Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just logged in to see that some lovely people have donated more lights and a Rishi Idol to the Republic headquarters. :3:

Slowly but surely, we will surpass TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Was the Jedi Knight writer under orders to never allow any breathing space in the story? Every single quest is "hurry hurry hurry or everyone's going to die even you!!!". And then you've got to hurry to the next planet, because things are even more urgent there. No time to upgrade your gear or do any of the planet quests or flashpoints or whatever other content I'm fairly sure exists.

It's just a tedious, unceasing tide of super-weapons that need to be stopped. I can't see how it could be playable without 12x class xp. And then when Orgus Din dies it's hard to give a poo poo because they spent no time establishing him as anything other the a deceptive idiot that sends you on deadly missions and repeatedly gets himself trapped or captured. Best I can remember the only impressive thing he did was pull some rocks in front of a hole when my character was level 2.

I'm "the best student he ever trained", only he spent no time training me (I learned all my skills off random Jedi littered conveniently around the galaxy). But then my competition is Bengel Morr so I suppose that's not bad writing, given how easy it was to kill him.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
New cartel market items https://torcommunity.com/database/update-previews/1080-4-0-mined

:homebrew:

:homebrew:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

Was the Jedi Knight writer under orders to never allow any breathing space in the story? Every single quest is "hurry hurry hurry or everyone's going to die even you!!!". And then you've got to hurry to the next planet, because things are even more urgent there. No time to upgrade your gear or do any of the planet quests or flashpoints or whatever other content I'm fairly sure exists.

It's just a tedious, unceasing tide of super-weapons that need to be stopped. I can't see how it could be playable without 12x class xp. And then when Orgus Din dies it's hard to give a poo poo because they spent no time establishing him as anything other the a deceptive idiot that sends you on deadly missions and repeatedly gets himself trapped or captured. Best I can remember the only impressive thing he did was pull some rocks in front of a hole when my character was level 2.

I'm "the best student he ever trained", only he spent no time training me (I learned all my skills off random Jedi littered conveniently around the galaxy). But then my competition is Bengel Morr so I suppose that's not bad writing, given how easy it was to kill him.

I'm not sure what you really... expect there, there isn't really any questline in the game that has appreciable downtime story-wise that isn't done off-screen. If you want that you just go and do sidequests or other stuff for a while. :v: The 12x XP really made some classes stories a lot more hectic though, yes.

Not that the knight story doesn't have big issues though. Even if the only really unforgivable one is how anticlimactic the Act 2>3 transition is, there's something that really needed to be dragged out through at least Belsavis or something to drive the point home. Still a drat sight better than the Trooper storyline though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzBpJ1XYwc

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I want everything!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

I'm not sure what you really... expect there, there isn't really any questline in the game that has appreciable downtime story-wise that isn't done off-screen. If you want that you just go and do sidequests or other stuff for a while. :v: The 12x XP really made some classes stories a lot more hectic though, yes.

I haven't played any of the other classes so I can't compare them.

I'm just finding it very strange and offputting that the writing for the main story thread in an MMO - games that feature multiple different game-modes, group content, social aspects, base building etc. - is so deliberately focused on driving the player forward at pace through a single quest line, discouraging the player from exploring any of these other features. Everything is an emergency, nothing can wait, by explicit design.

It's an incredibly simple thing to make the next quest in a chain "meet me at x when you're ready, and we'll begin your next lesson". Basic awareness of the kind of project you are writing for should tell you that natural breathing spaces between adventures are important, so that a player can feel encouraged to go and do the things they want to do.

That the Jedi Knight story (and apparently that of all the other classes as well) take the opposite approach is baffling. Either you commit to the narrative you're given and become undergeared and (with the new xp values) underlevelled, or you take time to catch up on things and the story falls apart. Obviously the superweapon will wait for me to stop it, but why shine a spotlight on that?

It's bad writing. Even films don't maintain the same level of urgency for 90 minutes plus, and when watching those you don't have the choice to go shoot wamp rats for the local dirt farmers' last 100 credits.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 20, 2015

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Are the login servers also down for maintenance, or did they crash with everyone trying to start downloading? I tried about 30 minutes after it started before I left for school but I couldn't log in.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

sassassin posted:

I haven't played any of the other classes so I can't compare them.

I'm just finding it very strange and offputting that the writing for the main story thread in an MMO - games that feature multiple different game-modes, group content, social aspects, base building etc. - is so deliberately focused on driving the player forward at pace through a single quest line, discouraging the player from exploring any of these other features. Everything is an emergency, nothing can wait, by explicit design.

