Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lol so apple music is down to 6 mil from 11 mil when the free subscription ended. just lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
cremnob owns

keep on cremnobbin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fits my needs posted:

lol so apple music is down to 6 mil from 11 mil when the free subscription ended. just lol.

hahah yeah 6 million paying subscribiers on a brandn new service thatas awful! a whole third of spotifys customer babse in 3 months, what a flop!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I need more ringtones for my phone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

hahah yeah 6 million paying subscribiers on a brandn new service thatas awful! a whole third of spotifys customer babse in 3 months, what a flop!!

given that the trend is downward and shows no sign of increasing yeah, it's most definitely a flop

tim is too busy starfucking to care whether or not apple creates products and services that are of any quality, and apple music is the best proof of this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

given that the trend is downward and shows no sign of increasing yeah, it's most definitely a flop

tim is too busy starfucking to care whether or not he creates products and services that are of any quality, and apple music is the best proof of this

what rtend? subscriber numbers? they're goping up. overall accounts arent as free trials run out, but payingi customer caccounts are going up. im sorryr u cant understand the beauty of apple music.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
apple music like most bundled apple products and services is good enough for the average nonsperg, which is why it will win

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

what rtend? subscriber numbers? they're goping up. overall accounts arent as free trials run out, but payingi customer caccounts are going up. im sorryr u cant understand the beauty of apple music.

i'm glad you agree that accounts are going down, which is the only metric that is relevant

there is no sensible way to consider a service that has a 50% decline in subscribers as anything other than a flop

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

i'm glad you agree that accounts are going down, which is the only metric that is relevant

there is no sensible way to consider a service that has a 50% decline in subscribers as anything other than a flop

unless u take into account a 3 month free us eperiod extended to all users which has recently expired.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

fits my needs posted:

nice job willfully ignoring that there are still another 8 million customers on the free trial i guess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Stux posted:

unless u take into account a 3 month free us eperiod extended to all users which has recently expired.

lol you're arguing with stymie, idiot.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

it has been taken into account and disregarded because it's irrelevant

the intent of subscribers discontinuing the service is irrelevant, the subscribers left, that means the service is a flop

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple Music went from zero paying subscribers to 6 million as of this month. more than 50% retention rate in the conversion from free to paid is pretty loving high.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

it has been taken into account and disregarded because it's irrelevant

the intent of subscribers discontinuing the service is irrelevant, the subscribers left, that means the service is a flop

a subscriptionbn is a paid service, members not paying, for example sooemone who took advantage of sosme kind of free period of use, are by definitition not subscribers, so subscribers, thaht isi member s of the service who are paying a subscription fee, have gone up. im srory basic use of words and concepts known to a 10 yea rold are so diffiicult for you to comprehend.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hmm iphoen is the best selling phoen, but what about the entrei population of the world not using iphoens ? what a failure....

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

Apple Music went from zero paying subscribers to 6 million as of this month. more than 50% retention rate in the conversion from free to paid is pretty loving high.

and yet it is still a 50% decline in overall subscribers which is unacceptable as a metric to anyone with any sense

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I bet most of those 6 mil forgot to turn off the sub

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

and yet it is still a 50% decline in overall subscribers which is unacceptable as a metric to anyone with any sense

if they werent paying a subscription they werent subscribers by deifintiion.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

a subscriptionbn is a paid service, members not paying, for example sooemone who took advantage of sosme kind of free period of use, are by definitition not subscribers, so subscribers, thaht isi member s of the service who are paying a subscription fee, have gone up. im srory basic use of words and concepts known to a 10 yea rold are so diffiicult for you to comprehend.

no a subscriber is someone who subscribes to a service, and they will not be paying for it in any context now because they have discontinued the service

the service was poor enough quality that fully 50% of their subscribers said "no, i will not continue subscribing to this service" and this makes the service a flop

or are you insinuating that apple was stupid enough to not monetize "unpaying" subscribers somehow?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

no a subscriber is someone who subscribes to a service, and they will not be paying for it in any context now because they have discontinued the service

the service was poor enough quality that fully 50% of their subscribers said "no, i will not continue subscribing to this service" and this makes the service a flop

or are you insinuating that apple was stupid enough to not monetize "unpaying" subscribers somehow?

i agree a subscriberbe is someone who subscribes 2 a service. a subscription is the paying of a fee at regular intervals in exchanenge for a service, so anyone not paying a fee is not a subscriber. please ring up ur high school english techer to confimr these basic facts about what wwords mean.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

i agree a subscriberbe is someone who subscribes 2 a service. a subscription is the paying of a fee at regular intervals in exchanenge for a service, so anyone not paying a fee is not a subscriber. please ring up ur high school english techer to confimr these basic facts about what wwords mean.

subscribers are subscribers, whether they are paying or not is irrelevant to their status as a subscriber

i guess you've accepted the fact that apple designed their service so poorly that they can only consider paying subscribers as valuable to their service, which further cements apple music as a flop from its inception

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

if you want to look at free to paid conversion, spotify's numbers are horrendous. 80% of their users don't pay them a dime

