Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

DNova posted:

Yeah I think approaching faculty may be the wrong approach for this reason.

Speaking as a film student, finding people willing to act is the hardest part of most projects, so that's a good way to get in with film students. Bonus points if you're a non-white/ non-male/ non-college-age person (aka something different than your average film student since we always wind up acting in each others' films).

Availability and enthusiasm are the two biggest virtues I'd look for in potential collaborators. The guy I work with the most is an absolute pain in the rear end when it comes to running a camera, but he's very patient, has a good eye for continuity, and isn't a white early-20s male. He's an asset on set, can saves all kinds of time by working as a grip, and acts when needed.

As for finding film students, maybe look for local events that they would be participating in; 48 hour film competitions and the like.Or see if their school has a Facebook page that announces upcoming events and calls for cast&crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I am about looking to get a better camera than my Nikon D5100, in terms of picture quality or just having more useful features in general - the Nikon dslrs leave a lot to be desired on the backend.

I have some decent Nikon lenses I'd want to continue using - to that end, what should I be looking for here? I have about $1300 to work with. I was considering one of the blackmagic cameras, even the pocket cinema camera would be a pretty major improvement in a lot of ways but I heard some flange distance issues might make some lenses unusable.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Hbomberguy posted:

I am about looking to get a better camera than my Nikon D5100, in terms of picture quality or just having more useful features in general - the Nikon dslrs leave a lot to be desired on the backend.

I have some decent Nikon lenses I'd want to continue using - to that end, what should I be looking for here? I have about $1300 to work with. I was considering one of the blackmagic cameras, even the pocket cinema camera would be a pretty major improvement in a lot of ways but I heard some flange distance issues might make some lenses unusable.

I use Nikon F & G lenses with this Metabones Speed Booster on my BMPCC without any issues.

If you find a special on the BMPCC you could pick up one and the speedbooster for around your budget. I think it's pretty particular with which SD cards will or won't work with it- not sure if that's normal or not as this was my first camera, but that's another potential cost to consider I suppose.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're shooting Prores only it's fairly flexible on what cards will work, but iirc raw recording requires the Sandisk 95mb/s Extreme Pros.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Do any of you have any information about getting insurance to cover equipment while shooting in areas with a moderate theft risk?

Are there any other legal formalities I should be aware of if I'm filming a documentary outside of the US with plans to try to show it around as much as possible in the US when it's done? I know I need permits where I will be filming.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We didn't have to talk to anyone special to get our rented gear insured for a shoot in Brazil in an area with moderate theft risk. It was expensive as gently caress, but it was through our normal insurance company.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

powderific posted:

We didn't have to talk to anyone special to get our rented gear insured for a shoot in Brazil in an area with moderate theft risk. It was expensive as gently caress, but it was through our normal insurance company.

I'm just some guy. I don't have a normal insurance company that would cover my gear.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can purchase an insurance policy as an individual. Just ask for a quote

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We got it through productioninsurnace.com and I've had other policies as just some guy through other companies. I don't think they really care. We had to go through them in addition to our normal insurance because our normal insurance didn't cover outside the US.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Does anyone have a particular recommendation for "just some guy" coverage? Looking for primarily DICE coverage with the ability to purchase additional short term film coverage.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm a little confused about something. The Panasonic GH4 is capable of outputting 4k 4:2:2 10bit over HDMI, and the documentation implies this would be 100Mbps data rate.

The Atomos Shogun website says that the data rate depends on the camera, but in their FAQ, they say that the highest quality (ProRes HQ) requires 880Mbps.

Can I record 4k with the Shogun using a more reasonable data rate without much sacrifice in quality? 100Mbps would be fine, but 880Mbps is more than I can deal with.

Alternatively: please convince me I should just get a Panasonic G7 and record internally. That would shave like $3,000+ off the gear budget.

edit: G7 has no global shutter option :whitewater:

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neither does the GH4? What made you think it had a global shutter?