It's an incredibly simple thing to make the next quest in a chain "meet me at x when you're ready, and we'll begin your next lesson". Basic awareness of the kind of project you are writing for should tell you that natural breathing spaces between adventures are important, so that a player can feel encouraged to go and do the things they want to do.

That the Jedi Knight story (and apparently that of all the other classes as well) take the opposite approach is baffling. Either you commit to the narrative you're given and become undergeared and (with the new xp values) underlevelled, or you take time to catch up on things and the story falls apart. Obviously the superweapon will wait for me to stop it, but why shine a spotlight on that?

It's bad writing. Even films don't maintain the same level of urgency for 90 minutes plus, and when watching those you don't have the choice to go shoot wamp rats for the local dirt farmers' last 100 credits.

The thing with the Jedi Knight (and I'm not excusing it, you do raise a valid point) is that the entire thrust of the story is pretty much casting you as Chosen Bioware Protagonist 3. By the end of the JK story I certainly had a sense that the Knight is the main agent of change in the game, so you do get a bit of the 'Most Important Man in the Galaxy' effect.

Tuskin38 posted:

Are the login servers also down for maintenance, or did they crash with everyone trying to start downloading? I tried about 30 minutes after it started before I left for school but I couldn't log in.

Down for me as well. According to the SWTOR Twitter they went down to roll out 4.0 an hour ago.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I won't be home until about 3 hours after the maintenance is done, hopefully the servers are not too slow

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

sassassin posted:

Maybe it's me but it also feels the most padded. Almost finished Corellia before maintenance started and the last thing I did was go push buttons in 3 different buildings fighting my way in and out through each one. To give some context on how much slop of enemy chaff was put in my way there was a bonus quest for each building, Kill 25, kill 15, kill 30 enemies.

Coming shortly after having to press 3 other different buttons in 3 locations having to fight through enemies on the way in and out. Uuuugh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SKY COQ posted:

The thing with the Jedi Knight (and I'm not excusing it, you do raise a valid point) is that the entire thrust of the story is pretty much casting you as Chosen Bioware Protagonist 3. By the end of the JK story I certainly had a sense that the Knight is the main agent of change in the game, so you do get a bit of the 'Most Important Man in the Galaxy' effect.

I've got no issue with that. The concept of being the big important hero is fine, though they lay it on a bit thick at times, and even give you dialogue options to say stuff like "I'm obviously not the only Jedi in the galaxy, call someone else once in a while" just so they can fob you off with nonsense and fellate your ego (with teeth).

Even that sort of story can be paced effectively. Don't queue up two superweapons at once and have them activate the moment you set foot on either planet. And don't follow that up with two emergency transmissions in a row that need immediate responses (and of course I'm the only one near enough to respond in a galaxy with hyperdrives and faster than light communication).

Have them start charging the death ray at the end of act two, not the start of act one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Catsworth posted:

Maybe it's me but it also feels the most padded. Almost finished Corellia before maintenance started and the last thing I did was go push buttons in 3 different buildings fighting my way in and out through each one. To give some context on how much slop of enemy chaff was put in my way there was a bonus quest for each building, Kill 25, kill 15, kill 30 enemies.

Coming shortly after having to press 3 other different buttons in 3 locations having to fight through enemies on the way in and out. Uuuugh.

Killing lots of people for no reason is not the Jedi way.

Or at least it shouldn't be. The code is unclear. I don't complete most of the bonus quests. They are usually hard to justify, both morally and as a time investment.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SKY COQ posted:

Thinking about it, I felt like a pretty major agent of change for every class. Some of it might have been more local than universal (the Sith, for example, mostly change things on the Dark Council), but they were all pretty significant.

The Agent storyline helped with this, because you see the old pirate from the Smuggler storyline on the Star Cabal. As well as a Twilek woman from the Jedi starting planet!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

sassassin posted:

Killing lots of people for no reason is not the Jedi way.

Or at least it shouldn't be. The code is unclear. I don't complete most of the bonus quests. They are usually hard to justify, both morally and as a time investment.

These were the results of picking lightside options! :eng101:

I definitely didn't finish them all since they aren't worth much without the 12x but it was frustrating how many enemies they put in the way. Like way more than normal.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 20, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tunicate posted:

And legacy storage
:agreed:

...well you know this one is already in the game. :)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Guys I'm updating, it's happening
So get your launchers launched or whatever. Servers still not back up for a few hours though I think!

E: It's installed, I can launch to 4.0's splash screen. But servers still down :f5h::gonk:

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 20, 2015

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I may have a way to leave school early. Last class is pretty much do assignment and leave

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tuskin38 posted:

I may have a way to leave school early. Last class is pretty much do assignment and leave

It's only a videogame, mate. It's not going anywhere.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tuskin38 posted:

Don't be a fool, stay in school.

