is at where they are increasingly catering to a small percent of fans who will pay huge premiums for their minatures and paints, even as other companies who are not explicitly hostile to their buyers have risen up to steal market share and loyalty. Kickstarter exists now and some fantastic stuff is coming out of that, and companies like Mantic who make Kings of War in which you are free to use your old Warhammer models.

Do not give GW money.

Vermintide is great. Can't wait for friday!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They don't sell or print old editions of rules.

It's still pretty easy to get the models though, pretty much every miniature store I've been to since AoS dropped has a huge stock of pre-End Times/AoS models

A lot of dudes have pretty much given up and sold all their armies and old books. It is kind of heart breaking really and I hope GW crashes hard in the next few years.

Skaven are what the Orks are to the 40k setting, interesting, insane and over the top as hell. I honestly hope they look into a versus game mode where players can mess with the player heroes as the Skaven.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SeanBeansShako posted:

A lot of dudes have pretty much given up and sold all their armies and old books. It is kind of heart breaking really and I hope GW crashes hard in the next few years.

Skaven are what the Orks are to the 40k setting, interesting, insane and over the top as hell. I honestly hope they look into a versus game mode where players can mess with the player heroes as the Skaven.

But there are Orks in Warhammer Fantasy? I do wonder how a Orks vs Skaven fight would turn out between two crazy high volume armies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BexGu posted:

But there are Orks in Warhammer Fantasy? I do wonder how a Orks vs Skaven fight would turn out between two crazy high volume armies.

Personally, I like Skaven more in fantasy as they seem to one up Orks in the crazy factor with most things. I still love fantasy Orks, but they need to get a dangerous as hell crazy drug habit.

Also, I kind of hope this game is a success so Fat Shark get a licence to do a 40k themed expansion/sequel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SeanBeansShako posted:

Personally, I like Skaven more in fantasy as they seem to one up Orks in the crazy factor with most things. I still love fantasy Orks, but they need to get a dangerous as hell crazy drug habit.

Also, I kind of hope this game is a success so Fat Shark get a licence to do a 40k themed expansion/sequel.

Yeah the first thing me and my friends thought of when Vermintides gameplay videos came out as, "Deathwatch would be the perfect excuse to throw a bunch of chapters together for a 40k version of this".

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Drythe posted:

More dumb rear end GW poo poo, look at what they are charging $985 USD for: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/The-Vengeance-of-Azyrheim

Look at all that variety

hahaha what the hell

has anyone ever bought that?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah the first thing me and my friends thought of when Vermintides gameplay videos came out as, "Deathwatch would be the perfect excuse to throw a bunch of chapters together for a 40k version of this".

Hopefully Deathwing will do the job if it ever comes out!

Illegal Username posted:

hahaha what the hell

I know a guy who has spent probably close to 10k on Space Marine stuff. I don't think he even plays the game.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Illegal Username posted:

hahaha what the hell

I mean, I have $3k in 40k, but I played Chaos so I was able to make all my things look different.

Those things are all just the same generic poo poo. But, yes. I guarantee there is some sad soul who bought that bundle. (Also GW bundles often don't even have a discount on them and one time I found one that costed more)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is this game fun? I still play Left 4 Dead 2 with friends, and if this has as much replayability, it would be a pretty good deal.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's very fun

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's a lot of fun, if you like the idea of a Left 4 Dead with a more fleshed out melee system in exchange for powerful but limited ammo ranged weapons then this is for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Boz0r posted:

Is this game fun? I still play Left 4 Dead 2 with friends, and if this has as much replayability, it would be a pretty good deal.

Yes game is fun

If you really need more persuasion than that you're not actually thinkin about buying the game hth

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

People have been saying this exact same thing for over 25 years and it's not happened yet.

All of the dumb stuff people have posted in here that GW have done recently, they have done in the past and will do so again.

Because, as far as I know, they operate under a strict no-debt rule. They're one of the very few companies that doesn't have any debt at all. They'll be around for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

This game is kinda neat.

Except that I got screamed at in all caps and votekicked in my first game for not understanding whatever dumb exploit the pubbie wanted me to use "STAND ON THE loving HORN". gently caress you, and the horse you rode in on, sir.

I have 300 hours in payday, I know better than to touch the stove. :sigh:

• Locked thread