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

subscribers are subscribers, whether they are paying or not is irrelevant to their status as a subscriber

i guess you've accepted the fact that apple designed their service so poorly that they can only consider paying subscribers as valuable to their service, which further cements apple music as a flop from its inception

a subscriberb paying or not is only irrelevannt if u disagree with how the english languuage works and what words mean

applel propibably only consider paying customers as valuable 2 their service, becuase the entire service is based on a apid subscription. unbbelievable that apple makde a service u have to pay for and then only count paying customers as paying customers.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

if you want to look at free to paid conversion, spotify's numbers are horrendous. 80% of their users don't pay them a dime

and yet their service is designed that those free users are still monetized, unlike apple music apparently

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

a subscriberb paying or not is only irrelevannt if u disagree with how the english languuage works and what words mean

applel propibably only consider paying customers as valuable 2 their service, becuase the entire service is based on a apid subscription. unbbelievable that apple makde a service u have to pay for and then only count paying customers as paying customers.

great, thanks for confirming

tim has rolled out a service so poorly designed that it has been failing since its creation up until this month because it had no paying customers and yet was providing a service

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

great, thanks for confirming

tim has rolled out a service so poorly designed that it has been failing since its creation up until this month because it had no paying customers and yet was providing a service

is english ur 2nd language. do u always have such issues such as not udnenrstanding basic concepts such as "free trial" and "paid service".

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

is english ur 2nd language. do u always have such issues such as not udnenrstanding basic concepts such as "free trial" and "paid service".

i understand them just fine

you seem to be struggling with the idea that services that are subscriber-based function based on a promise of a certain base of subscribers to the content providers to attract them and if those subscribers have a drastic decline in less than a fiscal quarter, those content providers may be less than eager to continue providing their content

sorry to move beyond what the definition of "subscribers" is :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

i understand them just fine

you seem to be struggling with the idea that services that are subscriber-based function based on a promise of a certain base of subscribers to the content providers to attract them and if those subscribers have a drastic decline in less than a fiscal quarter, those content providers may be less than eager to continue providing their content

sorry to move beyond what the definition of "subscribers" is :(

no i udnnerstand and agree with that idea, and apple music has done jusut that, because the word subscriber in regards to a serveivce which is a apid service implicitlyl means someone paying a recurring feee for that service, and ur wishes for it to mean something different doesnt erase the definition of a word.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a user or f spotifys free ad basbed service is not a subscriber of spotify, as confirmed by spotifys own literature where the worod subscriber is only used in reference to their subscribers, that is fee paying members of their service. incredible that this v basic concept and idea of what a word means is taking such a long time for u to understand.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

no i udnnerstand and agree with that idea, and apple music has done jusut that, because the word subscriber in regards to a serveivce which is a apid service implicitlyl means someone paying a recurring feee for that service, and ur wishes for it to mean something different doesnt erase the definition of a word.

look, i'll lay it out here because you're struggling with this: apple music, like other similar services, was created with the intent that all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, have a monetized value to the service provider and, in turn, the content providers enabling the service to exist

basically, i'm giving apple more credit than you seem to be which is strange

when those subscribers decline 50% in the quarter, there is no meaningful distinction because all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, are valuable and therefore the value of the service has declined to the content providers

when the value of a service declines to such a drastic degree it is reasonable to declare that it is a flop

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

look, i'll lay it out here because you're struggling with this: apple music, like other similar services, was created with the intent that all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, have a monetized value to the service provider and, in turn, the content providers enabling the service to exist

basically, i'm giving apple more credit than you seem to be which is strange

when those subscribers decline 50% in the quarter, there is no meaningful distinction because all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, are valuable and therefore the value of the service has declined to the content providers

when the value of a service declines to such a drastic degree it is reasonable to declare that it is a flop

what value do non paying customers have?
and don't say ads because apple has literally never done anything that was ad-supported

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

and don't say ads because apple has literally never done anything that was ad-supported

they are consuming the content which is a prerequisite for paying for the content through any number of other sources, such as itunes

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

they are consuming the content which is a prerequisite for paying for the content through any number of other sources, such as itunes

but why should they pay for it if apple themselves are giving it away

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

but why should they pay for it if apple themselves are giving it away

because the myth of the freeloading content consumer is just that, a myth

content producers know that even the most inveterate pirate will still buy content

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

well itunes radio has ads if you dont have itunes match

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stymie posted:

because the myth of the freeloading content consumer is just that, a myth

content producers know that even the most inveterate pirate will still buy content

no I would pretty much never buy content; can't think of a time when I would

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

no I would pretty much never buy content; can't think of a time when I would

you have, you just may not be conscious of it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Stux posted:

a user or f spotifys free ad basbed service is not a subscriber of spotify, as confirmed by spotifys own literature where the worod subscriber is only used in reference to their subscribers, that is fee paying members of their service. incredible that this v basic concept and idea of what a word means is taking such a long time for u to understand.

Thank you for posting in FYAD once in 2009 so I can probate you whenever I want.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

I bet most of those 6 mil forgot to turn off the sub

shaggar was right

• Locked thread