And remember: crack is whack.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Since the 12x xp is gone as of today, is the 6x for class and world missions already in for everyone? Or am I stuck leveling slowly for a week?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chickenwalker posted:

Don't be a fool, stay in school.

And remember: crack is whack.

Pure Cocaine tho is lit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As I try and get my launcher to work before I go off to work, in honor of comic chat I'll leave this here, one of my fav RLM things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got the launcher updated and saw the new splash art.

I know it's a minor thing, but Bioware? I'm pretty sure we could have figured out the princess lady was a woman without the cleavage window.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

Got the launcher updated and saw the new splash art.

I know it's a minor thing, but Bioware? I'm pretty sure we could have figured out the princess lady was a woman without the cleavage window.

Men can have cleavage too.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Guys I'm updating, it's happening
So get your launchers launched or whatever. Servers still not back up for a few hours though I think!

E: It's installed, I can launch to 4.0's splash screen. But servers still down :f5h::gonk:

Servers are down until at least 11AM EST. Go have a coffee or something :)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yeah it's supposed to be 4pm my time (1 hour and 12 minutes!) but I'm checking their Twitter every now and then just in case. I should really grab some lunch anyway!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Oh yeah?

The Old Republic ‏@SWTOR now26 seconds ago
All #SWTOR servers are now available! Thanks!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Or you know log in right now!

They're up

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Man, that new character select screen :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Or you know log in right now!

They're up

I'm still patching. :( I woke up to space-pee at 6am and started the launcher so of course it got all messed up. Luckily this is the same thing that happened a few weeks ago and deleting the bitraider files and forcing a re-check worked then, hopefully it works now.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

"Welcome to Knights of the Fallen Empire"

Got my healing HK-51, new groupfinder looks awesome, YOU CAN SEARCH COLLECTIONS (though you have to click category first)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Did anyone else take screenshots of their legacy vault and character stats so they could compare today? :D

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Summon random mount includes your rocket boots. How sad :(

Edit: But it won't activate the cooldown, so it's all fine!

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

That should be reported as a bug, I suspect.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Edit: But it won't activate the cooldown, so it's all fine!

hahaha really?

Dunno-Lars posted:

"Welcome to Knights of the Fallen Empire"

Got my healing HK-51, new groupfinder looks awesome, YOU CAN SEARCH COLLECTIONS (though you have to click category first)

holy poo poo yesssss

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FYI the legacy datacrons work like this:

When you log on to the character that got the datacron, it unlocks in your legacy automatically - no cost. Good luck remembering who did what datacron and/or just plain logging on with all your alts to get them all to trigger.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

hahaha really?

holy poo poo yesssss

Medullah posted:

That should be reported as a bug, I suspect.

Yes, rocket boost is one of the random mounts, had it twice in 10 or so activations. But it won't trigger the cooldown on the actual ability, so it just means you have to press the random mount again in 12 seconds.

Edit:

Also, when you log in, ALL your companions gear is dumped into your inventory, with whatever that won't fit sent by mail. So prepare to get dumped on... Can't see a sorting option in legacy storage, but I did get about a third of my crafting material bays freed up.

Crafting the blue level 64 tank implant requires 12 of the new components, that you have to craft.

Influence is maxing out at 250k, with 50 ranks. Maxed companions with 10k affection starts with 10k influence and rank 10, giving +500 presence when summoned, +15% time efficiency for crew skill tasks and +5% critical rate for crew skill tasks. Rank 1 is 50, 1.5% and 0.5% respectively, rank 9 450/13.5%/4.5% , so it seems linear.

Your added up stats, including power, defense and such, is showed where old stats were. Don't have to add up anymore.

Got to go now, looking forward to this later!

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 20, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

Yes, rocket boost is one of the random mounts, had it twice in 10 or so activations. But it won't trigger the cooldown on the actual ability, so it just means you have to press the random mount again in 12 seconds.

Then don't report it, hopefully that means if we spam random mount while walking in an operation we can mount a bit more often. ;)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:siren:Win a Togruta unlock contest results are in:siren:

I know everyone's freaking out about 4.0 launching and all but I'm clearing that one up.

We got about a dozen participants for this and a whole lot of cool outfits and screenshots showcased (which you can find compiled here: TNG Fashion Show)

Thanks to all who entered the contest.

Without further ado, the winner - which was randomly selected - is: Aphrodite!

Congratulations - expect your Togruta unlock token via in-game mail to Illyenna shortly.

Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So, so, so, so many mails. :(

• Locked thread