And if you're only going to record 4k at 100mbps anyway, why wouldn't you use the 100mbps in-camera codec? You aren't going to get more quality without upping the bitrate. I'm puzzled as to what your reasoning was behind the solution you're looking at.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

powderific posted:

Neither does the GH4? What made you think it had a global shutter?

And if you're only going to record 4k at 100mbps anyway, why wouldn't you use the 100mbps in-camera codec? You aren't going to get more quality without upping the bitrate. I'm puzzled as to what your reasoning was behind the solution you're looking at.

For some reason I thought the latest GH4 firmware had a global shutter option but I can't find that again so I guess it doesn't.

The GH4 only records internally with 4:2:0 8-bit, so I thought it would be worthwhile to record externally with 4:2:2 10 bit. I am pretty new to this stuff.

edit: I'm still wide open to suggestions

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DNova posted:

For some reason I thought the latest GH4 firmware had a global shutter option but I can't find that again so I guess it doesn't.

The GH4 only records internally with 4:2:0 8-bit, so I thought it would be worthwhile to record externally with 4:2:2 10 bit. I am pretty new to this stuff.

Global Shutter is a physical shutter mechanism built into the camera, firmware can't add that. Very few 'affordable' cameras offer a global shutter which is why I was so excited about that new Black Magic drone camera they showed off at NAB. $999-1200 gets you 1920x1080 with 13 stops of dynamic range and a global shutter, but no built in monitor.

1st AD posted:

Except for that weird Aaton Penelope camera, I don't think any global shutter digital camera had an actual mechanical shutter. Global shutter in this context usually refers to reading out the entire sensor instead of line-skipping.
My dreams...:( Maybe you could add that with a firmware update.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Except for that weird Aaton Penelope camera, I don't think any global shutter digital camera had an actual mechanical shutter. Global shutter in this context usually refers to reading out the entire sensor instead of line-skipping.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Global shutter is not all that important, even the Alexa has an electronic rolling shutter. It's all about how fast the sensor reads.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

What are you gonna be shooting? If you were going go go to all the bother of an external recorder I feel like an A7s would be better. The GH4's internal codec isn't bad. It seems like you're budgeting a lot of money for just the camera setup for someone who's new to the stuff.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

powderific posted:

What are you gonna be shooting? If you were going go go to all the bother of an external recorder I feel like an A7s would be better. The GH4's internal codec isn't bad. It seems like you're budgeting a lot of money for just the camera setup for someone who's new to the stuff.

I am very likely going overboard on the camera budget, but it's very easy to start thinking that for only a few hundred dollars more I can have [feature/quality] and before you know it things are out of hand. I suppose that the GH4 + Atomos Shogun is really a bit much, but I keep leading myself back down that route.

This would all be for a documentary I am planning to shoot maybe 18 months from now if I still like the idea by then. I have basically no experience in video production so at the moment I'm not in a very good position but hopefully I will learn a few things between now and then so it's not a complete trainwreck.

Right now I'm exploring equipment options and working up a rough budget. I realize that things can change a lot in 18 months, but if anything it would be cheaper then for the same equipment I'm considering today. Of course I might also convince myself to buy whatever is new then too. I'm budgeting for 90 days of shooting abroad with a hired translator/guide/assistant.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

1st AD posted:

If I recall correctly the F55 has a mechanical shutter, and I think it's possible to get one on certain versions of the Alexa. Still neither common nor important.

A stills-style camera body is already kind of impractical for documentary shooting. Add a gigantic recorder to it and you've just thrown out the main reason why people shoot with them, IE to avoid looking like you're shooting a movie. If you're in the position to drop four large on a documentary cam the popular option is the C100.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't care what it looks like I am doing (my subjects will be fully aware of what is going on and I have no reason to try to be sneaky), but I want to strike a sensible balance with the costs. I think I'm already in a bit too deep with with the GH4 and external recorder, so the C100 is not really on my radar unless they sell at a steep discount used. I also feel compelled to shoot 4k, which might be silly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure some would disagree, but I really don't think it'd be worth adding the external recorder to a GH4. The internal codec is already pretty alright. Also, the C100 mk1 is cheaper than a GH4 and Shogun.

Do you have lenses, audio, support, etc.? If you're buying all this stuff new I'd look at your whole budget instead of just thinking about the camera.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

powderific posted:

I'm sure some would disagree, but I really don't think it'd be worth adding the external recorder to a GH4. The internal codec is already pretty alright. Also, the C100 mk1 is cheaper than a GH4 and Shogun.

Do you have lenses, audio, support, etc.? If you're buying all this stuff new I'd look at your whole budget instead of just thinking about the camera.

My thought process on the Shogun was that it would be nice to have an external monitor and then ~slippery slope~ and I ended up with the idea of having an external recorder. It would be much simpler and cheaper to record internally, and it is very nice to hear that the GH4 pretty alright at doing so. Keeping everything else the same and eliminating the Shogun saves a serious amount of money.

I don't have my notes with me right now but my budget is as comprehensive as I know to make it at this point. Cameras, lens(es), audio, travel expenses, and everything I know to include, down to a daily food budget. I haven't budgeted anything at all for post-production though.

I'm using the prices I can find online for new stuff but I am completely willing to buy used. I would probably re-sell most of the gear when I finish to reduce the total cost.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DNova posted:

My thought process on the Shogun was that it would be nice to have an external monitor and then ~slippery slope~ and I ended up with the idea of having an external recorder. It would be much simpler and cheaper to record internally, and it is very nice to hear that the GH4 pretty alright at doing so. Keeping everything else the same and eliminating the Shogun saves a serious amount of money.
If you're going to go with a Shogun, you might as well get an a7S. Using a Shogun with a GH4 probably doesn't give you as much value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCWF8lu7OQ

OTOH, the a7RII, just announced, does internal 4K *and* has the sweet 5-axis image stabilization.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you're going to go with a Shogun, you might as well get an a7S. Using a Shogun with a GH4 probably doesn't give you as much value:

OTOH, the a7RII, just announced, does internal 4K *and* has the sweet 5-axis image stabilization.

I wish this guy would have compared the a7s + Shogun with GH4 4k internal.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

You can find the C100 Mark 1 used for around three grand these days.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or the just announced A7rII with internal 4k and 5 axis IBIS :getin:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I need a review of the rII asap so I can decide between that and the Ursa mini :smith:

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
You can get a brand new C100 M1 for $2999. Incredible value. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just found a Panasonic dvx100b at the thrift store for $35 last night but it doesn't have a charger and looks like a third party battery.

I'm thinking I should probably just get one of those dirt cheap charger/battery combos off Amazon to see if it even works at all before I spend any actual money on it?

Is there a place to buy actual good batteries for this can camera that don't run around $100?

Also for the FireWire connection... I assume the best route to go there is an expansion card in the PC then use the connection directly to the camera? Or is there a USB mini dv tape reader I should look into or something?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Generics work perfectly fine, maybe slightly lower capacities over time compared to OEM, but the price allows you to buy shitload of them.

Also only a FireWire card will work. I don't think a USB host adapter actually exists/works.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

1st AD posted:

Generics work perfectly fine, maybe slightly lower capacities over time compared to OEM, but the price allows you to buy shitload of them.

Also only a FireWire card will work. I don't think a USB host adapter actually exists/works.

Cool, thanks. Hopefully the camera itself actually works :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Working on a 48 hr film project that's on a sail boat with a lax AD, we're already hours behind and haven't shot anything on our A cam yet, send prayers that we finish by sunset.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Slim Pickens posted:

Working on a 48 hr film project that's on a sail boat with a lax AD, we're already hours behind and haven't shot anything on our A cam yet, send prayers that we finish by sunset.

How'd it turn out?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Better than I thought it would. I'm surprised it didn't fall apart, the director basically started doing the AD's job so he was rushing though any semblance of blocking or direction and just yelling at us to shoot.

"How do you want this framed?"
"Just shoot it! Action!"

Also riding in a 12 ft aluminum boat on choppy waters, trying to keep pace with a sail boat putting out its own wake at full sail was sketchy as gently caress. I'm glad we didn't get any salt water on the camera body. Or fall in the water for that matter.

At least the drone footage was nice.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My buddy is DPing for a feature around here, and had this happen.

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/24/fugitive-caught-on-the-set-of-a-small-budget-movie/

My buddy says they showed up to arrest the guy a couple hours after he wrapped his last scene, so no rewrites!:woop: Anyone else have this happen to them?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slim Pickens posted:

My buddy is DPing for a feature around here, and had this happen.

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/24/fugitive-caught-on-the-set-of-a-small-budget-movie/

My buddy says they showed up to arrest the guy a couple hours after he wrapped his last scene, so no rewrites!:woop: Anyone else have this happen to them?

well I guess his next job sort of writes itself

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boss wants to start making films. We're in manufacturing and other than making little promotional videos we're clueless, but both have passion for film (and he has money). He's not going to want to break the bank on.a $40,000 camera. What is the best option for around $3k? I've seen some really nice.stuff shot with Ursa but I see mixed reviews about Black Magic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ButtWolf posted:

My boss wants to start making films. We're in manufacturing and other than making little promotional videos we're clueless, but both have passion for film (and he has money). He's not going to want to break the bank on.a $40,000 camera. What is the best option for around $3k? I've seen some really nice.stuff shot with Ursa but I see mixed reviews about Black Magic.

BlackMagic is fine, they just have some hiccups here and there from being a relatively small company. But lemme tell you... $3K isn't going to cut it. That MAY get you a body. Then you're talking lenses, lights, tripods, grip gear, kittting up your camera, all of the post production equipment you need to actually do stuff with the footage. The body ends up being the cheap part.

What kind of movies do you want to make? Going out and buying a bunch of gear isn't really going to make you filmmakers... especially gear you're unfamiliar with. If you have the money then you should look for people that have gear, but want people with ideas and money to make films with. Team up with them!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ButtWolf posted:

I'd say get a cheaper camera body from a couple years ago like a GH2 (~$600) and a couple nice lenses for it. And then, a Zoom h4n for recording, maybe a shotgun mic, maybe a couple wired lav mics, depending on what works best for what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonoMan posted:

BlackMagic is fine, they just have some hiccups here and there from being a relatively small company. But lemme tell you... $3K isn't going to cut it. That MAY get you a body. Then you're talking lenses, lights, tripods, grip gear, kittting up your camera, all of the post production equipment you need to actually do stuff with the footage. The body ends up being the cheap part.

What kind of movies do you want to make? Going out and buying a bunch of gear isn't really going to make you filmmakers... especially gear you're unfamiliar with. If you have the money then you should look for people that have gear, but want people with ideas and money to make films with. Team up with them!

Yeah, we realize everything will suck at first. We just need a jumping off point. We want to do the work and learn the trade not just pump out a product. I figured spending maybe $1500 on a body, $700 on lenses and $800 on tripods and extra batteries and miscellaneous gear. We'd probably end up making a lot of the gear DIY. Right now, it's wanting to learn and it's a hobby, in hopes that we can eventually do something worthwhile. We want to have fun with it. We have Adobe sub so I have speedgrade, premiere, after effects, etc... (Haven't used em yet). I'm not a complete noob to cameras and editing, just need a lot of practice.

We're going to start with a bunch of just nature tests and interiors to get everything down. Operating, lighting, editing, grading. Then maybe some shorts.

We are in a good position to start, I think. I think we may be leaning towards GH4 or Sony AX100.

Also, for starter lenses: 18-55mm? and maybe a 55-200mm?

Anyone have a really good website with a lot of info? Most that I find on cameras is just threads asking what I'm asking with no replies.

Thanks!

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 20, 2015